Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Can Labour win next year without the backing of the Murdoch press though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They can, but they're so incompetent that they think that they can't.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Alan Johnson would be a better Shadow Chancellor. The Tories are going to run on mined quotes from Harman and Balls to rubbish their economic credentials. Johnson, on the other hand, has been kept out of the limelight, and wasn't that bad in the three months he was in the post.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

tdrules posted:

Can Labour win next year without the backing of the Murdoch press though?

The Tories barely won with their backing this time round. The playing field is changing and the presses power is diminishing. Labour could play this to their advantage ("The Tories and their pals in the media vs the people's party"), but there's so much entrenched fear of the press in Westminster that I doubt they'd go for it.

Also be interesting to see what the Guardian does this time round. Their readership utterly hate the lib dems, surely the paper can't continue to support them?

winegums fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 8, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the Daily Mail is not a Murdoch publication but it has a lot of politically-relevant readers (i.e., upper to middle class women) and arguably has a better ability to summon populism than the Labour party, or really any party

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Unpatriotic toddlers are doubleplus ungood: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/aug/08/nicky-morgan-toddler-must-be-taught-british-values

quote:

Children still in nappies will be taught "fundamental British values," according to a policy announcement to be made by the new education secretary, Nicky Morgan.

In her first pronouncement since taking over following the demotion of Michael Gove, Morgan is to say she will allow local authorities to cut off state funding to nurseries that "promote extremist views" – including the teaching of creationism – and add the promotion of British values to the early years curriculum in England, covering pre-school education.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Stone did you get that northern ireland job?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What the gently caress are fundamental British values anyway?

If they're teaching kids tolerance, empathy and why nationalised healthcare is the bees knees then fine.

If they're teaching them to love the Queen, despise foreigners and that they should impose a system of regimented barbarism across the free world then loving booooo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
ISIS flag in east london.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/flag-isis-jihadi-islamic-state-flown-poplar-east-london?CMP=twt_fd

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Mr. Flunchy posted:

If they're teaching kids tolerance, empathy and why nationalised healthcare is the bees knees then fine.

If they're teaching them to love the Queen, despise foreigners and that they should impose a system of regimented barbarism across the free world then loving booooo.

The Suffragist, Chartist and Luddite movements originated in Britain after all, and the NHS has been described as "the closest thing Brits have to a religion". British values! :getin:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Buccaneering entrepreneurship ofc

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Haha stupid Royal Extremists..

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Bit misleading that. The flag is associated with jihad in general , and from the context it's clearly a display of Palestinian solidarity. ISIS may be marching under similar flags, but that's a whole other business.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Nurseries that teach creationism will also be ineligible for taxpayer funding under the proposals, although a government source told the Telegraph: "We are absolutely not saying, 'You can't teach Bible stories'."
What the gently caress even is this then? Are there any nurseries that are teaching the origin of life in anything other than a highly allegorical and storytime way? I don't remember learning anything about the origin of species until science was split into physics/chem/bio at 11. (Do they still even do this?)

Or is the emphasis there on 'Bible stories', and funding for nurseries that teach Quran/Buddhavacana/Book of Mormon/Principia Discordia stories will be withdrawn?

haakman
May 5, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Unpatriotic toddlers are doubleplus ungood

Have they come out and said what British Values are? Or are they keeping it purposefully nebulous? Moreover who is in charge of setting what 'British Values' are and why do they get to define values which may, or may not, be in support of anyone elses values? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes and all that.

Just a loving dogwhistle as far as I am confirmed.

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

My constituency (Bristol W) will be a good indicator of just how hosed they are. If Stephen Williams goes (I loving hope so) then pretty much no-one is safe.

(I'll also laugh if Cleggy loses his seat)

E: How reliable is Electoral Calculus? Their vulnerable list has some pretty big names
It's also interesting to see what it's doing in those seats they don't have. Some formerly wobbly Tory seats are becoming super-safe with the collapse of the LibDems.

My hometown constituency, Orpington, is terrible Tory country but had fairly strong Libdem support at least while I lived there (the Libdems almost won in 2001 with 43.3% of the vote vs the tories' 43.9%). Now, according to that site, it's listed as one of the safest seats in the country with a Tory win for BoJo's brother listed as being about 97% likely. The biggest growing threat to the tories there now comes from "other" votes in the Darwin ward which is probably because that's where Nigel Fartrage lives and its full of rich, rural 'kippers and old people.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Phoon posted:

Stone did you get that northern ireland job?

