Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Gough Suppressant posted:

And I swear to god if anyone tries to claim that picking 7-11 is motivated by racism rather than their appalling treatment of staff and prevalence I will rip this thread apart with my bare hands

How is picking 7-11 racist? What are you hiding? :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Captain Pissweak posted:

an Endman post

God save the Queen. :colbert:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

What kind of fancy lives do you lead where you got drunk in your youth on anything other than goon, passionpop or VB?

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

xutech posted:

What kind of fancy lives do you lead where you got drunk in your youth on anything other than goon, passionpop or VB?

Gross, and no.
I only drunk goon, passion pop and VB once of each in my life. It was usually Woodstocks, UDL's and Teddy's (all of which are also incredibly poo poo).

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

xutech posted:

The fancy life of not being a teenager any more.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Is there actually a difference between auspol gbs and auspol d&d beyond post counts getting reset monthly in one of them?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

xutech posted:

Maybe when I was loving twelve.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Is there actually a difference between auspol gbs and auspol d&d beyond post counts getting reset monthly in one of them?

This one's mostly readable

Endman
May 18, 2010

Normally D&D is actually about Australian Politics, but I think we're all a bit burnt out on how horrifyingly poo poo everything is, so we're talking about drinking instead.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

bell jar posted:

This one's mostly readable

:holymoley: nice av

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Ouch.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/frances-abbotts-teacher-says-she-didnt-deserve-scholarship-20140808-102329.html

quote:

Frances Abbott's teacher says she didn't deserve scholarship

Although reading the actual news copy beyond the headline it's pretty clear it's exaggerated, but still.

quote:

He questioned whether Mr Abbott’s daughter was worthy of a merit scholarship, saying while she was a hard-working “high achiever” who got a distinction for portfolio design, “there were a lot more people more deserving [of a scholarship]”.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
You don't get scholarships with a D average. You rarely even get an APA with an HD average, it's usually an HD average + excellent thesis + published papers o_o

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murodese posted:

You don't get scholarships with a D average. You rarely even get an APA with an HD average, it's usually an HD average + excellent thesis + published papers o_o

Yeah, nobody get's a 60,000 dollar scholarship on the basis of a D average. It's laughable.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Orkin Mang posted:

Yeah, nobody get's a 60,000 dollar scholarship on the basis of a D average. It's laughable.

Yeah I agree, and the story is obviously worth persuing.

But still, it must hurt to be Frances Abbott now. Everyone in Australia is leafing through her undergraduate work and calling it poo poo.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

Yeah I agree, and the story is obviously worth persuing.

But still, it must hurt to be Frances Abbott now. Everyone in Australia is leafing through her undergraduate work and calling it poo poo.

tbh if you don't already know your undergrad work is poo poo you're probably a total wanker

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

She got a $60k scholarship off the back of one 15 minute interview before she'd even received any grades to get that D average, she absolutely knew it was dodgy as gently caress and deserves the scrutiny

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

NTRabbit posted:

She got a $60k scholarship off the back of one 15 minute interview before she'd even received any grades to get that D average, she absolutely knew it was dodgy as gently caress and deserves the scrutiny

As there wasn't any scholarship to begin with, it makes it even more dodgy when you add that it was the College that contacted her for said "interview".

'Please come talk to us, we'd love for you to have $60,000 if you'd be so kind as to accept and this has absolutely nothing at all to do with your father in persuading him to deregulate university funding in Australia...'

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

NTRabbit posted:

To be honest, when you're the child of someone wealthy and powerful this sort of poo poo probably happens all the time. I honestly doubt she thought twice about it, and probably assumed it happens to everyone else as well.

You've got to remember how oblivious most people are to their own privilege.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ler posted:

As there wasn't any scholarship to begin with, it makes it even more dodgy when you add that it was the College that contacted her for said "interview".

'Please come talk to us, we'd love for you to have $60,000 if you'd be so kind as to accept and this has absolutely nothing at all to do with your father in persuading him to deregulate university funding in Australia...'

From memory the scholarship had been awarded once before. To a family member of one of the executives. Scratch that, it was the founder's daughter.

quote:

Though both the Prime Minister's office and the Institute themselves have been adamant that Ms Abbott's scholarship was awarded on merit through a non-advertised and discretionary scholarship known as the Chairman's or Managing Director's scholarship, questions have been raised about the nature of that so-called "merit" due to the fact that the scholarship was kept secret from students and most high-level staff at the school, and was not advertised before its awarding, nor announced afterwards. In fact, it seems that in the entire history of the school, the scholarship had only ever been awarded once before. Despite questioning, the school refused to disclose who that other recipient was.

