Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah he was mainly crying about how my players werent getting knocked down 1 in 6 times. THAT'S NOT HOW THE DICE WORK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Clearly he needs to play khemri more. At least for me they know only how to push.
Edit: gently caress, i already forgot you were the khemri :shepface:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I wonder how this game would play if some of the "always pick" skills that allow risk free play like block/dodge were removed and also turnovers were either removed or toned down?

Asking more from the sense of "would it be possible to bridge the gap between funhavers and try hards, by making risky play more rewarding / conservative play less necessary?" I'd like to think that kind of divide between having fun and playing well shouldn't have to exist at all.

The turnover rule exists because it keeps the game moving and enables rapid reversals. I think toning down ways to avoid turnovers would be a better way to encourage high-risk, high-reward funhaving play. e.g. the Block skill might leave you standing but you still get a turnover.

I think turnovers are particularly important because they encourage conservative play when you have an advantage. If you're up several men and have the ball in your opponent's half, it's usually not the time to take risky blocks with expendable players and gangfoul every downed player, because you risk leaving yourself vulnerable and running down the clock. Without turnovers it would be a lot easier to methodically eradicate the opposition once you get numerical superiority.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
yeah the turnover rule is one of the best game mechanics ever, i played bb in the edition before turnovers and it was a very stale and predictable game. But blocks and dodges are never risk free and without the block skill it would be almost impossible to plan anything since the chance of a turnover from a 2db without block is huge. If you wanna play high risk high reward you play skaven or elves where you need to roll dice to win.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Iretep posted:

I usually get the slowest to level players first. In chorfs case it'd be the dwarfs and mino. The centaurs will usually be my ball carriers so they will level fast so they are bought last. I try to start out with 3 rerolls whenever possible because they become more expencive after team creation. Apo is usually the first thing to buy either during or after team creation. For chorfs the apo isn't that important but still better to get early as a safety. Also keep in mind the minotaur is compleatly optional and a funhaver choice.

Chaos dwarfs have both tackle and block so they should be leveling on par with the rest of your team. You are going to have a huge advantage playing against those skill team that have dodge. That being said the most important thing you want to get when creating Chaos dwarf team is rerolls. These are super expensive for chaos dwarfs after the season starts. Since you are a bashing team you are going to run into double skulls a lot. I would say 3 rerolls is a good jumping off point. The apothecary is fairly important as well. You have the advantage of a high av on your dwarfs but you are still going to protect them from some lovely injury that drops your strength or kills them outright. The hobgoblins are cannon fodder and should be used as such. If you get a +ag chance for one of your dwarfs take it and make him your ball carrier. It may take him a little longer to reach the end zone but you can only move as fast as your cage moves.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fat Samurai posted:

Ridiculous as it is, reading the chat I want to think that you tossed a Hail Mary pass to a Tomb Guardian.

Live the dream, AGI 1 player...

I saw a TG catch a long bomb in the rain once. It was horrible.

That same guy had spent the game fouling with his tgs and never got a double. :smith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man a six is a six. There's no such thing as an even longer shot than a six. One of the things that rules about BB. If you're talking about a long bomb, a marked player, it's raining, whatever, ain't no difference between a TG and a human lineman there, you need a six you get a six you got the ball.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
gently caress Sweltering Heat. gently caress it right in its goddamn ear.

Take 3 of my guys (2 Saurus and my Krox) out. :doom:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coffeehitler posted:

gently caress Sweltering Heat. gently caress it right in its goddamn ear.

Take 3 of my guys (2 Saurus and my Krox) out. :doom:

How many skinks died that day?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
One was taken out of the next game, none died. I don't think I understand the whole "sacrificial lamb/skink/wha'eva" mindset. And when you're down 4 dudes (a skink was KO'd) everything matters. Ugh. I would have abandoned the game, but gently caress that noise. And ugh, Lizardmen are knocked over so easily. I was getting manhandled by Humans.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Coffeehitler posted:

Lizardmen are knocked over so easily.
They have the strongest line bar none and their other players have huge movement and dodge.

What you have stumbled into is the phenomenon specific to Lizardmen where every single game almost bar none is an awful stomp one way or the other, and it's often down to dice a lot more than skilful plays.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're a lot like Khemri that way. Handful of super strong dudes, lots of brittle backup. But at least skinks can pick up a ball.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Don't get me wrong, what I saw out of Lizardmen entertained me (SaurusBowl > SkinkBowl). Sweltering Heat is loving retarded and whoever included it is a filthy grog and dumb. And going from Chorfs to brand new Lizards is really eye opening.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, Cyanide's next game is... a new version of Front Page Sports Football.

Because the only area with more crusty and grognard-like fans then Games Workshop games, is folks who are still in love with a football series that died 15 years ago :)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

jBrereton posted:

What you have stumbled into is the phenomenon specific to Lizardmen where every single game almost bar none is an awful stomp one way or the other, and it's often down to dice a lot more than skilful plays.

