Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 20, 1927)

Peanuts (August 11, 1967)

Speaking of "brevity is the soul of wit," Funky Winkerbean has dragged out that nail story for three days, when it could've been burned off in a single Sunday strip. The only logical conclusion: Les Moore has no soul, and is utterly witless.

The assistant's expression says "How dare you make a friend."

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 8-9, 1925)

Cowboy haters: don't get your hopes up. We've got thirty years on the range to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Alice Wins!!

The Creeps!! Ooo

Poptropica women, amirite?!

and why not,
Heathcliff He is, he is.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

It doesn't get said much, probably because Zits slums it a lot, but Borgman is definitely one of the better draftspeople working on the comic page right now. His anatomy and body language always rate somewhere from solid to impressive, and that is a drat fine ferret. The character designs have suffered a bit from stylisation drift (christ I hate those weird rubbery lips), but for a TEENS strip that's been running daily for nearly 20 years it still looks pretty drat good.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Aw for gently caress's sake. This is just stupid now. :barf:

Why the gently caress do they have a dedicated "territory marking" bush? Is that a thing they're learning at the camp? What the hell?

Also making a child character eat something a bunch of people have been peeing on is just gross, on every level. The gently caress, Holbrook. Between this and the mentally unwell being referred to as "it" I think this is the most I've been disgusted with K&K in, well, ever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zits constantly has very good visual gags.

While we're at general praise, Heavenly Nostrils is outright daring in the syndicated strip world. Changing a character's appearance? What about recognizability? You might as well just take a strip and change its entire direction and established histo-

... you know what, nevermind. It genuinely is a nice touch and not many comics do it. I also like how Phoebe has a consistent selection of clothes.

And in Out Our Way, when that writer guy showed up the first time I sighed and thought, oh boy, let's get ready for a regular dose of how good honest country folk are just plain better than the city slickers, but a few months down the line now he actually fits in with them rather well in his own way, and while they do take the piss out of him in a rough-and-tumble way regularly, it never comes across as mean-spirited.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Intelligent Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2GMyQdw78

Big Nate

Slightly disappointed this didn't end with a banana peel slip, but there's nothing wrong with a solid WONK, I guess.

Francis

:D

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Pope Francis with the steel chair!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

It's a rusty nail, he puts it in his back pocket, then sits down and hel-lo, lockjaw cancer.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

My Lovely Horse posted:

While we're at general praise, Heavenly Nostrils is outright daring in the syndicated strip world. Changing a character's appearance? What about recognizability? You might as well just take a strip and change its entire direction and established histo-

... you know what, nevermind. It genuinely is a nice touch and not many comics do it. I also like how Phoebe has a consistent selection of clothes.
Speaking of Heavenly Nostrils, when I was in LA in June/July I hung out at a restaurant with a bunch of friends working in animation. The said establishment is down the street from Cartoon Network Studios, and the wall was littered with drawings from cartoonists working in animation.

Among those drawings, mixed in with the likes of Captain K'Nuckles, Mordecai, SpongeBob and Uncle Grandpa were Marigold and Phoebe by Dana Simpson. I was the only person who recognized those characters (although one of my friends remembered "Ozy and Millie" when I told them about it). This prompted me to ask Dana about it, and she said she was in CA visiting Disneyland and stopped by in Burbank to visit a friend working at CN.

Admittingly, I was kinda let down by the answer. I was hoping that Dana was in LA to negotiate a "Heavenly Nostrils" TV cartoon. Because c'mon, that'd be awesome.

There were several drawings she did on the wall, but here's one I took:

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 8, 2014

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Green Intern posted:

This comic somehow manages to get stranger with every arc.

You called it. Let Howard the Duck kick off your weird weekend.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

Welp, Friday delivers, I guess. I know nothing about Ferrets, but are they for the most part, pretty docile?

Ferrets are very social animals, and they will let you heap great indignities upon them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbX_WwudOc

If you take any animal and keep it in a dark cardboard box without toys or socialization, it will become an angry bundle of matted fur and teeth.

Seriously, just imagine if that happened to your Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Paul Gilligan really likes that Keep on Truckin' pose. I think somebody around here still has an av of the last time he used it.

Ballard Street

Muffin knows what's up.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 8, 2014

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

8/7 Heavenly Nostrils

I've been wearing a mustache and goat for years, and I'm tempted to shave them off just to get that reaction.

This reminds me of the day when my mother got a completely different hairstyle before picking me up from school.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears knows what the essence of comedy is.

The Dinette Set knows the value of memories.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ham Shears knows what the essence of comedy is.

