Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Also this is a (granted extreme) example of why ever being upside down on your car loan is being bad with money. Someone asked about that a couple pages back.

It would literally cost this guy cash he doesn't have to rid himself of either car because he's upside down on both of them. He's between a rock and a hard place because he can't afford to sell it and pay off the difference on the loan, and he can't afford to keep making payments on it. At least if he weren't upside down he could sell it for near-zero gain/loss and get rid of the payment burden.

This guy is a classic case of thinking in terms of monthly payments, and not total cost of things. Yeah sure, he could "afford" the payments on his cushy 160k contract but he didn't actually have $40,000 (x2) to buy two brand new cars with. Once the income stream dried up all of a sudden he's super hosed.

It's one thing (and often prudent) to take out a low interest (another gently caress up of his, 19% APR loving LOL) loan for a large purchase like a car, assuming you actually have money in the bank to cover it in a worst case scenario like this. If being able to continue to make payments depends entirely on a continued income stream then you cannot afford it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I had a mental hang-up about spending my savings on a car I needed, so I had payments. I understand that this is more a mental thing they any money thing, but it's hard to shake for me personally.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How do people buy 2 $40k cars in 6 months? Not mentally, because cars are cool and having a expensive car is even cooler. I mean how do you get approved for those loans with 12k of debt, no savings, no assets and a single income source?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Door Frame posted:

How do people buy 2 $40k cars in 6 months? Not mentally, because cars are cool and having a expensive car is even cooler. I mean how do you get approved for those loans with 12k of debt, no savings, no assets and a single income source?

19% APR.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's easy to get car loans with poo poo credit if you don't mind getting reamed by a 19% APR. If you make payments the financier gets paid LOL-amounts of interest, and if you don't pay they just repo your car and sell it again.

Folly
May 26, 2010

:stare:

I don't think this is funny anymore, guys.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Unless you're actually low income poverty level it's pretty inexcusable to not have six months of living expenses in savings.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
19% sounds like a 2 year car loan for a more "responsible" lender, but if my math is correct, it's about 6 years if he's paying $920 a month on a $40,000 loan and almost 8 years on the other loan. I guess he can use that last 8 grand to file for bankruptcy

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Maybe he should have leased the car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

19% sounds like a 2 year car loan for a more "responsible" lender

19% is a horrendously lovely rate no matter the term. Even a 2-yr note should be less than 5% on a new car with even halfway decent credit.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Guinness posted:

19% is a horrendously lovely rate no matter the term. Even a 2-yr note should be less than 5% on a new car with even halfway decent credit.

drat you're right, the highest I could find was 5.5%
How is that even legal?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The highest I was offered when I shopped for cars two years ago was 6%, I actually walked out of the dealership because gently caress that noise, the guys across the street had >2%. Ended up getting something like 1.9%, which isn't awesome, but heh. Coulda gotten 0% if I'd paid over two years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
19% APR is terrible. It's only not terrible if you're in the late 1970s with a 2 year loan and your savings account is earning 13% interest.

Plus, where does he live with $1700 rent that also requires two cars? That's the kind of rent you'd see in a big city with public transportation, unless those two are renting a five bedroom house in Dallas or something.

And I like one of those comments. "What are you driving? You can lease three Jaguars for $1500/mo"

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bugamol posted:

I feel like people clinging to their car debt is a constantly reoccurring theme in these types of stories. WE HAD TO BUY A $40,000 CAR YOU DON'T GET IT. I DON'T WORK ON CARS. In this case it sounds like 2 $40,000 cars.

The problem is that they aren't just clinging to their car debt, their car debt is clinging to them. Getting out of an upside down car loan requires cash that broke people don't have...

As far as cost, I'm betting the 19% APR car was "only" $25k new.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Guinness posted:

All ya'll with hundreds of hours of banked vacation/sick time need to take some time off. Working that much with no break ain't good for you. Seriously, take 2+ weeks and do something fun and totally disconnect. It's good for your body, mind, and soul.

