Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Buying Starbound was a good idea because I had fun with a neat space game, got a ton of free laughs from retarded fans/posts/tweets, and will probably have fun again in 2032 when the full release gets out.

In short

Scratch-O posted:

I love my dead, gay spaceblock game

mollygos posted:

HI GUYS WHAT'S GOIN ON IN THIS THR--
Less posting and more developing please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Clearly Molly needs to go put in the remaining amount of that 500,000 into coding and stuff.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

mollygos posted:

existential crisis brb

If she spreads this to the other CF devs, it may spell trouble for the game's development :ohdear:

COME BACK MOLLYGOS WE'LL HUG YOU UNTIL YOU FEEL BETTER

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
She just realised how many repeat viewings she has left of Twin Peaks.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've only put 57 hours in to Starbound while I have 212 hours spent in Terraria. Thanks Obama.

Jesus Christ I wasted 146 hours of my life on Dungeon Defenders. :negative:

Between the beta client and the official release, I somehow have over 330 hours put into Dungeons of Dredmor. Even Terraria I "only" put about 255 hours in, and a chunk of that was leaving the client running overnight multiple nights before they added in the standalone server .exe.

For Starbound I only have 10 hours in, but that's because those were during the beta/release-window where stuff kept getting wiped or invalidated every few days and my friend and I decided to wait before getting into the game in ernest.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

It's a really good job Minecraft doesnt have an hours calculator or I would be hosed.

Also http://tiii.me/

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Shoehead posted:

She just realised how many repeat viewings she has left of Twin Peaks.

Twin Peaks was great.

It also made me afraid of the dark for 10 years after watching it because I was only 11 when it aired in Norway. I had the worst (best) parents.

TomTrustworthy
Aug 6, 2014
I was playing this game pretty regularly until an update came out which broke the Survivalist Mod I had downloaded. After that I just could not go back to the vanilla game and have a good time at all.

Anybody have any mod or package of mods that would give me the same type of result as Survivalist?

I would like to play this again, my son used to watch me play it and sometimes when he's outside he will hit a tree with a stick. Then he will claim to be "Starbound".

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I enjoyed the game for some odd 30 hours with a few pals, and am now waiting for a stable update because I just want to start up the game and play it until we get tired of it again, with minimal technical troubleshooting or dev commands. I'm using the word "waiting" in the most loosest sense imaginable, since I have many other things to do in the meanwhile. <50 cents an hour for wacky space adventures playing the A-team theme with a sax while watching friends fall into lava or instakill spikes I just laid down is pretty good.

The progression didn't seem finished yet what with the first 3-4 tiers having you gather materials and build a thing and HOLY poo poo BONE DRAGON, but afterwards it was dig into the ground because mobs hurt, collect ore and see numbers skyrocket. Still, Space Bard Adventure was totally great.

:argh: "These birds are MURDERING me, help!"
:dance: "I'm helping!" *plays TMNT theme on a lute*

Apparently there's people on the internet getting irrationally angry about stupid things, I just hope that doesn't discourage the devs from working on this game :)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

mollygos posted:

existential crisis brb

I almost don't want you to post here as I know it will be screen cap'd and put on reddit.

also night builds are so infrequent they prove starbound is dead, I demand hourly!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ottumon posted:

Still, Space Bard Adventure was totally great.

:argh: "These birds are MURDERING me, help!"
:dance: "I'm helping!" *plays TMNT theme on a lute*

Playing as rear end in a top hat Space Musician is endlessly funny and a great way to chill. My sibling and I were playing on a goon server at one point, and when they mentioned they were being attacked by a miniboss, I hurried over to help. After throwing both of my bombs, I dicked around uselessly in the background playing the Final Fantasy 6 boss theme on a keytar. They won - narrowly - and were less than impressed when I proudly declared that my rousing anthem had tipped the scales. :haw:

e: you can even do it solo by summoning a tough boss into an NPC village, then playing dramatic music as the battle rages.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 8, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Angry Diplomat posted:

Playing as rear end in a top hat Space Musician is endlessly funny and a great way to chill.
As my mate was building a loving giant castle, I followed him around playing the MacGyver theme. It is never not funny.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I just checked out the Reddit thread about Tiy posting the obscured progress documents and holy gently caress people are pissed. It's like Chucklefish is some sort of consortium of demons to them.

Anybody who gives answers to the crazies are called buttsniffers and are part of the hugbox.

I love it. :allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hugbox and circlejerk are the internet's favorite buzzwords for when people don't respond to negativity with more negativity. Anything remotely positive is enough to qualify.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Reasonable people not upset about a 15 dollars video game development speed are autistic and I'm glad they are all contained in this stupid hugbox thread.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ColHannibal posted:

I almost don't want you to post here as I know it will be screen cap'd and put on reddit.

This is why I want her, Tiy, and everyone else, to post here frequently. Let people rage all they want. The game's being worked on and if any devs want to post then :justpost:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If nothing else, it'll really aggravate the fedora-wearing manchildren. Since when is this not a good reason to do anything?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

victrix posted:

Speaking as a fairly disinterested spectator, the only difference between Starbound and Cubeworld from my perspective is that Starbound has seemingly higher odds of actually getting a major release at some point.

