Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
He should probably just stick to not-writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, it might of been. It really doesn't matter at this point but I figured I'd bring it up because someone asked. I don't think a person like that should be writing fiction, especially an ending to a franchise people are strongly attached to, but what's done is done. We can only hope they don't repeat that mistake with future games.

The real amusement and fun comes from how Bioware handled the whole situation. A friend of mine was in PR for a short while and he told me they pretty much did everything wrong and it was a very amusing trainwreck to watch from the sidelines. And indeed it was, more entertaining than the actual game if you ask me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

The real amusement and fun comes from how Bioware handled the whole situation. A friend of mine was in PR for a short while and he told me they pretty much did everything wrong and it was a very amusing trainwreck to watch from the sidelines. And indeed it was, more entertaining than the actual game if you ask me.
I'd like to hear the specifics of this (in terms of what they SHOULD have done) if you remember them.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I for one am glad that unlike Microsoft Sony does not completely disable your psn account for missing a PS+ payment because you forgot your credit card expired and instead simply disables the + portion. Thank you Sony and thank you again for giving me Crysis 3 for free.

Oh and uh gently caress bioware for ruining dragon age I don't even understand how inquisition got thru after that last massive failure

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Unfortunately it's been such a long time I honestly can't remember all of it. I do remember they took down the forums for a couple of hours because they couldn't handle all the negative feedback. Then there was the cupcake incident which was the funniest loving thing I've seen any fanbase do to a company. I do remember the Bioware forums become decent for a few days while people with formulated opinions and with PR knowledge came out and posted what they thought and how Bioware was handling the situations (which drowned out the irrational folk who were screaming bloody murder and the shippers).

The community also did manage to raise 25k (I think it was) for Childsplay after the ending debacle too. Plus you had a ton of youtube videos pop up mocking the enthusiast press for their equally knee-jerk reaction to the ending as the more... passionate fans had. A lot of funny content out there on the situation that came out around that time. Regardless of your opinion of the ending, the reaction and response to it was insanely huge and one of those big moments in gaming history.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Feenix posted:

A lot of times you get into these map/boards where you can barely move and end up taking damage or loving things up or something. It just feels a bit too unforgiving.
It gets so much worse. I've been stuck on Year 14, and I just keep failing and respawning so I'm not keeping any good items. The puzzles get pretty ridiculous, and in a "the randomization just completely screwed me" way, not a challenging way. Will O Wisps kill children, multiple rooms in one dungeon spawn them directly next to children? What are you supposed to do about that? Game's pretty well balanced until about half way through, though!

Edit: There was like a 100+ page thread just for complaining about the Mass Effect ending, we really need to do this here?

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 8, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I for one am glad that unlike Microsoft Sony does not completely disable your psn account for missing a PS+ payment because you forgot your credit card expired and instead simply disables the + portion. Thank you Sony and thank you again for giving me Crysis 3 for free.

Oh and uh gently caress bioware for ruining dragon age I don't even understand how inquisition got thru after that last massive failure

I'm enjoying Dragon Age 2 a whole lot more than Origins. And will probably like Inquisition even more. The real time combat suits it well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I mean, really, you can't blame the one guy for a terrible ending. Everyone gets terrible ideas sometimes. The bigger issue is that there was a team of writers that failed to check him on that ending. I just can't believe a group of people could look at that and agree that it was a fitting close to the trilogy.

Reminds me a lot of George Lucas and the prequel movies actually.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ularg posted:

I'm enjoying Dragon Age 2 a whole lot more than Origins. And will probably like Inquisition even more. The real time combat suits it well.

Inquisition looks like it might turn out pretty good but lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Dragon Age Origins was a good game and Dragon Age 2 would have been much better had there actually been some variety to the places you go instead of either going back to the same areas over and over or going to a new place that is identical to some place you've already been to.

Inquisition actually looks like it might be actually be a pretty good game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone wanna sell me their copy of Rayman Legends?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Whoops I confused him for the writer on ME3, Mac Walters.

