Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

tbh Finnish vodka is best anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

A real life human being has thought to themselves "Yes, posting a bunch of racist poo poo on the internet is a great way to defend free speech and get people on my side". It's truly amazing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

It's a Getup style social media campaign for people who can't work those newfangled computer machines.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Maybe all you vodka-swilling idiots will finally turn to the correct white spirit:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
if you can't appreciate a good vodka you probably don't appreciate liquor

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tokamak posted:

Telstra's copper supports DSL 2+, which is both national and broadband (by the classic definition of the term). I don't see any issues with advertising it as a National Broadband Network; it is merely a statement of fact.
Is this an irony post?

What about the common perception that NBN is the project that the NBN Co was created for and represents fibre to the home? Surely nobody could confuse the two? Especially when Telstra deliberately refer to it as THE NBN and suggest it is now being rolled out, while offering exactly what was available in your region anyway.

http://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/broadband/nbn/

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jumpingmanjim posted:

With no vodka for cruisers, millions of teenage girls (and Endman) will have no choice but to switch to goon.

Mate.

Les Affaires posted:

Maybe all you vodka-swilling idiots will finally turn to the correct white spirit:

A correct post.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Endman posted:

Mate.

A correct post.

You drink gin and tonic from a can mate.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

Problem is that the methods* in various disciplines aren't easily comparable if you go beyond the broad, hand-wavy principles. A theoretical population biologist is going to struggle to make an informed assessment of the scientific validity of an analytical chemist's research, for example, because they're unlikely have the training in the scientific method as employed by analytical chemists.

*ie actual methods for statistical inference/hypothesis testing, falsification etc

this is very true. and then people with economics degrees come in and try to claim they are scientists or mathematicians too, not part of those ugly social science disciplines :laffo:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

Mate.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Captain Pissweak posted:

tbh Finnish vodka is best anyway.

Finlandia :allears:

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Les Affaires posted:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lols

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Pissweak posted:

Correct.

Can in question, to scale:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Captain Pissweak posted:

I drank it from a can once to see what it was like. As expected, it was poo poo.

My normal gin is Tanqueray with a slice of cucumber. It's good!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

I think the gist was that someone who has completed a science degree should have some vague understanding of the scientific method and peer review for example.

You certainly have a high opinion of scientists that does not reflect reality. Science and Philosophy of Science are two different things, and most of the former have not been educated in the latter. The "Science, gently caress yeah"/"Science, it works" kind of people treat some naive notion of 'The Scientific Method' as dogma.

Amethyst posted:

That guy's got a hosed up voice.

Drinking toxic sludge will do that to you.

Cartoon posted:

Is this an irony post?

I'm the Official Telstra Rep for the Something Awful forums. My records tell me that your residence falls outside of our copper network's coverage area for an NBN grade connection. You'll have to wait until the NBNCo NBN is built. Apologies for the confusion the marketing may have caused you.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

With no vodka for cruisers, millions of teenage girls (and Endman) will have no choice but to switch to goon.

Maybe it was the goon manufacturers that shot down MH17... :tinfoil:

Interesting fact, after the Berlin Wall came down, Smirnoff made a lot of money by selling Vodka to Soviet troops, a market they had previously been entirely cut off from.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Was three seconds away from straight-up punching this arrogant gently caress of an Immigration department desk jockey in the throat today.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

i am imagining putin holding up a "srlsly?" sign ludlam-style with that face

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Les Affaires posted:

A Good Critique

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

U monster

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I love gin and the monarchy

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Haters Objector posted:

I love gin and the monarchy

an Endman post

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I'm making my brother habanero infused vodka for his birthday to take care of some of my weird winter habanero glut. I'm going to keep most of it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Victorian Liberals are loving over their Coalition mates the Nationals by fielding a candidate for the safe Nats seat of Euroa.

Nats are mad about it, but not mad enough to leave the Coalition

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-08/government-seeks-to-privatise-medicare-payments/5659114

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Colour me surprised.

And also really pissed off.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

You Am I posted:

Victorian Liberals are loving over their Coalition mates the Nationals by fielding a candidate for the safe Nats seat of Euroa.