We can't use sick for that.

I am sitting on over 100 hours of vacation, but actually using has always been an issue for me.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
code:
My Employee Reports
Paid Time Off: -359.500 hrs (06/2014)
lol. But I work in Neverland. Don't try this at home.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Zhentar posted:

The problem is that they aren't just clinging to their car debt, their car debt is clinging to them. Getting out of an upside down car loan requires cash that broke people don't have...

The logic behind not being able to get out of a lovely car loan is sound and I don't disagree. What usually seems to follow this trend is that people perceive that when they "need a car" they "have" to buy something for $20,000-$30,000. Even if you want a new car there are plenty of great options in the $15,000-$20,000 range. When we bought our car the credit union we go through offered 9.5% interest and we just said no thanks. Ended up getting .9% through the dealer. At the time I didn't even have great credit (mid 600's).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rick Rickshaw posted:

fake edit: Also, yes....where do you live/work where you get paid out for sick time?

New York. It's a company thing, not a state thing.

CitizenKain posted:

Any long term illness I would go on short term disability if I'm going to be gone for 2 or more weeks. They'd drain the sick time until then however.

Except if I go on short term disability, I only get 60% of my pay.

I wish my time would accumulate endlessly. My father's did, when he had to have minor surgery he had just short of a year's worth of sick days saved up (over 30 years in the company), so he took three months off to recover for the hell of it. I'd rather keep some sick time in the bank as a just in case fund, and I don't really get much to start with. Only my vacation rolls over, and even then I can only roll over 150%.

I rarely get sick, so as the end of the year approaches my sick time becomes my "I don't feel like working today" time because my time away from work is worth more to me than the money.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Zhentar posted:

Oh drat. That's probably right.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bugamol posted:

What usually seems to follow this trend is that people perceive that when they "need a car" they "have" to buy something for $20,000-$30,000.

Can't argue that. "Oh, I gave away my car. Better buy a brand new $25k car, why not with rates as low as 19%!" :psyboom: (Also, he mentions that was two years ago... so there wasn't even the $4k/week job to make that seem like a good idea. Nor did he try to get out of it or pay ahead at all once he was making that much...)

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

The Door Frame posted:

How is that even legal?

I would say they were about dead on when assessing his risk profile.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Door Frame posted:

How is that even legal?
Well, the idea is that people will see that rate, go "lol no" and turn around and walk out the door, not unlike what would happen if you were trying to sell bananas for $20 a pop.

But people are weird about cars.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
There was a previous reddit thread that got posted where someone commented that they "felt bad for the car salesman because they spent all day showing them cars" and that's why they took an 18% loan. Good car salesman are good at what they do. Talk to you about monthly payments and not about purchase price or even what the car is worth. Get you to focus on $600 a month for this great car! And not a $25,000 loan at 19%. Also most people have a pretty horrid understanding of personal finances.

One of my buddies went to buy a new car and had 7 hard inquiries on their account before they "found" a bank that would accept them, and they were talking as if the car salesman did them a favor.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Vacation/Sick leave chat:

I was a teacher for a few years. In Texas, you get five days of vacation per year from the state as part of teacher's compensation. This time accumulates if not used and follows you if you change school districts. It is only paid out at retirement, and even then it's at a fraction of a daily rate. $75/day or something, but if you've banked enough it's a nice little bonus at the end. Although teachers get lots of vacation days for school holidays, it can actually be pretty tough to take a regular old vacation day from your bank; generally healthy people can leave with a good stash.

Most districts give you an additional five days per year (for the traditional total of 10 days per year total). District policies vary on whether the days accumulate and whether you can cash them out.

A coworker's husband began the retirement process from Houston ISD. He had accumulated some hilariously large amount of banked "District" days - 160 or more. HISD doesn't pay out those days. He went up the chain in HR/compensation about this, asking why they wouldn't pay even a fraction of the days. Nothing. No way, no how.