Drew Karpyshyn wrote ME1 (along with just about all the previous Bioware stuff), then co-wrote 2 with Walters, and then had nothing to do with 3. Correlation and causation and all, but dang if the plot didn't trend downwards in that series.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
^^^ 2 was always my favorite \o/

PantsBandit posted:

I just can't believe a group of people could look at that and agree that it was a fitting close to the trilogy.

I think this was the bigger part of it. The reaction to that ending was fairly universal, lying somewhere on the spectrum between disappointment and outrage. How everyone working on it and all the writers could have seen it and not done something about it is sort of mind-boggling.

But anyway, this was on the last page but it bears repeating. Turn the LEDs down on your DS4 and you'll get a surprising amount of extra life from it. I keep mine on low and haven't had issues since.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Surlaw posted:

It gets so much worse. I've been stuck on Year 14, and I just keep failing and respawning so I'm not keeping any good items. The puzzles get pretty ridiculous, and in a "the randomization just completely screwed me" way, not a challenging way. Will O Wisps kill children, multiple rooms in one dungeon spawn them directly next to children? What are you supposed to do about that? Game's pretty well balanced until about half way through, though!

Wisps don't kill kids, they just warp them somewhere else (unless there's another kind of wisp I haven't run into yet.)

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

univbee posted:

No. Only controllers that are explicitly PS4-compatible will work (currently this means Dualshock 4, that $120 gamepad thingie whose name I forget, and the upcoming MadCatz Ultra SF4 stick).

If you're counting sticks, there's also:

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade-Hayabusa-PlayStation-4/dp/B00L6AVN5E

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, really, you can't blame the one guy for a terrible ending. Everyone gets terrible ideas sometimes. The bigger issue is that there was a team of writers that failed to check him on that ending. I just can't believe a group of people could look at that and agree that it was a fitting close to the trilogy.

Reminds me a lot of George Lucas and the prequel movies actually.

What allegedly happened was that Casey and Mac locked themselves in a room and wrote it in a night. Remember, they were the bosses, so they didn't have to listen to any checks, and supposedly this was really late in development. So you can kind of blame him and Mac for it, though I really think the broad strokes of the ending should have been known right from ME1. When your villains are a race of almighty 2km-long sentient death machines, I think it's important for you to figure out early exactly how and why they would be able to be defeated, otherwise you end up having to pull a deus ex machina out of your rear end down the road, which is what ME3 did.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spikey posted:

Wisps don't kill kids, they just warp them somewhere else (unless there's another kind of wisp I haven't run into yet.)

I didn't notice! Good to know. Spiders definitely do kill them though and I keep getting screwed over by those too.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I think this was the bigger part of it. The reaction to that ending was fairly universal, lying somewhere on the spectrum between disappointment and outrage. How everyone working on it and all the writers could have seen it and not done something about it is sort of mind-boggling.

As I stated above, Casey and Mac were the bosses and wrote the ending themselves at the tail end of development - it's likely they wouldn't listen to their underlings and/or didn't have the time. Given the brilliance the writing team put out in Citadel, which shows they haven't lost anything, I'm quite certain they didn't like the ending either - they just wouldn't be able to say anything. I wouldn't be shocked if in a few years the writers open up with their real feelings about ME3's conclusion.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Mass Effect 3 had like 5 writers plus Casey and Mac writing the ending, which is why the quality veers majorly between subplots and planets. That's not uncommon for big games--most open world ones usually have a main writer or two, then a few people (usually new, less experienced people) solely doing pedestrian dialogue--but if you don't have a fantastic team it won't work. One guy, for instance, wrote Tuchanka and the majority of Garrus' dialogue and was clearly the best of them; someone else did another mission and character, etc.

