Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

EVG posted:

Maybe this is obvious, but get good meat. I made identical beef goulash recipes using stew beef from $RandomGrocery and with a piece of whole grass-fed meat, cut up at home, from Whole Foods, and it was amazing how much better it tasted.

And then I wept because I can't afford the good beef very much.

The meat I have, at least the beef, is from Capitol Meats. Its probably a terrible value, but its advertised as "Prime" grade, which is better than what most grocery stores carry. If you all think that stuff is gonna be terrible, there is a local butcher shop I can go to. However, I'd prefer not to have to, since I have this case of beef tips just sitting in the freezer.

e: Reading the recipe, this sounds remarkably similar to Coq au Vin, which I have made before. So it should be tasty!

Annath fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Annath posted:

The meat I have, at least the beef, is from Capitol Meats. Its probably a terrible value, but its advertised as "Prime" grade, which is better than what most grocery stores carry. If you all think that stuff is gonna be terrible, there is a local butcher shop I can go to. However, I'd prefer not to have to, since I have this case of beef tips just sitting in the freezer.

e: Reading the recipe, this sounds remarkably similar to Coq au Vin, which I have made before. So it should be tasty!

fwiw "Prime" designation really only refers to fat content and marbling. :tmyk:

Edit: it'll be delicious, don't worry about it too much. It's peasant food after all.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

I'm sick to death of my crappy knife block and I'm in the market for some moderately priced knives and a decent steel for them.
Have lined up:
Global 20cm chef's knife
Mundial 15cm utility knife
Mundial 8cm paring knife
Scanpan 26cm diamond steel

I've done a bit of research on the knives and am pretty sure I've picked some decent ones, but I wouldn't mind further input.
I'm looking for a total price of about ~$200 AUD for these items, and my current basket works out to about that. I wouldn't mind going over though if it's completely necessary so I don't run into issues.

The one thing I'm really unsure about is the steel however, the scanpan one comes out at $40 and if it does the job well then I'm perfectly happy. the only other option I have (at least on the kitchenware site I'm using) is a Global, and it's $200. I really can't justify dropping twice the amount I paid on my most expensive knife just to keep the edge, though that might just be because I really have no idea about this.

If anyone can offer advice I'd really appreciate it

Edit: Didn't notice the kitchen knives thread, I'll read that

selan dyin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 7, 2014

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Refried black beans should freeze and reheat well, right? My mom just had surgery so I'm making some freezer meals for my parents.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Refried black beans should freeze and reheat well, right? My mom just had surgery so I'm making some freezer meals for my parents.

Very well actually. Just try to minimize the air in the container if at all possible.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

What kind of surgery? (You might want to skip the beans if gas and bloating could cause pain).

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Anemone Thief posted:

Edit: Didn't notice the kitchen knives thread, I'll read that

yeah, definitely read the knife thread, they have things to say...

that said, I LOVE my IKEA knifes

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

paraquat posted:

yeah, definitely read the knife thread, they have things to say...

that said, I LOVE my IKEA knifes

HRC >= 60 or :frogout:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I want to can some tomatoes in an hour or so but I am lazy and I also don't have a lot of time but mostly I'm lazy.

What is the benefit of peeling, coring, and removing seeds before canning?
I don't want to do that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Very Strange Things posted:

I want to can some tomatoes in an hour or so but I am lazy and I also don't have a lot of time but mostly I'm lazy.

What is the benefit of peeling, coring, and removing seeds before canning?
I don't want to do that.

Texture mostly. The peels come off a lot easier if you blanch the tomatoes in boiling water and shock them in an ice bath. I would probably at least do that before canning personally, the seeds I could care less about.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

So I'm peeling crawfish. That orange stuff at the front of the tail, do I want to keep it in or not?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

So I'm peeling crawfish. That orange stuff at the front of the tail, do I want to keep it in or not?
That's commonly called crawdad `fat'. It's actually the hepatopancreas, which is more or less the crawdad equivalent of a liver. There should actually be two of them, one on either side.

It's the richest hunk of flavour in the critter. Some people don't care for it, but gently caress it. If you're gonna eat mudbugs eat the fuckin' mudbugs and don't be a pussy about it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy poo poo I hate my gas oven. I made pizza on a steel a few nights ago, let it preheat for a good 45 minutes, and it did not get nearly as good a crust as I'm used to with the electric ovens I've used in the past.

And the broiler!? Just a small flame at the top where I had to use my peel to bring the pizza 1/2" underneath it so it would melt and brown the cheese, and I still had to constantly move it around-it just wasn't radiating that much in a large area, more direct heat.