Nats are mad about it, but not mad enough to leave the Coalition

The country party won't leave the Coalition because looking redundant is worse than being redundant.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

And now we sit here twiddling our thumbs and let it happen.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

That is the dumbest loving idea they've had, and they've had some loving doozies jesus loving christ

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Governments do not create jobs. So privatising medicare processing and sacking everyone means that thousands of new jobs will be created, jobs for Australia.

*farts*

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
There are going to be some huge protests over this.

Considering everything else they've backed down from, I'm not worried yet.

If they win the next election this country deserves everything it gets.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Les Affaires posted:

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Real Aussies drink BEER ya buncha flamin' poofas! :australia: :boonie:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Hey tokamak I'm pretty sure I explicitly stated that's what things should be, not an accurate representation of things as they currently are.

Brought to you on my phone while standing in line to make a Medicare claim at 7-11

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
And I swear to god if anyone tries to claim that picking 7-11 is motivated by racism rather than their appalling treatment of staff and prevalence I will rip this thread apart with my bare hands

deathofmusic
Jan 3, 2001
Taking a break from the regularly scheduled Friday night vodka to see what Frances Abbott's teacher has to say about her being awarded a free education.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/frances-abbotts-teacher-says-she-didnt-deserve-scholarship-20140808-102329.html

quote:

A design academic who taught the Prime Minister’s daughter and has been caught in a leaking scandal has brought a legal claim against his former employer saying he was effectively dismissed – and he has added Tony Abbott as a respondent to the action.

Academic Melletios Kyriakidis is at the centre of a storm over how the Whitehouse Institute, a private design school with Liberal Party connections, awarded a scholarship worth some $60,000 to Mr Abbott’s daughter Frances in 2011.

In May this year, Mr Kyriakidis leaked news of the scholarship to the media and was investigated by his employer for breaching student privacy. He resigned in June but has now brought an adverse action complaint in the Fair Work Commission alleging he was constructively dismissed and discriminated against for his political beliefs.

He has brought the claim against Whitehouse Institute and four other individuals including Mr Abbott .

Speaking in an interview with afr.com for the first time since the affair broke, he said he was “morally outraged” by the waiving of Ms Abbott’s tuition fees, particularly given the government’s plans to increase the cost of degrees.

“If you are going to put a budget out there and say you all have to do it tough, you have to lead by example,” Mr Kyriakidis said. He taught Ms Abbott over three years.

He questioned whether Mr Abbott’s daughter was worthy of a merit scholarship, saying while she was a hard-working “high achiever” who got a distinction for portfolio design, “there were a lot more people more deserving [of a scholarship]”.

“Even from her class I could name 10 people more deserving either for merit or financial need or both,” he said. He added that he knew of other “more deserving” students who tried to get a scholarship and were rebuffed.

He also expressed his sadness at Ms Abbott being caught up in the affair.

“Frances is a lovely person. I don’t want this to be about her but I want this to be about fairness.” Mr Kyriakidis said he leaked to the press because he believed he was a whistle-blower.

MPs must disclose gifts above $750 that go to dependent children.

Mr Abbott has resolutely said his daughter’s scholarship was awarded on grounds of merit and did not need to be disclosed. In his FWC case, Mr Kyriakidis alleges Mr Abbott should have disclosed the scholarship .

Mr Kyriakidis is being represented by Harmers Workplace Lawyers, the firm that acted for James Ashby in his sexual harassment case against former federal Speaker Peter Slipper.

On May 20, Mr Kyriakidis swapped emails with another staff member, Freya Newman, who has been charged with hacking into computer records. Mr Kyriakidis maintains he was never involved in accessing records illegally and Ms Newman declines to comment.

Mr Kyriakidis admitted that while still working for the Whitehouse Institute he emailed journalists and politicians on May 14 urging them to investigate Ms Abbott’s fees being waived.

Asked about Mr Kyriakidis’s claims, Whitehouse chief executive Ian Tudor said “we have consistently stated that the awarding of the scholarship to Frances Abbott was discretionary and based on merit”.

“We are appalled that a teacher would actively seek to comment publicly on the comparative academic merit of a former student merely to justify his own behaviour,” he said. Mr Tudor has previously said the adverse action claim was “without merit”.

Mr Abbott’s office did not respond before deadline. The FWC matter will go to a private conciliation hearing next Tuesday in Sydney.

deathofmusic fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

• Locked thread