Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
did i mention my new job is going to involve maintaining ruby (but not rails) code

not sure how i feel about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Introduce Erlang to yer team :getin:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
what else are you looking for in your ideal programming hell mr. tef

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MononcQc posted:

"Notorious damme of the B.S.D. has fallen ill after looking past the hedges of her IDEs, my lord"
"Send a rmaven to town and ask the doctor for leeches from the island of Java, it's the only cure!"

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

tef posted:

did i mention my new job is going to involve maintaining ruby (but not rails) code

i am of the completely uninformed and wildly speculative opinion that you're going to be surprisingly happy with your new digs

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

"Notorious damme of the B.S.D. has fallen ill after looking past the hedges of her IDEs, my lord"
"Send a rmaven to town and ask the doctor for leeches from the island of Java, it's the only cure!"

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

my stepdads beer posted:

please list your good langauges

fortran

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

there are none

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

my stepdads beer posted:

68k asm is kinda neat

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Dessert Rose posted:

if i prefer to keep my code under 80 columns

it's not the 70s anymore, let this bullshit go forever pls tia

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

it's not the 70s anymore, let this bullshit go forever pls tia

seriously why the gently caress is that a thing anymore. i can split-screen two 80 column files and still have a ton of wasted space. gently caress you i make my lines as long as they need to be

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

seriously why the gently caress is that a thing anymore. i can split-screen two 80 column files and still have a ton of wasted space. gently caress you i make my lines as long as they need to be

but can you split screen three 80 column files??? :colbert:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

yeah actually. <3 my thunderbolt monitor

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

tef posted:

i loved the job i had maintaining non-rails ruby. its a really easy language to work with imo

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

grep the source tree for method_missing first thing imo :v

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Or just get a second monitor

seriously this is the dumbest part of the PEP-8 "style guide" that needs to be violated constantly

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tiny Bug Child posted:

you put your finger on why 80 column limits are a thing: I want to be able to split-screen two 80-column files and still have space for my web browser or terminal session

for php clusterfucks with 5,000 line files i end up having two windows looking at different parts of the same file

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Or just get a second monitor

seriously this is the dumbest part of the PEP-8 "style guide" that needs to be violated constantly

yes that makes perfect sense, i'll just get multiple monitors and attach them to my laptop rather than make my coworkers adhere to a style guide

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

joke's on you

i'm an emacs user :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Otto Skorzeny posted:

grep the source tree for method_missing first thing imo :v

this is unironically good advice, because often where you find method_missing is the heart for method dispatch to the whole library/application

but use ack instead of grep, because it is at least marginally code-aware. (no more grep -r thing . | grep -v .git, at least)
http://beyondgrep.com/

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yeah i actually think line length limits are Good but 80 is a little small in tyool 2014, probably could do 100-120 and still be fine

alternatively if there were an editor plugin i could install that would wrap lines in a non-hideous manner i'd be ok with no limits

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes that makes perfect sense, i'll just get multiple monitors and attach them to my laptop rather than make my coworkers adhere to a style guide
yes that makes perfect sense I'll enforce a standard of less readable code rather than buy simple equipment to put on the desk I use for my actual job

I mean seriously this is like buying a 2 dollar mouse and then insisting that no program at work require a scroll wheel

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah i actually think line length limits are Good but 80 is a little small in tyool 2014, probably could do 100-120 and still be fine

alternatively if there were an editor plugin i could install that would wrap lines in a non-hideous manner i'd be ok with no limits

tbf I agree with this, 80 is just way too small (120 is 50% larger and still only half the screen on larger displays/smaller font sizes!)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i think with 100 i could still fit 3 buffers side by side on my 24" monitor

i usually like to have the .h, the .cpp and the unit test all open side by side (i mostly work in c++ ugh)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

yes that makes perfect sense I'll enforce a standard of less readable code rather than buy simple equipment to put on the desk I use for my actual job

what if i want to work somewhere that isn't my desk? you know, on the laptop, that i carry everywhere, that cost my employer a bloody fortune?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what if i want to work somewhere that isn't my desk? you know, on the laptop, that i carry everywhere, that cost my employer a bloody fortune?

sorry about your working conditions where desks are unproductive :(

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

programming on a laptop is self-flagellation

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Narrow lines are more readable and aesthetically pleasing. If your lines are regularly longer than 80 chars then that's also a bad sign and u need to decompose them a bit more (it is a legit pain in the rear end for printf type statements tho).

I'm always OCD about it in my own code but I'm not going to bitch at other people who don't care about it.

now if only I could find a text editor that intelligently wrapped code in accordance with that rule.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

If your lines are regularly longer than 80 chars then that's also a bad sign and u need to decompose them a bit more (it is a legit pain in the rear end for printf type statements tho).
my main problem w/ 80 chars is that it doesnt play well with long, descriptive names. you can blow through 80 chars just instantiating a generic type in C# (gently caress you C# where's my diamond operator) and its even worse in java (gently caress you java where's my var)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

80 characters is narrow as poo poo and basically makes it impossible to put a sql query on one line. and if your tabs are correctly set at 8 characters wide, you pretty much always lose 10-20% of the available width right off the bat

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

80 characters is narrow as poo poo and basically makes it impossible to put a sql query on one line.

omg why would you want to do this in the first place

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

omg why would you want to do this in the first place

because sometimes it's perfectly fine? like, say you want to get the count of members from a certain affiliate. why is it bad to just go

$count = DB::get("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM members WHERE affiliate_id=?", $affiliate_id);

how would you improve that

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
that seems fine, any more complex than that though i would want to break up into multiple lines to make it more readable

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
code:
$count = DB::get(
    "SELECT COUNT(*)
     FROM   members
     WHERE  affiliate_id = ?",
    $affiliate_id
);

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
haha. sql in your code. very funny

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

prefect posted:

code:
    "SELECT COUNT(*)
     FROM   members
    $affiliate_id
);

this is more readable to me but with a query that short it's a matter of taste

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

prefect posted:

code:
    "SELECT COUNT(*)
     FROM   members
    $affiliate_id
);

this is not an improvement.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kleave me out of this

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this is not an improvement.

tbc was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my lines are arbitrarily long

this is good

because then i can stuff 1024-element LUTs inline and the only way you know theyre there is when the IDE starts struggling real hard