Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How do so many people make this mistake, it pops up on the screen when you enter the area. It's New/Anor Londo.

Yes, I realize I'm talking to an image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Meh, I've used cheatengine in Ds1 and Ds2 to give myself fashionsouls junk and I don't really feel bad for it tbh; It's not even super rare grindy stuff anyway. If you want to cheat just google, it's not hard to find.

The Ds2 thread is loving annoying. I just wanna talk gameplay and fashionsouls, limited datamining and speculation is fun but unmarked spoilers and hacking in new movesets and poo poo isn't.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Thanks for the hints, michaellaneous.

Manatee Cannon posted:

How do so many people make this mistake, it pops up on the screen when you enter the area. It's New/Anor Londo.

Yes, I realize I'm talking to an image.

The ancient city of Or Lando.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Zedd posted:

The Ds2 thread is loving annoying. I just wanna talk gameplay and fashionsouls, limited datamining and speculation is fun but unmarked spoilers and hacking in new movesets and poo poo isn't.

There's really no difference, in regards to datamining and hacking in new movesets and stuff. Kind of one and the same in certain cases.

Not sure what you mean by spoilers though.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

There's really no difference, in regards to datamining and hacking in new movesets and stuff. Kind of one and the same in certain cases.

How did you avatar became even worse than it already was.
How?

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 6, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Anor Lando Calrissian

e: also man if you try to keep unspoiled then reading a thread on a internet forum dedicated to the subject in the upcoming days is like the dumbest thing, stop blaming anyone but yourself and actually stay clear. It's like typing the teams of a sport match you missed into google every day and then being shocked that the result shows up on screen.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 6, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What the hell are Crag Dwellings? :psyduck:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Possibly some dwellings that are within some crags.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know why I keep getting lost, I was told DS is much more linear than DS2 but I'm having a far harder time trying to not venture into places that kill me. Beat a Spider lady after forever in Blight Town (worst place because of the FPS), rang a bell, then met infinite Capra Demons into a giant fog door I can't access.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tae posted:

I don't know why I keep getting lost, I was told DS is much more linear than DS2 but I'm having a far harder time trying to not venture into places that kill me. Beat a Spider lady after forever in Blight Town (worst place because of the FPS), rang a bell, then met infinite Capra Demons into a giant fog door I can't access.

Dark Souls is linear and at the same time not. The whole world of DS is made out of multiple circles, you will not find a decisive dead end. Maybe one or two, but one always leads to another.

I assume you rang the bell after the spiderlady. Was that your second bell? If yes, go back and look around places you already have been. Maybe doors are open now.

e: That's not a hardcore spoiler.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tallgeese posted:

That's obvious? People posting area/name/boss details like 2 hours after DLC release without spoilertags?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Tae posted:

I was told DS is much more linear than DS2

People who say this are dumb, basically talking from 20/20 hindsight. Dark Souls 1 is a big maze with a clear route through it for those who already know the game, Dark Souls 2 is four linear paths followed by a fifth.

Assuming you didn't somehow miss the first bell, you've now rang both. You should have seen a brief cutscene of the gate opening at that building where the onion armor dude was chilling out - not far from the Undead Parish blacksmith. Check in at Firelink Shrine, then head there.

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can think of Dark Souls as a kind of 3D Castlevania Dracula's castle. Demon's Souls is laid out more like a Mega Man game and Dark Souls 2 is a mess. Great game but the world is really oddly put together, the first half of the game is a bunch of meandering paths that link up at the second half, which is a straight line. I guess what I'm saying is that DkS2 is an octopus.

People were using spoiler tags for days in the DkS2 thread, even for generic enemy descriptions. At least they were in the PC thread, dunno about the console one.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can think of Dark Souls as a kind of 3D Castlevania Dracula's castle. Demon's Souls is laid out more like a Mega Man game and Dark Souls 2 is a mess. Great game but the world is really oddly put together, the first half of the game is a bunch of meandering paths that link up at the second half, which is a straight line. I guess what I'm saying is that DkS2 is an octopus.

People were using spoiler tags for days in the DkS2 thread, even for generic enemy descriptions. At least they were in the PC thread, dunno about the console one.

Yeah, I played at console release and they were pretty good about spoiler tags for a while. The first time I moused over a spoiler tag it had some guy talking about how the ladder guy and the singing ladies DEFINITELY EXPLICITLY say that the plot is directly linked to that of Demon's Souls and I felt horribly spoiled for a long time until I beat the game and it turned out he was talking out of his rear end

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
What are coop level ranges like in NG+? I've got a character in Anor Londo at 80, but I haven't leveled up since beating the game (is my magic character, I stopped there for no real reason). I wouldn't mind cooping some O&S, and DLC bosses in NG+.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Flumpus posted:

What are coop level ranges like in NG+? I've got a character in Anor Londo at 80, but I haven't leveled up since beating the game (is my magic character, I stopped there for no real reason). I wouldn't mind cooping some O&S, and DLC bosses in NG+.
Last time I've played it's still 120 that's fine.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

DS1's beginning section is fairly "linear" in that there's a route that is accepted as the way to progress. The problem is that both the cut-scene when ringing the bell and the appearance of the zone with all the lava is supposed to signal to the player "this is NOT progress yet! You are NOT ready!" and expects them to turn around and maybe go back to Andre and the onion knight that was stuck outside a gate.