For Dragon Age 2, EA clearly pushed them to poo poo that out. It's absolutely insane to release what should be a 20-30 hour RPG with mostly original assets (remember that it has a new art style, so even returning enemies would need to be tweaked) only 1 year after the original. They probably had slightly longer than that, maybe 1 year 6 months max due to some people wrapping up their work on Origins being able to move on to the sequel before Origins released, but that's probably not going to result in a good game (it didn't.) I will say this: the loading screens are among the best I have ever seen, which is good since you see them so often.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

BreakAtmo posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if in a few years the writers open up with their real feelings about ME3's conclusion.

I for one would love to read those. I always was solidly on the side of disappointment, not really angry about it. It wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last time the ending to a story I liked was underwhelming.

Much like the short documentaries getting into detail about how The Phantom Menace was viewed by Lucas' staff, it would just be neat to read about what the ME team thought of it at the time, what they learned, and what they could have done differently if given a chance.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

bloodychill posted:

I for one would love to read those. I always was solidly on the side of disappointment, not really angry about it. It wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last time the ending to a story I liked was underwhelming.

Much like the short documentaries getting into detail about how The Phantom Menace was viewed by Lucas' staff, it would just be neat to read about what the ME team thought of it at the time, what they learned, and what they could have done differently if given a chance.

Man, I'd really like to see behind-the-scenes documentaries on big games anyway - I don't know why they are a thing for movies but not games in general.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Regardless of what people currently feel about ME3 or DA2 now, their collective legacies have made a lot of former fans and onlookers rightfully suspicious of if BioWare still has the ability to pull off good games or if EA will sabotage their work somehow yet again. It doesn't matter if the games take several years to smooth everything over or the stars align to make both Dragon Age: Inquisition or Mass Effect 4 absolutely perfect. People are going to remember the PR backlash both games generated when it comes to putting down another $69.99 for a special pre-order edition and it will cast a shadow over future BioWare games for possibly a good decade at the most.

I honestly hope the best for them, but they're going to need to earn their reputation back whether you think they still deserve to be blamed for their failures or not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arthe Xavier posted:

Man, I'd really like to see behind-the-scenes documentaries on big games anyway - I don't know why they are a thing for movies but not games in general.

The Final Hours of ME3 is actually free for 2 days.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-hours-mass-effect-3/id508355905?mt=8 (iPad, don't know if there's an android version).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I was honestly a lot more crushed. I've had stuff I like end kind of crappily before, but Mass Effect 3 was a game that I was more hyped for than anything else in years, and the ending sucked in every fashion (except the music and Mark's/Jennifer's voice acting). It also pissed me off when assholes were spouting the 'respect the creator's vision!' and 'stop demanding a new ending' horseshit. The creator's vision is far less of a catch-all defense when your trilogy has been constantly marketed as being about letting the player's choices influence things (it arguably becomes a euphemism for 'stubborn railroading'), and from my perspective I was more 'pleading for more endings in a game that was advertised as being about player choice and having a shitload of different endings'.

Oh well, it's largely in the wind now (unless I win half a billion dollars and can fund a redo of the trilogy :v:). Plus, we got Citadel, and holy poo poo, was that awesome.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Casey:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

Anyone else remember when Dragon Age was supposed to be a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine RPG's of BioWare's youth, like the Baldur's Gate series?

Yeah, me neither.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Crabtree posted:

Regardless of what people currently feel about ME3 or DA2 now, their collective legacies have made a lot of former fans and onlookers rightfully suspicious of if BioWare still has the ability to pull off good games or if EA will sabotage their work somehow yet again.

DA2 was probably EA's fault, but everything points to ME3 just being Bioware being given exactly enough rope to hang themselves without any outside help.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time people start talking about Mass Effect and Dragon Age it makes me kind of happy that I thought both of those series were boring and quit playing while I was ahead.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Secured the 83 day--12 week online trophy for the last of us. Now all I got is the SP trophies to finish up.

The Mp got a lot better when I started playing with goons and using communication, and being support healer.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Scyron posted:

Secured the 83 day--12 week online trophy for the last of us. Now all I got is the SP trophies to finish up.

The Mp got a lot better when I started playing with goons and using communication, and being support healer.

