Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426500&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=63

The Dwarf Fortress 2014 Arena competition is open! Get your fighters in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Met posted:

What am I looking at here?

I was climbing around a goblin dark pit and fell, and those are about the ~100 trolls I fell into.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Are any of you raw editing wizards willing to tell me how to modify the noble GCS so I can breed them?

I managed to catch a male and female and it seems like a waste not to set them against my enemies. :getin:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Started a new fortress in a jungle where it rains elf blood. A bunch of the starting seven got a "had a nice bath recently" thought from the blood rain.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

hrnk huff hurble

Toady One posted:

Here are some bugs that were fixed.

Made install colony jobs respect each other's targets
Made install colony jobs react to missing hive at gather destination
Stopped sleeping/incapacitated dwarves from doing things
Stopped paralyzed injured dwarves from spamming rest cancellation messages
Stopped some CPU-intensive temperature wobble (ag)

Fixed beekeeping? Finally.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

As of this moment, we still need 25 more fighters in the new Arena test tournament. There will be a larger, longer, "official" tournament after this test tournament, which hopefully will only take about a month.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Are there any issues with brewing at the moment? I'm running v40.06, but it's a game started using 40.04. I have plenty of rock pots and plump helmets, helmet are allowed to be brewed in the Kitchen window, but the option to brew from plants is red to me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: oops

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

unicr0n posted:

Are there any issues with brewing at the moment? I'm running v40.06, but it's a game started using 40.04. I have plenty of rock pots and plump helmets, helmet are allowed to be brewed in the Kitchen window, but the option to brew from plants is red to me.

I've been having the same issue. The only thing I can guess is happening is that the barrels that the Plump Helmets are being stored in are also being used for seeds or some other thing and are thus in constant transit. I'm working on fixing that and trying a few other things, but I haven't had any luck in the past few hours.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Does temperature no longer kill units with cold? I settled in an arctic environment, hoping to freeze siegers/forgotten beasts to death, but I just had a werecougar turn in to a naked human and run across the map, covered only in slime, cat blood, and snow. But they didn't get any temperature problems. I have temperature turned on.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

I've been having the same issue. The only thing I can guess is happening is that the barrels that the Plump Helmets are being stored in are also being used for seeds or some other thing and are thus in constant transit. I'm working on fixing that and trying a few other things, but I haven't had any luck in the past few hours.

I thought it was maybe that too, might try setting up a food stockpile that can only hold plump helmets and link it to the still.

I read something on the DF Forums saying it might be an issue with a Graphics Pack altering the raw files? No idea if that's even true but I'm seeing the same issue running with default ascii so I don't think that's the case.

Jackdaw Zero
Sep 2, 2011

dragon_pamcake posted:

Are any of you raw editing wizards willing to tell me how to modify the noble GCS so I can breed them?

I managed to catch a male and female and it seems like a waste not to set them against my enemies. :getin:

According to the wiki, GCS should already be able to breed, unless Toady made a stealth change to them. The female needs to be uncaged, though. And decently tame, too, to avoid accidents.

If you specifically want War (or Hunting) Giant Cave Spiders: data>save>[gcs region]>raw>objects>creature_subterranean, search for the giant cave spider entry, and add [TRAINABLE] after the [PET_EXOTIC] tag. Backup the txt doc before you edit it though, just in case.

Report how it works, and how much FUN you're having with your new webby friends!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jackdaw Zero posted:

According to the wiki, GCS should already be able to breed, unless Toady made a stealth change to them. The female needs to be uncaged, though. And decently tame, too, to avoid accidents.

If you specifically want War (or Hunting) Giant Cave Spiders: data>save>[gcs region]>raw>objects>creature_subterranean, search for the giant cave spider entry, and add [TRAINABLE] after the [PET_EXOTIC] tag. Backup the txt doc before you edit it though, just in case.

Report how it works, and how much FUN you're having with your new webby friends!