Them fighting words.

I can lose with Lizardmen with good rolls any day of the week.

I really don't know how to play teams where players are so different.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I used to play this quite a bit back in the Dark Elves/Legendary editions but I never once ventured out of single player. I picked up Chaos Edition today when it was on sale and rolled an Orc team for online play, got matchmade against three Skaven teams in a row. Won against the first two after sniffing out their run plays, bashing in heads and establishing an iron curtain around my ball carrier, which drew a disconnect and a forfeit respectively. The third player was a lot better than the other two and carefully set up custom formations, doing stuff like forming a long line in the backfield to stall the advance of my cage. I managed to score on him but he won 2-1: the first was a pass/run combo that raced past half the field, the second was pretty much a gimme (I had a chance at a touchdown which required two GFI rolls, I failed the first and the reroll which injured my player and caused the ball to be spotted into a group of Skavens upfield of the cage I had been using up to this point)

Anyway is there anywhere I can look up stuff like cage tactics or the logic behind custom formations? I have enough basic knowledge of the game to hold my own against bad players but I feel like I'll be totally outmatched against people using advanced tactics like the last guy I played.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

dhamster posted:

I used to play this quite a bit back in the Dark Elves/Legendary editions but I never once ventured out of single player. I picked up Chaos Edition today when it was on sale and rolled an Orc team for online play, got matchmade against three Skaven teams in a row. Won against the first two after sniffing out their run plays, bashing in heads and establishing an iron curtain around my ball carrier, which drew a disconnect and a forfeit respectively. The third player was a lot better than the other two and carefully set up custom formations, doing stuff like forming a long line in the backfield to stall the advance of my cage. I managed to score on him but he won 2-1: the first was a pass/run combo that raced past half the field, the second was pretty much a gimme (I had a chance at a touchdown which required two GFI rolls, I failed the first and the reroll which injured my player and caused the ball to be spotted into a group of Skavens upfield of the cage I had been using up to this point)

Anyway is there anywhere I can look up stuff like cage tactics or the logic behind custom formations? I have enough basic knowledge of the game to hold my own against bad players but I feel like I'll be totally outmatched against people using advanced tactics like the last guy I played.

Sounds like what you really need to know about is the 2-1 grind. That alone will win more games for you than any amount of cute tactical tricks. Also, teams like the skaven and elfs will score on you. Just let it happen, and concentrate on bashing in some skulls in instead. They'll have trouble scoring in the second half when half of their team is missing.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 8, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StoryTime posted:

They'll have trouble scoring in the second half when half of their team is missing.
Well, they won't, but you'll win in skull bashed in, which is the only BB scoring that matters.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Fat Samurai posted:

Well, they won't, but you'll win in skull bashed in, which is the only BB scoring that matters.

Skaven actually have a secret alternate win condition: if you injure enough players they have to put SV or gunners on the line, you still win.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I just picked up this game because of GNU Order's LP, and I can't figure out who I want to play. Any advice on that front for a brand new player would be appreciated. Also, is the Giant Goon League still the place to go for games?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jester Mcgee posted:

I just picked up this game because of GNU Order's LP, and I can't figure out who I want to play. Any advice on that front for a brand new player would be appreciated. Also, is the Giant Goon League still the place to go for games?

Humans will probably be a good team to start with, as they are a good all around team. Orcs are good for beginners as well, but they tend to be a little bashier. Once you get the basics down with either of those two, you can start experimenting with the other teams.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Jester Mcgee posted:

There are only really 2 types of teams ag4 and ag3, ag4 means you can pass, dodge and hand-off, where ag3 means that one guy picks up the ball and then you protect him with a cage as you grind down the pitch.

My advice would be to start a solid ag3 team with lots of skills (orcs or undead) and a wood elf team, then after a couple of matches with each you can see what you prefer.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Jester Mcgee posted:

Giant Goon League is the league most of us have our teams, but nobody idles in Cyanide looking for pickup matches. If you're looking for matches you should go to the IRC channel, #tgbloodbowl on SynIRC. If you mention you're a newbie you can probably find an opponent who's willing to help you out or give advice

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Giant Goon League is the league most of us have our teams, but nobody idles in Cyanide looking for pickup matches. If you're looking for matches you should go to the IRC channel, #tgbloodbowl on SynIRC. If you mention you're a newbie you can probably find an opponent who's willing to help you out or give advice

Our last goon bowl ended about 4 or 5 months ago as well. I think the lack of a new league admin is the only thing holding up another season.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

NiknudStunod posted:

Our last goon bowl ended about 4 or 5 months ago as well. I think the lack of a new league admin is the only thing holding up another season.

I would do it but last time I tried like 10 people dropped the first week.

