Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

When did you last play WinQuake in the first place? A long time ago on a CRT? Because that would have a pretty major effect on how everything looked, from not having the kind of resolution scaling stuff LCDs introduce to probably being set with different default color reproduction.

Not on a CRT, on an LCD. I got Quake in the id Super Pack and played through it on WinQuake, because it worked well enough and I didn't know anything about Quake source ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Doing a Zandronum event tomorrow, in the steam group. Going to be playing things like samsarahold and others. Open to all suggestions. Check out the link in my av for more info.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Segmentation Fault posted:

Mostly I wanted to see how DOS quake behaved. Really there was a niggle in the back of my head regarding how Super8 handles colors, since the coloration in that engine doesn't look anything like what I remembered from playing WinQuake.

The answer is is that Super8's attempt at making GL Quake look like Software Quake is kind of poo poo. Colors are too flat, shotgun has a weird green tint on it, etc.

FWIW super8 is not trying to look like any particular previously existing version of Quake. He's going for his own specific retro-low-fi-whatever look.

It does have lots of different palettes to try, if you're just hunting for something that "looks good" as opposed to "looks faithful".

BTW what do you think about Engoo's presets for various things? If there's some way in which (for example) Engoo's "Quake 1.01" preset varies from what you're expecting, I'm curious to hear what the difference is. (I don't work on Engoo, I'm just generally curious about this sort of thing.)

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Mostly I wanted to see how DOS quake behaved. Really there was a niggle in the back of my head regarding how Super8 handles colors, since the coloration in that engine doesn't look anything like what I remembered from playing WinQuake.

The answer is is that Super8's attempt at making GL Quake look like Software Quake is kind of poo poo. Colors are too flat, shotgun has a weird green tint on it, etc.

For one Super8 is actually a software renderer as far as I know, but they are not trying to make it look like Vanilla Quake and instead are going for their own distinctive look. So whatever effects they think look rad, get in.

edit: beaten

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Engoo is awesome and amazingly faithful, while having the kind of graphical improvements that I like (stuff like its improved lighting, its dithering-style colored lighting, gun barrels given a chrome finish to make them shiny, etc.). The three problems I have with it are that it forgets your resolution settings, it doesn't play music, and it hasn't been touched in over a year so those two issues will never be fixed.

I wasn't aware that Super8 was going for its own style, I had just assumed it was gunning for Quake. How do I try out the other palletes?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
A bajillion pages ago someone recommended a good soundfont (at least I think that's what it was) to get the most out of Back to Saturn X's soundtrack. Does anyone remember what that was? I remember it being pretty simple. I pretty much just had to drop a file into ZDoom's directory. I think. It's been a while.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 7, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

I wasn't aware that Super8 was going for its own style, I had just assumed it was gunning for Quake. How do I try out the other palletes?

The relevant blurb:

quote:

The pak88.pak adds 21 bent palettes from Amon26. Thanks! Set includes amon26_pal01.lmp through amon26_pal21.lmp. Set “r_palette = amon26_pal21.lmp” prior to map load, or also hit “restart” if it’s after map load.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I like the look of Super8, but it runs awfully on my computer. I get maybe 30 fps which is really weird.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

RyokoTK posted:

This talk reminds me that the first Call of Duty (and especially United Offensive) were genuinely quite good games. It's just funny what the franchise turned into.
I've been playing trough the older CoDs because I wanted to marathon through all the CoDs I own (so all of them except CoD3 which was console only and MW3) and I can honestly say CoD hasn't really changed that much in terms of SP. Even the length is similar, it's just way easier to die because of your small, limited health pool versus hitscan enemies*. UO in particular, is way worse than I remember for SP, especially the enemy spawns holy poo poo. The amount of times I've had enemies spawn behind me and just wipe out 75% of my health in half a second is ridiculous.

*As a side note this is probably an unpopular opinion but I really am not a big fan of games from this era when things started to become more "realistic" and you end up fighting mainly dudes with hitscan guns but before regenerating health became a thing because being railgunned by some rear end in a top hat you couldn't even see through a bush and losing a bunch of health is immensely frustrating. I had actually planned on starting my CoD marathon with MoH:AA (since those dude were the ones that eventually went off to form Infinity Ward) but that combined with a HDD crash causing me to lose my saves caused me to skip straight to CoD1.

PS: gently caress sniper town

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Not on a CRT, on an LCD. I got Quake in the id Super Pack and played through it on WinQuake, because it worked well enough and I didn't know anything about Quake source ports.