I imagine them to be giant jumping spiders after you trained them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know what worldgen parameters to edit to reduce the total number of Z-levels. Having 150 just kinda sucks.

unicr0n posted:

You could try queuing it up through the manager instead of the workshop, that often lets you do jobs you should be able to do but are showing up as red for some reason.

Jackdaw Zero
Sep 2, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

I imagine them to be giant jumping spiders after you trained them.

If only dwarves had mounts...

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

You could try queuing it up through the manager instead of the workshop, that often lets you do jobs you should be able to do but are showing up as red for some reason.

So this works. I used the manager to queue up Brew drink from plant 5 times, noted that it was showing 3/5 in the manager.
Checked the still, sure enough he's there making drinks, but trying to add it manually shows the text all in red and won't let me add the job.

Strange, but at least I have a work around.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I hate so much how dwarves constantly cancel tasks or suspend furniture constructions, and never resume them. I check back in 30 minutes later to see how my bedrooms are coming along, only to found out I have to manually go through and un-suspend everything because a naked mole dog ran past a stockpile 20 min ago and caused 15 dwarves to cancel all their tasks.

Is this part of the "job prioritization" arc that Toady mentions is coming up? Dwarves will perform their drat tasks better?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

unicr0n posted:

So this works. I used the manager to queue up Brew drink from plant 5 times, noted that it was showing 3/5 in the manager.
Checked the still, sure enough he's there making drinks, but trying to add it manually shows the text all in red and won't let me add the job.

Strange, but at least I have a work around.

Is the still in a burrow? http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=434

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh and c DFHack s:

Expwnent posted:

There has been a very long delay since 0.40.01 was released, and most of that's my fault at this point. I probably could have gotten a release done sooner if I had been more on top of things. To everyone waiting, I am sorry.

I'm going away for a long weekend, but when I get back I intend to do a release of whatever we have at the time for the most recent version we can at the time. Nothing is 100% with real life stuff of course, but probably Tuesday, very probably on or before Wednesday.

Apparently, the development branch compiles. A bunch of the plugins are incompatible, but people have tried it and it works acceptably.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

You could be onto something here, I had a burrow assigned which did cover the still, but no active alarms to restrict citizens.
I deleted the burrow and was able to assign the task to the still. Re-created a burrow covering the area surrounding the still, checked the assign task menu and the option is red again.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Budget Dracula posted:

Can forest titans swim? I want to let my dwarves out of their fort but not if he can just float around in a lake shooting fireballs all over them.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Most megabeasts seem to be perfectly content wading through, swimming across, or floating over water, in my experience. It also depends on what they're made of and possibly other factors. I tried flooding Hell with water and while the ash fiends seemed slightly put off by it, the blizzard wraiths didn't give a gently caress and the inferno demons just turned all of the water into steam. All of it. I thought for sure it would extinguish them.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty sure at one point water that made it to hell just instantly evaporated, don't know if that's still the case.

e: was thinking of Terraria :downs:

It's got to do with DF 'physics'. Creatures made out of certain 'materials' like fire and ice require certain temperatures to survive; because Toady insists on doing 'realistic' temperature transfer that means an ice creature will be constantly melting or a fire creature constantly cooling down. Because of this the creature would, of course, die out in moments when thermodynamics does its thing. So Toady's piled on a hack that makes the creature constantly generate the 'required' temperature for its survival - which has the lovely side effect of making fire creatures essentially an infinite well of heat. If you dropped one at the bottom of the ocean, it WOULD evaporate all the water in there, given enough time.