Yeah had to fly over Wednesday night to have a medical and sort poo poo for a CRB check yesterday, got back this morning have had no sleep and have to go sell cigars down the pub tonight fucks sake. Oh well should be starting around mid to late September so I'll finally get to move out the city and live in the middle of nowhere again, bliss.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

haakman posted:

Have they come out and said what British Values are? Or are they keeping it purposefully nebulous? Moreover who is in charge of setting what 'British Values' are and why do they get to define values which may, or may not, be in support of anyone elses values? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes and all that.

Just a loving dogwhistle as far as I am confirmed.

Yes, I think I've posted this before.

DfE posted:

democracy
the rule of law
individual liberty
mutual respect
tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs

There's nothing there that's either new nor controversial to be honest, it was all taught under the previous government's Citizenship/PSHCE curriculum (alongside stuff like life decisions, managing finances, etc). Citizenship/PSHCE is,and I was a real sceptic when I was training, actually a fairly good idea as there are lots of life skills that children aren't being taught elsewhere and they need for life during and after school (some of the stuff, like understanding their rights to be in control of their own bodies is critical these days).

What is new is the way in which this government has chosen to enforce these (as seen in the Trojan horse debacle), it's moved it away from a curriculum item, as it was under the previous government, to a diktat from the DfE and something apparently Ofsted can close your school on. Now, I've not had any training on the new Ofsted framework (I last had training on the 2012 inspection framework) that encompasses this British Values malarky ( I doubt anyone has to be honest) so until I do I can't say any more about how we are supposed to demonstrate our loyalty to the Regime promotion of British Values.

The singling out of creationism seems to be because the DfE under Gove was caught out in the early days of his Academisation/Free Schools policy by some Christian fundies setting up schools or schools (Vardy academies I think) using American Evangelical Christian Science curricula that promoted Creationism as scientific fact. So now they have to keep reminding people that they're against that sort of thing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Have Labour tried to adopt the Obama campaign's use of quants and data mining at all?
All the main parties use this stuff. They've become very, very good at identifying swing voters in marginal constituencies which is why their entire election campaigns are aimed squarely at these people. Which is why a lot of people feel that the stuff politicians bang on about is irrelevant or not aimed at them. If you don't live in a marginal seat then you're correct, it's not aimed at you at all.

The real question is how well someone whose expertise is in other countries (which goes for both Crosby and Axelrod) can map that experience onto Britain, which is a very different place. Especially now, with a coalition government and UKIP to consider. It's an interesting question how well all the internal models work when they're way outside of the domain they were developed for (ie mostly a two-horse race between Labour and the Tories leading to the formation of a single-party government).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

While it's clearly a black standard it doesn't look like an ISIS flag to me. Black standard flags are used everywhere in the Muslim world and not just by jihadist groups.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

gently caress that's an amazing first line. "A black flag with white Arabic writing, similar to those flown by jihadist groups, was flying at the entrance of an east London housing state near Canary Wharf." A black flag with some white writing on it we can't read. Send in the journalists! gently caress me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

While it's clearly a black standard it doesn't look like an ISIS flag to me. Black standard flags are used everywhere in the Muslim world and not just by jihadist groups.

It was identified by one of the protesters as an ISIS flag, unless I'm misreading the article.

Apparently Manchester Town Hall want to ban pro-Palestine protests on King Street because they're anti-Semitic. Why did I have to come home for a weekend?

haakman
May 5, 2011

HortonNash posted:

Yes, I think I've posted this before.

There's nothing there that's either new nor controversial to be honest, it was all taught under the previous government's Citizenship/PSHCE curriculum (alongside stuff like life decisions, managing finances, etc). Citizenship/PSHCE is,and I was a real sceptic when I was training, actually a fairly good idea as there are lots of life skills that children aren't being taught elsewhere and they need for life during and after school (some of the stuff, like understanding their rights to be in control of their own bodies is critical these days).

What is new is the way in which this government has chosen to enforce these (as seen in the Trojan horse debacle), it's moved it away from a curriculum item, as it was under the previous government, to a diktat from the DfE and something apparently Ofsted can close your school on. Now, I've not had any training on the new Ofsted framework (I last had training on the 2012 inspection framework) that encompasses this British Values malarky ( I doubt anyone has to be honest) so until I do I can't say any more about how we are supposed to demonstrate our loyalty to the Regime promotion of British Values.

The singling out of creationism seems to be because the DfE under Gove was caught out in the early days of his Academisation/Free Schools policy by some Christian fundies setting up schools or schools (Vardy academies I think) using American Evangelical Christian Science curricula that promoted Creationism as scientific fact. So now they have to keep reminding people that they're against that sort of thing.