And, as it turns out, there seems to be a very good reason that they're preferring to be tight-lipped on that one. Speaking with Studio 10, New Matilda's editor Chris Graham revealed that the only other recipient of the scholarship was Billie Whitehouse. That surname is not a coincidence, as she is the daughter of the Leanne Whitehouse, the founder and owner of the Whitehouse Institute.

Leanne Whitehouse has issued a statement responding to assertions that Billie Whitehouse received the Chairman's Scholarship thusly: "The Chairman’s Scholarship (formerly the Managing Director’s Scholarship) has been awarded from time to time, at my discretion. My daughter, Billie, studied at Whitehouse. She was not awarded a scholarship but studied here free of charge. Many private tertiary providers have similar arrangements for their children and the children of their senior staff and teachers. The school is wholly owned by myself and it is not unusual nor surprising that, when my daughter showed a strong interest in a career in design, she pursued this interest at Whitehouse."

Apparently studying at mummy's design school free of charge doesn't count as receiving anything.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 8, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
How is that not straight up tax fraud?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Oh please for gently caress's sake don't privatize Medicare. I've already had a couple (a recently qualified speech pathologist, and a child psychologist), who I'm close to, emigrate -- I really don't want any more of my friends to leave, Tone. I'll be lonely here all on my own, Tone :smith:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Murodese posted:

Uh

I got an APA with a D average in my undergrad and no papers?

I got first class for my honours year though so that might have been what did it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

D stands for "drat good job".

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Uh

I got an APA with a D average in my undergrad and no papers?

I got first class for my honours year though so that might have been what did it.

What discipline was it in, and when? I have an APA but had an upper HD average with first class honours and from everything I've heard nowadays getting an APA on anything less than an HD average, or a high D with publications, is practically impossible.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Orkin Mang posted:

What discipline was it in, and when? I have an APA but had an upper HD average with first class honours and from everything I've heard nowadays getting an APA on anything less than an HD average, or a high D with publications, is practically impossible.

Nanotechnology.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Apologies thread my previous Arsetralian headline grab wasn't nearly horrifying enough. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for redemption. Behold:

The Arsetralian why would you click this? Why?

quote:

WE'LL FIGHT ISLAM FOR 100 YEARS
THE AUSTRALIAN AUGUST 09, 2014 12:00AM

Brendan Nicholson Defence Editor Canberra

AUSTRALIA needs to prepare for an increasingly savage, 100-year war against radical Islam that will be fought on home soil as well as foreign lands, the former head of the army, Peter Leahy, has warned. Professor Leahy, a leading defence and strategic analyst, told The Weekend Australian the country was ill-prepared for the high cost of fighting a war that would be paid in “blood and treasure” and would require pre-emptive as well as reactive action. “Australia is involved in the early stages of a war which is likely to last for the rest of the century,” he said. “We must be ready to protect ourselves and, where necessary, act pre-emptively to neutralise the evident threat. Get ready for a long war.”

Senior intelligence officials have moved to shore up public support for the Abbott government’s tough new security laws, including enhanced data-retention capabilities enabling agencies to track suspect computer usage. Australian Security Intelligence Organisation director-general David Irvine said the proposed data laws, which require phone and internet companies to retain records for two years, were “absolutely crucial” to counter the jihadist terror threat.

Web of terror: The journey from the suburbs to jihad

The government’s security package also includes a $630 million funding boost to intelligence agencies and police to help prevent domestic terrorist attacks. Professor Leahy — a former lieutenant general who ran the army for six years, from 2002-2008 — said the threat of radical Islam would require action on several fronts, including a strengthening of controls against biological, chemical and nuclear attacks. It would also include greater protection for critical infra­structure and iconic targets against attack.

The Western withdrawal from Afghanistan did not constitute the end of the so-called war on terror, “nor, as was claimed by prime minister Julia Gillard, in January 2013, a transition from the 9/11 decade”, he said.

Michael Krause, a former senior Australian Army officer res­ponsible for planning the coalition campaign in Afghanistan, said he agreed “absolutely” with Professor Leahy. “I have seen these people,” the retired major general said. “I know how they think. I know how they fight. There is no compromise possible. These long wars require long commitment to outlast radical ideas and provide viable, meaningful alternatives which require a whole-of-government response, rather than assuming the military can or should do it all."

Professor Leahy said politicians needed to “develop an honest and frank dialogue” with the Australian public. “They should advance a narrative that explains that radical Islam­ism and the terrorism it breeds at home and abroad will remain a significant threat for the long term, it will require considerable effort, the expenditure of blood and treasure and it will, of necessity, restrict our rights and liberties,” he said. Professor Leahy is the director of Canberra University’s National Security Institute and part of the Abbott government’s team carrying out a comprehensive review of Defence. He said radical Islamists intent on a new world order were already a threat to the survival of nations in the Middle East and Africa.

