Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I seem to recall Arrows being nice enough in that it really is a rare treat to draw heavy inspiration from non-Eurocentric sources, and he did an okay job at it. It still kind of mediocred game-wise because he didn't really go all that far to change the system to suit the setting, so you've got "racial templates" made out of castes which is honestly kind of hosed up, and jamming a mishmash of the variety of Indian mythic "races" into what appear to be pretty bog-standard D&D analogs. It's also got some eye-glazing Random Tables of Whatever, but that's down to taste so who cares. The bulk of its sins are far from unique in this industry nor are they especially egregious, and it's admirable that it tried to be modestly different.

Of course, he patted himself on the back relentlessly. (I don't think the trans person ever really came up until now, though. Hmm!) Even if he weren't a raging rear end in a top hat, you get to the point where you can barely stop the eye-rolling long enough to congratulate him for what he did right. The F&F here was pretty aggressive and uncharitable at first—surprise rear end in a top hat, people think you're an rear end in a top hat!—but once Pundit sermonized about it to his congregation, the reviewer actually reconsidered and changed his approach. I doubt Pundit cared other than that SA was "attacking" him again, so he probably didn't follow the review to its close, but if he did I never saw any sign that he talked about the change in perspective.

I suppose Lords of Olympus kind of falls into the same boat where it's honestly an okay-ish game and most of the splash it makes is because its author is a gaping anus.

If you want to take Pundit to task for his game design, look at Forward…to Adventure! I think it's his debut work and is pretty "original" to him (even though it carries as much D&D baggage as it can). It is a pile and the art is hilarious.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

PleasingFungus posted:

If I tell you that you're not, will you be angry?

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's a test

embrace your destiny, evil sagan

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i think it's a test

embrace your destiny, evil sagan

What? Get the gently caress off my boyfriend.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are you talking about

i thought we were joking about the outrage brigade and whether or not we are in it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

paging I AM THE MOON

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tollymain posted:

what are you talking about

i thought we were joking about the outrage brigade and whether or not we are in it

Sure I'm in the Outrage Brigade. My outrage is get the gently caress away from my boyfriend.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

No. Savage.

No, Savage.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Well done!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Darwinism posted:

I think that just posting here makes us part of the Ettin hivemind, so yeah we're definitely part of the Outrage Brigade
That is really hilarious given that unless there are two people with the same exact name posting one of Zak's most ardent defenders I have seen is the goon Seebs.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Stick with the prod, prod with the prod!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MadScientistWorking posted:

That is really hilarious given that unless there are two people with the same exact name posting one of Zak's most ardent defenders I have seen is the goon Seebs.

Wait, Seebs is a goon? They're stalking my Tumblr now because when making a post about Zak and the awful things he's done I called out Seebs (whose post was linked by the person I was responding) for making a lovely and transphobic argument to defend Zak and Mandy. Now Seebs is accusing me of being a sockpuppet. (Note: My Tumblr name is the exact same name I use here and on like every other site I go on where it's not already taken; I have been using it for years.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 8, 2014

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Deep down, we are all Mikan.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

No, Savage!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

No. Savage.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Arivia posted:

Sure I'm in the Outrage Brigade. My outrage is get the gently caress away from my boyfriend.

I'm outraged at people having relationships

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Captain Foo posted:

I'm outraged at people having relationships
Other people are not allowed to be happy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I ate some couscous with eggs, fried cheese and orange juice... Trés bon!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Roland Jones posted:

Wait, Seebs is a goon? They're stalking my Tumblr now because when making a post about Zak and the awful things he's done I called out Seebs (whose post was linked by the person I was responding) for making a lovely and transphobic argument to defend Zak and Mandy. Now Seebs is accusing me of being a sockpuppet. (Note: My Tumblr name is the exact same name I use here and on like every other site I go on where it's not already taken; I have been using it for years.)

I read his rebuttal to you, and his obsession with jump cuts suggests, in my professional opinion, that he's loving nutzo and a big cowardly codfish, and my gang of fourteen disabled QUILTBAG communi-fascist monarchist women of color will back me up on this.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
How do I join the Outrage Brigade? Everybody seems to be in on it but I can't find the recruitment office.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

I read his rebuttal to you, and his obsession with jump cuts suggests, in my professional opinion, that he's loving nutzo and a big cowardly codfish, and my gang of fourteen disabled QUILTBAG communi-fascist monarchist women of color will back me up on this.

The rebuttal is even more obscene that the post I called out as transphobic, really; using "trans friends" as tools to strengthen their argument, repeatedly denying someone's transness, and calling for a poll to determine if someone was truly outed are downright abhorrent. Accusing Read Mores of being a tactic to stifle debate and trigger warnings as attempts at defamation are just the crazy icing on the cake of horribleness.