You have to do it again for the other faction :D

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I'm very, very slowly getting to grips with Road Not Taken. There's a lot of obtuse mechanics in there.

For example, I finally figured out how to get the basement of the house open. If you smash the pots in the house, you can recombine them by throwing the fragments into your cat (naturally...), but if you mix the remnants of a small pot and a big pot you make a stool (again, naturally...).

Now if you get two stools, there's one by the entrance, and combine them a Ghost Girl will spawn. I believe if you walk into her to make her vanish, then wait until the next year, the lock on the basement will break. Once you're down in the basement, you can 'ban' certain things from appearing in the forest on your next run -- this is where animals like raccoons and bees go if you receive them as a reward from the townsfolk.

Here's a few other obtuse mechanics I've figured out so far:
- With the red and blue stones switching colours, it took me a while to recognise why they were changing sometimes and sometimes not, it seemed inconsistent. Basically, red stones always turn to blue if you throw them, but blue will only turn red if you throw them either south or west.
- Children can turn into precocious children if you throw them near a fire. This causes them to follow after you, and makes it much easier to rescue them if no parents are near.
- Four bears together form a giant bear, this giant bear can be picked up and throw to spawn a honey pot for energy. You can also combine three bears to form a bear statue, if you need one.

That all said, I still haven't made it past year five.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

But do you like it?

(I'm away from my PS4 for the week else I'd have tried it myself).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seedge posted:

You have to do it again for the other faction :D

TLOU might have the lamest, grindiest, most unfun trophy set I have ever seen in a game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Scyron posted:

As long as you spot enemies - in-game and in voice chat - you're already a huge asset to your team. Assuming they speak your language and listen to you, of course, but goons always do.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Rinkles posted:

But do you like it?

(I'm away from my PS4 for the week else I'd have tried it myself).

I'm not entirely sure it's a good game just yet, but I feel the need to try and understand it. It seems like there's the potential for a good game under there, but I'd agree with the opinion other people have expressed in this thread that it would be better served with set puzzle pieces rather than the wholly randomised aspect of it.

A lot of the combinations are really weird, and make little sense. e.g. Three Imps = Parent; Bear Statue + Mortar = Ice, and the like. I guess they want you to experiment, but there doesn't seem to be any overall logic to some of them, which means you have to brute force things until you find out which items actually combo in a meaningful way.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
If I go over to a freinds tonight will I be able to login to PSN on his PS4 to use my save for The Last of Us?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

TLOU might have the lamest, grindiest, most unfun trophy set I have ever seen in a game.

I like it. None of the trophies (save the DLC MP ones) are easy to get. They're almost like....achievements :aaa: They don't hand you a reward just for wiping your own rear end unlike a lot of games today.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I looked over the last few pages (this thread moves loving fast), and didn't see it posted, but if you're planning on double-dipping on Diablo 3, this link is for you: clicky.

The big news here is that you can export your save across platforms, meaning that the many, many hours my wife and I sunk into playing D3 on 360 will roll right over onto the PS4. They had previously announced it would work PS3>PS4, but going across platforms is new (to me). Weirdly enough, the Sony blog didn't mention this, but Xbox's Major Nelson tweeted a link to it.

Now I just need a sweet deal on a new controller for the wife. I really wish they made better color variations of the DS4, the red/blue ones look ugly. I want a solid white one.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Q. Will I be able to transfer my game data from PC to console for Ultimate Evil Edition?

A. No.

Well gently caress you then

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

NESguerilla posted:

I did three journeys on PS3 and I see myself doing more on PS4. Or do you mean the single player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Hey Aussies / Euros, MGS: Ground Zeroes is finally on sale for half price on our PSN store. There was no way in hell I was paying $40 Australian for 2 or 3 hours of gameplay, but half that seems worth checking out the new MGS gameplay to me. Downloading it right now.

EC posted:

Now I just need a sweet deal on a new controller for the wife. I really wish they made better color variations of the DS4, the red/blue ones look ugly. I want a solid white one.

One more month! :hellyeah:

• Locked thread