Otherwise they're both games that had a release an age ago and are in looooooong dev for the next one.

Note: I am not angry or upset about this.

Cubeworld comparison?

:psypop:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Vib Rib posted:

Hugbox and circlejerk are the internet's favorite buzzwords for when people don't respond to negativity with more negativity. Anything remotely positive is enough to qualify.

I wish there was something remotely positive about the development but I guess a fake flowchart is all we get.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Reasonable people not upset about a 15 dollars video game development speed are autistic and I'm glad they are all contained in this stupid hugbox thread.

Rational people have a right to be upset about being misled and sometimes blatantly lied to about products they are invested in. But I guess being excited, disappointed and then angry makes me an autist.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Arkanomen posted:

I wish there was something remotely positive about the development but I guess a fake flowchart is all we get.

Rational people have a right to be upset about being misled and sometimes blatantly lied to about products they are invested in. But I guess being excited, disappointed and then angry makes me an autist.

:ironicat:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arkanomen posted:

And can you actually pinpoint actual cases of "being misled" or "blatantly lied to"?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Being "excited, disappointed and then angry" over $15 does in fact make you a twat.

Go ahead, point out a time you were misled and blatantly lied to! Should be fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Starbound is a bad game because I have played 96 hours of it and that is way too much time to spend on a videogame.

Starbound is a shame generator.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Rotten Cookies posted:

I just checked out the Reddit thread about Tiy posting the obscured progress documents and holy gently caress people are pissed. It's like Chucklefish is some sort of consortium of demons to them.

Anybody who gives answers to the crazies are called buttsniffers and are part of the hugbox.

I love it. :allears:

i wanna see that chart

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arkanomen posted:

You have not been lied to by anyone but yourself. This game was pretty clear that from the start this was gonna be a long road. Phases of development? Remember all that? Remember how they stressed we're still in phase one? Remember how they also moved their offices? Good times.

Rational people knew that they were spending 15 dollars on a long and involved process. Dumbass nerds did what they always do: Convince themselves that their fantasy is just around the corner and that if it isn't then it must be because of developer malevolence. If you want something positive out of development there is ample communication in the form of nightly builds from the devs. As far as I can tell you've been deliberately ignoring any and all attempts to direct you to those.

The moral of the story is that nerds are terrible and should :vd:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i wanna see that chart

Ragequit posted:

Tyi which one of these is "Piss off socially stunted Starbound backers"? Hopefully all of the circles, followed by "Nerd tears" in the rectangles.

lmao

Kyrosiris posted:

And can you actually pinpoint actual cases of "being misled" or "blatantly lied to"?
I too want to see the plot thicken

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Kyrosiris posted:

The about face on the refunds policy was a pretty glaring example. Starbound development funds being used on other games is another violation of trust between investor/investee. I'm sure I could dig up more but they will be dismissed.

Cryohazard posted:

Being "excited, disappointed and then angry" over $15 does in fact make you a twat.

Go ahead, point out a time you were misled and blatantly lied to! Should be fun.

At what dollar amount do I begin to have a right to care about the product I receive? Admittedly the level of actual care I have about the money I spent is higher because 1.) I backed more than 15$ and 2). The goods I received were not as advertised. It doesn't matter that I "might get them in the future" it matters that I didn't get what I paid for so of course I'm going to be a little pissed. I'm hoping that it turns around and the starbound I was shown and the the one I backed are delivered but I frankly don't see that happening.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Personally, I'd have paid $15 just to watch all this drama unfold. This is probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a really long time and I haven't even played the game much in over a month. I'll play the poo poo out of the next stable build and find other stuff to do in the mean time, however long that is, but my goodness this is just too entertaining to not watch.

Arkanomen posted:

At what dollar amount do I begin to have a right to care about the product I receive? Admittedly the level of actual care I have about the money I spent is higher because 1.) I backed more than 15$ and 2). The goods I received were not as advertised. It doesn't matter that I "might get them in the future" it matters that I didn't get what I paid for so of course I'm going to be a little pissed. I'm hoping that it turns around and the starbound I was shown and the the one I backed are delivered but I frankly don't see that happening.

You got exactly what you paid for. You got early access to a game that isn't finished yet, whatever extra goodies you paid for, and a full copy of the game once it's finished. There was no promise of when that would be, how long it would take, or even what exactly the product would be other than "space block game in space." If you get this bent out of shape over preordering unfinished games then stop preordering.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 8, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arkanomen posted:

Starbound development funds being used on other games is another violation of trust between investor/investee.

And you have proof of this? Because they've adamantly stated at every point that stuff like the pirate game, their publishing arm, etc. do not draw from Starbound funds.

Honestly not sure what you're talking about with regards to refunds, but given most of the game's sales AFAIK are through Steam, that's not in Chucklefish's court.