If you want a more modern port that is faithful to the winquake look I recommend https://celephais.net/fitzquake. If you miss the pixelated look running the cvar
gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR
will make things square again.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

A bajillion pages ago someone recommended a good soundfont (at least I think that's what it was) to get the most out of Back to Saturn X's soundtrack. Does anyone remember what that was? I remember it being pretty simple. I pretty much just had to drop a file into ZDoom's directory. I think. It's been a while.

I remember that.

There was this post that suggested that you should use this soundfont.

There was also this post by esselfortium, who did the music to BTSX, where he insisted that the original Roland Sound Canvas font was ideal, since it's what he used to compose, just as Bobby Prince did on the original Doom soundtrack.

You can use these soundfonts by installing Bassmidi and loading a soundfont into one of its ports, which will then show up as a MIDI device in-game, or by dropping the Fluidsynth .DLL into your GZDoom directory and then using the console command "fluid_patchset" to point to the location of your soundfont, and then selecting Fluidsynth as your MIDI device.

Now everybody else whip out they fav soundfonts.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Copper Vein posted:

I remember that.

[soundfont stuff]

You're the best. Thanks a ton!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The problem is that midi is a terrible, terrible format for distributing music. It's great for working on it, but you have zero control over what it will actually sound like to the listener.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Keiya posted:

The problem is that midi is a terrible, terrible format for distributing music. It's great for working on it, but you have zero control over what it will actually sound like to the listener.

Unfortunately, yeah. I just make preferred-playback recommendations and watch them be ignored :P

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Welp, there goes Quake Live.

quote:

The goal of this release is to bring the game up to shape and slightly modernize some aspects to make the game more accessible, friendly, and enjoyable to new comers.

New Default Gameplay Ruleset

Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
The minimum allowed time between jumps has been increased from 50ms to 100ms.
Players may now hold forward and jump to 'bunny hop', allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
When wielding the Gauntlet, ground movement speed is increased 6.25%.
Introduced Loadouts, allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (mg, sg, gl, pg).
Added the command "weapon toggle" to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons.
Unified weapon respawn time to 5 seconds across all gamemodes.
Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
Reduced ammo respawn time from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.
Added in-world item timers for "major" items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit. Respawn timers blink once per second, and display one "pie piece" for every 5 seconds that has elapsed.
Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
Power-up spawn indicators now appear when a power-up has spawned in the arena.
Enabled self-kills with an additional 1 second respawn penalty.
Railgun damage 80->90
Rocket splash damage 84->100
Gauntlet damage 50->75

Weapon Changes

Added new weapon, the Heavy Machinegun to act as a viable primary infinite range hitscan weapon with some but minor spread.
Lightning Gun now does 6 damage per cell across all rulesets, or 120 damage per second.

Public FFA Settings

New ruleset in full effect

Public Duel Settings

Public TDM Settings

Friendly-Fire disabled.
Power-up drops enabled.
Fraglimit 150
Timelimit 15
Teamsize 5 (no callvoting teamsize).

Public CA Settings

New ruleset enabled without loadouts (new physics, but 'all' weapons - classic ca + hmg)
Round Limit 7

Public CTF Settings

New ruleset enabled without loadouts (new physics, mg starter, in-world item timers, etc)
Timelimit 15

Public FT Settings

Timelimit 15

Public DOM Settings

Weapons drop for additional weapons.
Self damage enabled.
Timelimit 15

Public AD Settings

Weapons drop for additional weapons.
Timelimit 15

General Game Changes

Fixed the CHEATS ENABLED notification on the map loading screen from lagging behind its proper state.
Reduced the default amount of player movement bobbing.
Reduced the default amount of damage kick movement.
By default, don't show weapons you don't have in inventory on your weaponbar.
By default, bob major items when simpleitems are enabled.
Prevent broken shader image on crosshair '30', '60', '90', which would equate to crosshair "none" as the cycle repeats.
Bots now randomly select loadouts, when applicable.
Greatly reduced multiple pickups prediction errors.
Removed the option to move to FreeCam while dead in elimination based gametypes.

Create Match Features

Now support custom values of starting ammo in AD, CA, DOM, and RR.
Added optional Double Jump physics player movement mechanic.* (*Not yet actually on Create Match UI.)

Arena Changes

Removed Team Arena Runes from all maps.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Quake Live was always basically Quake 3 in a browser right? So now it's... weird babby Quake 3 in a browser?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Linguica posted:

Quake Live was always basically Quake 3 in a browser right? So now it's... weird babby Quake 3 in a browser?

