Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
So I've got Codex: Space Wolves here and the Wolf Priest page is the most :effort: page I've seen in a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Von Humboldt posted:

So it seems that Space Wolves might be able to take Drop Pods (along with some other things) as both Dedicated Transports and Fast Attack. Source is here. My Spanish is a little rusty, but it does look like a Drop Pod can, like the Ork Trukk, be taken on its own. 35 points to ensure that your actual Drop Pod units are always in Turn 1 is amazing, especially when that 35 points is also AV 12 and scoring.

If this trend continues, I can finally put my scouts in rhinos! :downs:

This is not a thing I actually want to do, but I'm sure someone, somewhere is excited about this.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

WAR FOOT posted:

So I've got Codex: Space Wolves here and the Wolf Priest page is the most :effort: page I've seen in a long while.

I'm curious about what they've done to Njaal , Logan, and some of the other named characters

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Sisko posted:

I'm curious about what they've done to Njaal , Logan, and some of the other named characters

Logan and Bjorn are Lords of War, heh

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

If this trend continues, I can finally put my scouts in rhinos! :downs:

This is not a thing I actually want to do, but I'm sure someone, somewhere is excited about this.
Drop Pods are already pretty strong, and I feel this is a solid buff. For instance, my buddy plays Salamanders, but he has no objection snagging some Space Wolf bits or a unit and screwing around with his list. If he goes Space Wolves Primary, he can take a Command Squad with He'stan and a unit of Sternguard as allies in Drop Pods, take Grey Hunters in Drop Pods instead of Tactical Marines (which means slightly less accurate Meltas but still solid troops,) and then take extra empty Drop Pods to force more of his units onto the board for greater alpha.

If he goes Salamanders Primary, he swaps out one Tactical Squad for a Grey Hunters unit, takes a SW HQ, and then buys the extra Drop Pod allowed via allying up. He basically pays a tax of the cost of the extra pod and the SW HQ to get another unit onto the board turn 1.

You could do something like this before via buying empty pods for units that sit in the back, but this cuts out the middleman and frees up more points to maximize your ability to swarm your opponent's deployment and kill his important poo poo before he can do anything.

Alternatively, since you can get a non-dedicated Drop Pod, you can buy one and load Assault Centurions into it. Which doesn't make them any better, but it's a cute idea.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

Logan and Bjorn are Lords of War, heh

Logan is, Bjorn doesn't seem to be.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Von Humboldt posted:

Drop Pods are already pretty strong, and I feel this is a solid buff. For instance, my buddy plays Salamanders, but he has no objection snagging some Space Wolf bits or a unit and screwing around with his list. If he goes Space Wolves Primary, he can take a Command Squad with He'stan and a unit of Sternguard as allies in Drop Pods, take Grey Hunters in Drop Pods instead of Tactical Marines (which means slightly less accurate Meltas but still solid troops,) and then take extra empty Drop Pods to force more of his units onto the board for greater alpha.

If he goes Salamanders Primary, he swaps out one Tactical Squad for a Grey Hunters unit, takes a SW HQ, and then buys the extra Drop Pod allowed via allying up. He basically pays a tax of the cost of the extra pod and the SW HQ to get another unit onto the board turn 1.

You could do something like this before via buying empty pods for units that sit in the back, but this cuts out the middleman and frees up more points to maximize your ability to swarm your opponent's deployment and kill his important poo poo before he can do anything.

Alternatively, since you can get a non-dedicated Drop Pod, you can buy one and load Assault Centurions into it. Which doesn't make them any better, but it's a cute idea.

I'm not questioning the whole drop pod thing, I can see the point in that. It's a nice workaround to get more of your units down on turn one. I just don't see why someone would need to take a rhino/razorback on its own and use a fast attack slot when you have more than enough access to them already.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

What other nuggets of info can you give us? Are Wolf Guard Terminators finally at a reasonable point cost?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

Haven't heard anything about Wolf Scouts, how badly did they gently caress them up?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

I'm not questioning the whole drop pod thing, I can see the point in that. It's a nice workaround to get more of your units down on turn one. I just don't see why someone would need to take a rhino/razorback on its own and use a fast attack slot when you have more than enough access to them already.
No idea. Maybe you have some points to burn, all your units are already mechanized, and you don't have anything in your collection that slots in otherwise? It sort of makes sense if you want a mechanized army and want to bring along some transports for your Battle Brothers, but most of them already have transport access one way or another in their native book. I guess it's for fluff, if you want you want your allied IG Vets to not have Chimeras or something? Maybe there's a unit or two that doesn't get transports naturally. Orks can take Trukks, and I suppose you can shove Grots or Kommandos in it.