(also lmfao "trust between investor/investee")

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Arkanomen posted:

The about face on the refunds policy was a pretty glaring example. Starbound development funds being used on other games is another violation of trust between investor/investee. I'm sure I could dig up more but they will be dismissed.

Holy poo poo go back to reddit.

:frogout:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Captain Oblivious posted:

You have not been lied to by anyone but yourself. This game was pretty clear that from the start this was gonna be a long road. Phases of development? Remember all that? Remember how they stressed we're still in phase one? Remember how they also moved their offices? Good times.

Rational people knew that they were spending 15 dollars on a long and involved process. Dumbass nerds did what they always do: Convince themselves that their fantasy is just around the corner and that if it isn't then it must be because of developer malevolence. If you want something positive out of development there is ample communication in the form of nightly builds from the devs. As far as I can tell you've been deliberately ignoring any and all attempts to direct you to those.

The moral of the story is that nerds are terrible and should :vd:

This patently false. The reason I backed when I did was based on the information in defunct roadmap and the statement that "they would publish the game before 2013 ended and the backing at that point was to speed development". I was aware of the phases which are also defunct. Images showing development were just mockups and didn't reflect actual content.

Nightly builds are interesting as a way to show work, not progress or long term development. The dev doc would have been an excellent way to demonstrate that the game is not off track and development is not aimless.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Tiy actually tried explaining the gobbledygook charts on his twitter a little bit ago.

Tiy posted:

@Tiyuri: The first image is progress through the games environments whilst the second is crafting progression

Yes thank you very helpful Tiy. :allears:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

So what you are saying is that every single cent and dollar has to be spent on Starbound, instead of spreading probably excess cash into another product so that the company can realize a long term business that goes beyond releasing this single game? I am no business man though, so I could be wrong on this.

Kyrosiris posted:

And you have proof of this? Because they've adamantly stated at every point that stuff like the pirate game, their publishing arm, etc. do not draw from Starbound funds.

E: drat people post too fast

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Personally, I'd have paid $15 just to watch all this drama unfold. This is probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a really long time and I haven't even played the game much in over a month. I'll play the poo poo out of the next stable build and find other stuff to do in the mean time, however long that is, but my goodness this is just too entertaining to not watch.
We see eye to eye on this matter

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 8, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

I was aware of the phases which are also defunct.

So is there any evidence of this aside from ":goonsay: this is taking longer than I feel it should therefore it is defunct"?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

funds being used on other games is another violation of trust between investor/investee.

"An investor is a person who allocates capital with the expectation of a financial return."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arkanomen posted:

This patently false. The reason I backed when I did was based on the information in defunct roadmap and the statement that "they would publish the game before 2013 ended and the backing at that point was to speed development". I was aware of the phases which are also defunct. Images showing development were just mockups and didn't reflect actual content.

Nightly builds are interesting as a way to show work, not progress or long term development. The dev doc would have been an excellent way to demonstrate that the game is not off track and development is not aimless.

Chucklefish also got a poo poo load more money they expected. If memory serves their response to that was "gently caress it, let's make the game even bigger" which takes time. Starbound is also goddamned massive. Maybe I'm crazy but I kind of just assumed the game wasn't coming out in 2013 because I'm, you know, rational, and also training to be a programmer and know how long code takes.

Their release dates were also guesses that came about because people were demanding them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

Tiy actually tried explaining the gobbledygook charts on his twitter a little bit ago.

And it's blurred out because they actually discussed it with the community and there was a general consensus about avoiding spoilers.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Cernunnos posted:

Holy poo poo go back to reddit.

:frogout:

I don't post there, but thanks for trying!

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly not sure what you're talking about with regards to refunds, but given most of the game's sales AFAIK are through Steam, that's not in Chucklefish's court.

It was stated early that refunds would be given at any time for any reason. They no longer offer refunds. I can dig up the relevant screen caps if you'd like. Also what words would you like me to use to describe backing a project that would chill you out.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You got exactly what you paid for. You got early access to a game that isn't finished yet, whatever extra goodies you paid for, and a full copy of the game once it's finished. There was no promise of when that would be, how long it would take, or even what exactly the product would be other than "space block game in space." If you get this bent out of shape over preordering unfinished games then stop preordering.

I got a game yes, but it could best be described as a "bait and switch". Based on promotional material, images, videos etc, the game delivered did not match these expectations nor was any clear reason given why things were so off base. It's clear now that issue lies with the, at best described,inexperience of the development team.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

"An investor is a person who allocates capital with the expectation of a financial return."

I dunno, he seems pretty invested with both his time and feelings as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arkanomen posted:

You're using a lot of words but not saying much. The phases don't tell us anything specific, that's correct. The game has been published, in early release form. What exactly is your complaint? That this is taking too long?

Arkanomen posted:

I got a game yes, but it could best be described as a "bait and switch". Based on promotional material, images, videos etc, the game delivered did not match these expectations nor was any clear reason given why things were so off base. It's clear now that issue lies with the, at best described,inexperience of the development team.

What promotional material, images, videos? You're using a lot of vague weasel words and I bet I can guess why! Off base of what, exactly?

• Locked thread