So he just told them that he'd continue to work for the next year, but that he'd take vacation every day.

"You'd be greatly impacting a classroom full of students!"
"I agree. It's probably easier to just pay me a fraction of the value now rather than the full value plus the cost of a substitute."
"District policy is that you can't have more than six days simultaneously without superintendent approval."
"Cool, I'll come in every seventh day, so I guess I'll be doing this for a year and change. Looks like we're still going to have the problem with paying me and a substitute."

The contract allowed the district to assign him to any responsibility in the school. They made him a janitor - at the highest pay rate in the entire district - for a year and a half. He showed up every seventh day, screwed around doing the bare minimum, then took another six off. He left a year and a half after he had intended to retire with another $100K or so gross instead of $12K to $15K for the payout.

On the macro scale, of course, it makes sense. Paying one guy $100K beats paying every district employee $6K at retirement. Still, it was absolutely hilarious to hear him tell the story of how they finally arrived at this "solution."

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
That warms my heart to hear. Tell your coworker's husband that J. Random Internet Guy wants to give him a high-five. :3:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bugamol posted:

One of my buddies went to buy a new car and had 7 hard inquiries on their account before they "found" a bank that would accept them, and they were talking as if the car salesman did them a favor.

When I worked at a finance office for vehicle leasing, we had one really aggressive boiler room dealership that would just blunt force their way through every problem. One time, the website they submitted credit applications through had a glitch and even though we did a successful credit pull for the customer it wouldn't show up on their end for some reason.

So they call us and they're freaked out, thinking they're going to lose a sale. I follow up with tech and it turns out they sat there and submitted a hard credit pull 27 times before they called me. By typing in their information each time. So I let the dealership know tech is working on it and that they need to stop pulling their credit by resubmitting the application repeatedly. Five minutes go by, I'm on the phone with our tech people again, and they've pulled it an additional 5 times and are continuing to pull it as I'm on the phone. I had to call them and say if they pulled the customer's credit one more time I was going to flat out kill the deal before they stopped, not like the customer with the mid 400 credit score would notice.

I think it was mentioned way earlier in this thread, but never give your ID or anything like that to a car salesperson. They will, without your permission, run your credit against their best lenders, then run it down to the poo poo tier companies (like the one I worked at) until they can give you the great news that you're approved.

And they will try to make that sale no matter how bad your credit is. I have had ridiculous arguments with salespeople about why nobody in their right mind would lend to their customer. The worst one I can remember was a two hour series of phone calls about a couple with a 90% pre-tax debt to income ratio with their monthly payment, a series of repossessions on their credit line, and state liens against both of them.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

moana posted:

The last few posts have me thinking that this is actually good, not bad, what do I do now?

Find a young one with potential. Invest.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

HonorableTB posted:

And I thought my $308/month car payment was as bad as it could get :stare:

I thought my payments on two cars 274/350 was bad. Then I remembered I got both at 0% APR.

lostleaf posted:

If you're financing at 0%, you're almost definitely financing directly from the manufacturer. The dealer isn't losing any money from this.

I financed both through Ford Motor Credit.

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 11, 2014

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

DEMAG posted:

I thought my payments on two cars 274/350 was bad. Then I remembered I got both at 0% APR.

So did I. And my 19 year old self was delusional to think they didn't build the cost of financing into the price of the car. No one hands out money for free, even if you're paying them back.

Surely to god if you walked in with cash you'd pay a few grand less than if you finance @ 0 APR.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Rick Rickshaw posted:

So did I. And my 19 year old self was delusional to think they didn't build the cost of financing into the price of the car. No one hands out money for free, even if you're paying them back.

Surely to god if you walked in with cash you'd pay a few grand less than if you finance @ 0 APR.

If you're financing at 0%, you're almost definitely financing directly from the manufacturer. The dealer isn't losing any money from this.