Any tips to not make me hate this thing?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Rule #1 for oven problems is always: go buy an oven thermometer. My oven's thermostat is pretty good, but my oven thermometer still lives in my oven, permanently.

As for pizza, I make pizza probably once a week in my gas oven, in fact I recently bought a nice wooden peel. Here is what I did: put three dollars worth of plain (unglazed) ceramic tiles on the bottom rack, move bottom rack to bottom position. Give oven an extra 20 minutes to get to temperature. Bake pizza.

I kept thinking I was going to throw the tiles out when they got nasty and replace them, but after two years they are still pretty clean... and I never take them out of the oven. I think of them as ballast.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nwin posted:

Holy poo poo I hate my gas oven. I made pizza on a steel a few nights ago, let it preheat for a good 45 minutes, and it did not get nearly as good a crust as I'm used to with the electric ovens I've used in the past.

And the broiler!? Just a small flame at the top where I had to use my peel to bring the pizza 1/2" underneath it so it would melt and brown the cheese, and I still had to constantly move it around-it just wasn't radiating that much in a large area, more direct heat.

Any tips to not make me hate this thing?
With a steel and 'za preheat for 40 or so, have the steel on the top rack, use the broiler for 10 with the door slightly ajar (not sure if this is relevant for a gas) then go back to normal heat and put the pie in about five minutes later.

The top rack steel and bottom heat source will cook your toppings well enough and the broil preheat will give you a better/crispy crust. I get my pie cooking time down to 4:20 with my electric using that method but ymmv

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr. Wookums posted:

With a steel and 'za preheat for 40 or so, have the steel on the top rack, use the broiler for 10 with the door slightly ajar (not sure if this is relevant for a gas) then go back to normal heat and put the pie in about five minutes later.

The top rack steel and bottom heat source will cook your toppings well enough and the broil preheat will give you a better/crispy crust. I get my pie cooking time down to 4:20 with my electric using that method but ymmv

This doesn't quite work for gas (at least every Gas I'm familiar with) because the broiler is actually on the bottom of the oven in a separate drawer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CzarChasm posted:

This doesn't quite work for gas (at least every Gas I'm familiar with) because the broiler is actually on the bottom of the oven in a separate drawer.

A lot of newer ones have the broiler at the top

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm kind of shocked at how far those immersion sooveeder machines have come... I would kind of like a dedicated machine, but that eats up a lot of space.

I won a Dorkfood temp controller from the NICSA a while back (thanks again GWS!) and plug it in with my regular crock pot. It's worked beautifully for me. I've used it to poach eggs in the shell (probably my most consistent application) and I also made steak with it 7-8 times now with great results as well as made some chicken a few different ways.

If you're on the fence about one of the fancier ones and have a crockpot already I can't really see a reason not to get the temp controller. I haven't even had to use vacuum seal, just push the air out by dunking the bag in water 1st and it gives a nice snug bag around everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorkfood-Sous...ywords=dorkfood

Unrelated, I have a chicken defrosted in the fridge right now and a lot of beets that need to get picked from the garden. I also have zucchini and a few other assorted common vegetables. Anyone got a decent chicken and beets recipe / preparation that they like?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Squashy Nipples posted:

Rule #1 for oven problems is always: go buy an oven thermometer. My oven's thermostat is pretty good, but my oven thermometer still lives in my oven, permanently.

As for pizza, I make pizza probably once a week in my gas oven, in fact I recently bought a nice wooden peel. Here is what I did: put three dollars worth of plain (unglazed) ceramic tiles on the bottom rack, move bottom rack to bottom position. Give oven an extra 20 minutes to get to temperature. Bake pizza.

I kept thinking I was going to throw the tiles out when they got nasty and replace them, but after two years they are still pretty clean... and I never take them out of the oven. I think of them as ballast.

So are you putting the pizza on the tiles or using them to maintain the heat in the oven?

If it's the former, I have a 3/8" baking steel im using for that and it's on the top rack. If it's the latter, I keep my 12" cast iron on the bottom rack for that purpose.

I do have a separate oven thermometer and it was pegged at 550.

With my oven, when I put the desired temp on the digital control, it gives me a preheat time and counts down (for 550 it took 15 minutes). Then it beeps to tell me it's up to temp. I then verified this with the standalone and let it heat up about 20-30 more minutes. I took an infrared thermometer to the steel and it registered about 420 degrees, which I figured was good. I turned the broiler on and it didn't start for a while...I figured it might be too hot in the oven so I propped the door open but it still took a bit to come on.