Now it's a separate executable and it's coming to Steam, so it's a free babby Quake 3 you can download from anywhere.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Linguica posted:

It was always babby Quake 3, now it's just babbier.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Two weapon limit? They're joking, right?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I actually glanced at the calendar to make sure it's not April 1.

The soundfont talk got me interested enough to do a blind test of the soundfonts I have. I recorded e1m9's music for each of them, randomized the order of the files and gave them a letter. SC-55 won for me, but I might use Timbres of Heaven from time to time because it sounds so nice.

Here are the mp3 files if you want to blind test yourself. Listen to all of them, pick a favorite, and then read the text file to see which soundfont it is!

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 9, 2014

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

jerkstoresup posted:

I actually glanced at the calendar to make sure it's not April 1.

The soundfont talk got me interested enough to do a blind test of the soundfonts I have. I recorded e1m9's music for each of them, randomized the order of the files and gave them a letter. SC-55 won for me, but I might use Timbres of Heaven from time to time because it sounds so nice.

Here are the mp3 files if you want to blind test yourself. Listen to all of them, pick a favorite, and then read the text file to see which soundfont it is!

What did you load the sound fonts into? Because you can get mild to wild different results with the same .sf2 depending on whether you load it into your sound card, or Bassmidi, or Fluidsynth, etc.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Goodbye Quake Live. Hello goon run Quake3 server.

Guys, come play some Samsarahold in 30 minutes!

classic games steam group

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That Quake Live stuff has to be a joke, I refuse to believe it's serious.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

"The goal of this release is to alienate the fourteen people still playing Quake Live while demonstrating to older fans that iD has thoroughly lost the goddamn plot"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Stop capitalizing the D, it hasn't been "in Demand" since Wolf 3D.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

They'll always be iD, the creators of DooM :colbert:

edit: DooM

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

quote:

Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
Introduced Loadouts, allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (mg, sg, gl, pg).

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What the gently caress are they doing

What the gently caress

are

they

doing

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yep, this is a thing that isn't happening since it's in an unsourced pastebin, posted on Reddit by an account that has made two posts, both in that thread.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

"Ammo packs". Auto jumping and bunny hopping. A new hitscan weapon.

Here I was thinking QL would be nice to have on Steam to get the community going again, but NOPE! Not happening.

EDIT: All fake, really, but these days it's hard to tell any more. . .

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 9, 2014

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
At least Quake Live just works.

I'm trying to play Quake 3 and it says no cd key. I look online and find out the cd key steam gives is valid but steam makes it all uppercase which is not valid. So I change it to all lower case and it says it's valid now but for some reason it keeps changing back to uppercase then saying it's not valid.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I had no idea this was a thing.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

TerminusEst13 is on the cusp of the trend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pz2gI_v_II

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I really haven't been on Quake Live in a while, though. How's the population these days? Hopefully the Steam release should bring an influx of fresh me, er, new players.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

closeted republican posted:

Welp, there goes Quake Live.

This is from one guy's post on reddit, and it smells fake, especially "loadouts" (unless it is really misdescribing the actual feature).

Obviously anything's possible but I'm dubious. On the other hand, that would be something to see... you'd be able to find out where the Quake Live forum's server is geographically located just by following the glow over the horizon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So today I found at a thrift store a copy of Shogo(in a double pack with some rpg called Septerra), so is there anything I should know regarding getting it to run and getting the most enjoyment out of it?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
It is a pretty anime game. Also, play aggressively since you heal when you get crits when shooting people.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

So today I found at a thrift store a copy of Shogo(in a double pack with some rpg called Septerra), so is there anything I should know regarding getting it to run and getting the most enjoyment out of it?

As Ramba Ral said. It also ran much more stably for me than Blood 2, but there's a lot of people who say it's just as bad or worse, so don't worry too much if it crashes on you, save often. It tried a bunch of odd stuff, sometimes it's easy enough, sometimes it's brutal, I think dependent on getting crits to heal yourself. I think that might be random? The robot stages are just the on-foot stages but bigger, no problem there, but sometimes there are humans running around and if you don't notice them they can be super annoying, but I don't remember them being too dangerous.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
At one point when I was following this thread earlier on, when it was probably half as many pages, I remember seeing something about a Doom wad that was basically a somewhat randomized level each time? I was thinking that might be a more fun way to play Brutal Doom than just running the original wads over and over again, but I can't remember the name of what I'm thinking. I thought it sort of sounded like the way ObHack is described, but more coherent, and sort of like a weird horde mode deal. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reelism maybe ?