Maybe it's over-thinking. Perhaps GW just wants transports that aren't dedicated, so everyone can start in them, even if it has super limited applications.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

What other nuggets of info can you give us? Are Wolf Guard Terminators finally at a reasonable point cost?

Wolf Guard Terminators are pretty clutch, 33ppm with a Power Weapon. Can take TH/SS for 15ppm, 2 Wolf Claws for 15ppm.

Honestly just keeping them vanilla with a mix of swords and axes seems best. Or replace any power weapon with a Frost weapon for 5 ppm.

Moola posted:

Haven't heard anything about Wolf Scouts, how badly did they gently caress them up?

Lost their special Outflank ability, now just BS4 Scouts.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 8, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
I have a soft spot for Njaal Stormcaller. What did they do to him?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The Sisko posted:

I have a soft spot for Njaal Stormcaller. What did they do to him?

Can't kill poo poo in Close Combat with AP4, special bird Line of Sight thing no longer exists (Chooser of the Slain?), gets to reroll failed spells from the Wolf Lore (Which is pretty bad), has a 24" S3 AP- Assault d6 shooting attack (lol), no table, Mastery Level 3, 180points.

At 85 points for a Rune Priest with Level 2 and an Force Axe which gives him Adamantium Will, why even take Njall. Take a Rune Priest, take Divination, laugh all the way to the bank. Can also take a Psychic Hood for 10p if you want to Deny everything forever.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Wolf Guard Terminators are pretty clutch, 33ppm with a Power Weapon. Can take TH/SS for 15ppm, 2 Wolf Claws for 15ppm.

Honestly just keeping them vanilla with a mix of swords and axes seems best. Or replace any power weapon with a Frost weapon for 5 ppm.

Hoooly poo poo. There's the Terminator price reduction people have been wanting for 8+ years.
I hope it bodes well for GKs. Having some of the cheapest Terminators in the game until the new SM 'dex comes out... the rivers will flow cheese once more. I loved the internet's reaction to the last GK codex :allears:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

Can't kill poo poo in Close Combat with AP4, special bird Line of Sight thing no longer exists (Chooser of the Slain?), gets to reroll failed spells from the Wolf Lore (Which is pretty bad), has a 24" S3 AP- Assault d6 shooting attack (lol), no table, Mastery Level 3, 180points.

At 85 points for a Rune Priest with Level 2 and an Force Axe which gives him Adamantium Will, why even take Njall. Take a Rune Priest, take Divination, laugh all the way to the bank. Can also take a Psychic Hood for 10p if you want to Deny everything forever.

Just curious. I already have a decent amount of Rune Priests. I ask because when I first got into this game he was one of the first named guys I got. Kinda sucks that he no longer has the table though. Was cool if nothing else.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Hoooly poo poo. There's the Terminator price reduction people have been wanting for 8+ years.
I hope it bodes well for GKs. Having some of the cheapest Terminators in the game until the new SM 'dex comes out... the rivers will flow cheese once more. I loved the internet's reaction to the last GK codex :allears:

You want to talk brutal? Relic Weapon: Black Death.

25 Points. Melee, S+2 AP2, Unweildly, Whirlwind of Death.

Whirlwind of Death: +3 Attacks if you're outnumbered in close combat.
That bumps a Thunderwolf lord up to S7, A9 on the charge.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

that's 33 points with a power weapon not fist... so same cost as a chaos terminator.

With a thunder hammer and stormshield you're paying 48 points... which is 3 more than vanilla marine with the same loadout and 1 point less than a Dark Angel

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Cataphract posted:

that's 33 points with a power weapon not fist... so same cost as a chaos terminator.

With a thunder hammer and stormshield you're paying 48 points... which is 3 more than vanilla marine with the same loadout and 1 point less than a Dark Angel

Honestly, I still think they're better than CSM Termies as they pick up ATSKNF and Counter Attack.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

You want to talk brutal? Relic Weapon: Black Death.

25 Points. Melee, S+2 AP2, Unweildly, Whirlwind of Death.

Whirlwind of Death: +3 Attacks if you're outnumbered in close combat.
That bumps a Thunderwolf lord up to S7, A9 on the charge.

:getin:

Speaking of Relics isn't there a suit of armor that lowers opponents initiative by 5 or something?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

WAR FOOT posted:

Honestly, I still think they're better than CSM Termies as they pick up ATSKNF and Counter Attack.