During that time, it's possible a bit of heat escaped until the broiler came on, but the steel should have been more than hot enough to aptly cook the pizza quickly. The bottom looked decent about 6 minutes in but the cheese wasn't browned like I normally prefer-just melted. So that's when I moved it closer to the broiler with my peel.

Here's one thing I just thought of. I let my pizza rest for 5 minutes on my steel. Could that cause moisture? Maybe let it rest on one of those cooking grates that you see big restaurants use for bacon or something ( a raised grate that has a bunch of 1/4" grids on em).

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

You want to devour that orange stuff and hoard all of it for yourself.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Doggs, it's August which means I'm making lots of chicken salad. My general go-to is thigh meat, a mayo/greek yogurt mixture, green onion, scallion, golden raisin, celery, grapes, granny smith apples, and walnuts. Sometimes I will mix in curry powder.

Does anyone have any neat things they like to do to chicken salad? I wanna try some new things out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Capsaicin posted:

Doggs, it's August which means I'm making lots of chicken salad. My general go-to is thigh meat, a mayo/greek yogurt mixture, green onion, scallion, golden raisin, celery, grapes, granny smith apples, and walnuts. Sometimes I will mix in curry powder.

Does anyone have any neat things they like to do to chicken salad? I wanna try some new things out.

I make some occasionally with chicken (even dry white meat works for this) sesame oil, ginger, toasted nuts, red onion and cilantro.

Ginger is ok but it works good without it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Breaky posted:

I make some occasionally with chicken (even dry white meat works for this) sesame oil, ginger, toasted nuts, red onion and cilantro.

Ginger is ok but it works good without it.

hehehehe hehehe hehehe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is deveining crawfish being too fussy?

Poop:
http://i.imgur.com/wLPCly3.jpg

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 9, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Is deveining crawfish being too fussy?

Poop:
http://i.imgur.com/wLPCly3.jpg
Getting them live and purging them is better. If you cook them in the shell then deveining is just part of shucking them. Otherwise yeah you want to devein them if you're making like crawdad étouffée.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Can someone point me to some good resources for replacing wheat flour in baking? Wife recently got a hypoglycemia diagnosis and carb/protien/fat goals per meal and snack to go with it while the endocrinologist tries to figure out the cause, so we've been modifying our eating habits to make sure she's staying in those ranges.

I bake a lot - bread, pizza, pretzels, that sort of thing, so I'm somewhat competent, but I am completely lost when it comes to replacing flour. We're primarily concerned with carbohydrates: she needs 45-60g for dinner, and while for a meal that's not hard to stay within, she'd really like to be able to have a cookie or brownie or something every now and then.

Is there a better guide or resource to discussing the properties of various alternative types of flour and meal other than looking up existing recipes? Gluten isn't a concern, so blending is definitely doable, but I'd like to do it with purpose and reason.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I have a big old aluminium "Aga" saucepan in the garage, which was used a couple of years ago to hold about a pint of petrol (repairing my car's fuel pump). The petrol has now evaporated of course, and there is some residue on the base of the pan.
Is this safe to use, if I clean it up? I want to make a big batch of chilli con carne.
I was thinking use either alcohol or fresh petrol to dissolve and remove the residue, then give it a really good scrub (with a wire wool soapy scrubbing pad, Brillo for example) to get rid of anything remaining - would it be safe to assume that if I get it totally clean and there are no funky smells, it's safe to cook in?
Apart from the petrol stain, it's in great condition.

Ohnonotme fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 9, 2014

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

dakana posted:

Can someone point me to some good resources for replacing wheat flour in baking? Wife recently got a hypoglycemia diagnosis and carb/protien/fat goals per meal and snack to go with it while the endocrinologist tries to figure out the cause, so we've been modifying our eating habits to make sure she's staying in those ranges.

I bake a lot - bread, pizza, pretzels, that sort of thing, so I'm somewhat competent, but I am completely lost when it comes to replacing flour. We're primarily concerned with carbohydrates: she needs 45-60g for dinner, and while for a meal that's not hard to stay within, she'd really like to be able to have a cookie or brownie or something every now and then.

Is there a better guide or resource to discussing the properties of various alternative types of flour and meal other than looking up existing recipes? Gluten isn't a concern, so blending is definitely doable, but I'd like to do it with purpose and reason.

I think you're going to have the best luck looking at cooking resources for diabetics. Did the endocrinologist have any resources to check out?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Hawkgirl posted:

I think you're going to have the best luck looking at cooking resources for diabetics. Did the endocrinologist have any resources to check out?