It's basically related to the 'unkillable undead' bug we had some versions back, when Toady updated to the 'realistic' creature health system - a creature needs certain organs to survive, undead don't HAVE those organs so they can't live, Toady hacked them to work without those bits and ended up with undead creatures that were literally unkillable.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 8, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Drake_263 posted:

It's got to do with DF 'physics'. Creatures made out of certain 'materials' like fire and ice require certain temperatures to survive; because Toady insists on doing 'realistic' temperature transfer that means an ice creature will be constantly melting or a fire creature constantly cooling down. Because of this the creature would, of course, die out in moments when thermodynamics does its thing. So Toady's piled on a hack that makes the creature constantly generate the 'required' temperature for its survival - which has the lovely side effect of making fire creatures essentially an infinite well of heat. If you dropped one at the bottom of the ocean, it WOULD evaporate all the water in there, given enough time.

I think ocean water generates infinitely from the map edge. I once embarked by the sea within sight of an active volcano offshore, and the game immediately remembered, "oh, gravity exists" and had the water rush into it. In addition to lagging the gently caress out of everything and creating a ton of collapses, this created powerful currents that swept fish into the volcano. I stuck it out for quite a while out of curiosity, but the ocean's water level never diminished - it eventually sealed the volcano with obsidian and immediately replenished to 7/7 water on every tile.

e: Now I'm wondering if a freestanding stone overhang held up by ice pillars would collapse due to heat melting the supports when fire demons/megabeasts passed through. Might make an interesting emergency failsafe for hellmining.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 8, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want a fortress with a supply of paraplegic magma crabs to empty out cisterns and lakes with.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
This is the second fort where no migrants have come after 2 years (New wolrd gen). Could I just not be attracting them? The dwarf liason informed me that an evil army was wiping out entire towns but surely I couldnt have just started the game and then suddenly everyone is wiped out?

Also a hunter got terrified of a wombat, ran up a tree and fell out of it to his death within 5 minutes of starting. I'm trying to throw him off of a waterfall at the moment but dwarfs wont dump their fellows bodies.

Faithless fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 8, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Faithless posted:

This is the second fort where no migrants have come after 2 years (New wolrd gen). Could I just not be attracting them? The dwarf liason informed me that an evil army was wiping out entire towns but surely I couldnt have just started the game and then suddenly everyone is wiped out?

Also a hunter got terrified of a wombat, ran up a tree and fell out of it to his death within 5 minutes of starting. I'm trying to throw him off of a waterfall at the moment but dwarfs wont dump their fellows bodies.

Worlds in the new version can very easily have their civilizations wiped out, leading to no migrants, because when a siege occurs, the defenders always automatically lose. Next time, try generating a world with a shorter history; this makes it more likely that a genocide has not occurred.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Faithless posted:

Have you gotten any immigrants at all? At least the first two waves?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Faithless posted:

Do you have the token STRICT_POPULATION_CAP somewhere down your d_init.txt? If not, there's your problem.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Call me Ishmael Urist

Is there a way to hunt beasts from the sea? I was thinking crossbows/ballistas might allow me to do a good port town with real whaling action.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Call me Ishmael Urist

Is there a way to hunt beasts from the sea? I was thinking crossbows/ballistas might allow me to do a good port town with real whaling action.

I can't remember if ballista bolts drop down from their initial z-level, and even if you killed a whale its corpse would be out there in the ocean. Even if you trained swimming by repeatedly dunking dwarves into 4/7 water, I don't know if they'd path out to any waterbound corpses and drag them back.

What you need to do is be in a place where the ocean freezes during the winter and build some dams to create an area you can seal off while the sea creatures are in it, then pump the water out to air-drown whatever is in the trap.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

scamtank posted:

Do you have the token STRICT_POPULATION_CAP somewhere down your d_init.txt? If not, there's your problem.

Seems to come up often, maybe put it in the op?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Call me Ishmael Urist

Someone (laboriously) beat you to it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101795.0

New Masterwork version out, not updated to the new DF version yet but includes Humans as a playable race.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I was hoping the corpse might wash onto land naturally, rather than sink, and then could be laboriously dragged to a butchers by a dwarf. I imagine hauling a whale is about 100 times as slow as dragging a golden statue, which is already pretty drat slow.
Your method sounds good, very dwarfy and dangerous to those involved. challenge accepted.

edit: drat I just saw fargo's post. I reckon I can do it better than that, although wardogs fighting sharks is an excellent uh feature of the fort.

buckets of buckets fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 8, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Seems to come up often, maybe put it in the op?