Man, that middle panel. It's like the cartoonist works for Cartoon Net-...

Oh, wait...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

Man, that middle panel. It's like the cartoonist works for Cartoon Net-...

Oh, wait...

Well, I'll be damned.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kismet posted:

It doesn't get said much, probably because Zits slums it a lot, but Borgman is definitely one of the better draftspeople working on the comic page right now. His anatomy and body language always rate somewhere from solid to impressive, and that is a drat fine ferret. The character designs have suffered a bit from stylisation drift (christ I hate those weird rubbery lips), but for a TEENS strip that's been running daily for nearly 20 years it still looks pretty drat good.
The problem with Zits is that it's so consistently mediocre. It's neither bad nor good enough to be mentioned in this thread, it's just solidly OK all the time.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If we're talking daring, it's also setting itself up for failure with the obvious comparison to Calvin and Hobbes, the female protagonist(s) and the fact that the parents are recognisably younger than baby boomers. That's basically why it's one of the better syndicated strips right now, but good doesn't mean successful.

Mister Beeg posted:

I was hoping that Dana was in LA to negotiate a "Heavenly Nostrils" TV cartoon. Because c'mon, that'd be awesome.
I agree in principle. But on the other hand, I wouldn't watch it and I don't know anyone who would, so it's hard for me to care.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Tiggum posted:

I agree in principle. But on the other hand, I wouldn't watch it and I don't know anyone who would.

I'd watch the hell out of it :)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

At the marketplace:
[FINDINGS] [Cheap!]
- What's this?
- I dunno. I found it in a ditch

I want to believe the literal "findings" works in English, but "bargains" is what I'd actually translate it as.

Fok_It

There's a little joke lost in the translation with the last sentence. "...hikipäissäni. Ja päissäni." I translated as "...clammy with sweat. While drunk.", but you might notice päissäni is used twice. Very literally, the phrase is "...in my sweat heads. And in my heads". "In my X heads" means more or less that you're in some manner overwhelmed by X: "in my mushroom heads" would mean tripping on shrooms etc. If there's no X, it's implied the X is hops, referring to drunkenness.

I suppose it's similar to "in my cups", just more versatile. :v:

tiistai fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 8, 2014

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Mister Beeg posted:

I'd watch the hell out of it :)

Only if H. Jon Benjamin is the voice of Marigold.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That is a sinister-looking baby swan.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Simian_Prime posted:

Only if H. Jon Benjamin is the voice of Marigold.

Then Aisha Tyler would have to be the voice of Phoebe.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Then Aisha Tyler would have to be the voice of Phoebe.

No, it has to be Kristen Shaal. In fact, get the entire cast of "Bob's Burgers" on "Heavenly Nostrils: The Series"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Even when well-socialized, ferrets have a strong need to chew. This can include fingers.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Roland Jones posted:

That is a sinister-looking baby swan.

Which is good because this is the reality of that encounter;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyGgO4HWcic

Except without the glass to protect the cat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

Welp, Friday delivers, I guess. I know nothing about Ferrets, but are they for the most part, pretty docile?

No, they're hideous, violent monsters!

Kismet posted:

Have the early strips ever been posted here? I haven't read them in a while but I remember them feeling pleasantly idiosyncratic and even looser/more-fun-looking than these (also very 90s).

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mister Beeg posted:

There were several drawings she did on the wall, but here's one I took:

Did you happen to get a wider shot with all of the A. Clark/Nedroid drawing below it?

Buz Sawyer doesn't know about Beartato.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

My! What a long loincloth you have, Val. :dong:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Lickety-whop is such a great sound effect.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

:siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren:

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Oh, Brother

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

If they'd led off with this, maybe they wouldn't be getting cancelled. I'm honestly interested, which sucks since I know it's a dead man walking.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 10, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (February 1-3, 1951)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Allen Wren posted:

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Now this is a great moment in rock and roll, not "my friends and I got so high and drove home from the Metallica show".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

I am a small child.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Comic Strip Megathread XV: What a struggle

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Byzantine posted:

If they'd led off with this, maybe they wouldn't be getting cancelled. I'm honestly interested, which sucks since I know it's a dead man walking.

Right; I don't know if I'd call this current story good, but at the very least it's not a completely incoherent clusterfuck like the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

At the marketplace:
[FINDINGS] [Cheap!]
- What's this?
- I dunno. I found it in a ditch

I want to believe the literal "findings" works in English, but "bargains" is what I'd actually translate it as.

It does if you're into handicrafts. "Findings" are small items used to make jewelry and whatnot, like clasps for necklaces or hooks for earrings.

• Locked thread