If the declared caliphate in Syria and Iraq survived, bases would be established there for attacks on the West and that would embolden “home grown” radicals to attempt attacks in Australia. Military action would be needed to eliminate the threat. Radicals saw the West as “the far enemy” and they were undoubtedly planning more attacks in Australia. Senior intelligence believes the view that the threat posed by radical Islam would pass was “optimistic”.

Mr Irvine, who took the unusual step of speaking to the media yesterday, said the current terrorism threat level of “medium” meant that a terrorism “event” in Australia was likely. “Where our volume of work has increased is that this event could occur in a dozen different places now, whereas before it was in a small, refined area,” he said.

Professor Leahy said that when Australia did choose to be involved its aims must be measured and realistic, with nations under the greatest threat from radical Islamists supported while care was taken not to inflame local tensions. The solution had to come from within the Muslim world, which so far seemed disinclined or unable to imagine a path to peace. Professor Leahy said the threat was likely to worsen as radicals returned from overseas and the internet dumped Islamist propaganda into Australian
living rooms. Some efforts at deradicalisation had begun but a much greater effort must be made to engage Muslim clerics and Islamic thought leaders to debunk radical ideologies being offered to young Australians. “Dual nationality must be reviewed and, where appropriate, terrorists and their sympathisers either expelled from Australia or denied re-entry,” he said. Professor Leahy said Australia must support moderate nations with radical Islamist problems, such as Indonesia and The Philippines.

There you go. Section 18C eat your heart out. Let's have a bunch of far right exAJ nutjobs trumpet 100 years of religious war on the front page :smug:

Just for reference here is a basic threat matrix. Exactly how you define things does alter outcomes but simply put here RED/EXTREME means you absolutely need to address it, ORANGE/HIGH means you need to have a credible solution available YELLOW/MEDIUM means should address it, resources permitting, and LIGHT GREEN/LOW means it's something you should apply resources to if they available after fully dealing with the RED, ORANGE and YELLOW (DARK GREEN means you are worrying about the wrong things).

So for 'expert' David Irvine to go for MEDIUM he would have to be asserting that the threat was either really unlikely but with catastrophic consequences or on the line between that and very high probability (sometimes called certain) but low consequence. OK fair enough. The evidence to date says ~50 people motivated enough to go and fight over seas with limited to no intentions to do anything in Australia (the worst credible threat ever released was the guys who were going to try and gun down some soldiers and another bloke who had 'materials capable of making bombs' - HINT This is you you have those materials under your kitchen sink. I'm struggling to go to this being a SIGNIFICANT threat. As MINOR is all we are left with the likelyhood has to be CERTAIN to warrant being declared MEDIUM as a threat.

Conclusion :- :itwaspoo:

Also featured was how the Australian Press Council was giving the paper a sad. Looks like it's war there too!

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 9, 2014

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Nanotechnology.

One of the sciences then. For the humanities, a D without publications will pretty much never get you an APA Francis Abbott was doing a bloody design course. A D average is hardly impressive.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Good thing they're spending so much on fighter planes then. The perfect tool for fighting those domestic terrists

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Apologies thread my previous Arsetralian headline grab wasn't nearly horrifying enough. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for redemption. Behold:

There you go. Section 18C eat your heart out. Let's have a bunch of far right exAJ nutjobs trumpet 100 years of religious war on the front page :smug:

Just for reference here is a basic threat matrix. Exactly how you define things does alter outcomes but simply put here RED/EXTREME means you absolutely need to address it, ORANGE/HIGH means you need to have a credible solution available YELLOW/MEDIUM means should address it, resources permitting, and LIGHT GREEN/LOW means it's something you should apply resources to if they available after fully dealing with the RED, ORANGE and YELLOW (DARK GREEN means you are worrying about the wrong things).

So for 'expert' David Irvine to go for MEDIUM he would have to be asserting that the threat was either really unlikely but with catastrophic consequences or on the line between that and very high probability (sometimes called certain) but low consequence. OK fair enough. The evidence to date says ~50 people motivated enough to go and fight over seas with limited to no intentions to do anything in Australia (the worst credible threat ever released was the guys who were going to try and gun down some soldiers and another bloke who had 'materials capable of making bombs' - HINT This is you you have those materials under your kitchen sink. I'm struggling to go to this being a SIGNIFICANT threat. As MINOR is all we are left with the likelyhood has to be CERTAIN to warrant being declared MEDIUM as a threat.