"Loyalist ______ is better than Chaos _____" seems like a statement that is always true except in the case of plague marines or something, and only because I'm not really sure what their loyalist equivalent would be.

e: I'm not saying it's deliberate (nor am I ruling the option out). It could just be the coin flip that is the vagaries of GW army design/release order.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 8, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cataphract posted:

They also get ATSKNF, counter-attack, acute senses, presumably Storm Bolters etc. WAR FOOT hasn't mentioned if there is a Power Fist option or not but THSS Terminators need to be expensive for their 2+/3++ save.

What other good relics have they got? I've noticed the trend where there's maybe 1-2 good relics per book and the rest are niche.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

They also get ATSKNF, counter-attack, acute senses, presumably Storm Bolters etc. WAR FOOT hasn't mentioned if there is a Power Fist option or not but THSS Terminators need to be expensive for their 2+/3++ save.

What other good relics have they got? I've noticed the trend where there's maybe 1-2 good relics per book and the rest are niche.

Apart from the Axe I mentioned earlier the rest are pretty terrible.

They can take fists, but when they can switch their power weapon for a Frost Weapon for 5ppm, I don't super see why. Also you can't Storm Shield+Fist or Storm Shield+Frost Weapon anymore. All the options (Frost, Fist, Shield, etc) replace the Power Weapon only.

e: There's a Helm that gives you reroll all misses and Ignores Cover. 20pts. Not too shabby.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 8, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Apart from the Axe I mentioned earlier the rest are pretty terrible.

They can take fists, but when they can switch their power weapon for a Frost Weapon for 5ppm, I don't super see why. Also you can't Storm Shield+Fist or Storm Shield+Frost Weapon anymore. All the options (Frost, Fist, Shield, etc) replace the Power Weapon only.

Wait, so can you have WGT with a Storm Bolter and Storm Shield? :krad:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Wait, so can you have WGT with a Storm Bolter and Storm Shield? :krad:

Yup, in fact it's free. Replacing a Power Weapon with a Storm Shield is free for terminators.

Aka, Wolf-Brother Sitsinfront Diesfirst.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

sure , but my point was that this really doesn't look like a trend towards cheaper terminators. These terminators cost the same as the ones in other books once you adjust for the cost of the power fist (the power fist option, like in the chaos book, will probably be 7 points). In fact, looking now, wolf guard with power weapons were 33 points in the old SW codex too.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Cataphract posted:

sure , but my point was that this really doesn't look like a trend towards cheaper terminators. These terminators cost the same as the ones in other books once you adjust for the cost of the power fist (the power fist option, like in the chaos book, will probably be 7 points). In fact, looking now, wolf guard with power weapons were 33 points in the old SW codex too.

Power Fists are 10ppm for WGT.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

Lost their special Outflank ability, now just BS4 Scouts.

loving lame, what wargear access do they get? Same as before?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Yup, in fact it's free. Replacing a Power Weapon with a Storm Shield is free for terminators.

Aka, Wolf-Brother Sitsinfront Diesfirst.

gently caress that, have a whole hairy viking riotsquad!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

It's hard to see, but the ork pilot is holding a shoota in his right hand, and the now-detached steering wheel in his left. I also added a twin-autocannon turret.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Moola posted:

A single Wolf Scout may take a Special OR Heavy weapon. The leader can select from the Melee weapon list.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Do they still get access to Mark of the Wulfen? Is that even a thing anymore?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Nope. Mark of the Wulfen ain't in there.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
So I need to paint about 10 cultists, both biker(warhorse) Hq and all 4 oblits before the 25th but what do you competitive guys think? For Nova incase it was not obvious...

Abbusepuppy Naramyth, Pacheebo etc.

Can Crimson Slaughter guys take two relics? If not my lord can swap Horns for a 4++.

For that matter do you think I should take CS warlord traits? I think there is a Rage one, so maybe I should grab the invulnerable anyway instead?

I know I said I expect to do poorly but if possible I want to do the best I can. And apparently this should be better than straight demons.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 8, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

Nope. Mark of the Wulfen ain't in there.

Cool. Guess I'll have to keep using the old codex for my Wolf Scouts Kill Team then.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Rules question: Are there any rules that prevent a Riptide from being caught in a Sweeping Advance? Earlier tonight, my friend's Riptide had to fall back from an assault with Mephiston, and with Init 2 running from an Init 7 it isn't hard to guess the outcome.

What caused the riptide to fallback? Its Fearless (and causes Fear).

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

WAR FOOT posted:

I believe he actually gets to reroll any one spell per turn, and if he's using the SW lore he can reroll another one. But yeah, all in all he's relatively unimpressive. Honestly, though, I would say he's slightly better than before just by virtue of being 50pts cheaper.