Always always always negotiate the total price of the car before you agree to financing. Otherwise, the dealers will play games to decrease your monthly cost while actually raising the total price of your car.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

lostleaf posted:

Always always always negotiate the total price of the car before you agree to financing. Otherwise, the dealers will play games to decrease your monthly cost while actually raising the total price of your car.

My loan holder was Scotiabank. Is that the right term? "Loan holder"? Issuer?

Anyway, it was through a bank. I just figure the dealer builds the cost of the financing into the price of the car, a fact I was oblivious to at the time, and then they pay Scotiabank for taking the "0%" loan.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
There is something called "dealer reserve" where the dealer will pay an upfront cost (basicaly points) to reduce the interest rate from an institution to offer you a lower rate. This is why some will offer financing OR cash back...it works out about the same.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

When I bought my Toyota, they offered a 3k discount for cash purchases, if I recall correctly.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Buying a car with outside financing is the same as cash to the dealer. You basically write them a check backed by your lender for the purchase amount.

Using the dealer financing they might give you a better deal on the purchase price because they get kickbacks from the loan origination.

Everything is negotiable, but always negotiate on final purchase price before talking payment plans. And never negotiate on monthly payments.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

RommelMcDonald posted:

I think it was mentioned way earlier in this thread, but never give your ID or anything like that to a car salesperson. They will, without your permission, run your credit against their best lenders, then run it down to the poo poo tier companies (like the one I worked at) until they can give you the great news that you're approved.

I'm bad with IDs. :smith:

Happened at one dealership. Another dealership asked for my credit card, to show that I was serious. I told him if sitting here talking about a car price isn't serious, I'll leave right now. So he offered me a Yaris with 140,000km for $13,800 and that's the lowest price he could offer me. I left.

Private sale is so much easier. Just takes awhile to find someone who gives you trustworthy vibes.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Harry posted:

I would say they were about dead on when assessing his risk profile.

I can't really disagree

reflex posted:

Private sale is so much easier. Just takes awhile to find someone who gives you trustworthy vibes.

How can you not trust that a 1995 honda civic is is perfect condition, serious offers only? I love trawling Craigslist for cheap cars, but half of them don't even know enough to hide the blocks that keep their amazing condition car from rolling down the driveway

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

RommelMcDonald posted:

never give your ID or anything like that to a car salesperson. They will, without your permission, run your credit

How do you do test drives then? They always seem to want a copy of my DL. When I was car shopping about two years ago, I did a free trial on one of those credit monitoring companies to watch out for any hard pulls. I drove a shitload of cars and got no pulls. I don't see why a huge dealership would open themselves up to the liability. Or is that more applicable to those buy here pay here lots?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

The Door Frame posted:

How can you not trust that a 1995 honda civic is is perfect condition, serious offers only? I love trawling Craigslist for cheap cars, but half of them don't even know enough to hide the blocks that keep their amazing condition car from rolling down the driveway

Cars were made between 1995 and this year. Some of them can be a really good value. :ssh:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, buy-here-pay-here or small used vehicle dealerships.

I used to get, "The dealer told me to sign a blank piece of paper" enough to believe it. I know for a fact one dealership was forging contract signatures so that the customer could just fax/scan everything they needed and then pick up the vehicle without spending any time at the dealership mulling it over. It was ridiculous how many of his clients admitted, during the verification call to review the terms, they had never signed a contract, only to call me back 10 minutes later and say, "Oh yeah, that thing, I totally did sign it, I was just signing so much stuff I forgot man!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
This dealership talk feels insanely predatory. I'm currently an intern at a car dealership, in Poland. The prices are very clearly marked. No one ever talks in monthly payment terms, it's all full price. When a client asks, they get told the full price.

On the other hand, cars in America are incredibly cheap. If I were to buy a new car in America for 40k with a 10% APR three year note, I would still probably come out way ahead. I'll take free and decent healthcare over it any day, but man, as a car enthusiast, looking at American prices makes me burn with envy.

• Locked thread