Conclusion :- :itwaspoo:

Also featured was how the Australian Press Council was giving the paper a sad. Looks like it's war there too!

idk, the crusades seemed to work pretty well

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

starkebn posted:

Good thing they're spending so much on fighter planes then. The perfect tool for fighting those domestic terrists

"Tony Abbott has stated the ADF were responding to a credible threat when conducting an airstrike which killed 5,000 greens voters in central Melbourne today"

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

That Australian article reminds me of some bad race war novel poo poo.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Couple of questions that I should know the answer to (as I want to go into research post grad) but don't; if a HD is 7/7 how do you have a HD average GPA without getting all HDs throughout your degree? And when you guys say published do you mean like peer reviewed conference papers or journals? Because I don't really see an undergrad producing journal quality work.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Kim Jong ill posted:

Couple of questions that I should know the answer to (as I want to go into research post grad) but don't; if a HD is 7/7 how do you have a HD average GPA without getting all HDs throughout your degree? And when you guys say published do you mean like peer reviewed conference papers or journals? Because I don't really see an undergrad producing journal quality work.

At least in my field (science) people sometimes produce publications during their honours year or immediately afterwards if their supervisor hires them as a technician and they get to work on a project. And yeah, they're talking journals. Though I guess that's all a bit less important in science since you can get a PhD scholarship with second class honours.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It really depends on your field and your individual situation. Establishing a good rapport with potential supervisors is as important as your undergrad work.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Kim Jong ill posted:

When people say HD average, they are typically referring to WAM rather than GPA. As you can guess, getting a true HD GPA is very difficult and very few people will achieve it (in my graduating year it was 1/4000). Undergrads publishing conference papers is much more common than in journals, yes. But in some fields conferences are as if not more important than journals, so it doesn't necessarily mean that their work isn't good (especially if they are collaborating with advisors on [the advisors] truly groundbreaking work, which isn't that uncommon).

I'm a little skeptical at the people saying a D average is hardly impressive, P and C averages far outnumber D averages.

The difficulty of getting an APA is also high dependent on institution. It's much harder to get an APA at Melbourne, say, than at Newcastle simply because of supply and demand. The easiest but still successful path for an APA is to try be the student of top academics at smaller regional universities (because each Australian university, regardless of "prestige" or whatever will have at least a handful of extremely prominent academics) since there is less competition from prestige hounds who don't yet understand that advisor trumps institution.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Orkin Mang posted:

One of the sciences then. For the humanities, a D without publications will pretty much never get you an APA Francis Abbott was doing a bloody design course. A D average is hardly impressive.

Muro was talking about it, and he's in STEM. That's what made me curious.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cartoon posted:

Jesus Christ.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Senator Bob Day has confirmed he intends to introduce a private members bill into the Senate on 18C

the arse posted:

Senator Day has revealed he will introduce a private senator’s bill to remove what he describes as “chilling” restrictions on free speech after Tony Abbott this week abandoned plans to rework section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

“Someone has to champion the cause of freedom. You can’t allow yourself to be intimidated by any particular group,’’ Senator Day told The Weekend Australian.

The South Australian first-term senator said he was confident of winning support from his fellow balance-of-power crossbenchers.

This would mean any repeal of section 18C would be blocked only if the government failed to back Senator Day’s reforms.

“The main focus of my first term was going to be solely ‘every family, a job and a house’, and I was very committed to this. However, I simply cannot stand by and watch a fundamental principle go un­defended,” Senator Day said.

“Whereas freedom of speech has not been a core Family First policy, it is a principle that transcends all policies. I did not intend to take the running on this but, when the government walked away, someone had to do it.”

The government had proposed scrapping the protections making it unlawful to offend, insult, ­humiliate or intimidate other ­people or groups of people because of their race, colour or national or ethnic origin and replacing them with provisions making it unlawful to vilify or intimidate others on similar grounds.

“When the government announced it was amending section 18C, I was very pleased and fully intended to support (it),’’ Senator Day said. He said when Labor’s legal ­affairs spokesman, Mark Dreyfus, wrote and asked him to reject the proposals, Senator Day replied to let him know he was a staunch supporter of free speech.

The government ditched the changes on Tuesday while announcing plans to beef up Australia’s counter-terrorism powers, saying the changes to 18C were a needless complication. The Prime Minister later ruled out reviving the government’s changes.

“I can understand that they say it is too hard to introduce,’’ Senator Day said.

“Well, I’ll introduce it and you can then just vote for my bill. If I can get the crossbenchers on board, then the fate of free speech will be in the hands of the government, not Labor or the Greens.’’

The IPA happily tweeted this to the world. Thank god they still have some influence eh eh?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Race war headline next to the failure of a father to de-radicalise his son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Pope:

• Locked thread