Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

That's very telling.

Of what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am now adding lions to the list of animals that I demand be domesticated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lugqyjbENME

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My city is constructing their 7th elementary school and just changed the name from "Yorba Elementary School", named after the family that owned 1/2 the city when it was all farmland dating back since the late 1800s, to "Ronald Reagan Elementary" because reasons. :cripes:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They really should have gone with Nixon Elementary.

Could have tied it in with the 40th anniversary and everything.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

The fighting Milhouses!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Go Orthogonians, GO!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

I am now adding lions to the list of animals that I demand be domesticated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lugqyjbENME

I'm pretty sure lions are basically exactly as domesticated as cats are. Or within the rough spectrum.
The major difference is size. When your cat gets pissed at you and tries to bite, you spray it with a water bottle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Joementum posted:

Interestingly enough that's where the "Yorba" in "Yorba Linda", Nixon's birthplace, comes from.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure lions are basically exactly as domesticated as cats are. Or within the rough spectrum.
The major difference is size. When your cat gets pissed at you and tries to bite, you spray it with a water bottle.

I think you could do that with a lion. However, he may pop your head like a grape if he takes exception.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

Hmmm perhaps...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMi136tURg

Also this is my favorite big cat video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tklx3j7kgJY

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FCKGW posted:

Interestingly enough that's where the "Yorba" in "Yorba Linda", Nixon's birthplace, comes from.

Yeah, I put two and two together on "Yorba Elementary" being turned into "Ronald Reagan Elementary" and guessed it was in SoCal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I just love that the real official name for these breeds of cat is 'big cats' :kimchi:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do cats like to have their bellies rubbed or not???

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
some love it, some hate it. cats!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Our cat starts meowing and rolling around on the ground like she wants her belly rubbed and then you do it for a minute and she bites at you??

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Maybe your cat only likes to have its belly rubbed for brief periods of time?

It is not recommended that you try to rub the belly of a big cat, no matter how :3: it would be if you could

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Our cat starts meowing and rolling around on the ground like she wants her belly rubbed and then you do it for a minute and she bites at you??

This is typical cat behavior. Install dog instead, problem solved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My dog died last month :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I find the self-involved rear end in a top hat nature of cats more endearing than the dumb bootlicking goofiness of dogs. My friend has a border collie who is rad as hell and very smart, but I think he's autistic.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

Yeah, I put two and two together on "Yorba Elementary" being turned into "Ronald Reagan Elementary" and guessed it was in SoCal.

Yeah my first thought was "well you live in the IE/OC no-mans-land what did you expect".

<--- wow that's a hell of a delay on this one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wha'd you do?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

That's rough, buddy. :smith:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Wha'd you do?

was vocal about feminism

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's kind of bullshit dogs only live 10-15 years. Mine was a 14-yo GSD and he couldn't walk at the end.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

That sucks bro, all dogs own.

Byron had a Newfie, it owned:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

He also had a bear!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
A Newfie is basically a bear.

"Bark bark, I own"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Cats like only a certain amount of belly rub. I'm sure there's a formula based on the lunar cycle.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

I think you could do that with a lion. However, he may pop your head like a grape if he takes exception.

Exactly my point. Since you're so much bigger than your cat, he is forced to simply try to do it with his mental powers.
This is largely pure internet theory based on watching lots of videos, but every time I see a great cat video, I am struck by the vast similarity of behavior between the great and small cats. (And yes, I'm including the 'if I fits, I sits' pictures.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11uu8L8FTY) Lions, when treated well, appear to have a very good record of being loving, incredibly huggy cats. (You've seen the video of the lion hugging the guy with his full body, while scent-marking his face with the lion's cheeks?) (not this one, but I like this one.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yqoyaSPOI

There are, in fact, multiple notable incidents of 'pet lions'.

It's just that if things go wrong, they go _really wrong_.

And given the behavior of your typical cat, I'm willing to say that it'd go 'really wrong' more than enough times to maim a person.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 8, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

Yeah it's kind of bullshit dogs only live 10-15 years. Mine was a 14-yo GSD and he couldn't walk at the end.

Hate it when they go out like that. My parent's dog is a little over 10 and he's getting a bit gimpy in the back legs. He still loves to chase basically anything you throw, but it's clear it's starting to hurt a bit.

SedanChair posted:

Since I posted Emperor Norton recently in the pic thread, I'd be remiss not to also include:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SedanChair posted:

Could he understand it? Because, man, Newfies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

I'm sorry man =(

Sounds like it's time for a puppy. We had some friends bring a puppy over to our house last night and our dogs started teaching it how to play, it was ridiculously cute. Like, our dog would pat it on the nose, then it would reach up and awkwardly pat our dog on the nose . . . so adorable

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ReindeerF posted:

Could he understand it? Because, man, Newfies.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
as a UC Irvine student I'm relieved there's nothing named after Reagan or Nixon on campus

please tell me there isn't anything named after those two on campus

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Best Presidentially named campus building is the LBJ Library because it's an actual working library and endowment and not a shrine.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Man, I hate not being able to find the video I'm thinking of. There's a guy walking up to a cage, and then he opens the door, and the lion leaps out (lioness, I think) and does this claw-claw-rake thing, except it's all hugging and marking the guy.

Here's more hugging lions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdhovtVB1Bg

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

Best Presidentially named campus building is the LBJ Library because it's an actual working library and endowment and not a shrine.

The Truman Library is pretty nice, except for the fact that it's in Missouri.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

Having spent a week working in it back in June, I have to admit that the Nixon Library and archive is very well organized and staffed by helpful, professional people who want to help with any project, regardless of what attitude you take towards that library's namesake. I know since mine contains a hefty amount of "he was a criminal shithead who did damage to America that persists to this day," albeit in somewhat more polite language.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

moller posted:

Christianity is stupid!
Communism is good!
Give up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EseXUufowr8

quote:

Controversy
Because of a shortage of funds and free time, Negativland was unable to tour in support of their 1987 album. To explain the absence from touring, Negativland issued a mock press release saying that the song "Christianity Is Stupid" had played a role in the David Brom murders.[4] They said that "federal authorities" had directed them to stay close to home for further questioning.[2] Brom, 16 at the time, had killed his family with an axe. Negativland's press release was picked up by San Francisco Bay Area media, including CBS News. Negativland recorded much of the news about their supposed influence on Brom, and in 1989 worked this material into another album called Helter Stupid.[5] Eventually, Negativland exposed their own hoax during an NPR interview on the subject.

Negativland rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FCKGW posted:

My city is constructing their 7th elementary school and just changed the name from "Yorba Elementary School", named after the family that owned 1/2 the city when it was all farmland dating back since the late 1800s, to "Ronald Reagan Elementary" because reasons. :cripes:

Where I grew up the best high school in the district was named Ronald Reagan High School. It was of course in the rich, white part of town. They definitely built it before he was dead, I wanna say late 90s?

Someone ought to do a study to see if there's a correlation between the affluency of a school's neighborhoods and the conservativeness of their namesake.

• Locked thread