Makes sense. Done.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

The Shortest Path posted:

Never Store your seeds for planting in barrels, the hauling cluster-gently caress it causes has been the downfall of many a fort, have a separate bags only see stockpile near your farms.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm trying to regenerate a world I like with a different history. I understand I have to use advanced world generation, but what do I actually DO? How do I find the seed that the world was originally generated from?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
I need some help with setting dwarf labors. Every time I start the game up I start looking at assigning labors for my dwarves, and then get paralyzed by having too many choices and quit. I'm just looking for a guide that makes sure I have essential jobs covered, and that the jobs actually get handled rather than guy who is supposed to be making beds running off to haul poo poo around. Basically, what should I do with my first 7 dwarves, and what other jobs should I be sure are covered as I get new dwarves/expand my fortress.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll keep going "these two guys can mine, this guy can cut wood, this guy can make things out of wood, and oh God I have no idea what these other jobs are and what I need to have covered. I quit."

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I'm trying to regenerate a world I like with a different history. I understand I have to use advanced world generation, but what do I actually DO? How do I find the seed that the world was originally generated from?

If you exported the world generation info after generating the world, ignore this step. Otherwise go to legends mode (you might need to copy your save and abandon any in-progress game) and hit 'p' to 'export map/gen info'. Next, go to the 'regionN-world_gen_param.txt' in the df main folder and copy/paste everything to the end of 'world_gen.txt' in data/init. Then go to the advanced world gen, select the last option on the list, hit 'e' for 'Enter advanced parameters', and change 'Use History Seed' from 'Yes' to 'Random'.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 9, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not My Leg posted:

I need some help with setting dwarf labors. Every time I start the game up I start looking at assigning labors for my dwarves, and then get paralyzed by having too many choices and quit. I'm just looking for a guide that makes sure I have essential jobs covered, and that the jobs actually get handled rather than guy who is supposed to be making beds running off to haul poo poo around. Basically, what should I do with my first 7 dwarves, and what other jobs should I be sure are covered as I get new dwarves/expand my fortress.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide has some decent advice in it about that stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PublicOpinion posted:

If you exported the world generation info after generating the world, ignore this step. Otherwise go to legends mode (you might need to copy your save and abandon any in-progress game) and hit 'p' to 'export map/gen info'. Next, go to the 'regionN-world_gen_param.txt' in the df main folder and copy/paste everything to the end of 'world_gen.txt' in data/init. Then go to the advanced world gen, select the last option on the list, hit 'e' for 'Enter advanced parameters', and change 'Use History Seed' from 'Yes' to 'Random'.

Perfect, thanks.

Someone a couple pages back was asking about a newby world to help get themselves started. This one has basically everything you need: clay, sand, trees, a river, shitloads of soil, iron and flux for steel, etc, and all in a relatively safe area. Pretty much the only thing it lacks is a volcano but those are hard to get where you want them and always involve a huge rear end mountain which causes its own problems. The zip has a picture showing you where to embark to get the good stuff.

If anybody uses this, let me know if it causes a problem. Because it's a regeneration of a world I already have, it MIGHT try to include slade colossuses, which you probably don't have. I've also included the worldgen seeds and whatnot in case it doesn't work. Just follow the instructions above and also replace the creature seed with a random one too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2063471/newby%20world.zip

*EDIT*
It was generated in 40.04, so if you do need to regenerate it, you'll probably have to use that version to do so. You can then copy the save over to 40.06 or whatever if you want to.

*EDIT2*

No, no you cannot copy worlds to new versions anymore. That sucks. Guess I'll wait until the weekly patches stop before bothering again.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 9, 2014