I have no idea why I didn't think to tell her to ask the dietitian or endocrinologist. That's a good idea and I'll definitely have her do that at her next appointment.

She's been checking out some diabetic cooking books and stuff, but a lot of them are surprisingly terrible. I think I'm looking more for some guidelines as to the chemistry and properties rather than "Hey take some sugar free baking mix and pour a diet coke in it". Ideally, I'd like to be able to modify existing recipes using wheat flour by substituting or mixing other flours and compensating the leavening agents, adding xanthan gum, etc to create passable imitations or palatable results. I just haven't been able to find an authoritative or comprehensive reference on it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

dakana posted:

She's been checking out some diabetic cooking books and stuff, but a lot of them are surprisingly terrible. I think I'm looking more for some guidelines as to the chemistry and properties rather than "Hey take some sugar free baking mix and pour a diet coke in it". Ideally, I'd like to be able to modify existing recipes using wheat flour by substituting or mixing other flours and compensating the leavening agents, adding xanthan gum, etc to create passable imitations or palatable results. I just haven't been able to find an authoritative or comprehensive reference on it.

Yeah, I had a quick google and noticed the same thing. My new suggestion is to check out companies that specialize in specialty flours like Bob's Red Mill. They totally have a recipes page on their website but I can't get it to load for some reason, so it may or may not suck.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Is it worth buying a toaster oven? I started making toasted sandwiches in the oven and they're pretty awesome but I'm not a fan of single use appliances taking up space.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Paper With Lines posted:

Is it worth buying a toaster oven? I started making toasted sandwiches in the oven and they're pretty awesome but I'm not a fan of single use appliances taking up space.

It probably saves a lot of energy. I hate having to use my oven for a single sandwich.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Paper With Lines posted:

Single use?! It takes up about the same room as 2 toasters (or one 4-slot toaster) and can literally do anything a full size oven can do (adjusting for size) and uses a fraction of the energy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have a slightly larger one, the Breville Compact Smart Oven. I use mine to cook whole chickens, roast veggies, cook 12-13 inch pizzas, and get decent broiler action since my big oven's broiler is hard to monitor (it's on the bottom)

It preheats faster, uses less energy, and is just all around more convenient if you're cooking for one or two people.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 10, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That is, of course, assuming you're not in a lovely rental house that can't take the extra load on what is often the same circuit as your refrigerator and kitchen lighting.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How does a bottom broiler even work? Call me ignorant, but I thought the definition of a broiler was cooking food close to a source of high heat positioned above the food area.

I mean, how do you crisp the cheese on your pizza etc?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Annath posted:

How does a bottom broiler even work? Call me ignorant, but I thought the definition of a broiler was cooking food close to a source of high heat positioned above the food area.
That's what most bottom broilers are. They're just a short drawer under the oven with a heating element on top. They're structured that way so the same routing can be used for the top element in the broiler and the bottom element in the oven, and they're short so the food will be close to the element.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

SubG posted:

That's what most bottom broilers are. They're just a short drawer under the oven with a heating element on top. They're structured that way so the same routing can be used for the top element in the broiler and the bottom element in the oven, and they're short so the food will be close to the element.

OH! It's a separate compartment! I thought it meant that the bottom element just heated up...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had honey mustard dressing for the first time the other day and really enjoyed it. This was at a place called Newk's Eatery, and I'm trying to recreate the recipe.

This definitely had a strong mustard flavor, a little sweetness, and some creaminess. Here's the nutrition facts:

Can anyone suggest a recipe to get me started? From the facts I'm guessing some eggs and perhaps soy sauce were involved, and they may have built it like a mayonnaise. As someone whose dressing knowledge is basically only the 3:1 vinaigrette thing, I would love some help / pointers for a recipe.

edit: I made a random honey mustard and it was awesome. I think I can tweak from there. Also I was thinking and the soy may just be soy lecithin to keep everything together. But then, why the egg? :iiam:

Hed fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LOL! You can make a surprisingly good honey mustard... by mixing honey and mustard. As you discovered. :)

Commercial stuff is usually full of soybean oil, cause it's cheap and people like grease. I like to put a little fat in a honey mustard sauce (specially if it's going to be a salad dressing), but you can make it totally fat-free, too. Mustard is a natural emulsifier, so you don't really need thickeners and such. Just keep tinkering, man!

As for toaster ovens, I don't have one in my current kitchen set up, and I miss it. The slot toaster takes up less room, but it's single use, really. Among a billion other things, toaster ovens are handy for reheating baked goods and toasting sandwiches. Sometimes I end up nuking stuff that would be better heated in an oven, but I don't want to fire up the big oven for just me.