JerryLee posted:

"Loyalist ______ is better than Chaos _____" seems like a statement that is always true except in the case of plague marines or something, and only because I'm not really sure what their loyalist equivalent would be.

e: I'm not saying it's deliberate (nor am I ruling the option out). It could just be the coin flip that is the vagaries of GW army design/release order.

The only examples of 1-to-1 translations of units that are better on the Chaos side are the Rhino (because of the Combi-Melta and Dirge Caster options) and the Fire Raptor (because double-Reaper turrets are better than single-Autocannon or double-HB turrets.) In every other case the CSM version is outright inferior in some very noticeable way, and in some cases greatly inferior. I don't think that GW does it on purpose in order to make Chaos suck specifically, but it's pretty clear they have some sort of cognitive bias in that regard.

That isn't to say that all Chaos units suck, because some of their unique ones (Heldrake, Obliterators, etc) are actually pretty solid, but all of their copy/past units tend to be something stupid like "remove all special rules, remove ability to get half the weapon options, add overpriced Mark option, done."

Moola posted:

I had seen that they got access to two special weapons, but I don't know that for sure. In either case, they are pretty garbage now.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Can Crimson Slaughter guys take two relics? If not my lord can swap Horns for a 4++.

For that matter do you think I should take CS warlord traits? I think there is a Rage one, so maybe I should grab the invulnerable anyway instead?

I know I said I expect to do poorly but if possible I want to do the best I can. And apparently this should be better than straight demons.
Pretty sure CS can take two relics just fine. Have you considered Blade of the Relentless for your Lord? I'm not sure if I can say it's as good as something like the Axe of Blinding Fury or whatever, but if allowed to do its thing it pretty quickly ramps up into an insane hitter and it comes out a fair bit cheaper than the Fist/Claw setup. Horns... hrm, I dunno; FC and Rage are definitely nice, and for 15pts you could do worse. Maybe think about buying a Gift of Mutation for him?

Are both characters intending to ride with the Spawn? Seems like a bit fragile of a plan for 1850. Having the Sorcerer hang out with a big blob of Cultists might end up working better- Telepathy is a fantastic discipline, and while the Balestar is hardly bad it's certainly not your only option anymore. Might be worth thinking about.

Mark of Nurgle is grossly superior to Mark of Tzeentch on Obliterators. I'm guessing you knew that already, but felt like it needed to a tleast be pointed out.

Presumably your "allied" detachment is just another CAD? Otherwise you can't be running that second Soul Grinder.

The Crimson Slaughter warlord traits are, generally speaking, pretty good. Hatred, -1 Leadership aura, and Shrouded are all pretty good. The real surprising one is Spectral Assailants, which does d6 S3 autohits to every model in base contact with your warlord- even just getting 2-3 guys with that ends up being pretty crazy. On the downside, you've for Rage/FC (with extra disadvantages) and Crusader, both of which are pretty weak. Comparing it to the Strategic table, I think it will generally be better for you- Infiltrating three units is amazing, and Stealth/MTC (Ruins) can be situationally really good, but many of the others are a bit lackluster in this list, so the Crimson's Laughter will be more consistent.

In terms of general advice, the biggest problem I see with the list is its lack of focus. It has aggressive elements mixed with shooty elements and vehicles mixed with soft infantry targets. These aren't crippling flaws on their own, but giving your opponent good targets for all their guns can be a problem sometimes, so it's something to keep in mind. With 1/4 the list invested into HQs I also feel like you're pretty top-heavy and definitely very troops-light. You're lacking in anti-tank and a Wave Serpent list would probably roll you over pretty badly, but that's kinda a problem for Chaos in general unfortunately. On the plus side, though, you have some strong melee hitters that not everyone is going to be prepared to deal with and the potential for shenanigans like Turn 1 Relic grabs. It's far from an awful list, but it's definitely not one I would be cowering in my boots over.

Not knowing what models you have available and what sort of things you want to be running I can't say for sure, but Daemons definitely have the potential to be a strong army. I think they're generally slightly weaker than they were in 6th, but that isn't saying a lot- I think they still are the sort of army that can catch a lot of people unawares and especially when you are allowed multiple CADs they can get really crazy. If you want to run Daemons, that in and of itself is not an impediment to winning at all.

ijyt posted:

Riptides are not Fearless.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ijyt posted:

Monstrous Creatures are not Fearless by default, they simply have the Fear USR. Many MCs do have the Fearless rule based on their army (or Synapse), but it's not natural to the unit type.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

ijyt posted:

It's not Fearless.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I misread Relentless as Fearless.

e: ok I get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Riptides DO NOT have fearless!