Good - I was worried it was going to be more tosh ala revisionist golly-weren't-the-trenches-a-nice-place-to-be British history.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jedit posted:

It was identified by one of the protesters as an ISIS flag, unless I'm misreading the article.

One outright denied it and another replied with "so what if it is?" which I'm pretty sure was meant to be simply confrontational with the journalist rather than actually answering his question.

The flag in question

compared to the ISIS flag

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 8, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

One outright denied it and another replied with "so what if it is?" which I'm pretty sure was meant to be simply confrontational with the journalist rather than actually answering his question.

The flag in question

Isn't that black flag, the one in London, just the standard Shahada ("There is no god but Allah and Mohamed is His prophet")?

I can't read Arabic, but it looks similar.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

HortonNash posted:

Isn't that black flag, the one in London, just the standard Shahada ("There is no god but Allah and Mohamed is His prophet")?

I can't read Arabic, but it looks similar.

Yes it is. The Shahada is on pretty much everything in the Islam world, including the Isis flag. For all the arguments that the various sects of Islam have with each other it's the one thing they all agree on that you need to hold true to be a Muslim.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 8, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Malcolm XML posted:

What industry do you work in? Do you need a visa?

Late response, but web development, and no, I know nowt about Visas.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

The flag in question

This sort of thing makes me want to take a black flag, write a fart joke on it in Arabic and hang it outside to see what happens.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So the Morning Star think the public don't have a right to know if an elected union official is a rapist domestic abuser because it might make the union look bad, and will threaten to sack any journalists who challenge that.

:negative:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 8, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

So the Morning Star think the public don't have a right to know if an elected union official is a rapist because it might make the union look bad, and will threaten to sack any journalists who challenge that.

Your link doesn't mention rape or rapist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

gently caress that's an amazing first line. "A black flag with white Arabic writing, similar to those flown by jihadist groups, was flying at the entrance of an east London housing state near Canary Wharf." A black flag with some white writing on it we can't read. Send in the journalists! gently caress me

The whole thing reads like a loving Fox news article.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Your link doesn't mention rape or rapist.

Thanks for catching. Although, they'd probably do the same about Delta too.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

Thanks for catching. Although, they'd probably do the same about Delta too.

I don't know what that means it just seems odd you'd arbitrarily toss the word rapist in there as if you haven't read the thing you've linked to.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

i know you've all be thinking lately "that farage hasn't been in the news nearly enough, what is this media blackout?"
well fret no more, like boris johnson this week his general election ambitions are gearing up.

http://www.newstatesman.com/print/node/207816

quote:

The Ukip leader finally makes his choice.

by George Eaton [2] Published 8 August, 2014 - 15:48

Nigel Farage has long made it clear that he intends to stand for parliament next year, while so far refusing to say where. But the FT has the news [3] that the Ukip leader is on the candidate selection list for Tory-held South Thanet. Ahead of a hustings meeting on 26 August, the local party secretary tells the paper: "It is the worst-kept secret in town. We now have two names on the list and one of them is Mr Farage. Whether he will get selected or not is another matter . . . although I’d be surprised if he doesn’t."

Farage's choice doesn't come as a surprise. The constituency lies in his native Kent (where he pledged to stand) and a recent Lord Ashcroft poll put Ukip in first place. In the May local elections, the party won seven out of eight seats on the county council, leaving the Tories without a single representative.

The Ukip leader finished fourth when he stood in the seat in 2005, and only managed third place when he ran in John Bercow's Buckingham constituency in 2010, but he has good reason to believe he can improve on both of those performances this time round.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Boris might be a legernd (or however we're spelling that to imply that he and anyone who likes him is a dick) but does he like tits daily? Because David "man of the people (who own a yacht)" Cameron apparently does.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

how many times can journalists recycle the same "downing st twitter follows something ridiculous because they had a stupid auto follow back set up years ago" story. i've seen it at least 3 times in the last year.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cerv posted:

how many times can journalists recycle the same "downing st twitter follows something ridiculous because they had a stupid auto follow back set up years ago" story. i've seen it at least 3 times in the last year.
At least once more, as always.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cerv posted:

Perhaps No 10 should've taken one of these multiple opportunities to stop the official twitter account of the Prime minister following such ridiculous things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Perhaps No 10 should've taken one of these multiple opportunities to stop the official twitter account of the Prime minister following such ridiculous things?

Get a load of this guy, expecting competent government in connection with computers!

• Locked thread