Also my post amuses me because apparently it's been on Twitter and G+ and circulated on those networks more than it has on Tumblr, which is where I actually posted it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

How do I join the Outrage Brigade? Everybody seems to be in on it but I can't find the recruitment office.

I dunno, I thought I was part of it but apparently I'm really a secret identity used by other members of the brigade, including but not limited to Mikan.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 8, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
They recruit from the same offices as the Jewish Conspiracy and the UN Council for Taking Over the World. Have you tried there?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 8, 2014

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Roland Jones posted:

Wait, Seebs is a goon?

They posted in the D&D Next thread quite a few times recently. It's not a new account.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Roland Jones posted:

The rebuttal is even more obscene that the post I called out as transphobic, really; using "trans friends" as tools to strengthen their argument, repeatedly denying someone's transness, and calling for a poll to determine if someone was outed are downright abhorrent. Accusing Read Mores of being a tactic to stifle debate and trigger warnings as attempts at defamation are just the crazy icing on the cake of horribleness.

Also my post amuses me because apparently it's been on Twitter and G+ and circulated on those networks more than it has on Tumblr, which is where I actually posted it.

I dunno, I thought I was part of it but apparently I'm really a secret identity used by other members of the brigade, including but not limited to Mikan.

Seriously, though, having your imaginary friends suggest you should be violent is a real sign you should get Baker Acted into getting help. Actually, just using imaginary friends that write exactly like you do is a big sign you should get help.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Slimnoid posted:

Ugh why did you remind me of that poo poo.

I don't know, it was a terrible post. Sorry.

Plague of Hats posted:

I suppose Lords of Olympus kind of falls into the same boat where it's honestly an okay-ish game and most of the splash it makes is because its author is a gaping anus.

Yeah, it's basically just a reskinned Amber, it's not particularly offensive. It's not particularly interesting, either.

Plague of Hats posted:

If you want to take Pundit to task for his game design, look at Forward…to Adventure! I think it's his debut work and is pretty "original" to him (even though it carries as much D&D baggage as it can). It is a pile and the art is hilarious.

It's a pretty classic heartbreaker, right down to the bullish lack of self-awareness.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Roland Jones posted:

The rebuttal is even more obscene that the post I called out as transphobic, really; using "trans friends" as tools to strengthen their argument, repeatedly denying someone's transness, and calling for a poll to determine if someone was truly outed are downright abhorrent. Accusing Read Mores of being a tactic to stifle debate and trigger warnings as attempts at defamation are just the crazy icing on the cake of horribleness.

Ripping into Seebs isn't even worth the time and effort because he'll either avoid the topic altogether, or he'll post this huge multi-paragraph tl;dr screed that makes your eyes glaze over.

Which is pretty typical of a goon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slimnoid posted:

Ripping into Seebs isn't even worth the time and effort because he'll either avoid the topic altogether, or he'll post this huge multi-paragraph tl;dr screed that makes your eyes glaze over.

Which is pretty typical of a goon.

Yea isn't his MO either pretending he didn't see your complaint or posting a huge epic poem about how 'no actually you are the fucker' that's practically designed to be so dense and lovely no one sane can read it?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea isn't his MO either pretending he didn't see your complaint or posting a huge epic poem about how 'no actually you are the fucker' that's practically designed to be so dense and lovely no one sane can read it?

Right on the money, honey.

Edit: speaking of ignoring complaints.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Got just two paragraphs in before my eyes just sliiiiiiiiiiiiiid off the screen.

I think it was a Simpsons joke about an English guy or something, "You take forever to say nothing".

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Snort.

"And while I guess I sorta like Zak now, I came into this having no idea who he was, so it’s not some kind of personal loyalty thing."

"You know what? I’ve had a 'run in' with Zak. I traded email with him. I disagreed with him about stuff. He was pretty civil, and I learned a lot from the conversation."

I was thinking just the same level of dumb that led Seebs to think (say) that Bush wouldn't really try to restrict social freedoms, but nah, it's worse.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Who cares about some tumblr dumbass :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
What if he's a tumblr dumbass and a goon with bad opinions? That pertain to elfgames!

I mean there's no helldumping in g.txt so

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ettin posted:

The same people who care about Zak and Tarnowski.

Us.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

What if he's a tumblr dumbass and a goon with bad opinions? That pertain to elfgames!

I mean there's no helldumping in g.txt so

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Good to see the Doxxnet working fast enough to find their names.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

In the game room sits a grognard
And a wizard by his sheet
And he carries the reminders
Of all the dice that did not crit
And failed him till he cries out
In his anger but no shame
"I'm a caster, this is bullshit!"
Yea, the catpiss still remains

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Captain Foo posted:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonis I like that your avatar makes you seem like a scrappy underdog because it makes you more humble and lovable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Have you tried looking

in your heart?

• Locked thread