Also I hate all of you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I would but as much as I love Blood Bowl, I am so much happier when I don't have to play it.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hey what's the difference between Auld and Nagg? I've seen some stuff about how the community is slightly better on Nagg

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
You can bring in any team, a farmed team in other words, into auld. Nagg you can't apply anything but new teams. This is if I remember right.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

dhamster posted:

Hey what's the difference between Auld and Nagg? I've seen some stuff about how the community is slightly better on Nagg
Auld lets you challenge specific teams and allows you to join with teams that have been played in other leagues. Nagg is random matchmaking only and only allows new teams to join.

Meaning, you're much less likely to encounter farmed min/maxed murderteams in Nagg.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Random Hajile posted:

Auld lets you challenge specific teams and allows you to join with teams that have been played in other leagues. Nagg is random matchmaking only and only allows new teams to join.

Meaning, you're much less likely to encounter farmed min/maxed murderteams in Nagg.

Okay, that makes sense. I might use Auld for playing with other goons and Nagg for general solo queueing then

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
There are actually a lot of organized leagues out there. I like the orca cola league. They separate divisions by your tv score so you are going to be playing against teams that have around the same spp as you.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

NiknudStunod posted:

There are actually a lot of organized leagues out there. I like the orca cola league. They separate divisions by your tv score so you are going to be playing against teams that have around the same spp as you.

Orca cola (OCC) is imo the best run league there is and i've played in it for around 8 seasons now. as long as you can manage a game a week its the best choice i think. But division are not seperated by TV, you get promoted or relegated based on your placement, so there can be a huge tv diffrence between teams in a division. I spent 2 seasons in div 2 and 1 with a TV 1200 undead team against teams with an average of 2400 TV.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

dhamster posted:

Okay, that makes sense. I might use Auld for playing with other goons and Nagg for general solo queueing then
Farmed Team Paranoia about Auld is largely unfounded, and if you're new, getting more games under your belt is better than fretting about some 2400+TV menace you probably won't ever get matched to with a team before you get bored of it, and even if you did, you would have to be pretty similar in terms of strength (like ~300TV away at most).

Auld has way, way more players and teams than Nagg. I find the first few games with a new team in Auld are really easy (because there are a lot of new players), but that once you get to about 1500TV you start running into the better coaches.

The thing you actually want to mind is that your preferences for matchmaking don't include 40 second games. That's the one important choice.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

ZigZag posted:

Orca cola (OCC) is imo the best run league there is and i've played in it for around 8 seasons now. as long as you can manage a game a week its the best choice i think. But division are not seperated by TV, you get promoted or relegated based on your placement, so there can be a huge tv diffrence between teams in a division. I spent 2 seasons in div 2 and 1 with a TV 1200 undead team against teams with an average of 2400 TV.

I have been promoted based on my tv in occ. Just a FYI the signups for next season should be starting soon.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

NiknudStunod posted:

I have been promoted based on my tv in occ. Just a FYI the signups for next season should be starting soon.

i guess double promotions happens once in a while but there is no intention anywhere to match teams on tv and if you look at the divisions you can see that there is a huge TV diffrence between teams even in the lower tiers.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

ZigZag posted:

i guess double promotions happens once in a while but there is no intention anywhere to match teams on tv and if you look at the divisions you can see that there is a huge TV diffrence between teams even in the lower tiers.

For me it was my 1800 tv khemri team getting moved to the next division even though I had a mediocre season. I agree with you that how you complete a season plays the biggest role on being promoted. I think they also take into consideration teams that may not win as many games but are still strong. I know my khemri team had like a 0-8-1 season and still got promoted. I killed like 7 people on other teams that season.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Just finished a pretty fun Lizardmen v. Chorfs as the Lizards, losing 1-2 or 1-3. Probably lost it to forgetting a major part of SkinkBall, the ball part. Say what you will about Chorfs being dumb and unfun to play against, they are infinitely better than playing against Orcs.

Is OCC a new teams for entry, or can any team enter it?

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
OCC is new teams only, but if its your first OCC team you can play in the Snotling soda cup to beef up your team.

http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index.php/page/index.html

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Coffeehitler posted:

Say what you will about Chorfs being dumb and unfun to play against, they are infinitely better than playing against Orcs.

I agree with this. Chorfs aren't a pain because they're too Dorfy, they're a pain because they have access to all of the chaos murder tools (granted on a less than ideal MV4 chassis) but also have the reliability that comes with fielding 6 Dwarves.

Vanilla Dwarves, while not especially murderous, are all blandly reliable. I think a better player is more dangerous with a Chaos Dwarf team than a regular Dwarf team, while a weaker player is better off using regular Dwarves (at least until you get into Guard calculus. gently caress Guard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know Guard would be the better first pick for my tomb guardians, but gently caress it, YOU'RE ALL GETTING MIGHTY BLOW.

• Locked thread