The game doesn't expect you to miss these clues. It's a linear progression to this point of sorts, but if you got into blighttown, you already hit a dead end earlier and should have been made wary to doubling back.

Sen's fortress is the last fortress before the mid-game and the area after is the last that is linear.

The rest of the game is open to anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The game actually cuts to the way into Sen's Fortress opening once you ring the second bell and only an insane masochist would go through Blighttown first on their first playthrough (I'm sure these people exist but they are crazy). Generally speaking the true way forward is a lot easier and the later areas you have access to early are soft gated by enemies you shouldn't be fighting at low level (the giant skeletons in front of the Catacombs, the club guys blocking Blighttown, the titanite demon in front of Darkroot Forest, the Capra/Tauros Demons in the Demon Ruins, the ghosts in New Londo). You're supposed to see those, realize you've gone the wrong way, and either turn back or bash your head against the wall until something breaks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're supposed to see those, realize you've gone the wrong way, and either turn back or bash your head against the wall until something breaks.

They underestimated the persistence and thickness of my skull :kheldragar:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are offensive sorceries (soul arrow and its crystal variant, soul spear) useful at all for pvp? It seems pvp its far too easy to figure out when to dodge and its the caster who is left at a disadvantage... What am I doing wrong?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

double nine posted:

Are offensive sorceries (soul arrow and its crystal variant, soul spear) useful at all for pvp? It seems pvp its far too easy to figure out when to dodge and its the caster who is left at a disadvantage... What am I doing wrong?
The homing spells (HSM, CHSM, and Pursuers) are better, as is a point-blank Dark Bead, but they still require you to work around dodges and do other things like lock-on games to mess with the homing trigger. Crystal Soul Spear can be useful if you get the drop on someone, or can time it to hit when they aren't invincible.

The Soul Arrow line can get a lot more useful if you have a partner with you so the opponent has to focus on things besides dodging you.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

double nine posted:

Simple answer is no. A simple roll in an direction - and with a good timing towards you - results in you missing.

Even the homings can be avoided by rolling away from them, so...eeeeh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I just got to Anor Londo, what level should my gear be at? I think my highest is +6 Halberd but my +5 Lightning Spear is doing more damage thus far.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lightning weapons have no scaling in Dark Souls 1. Normal weapons won't compare until your stats are relatively high. You're at about where you should be since you need chunks at around +7 or so and Anor Londo is the only place that you can buy them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

Lightning weapons have no scaling in Dark Souls 1. Normal weapons won't compare until your stats are relatively high. You're at about where you should be since you need chunks at around +7 or so and Anor Londo is the only place that you can buy them.

Wait, they patched in being able to buy CHUNKS since I beat it this June? Or did you mean to say it's one of the the few place you can beat it out of the corpses of your enemies (the two fancier giant knights).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sorry, I was thinking of twinkling titanite. It is one of the few places you can grind for them though, yeah.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sorry, I was thinking of twinkling titanite. It is one of the few places you can grind for them though, yeah.

Do they have a better drop rate than the Darkwraiths? Because I grinded those skeletor looking assholes for 2 hours once and only got a single chunk.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Flytrap posted:

Do they have a better drop rate than the Darkwraiths? Because I grinded those skeletor looking assholes for 2 hours once and only got a single chunk.

Using the covetous gold ring and ~10 liquid humanity? With that setup chunks are actually pretty common to get from darkwraiths.
Slabs are an entirely different story.

Grinding chunks from the anor londo giants is just an exercise in futility, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have no idea what the drop rates on things are, but I can tell you that they are way easier to get to than the Darkwraiths. Once you kill O&S you can just sit at the bonfire, kill the two in the room before the boss arena, then Homeward back to the bonfire and do it again. Nothing between you and them but the drop. Also always remember to have ten liquid humanity on hand and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring equipped when farming dumb bullshit. Technically the best place to grind titanite chunks is the Black Knights in the Kiln, since they all drop a type of chunk every time they die and respawn infinitely but that's a case of too little, too late.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Flytrap posted:

I think the giants actually have a better drop rate than the Darkwraiths but you can kill like 10 or 12 Darkwraiths vs 2 giants, and the Darkwraiths will sometimes drop multiple chunks or slabs. With max item find I usually get 2-3 a run.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For regular upgrades:

+1 to +5 takes titanite shards, which are readily available (both as drops and purchased) by the time you can upgrade at all.
+6 to +10 takes large titanite shards, which are obnoxious drops in Depths, easy drops in Blighttown, and buyable in Sen's or Anor Londo.
+11 to +14 takes titanite chunks, which largely come from one-off sources, but can be farmed in New Londo or the very endgame. Never buyable.
+15 takes a titanite slab, for which there are a few one-off freebies but otherwise you're going for super rare drops, NG+, or Cheat Engine.
- For the most part, +14 is perfectly fine.

In Dark Souls 2, it's +1 to +3, +4 to +6, +7 to +9, and +10 respectively, which might explain where Manatee Cannon's chunks at +7 came from.

For Anor Londo, +10 is good, +8 to +9 is all right, lower than that you should probably grab some large shards (either from the merchant at the top of Sen's or the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo) and finish pushing to +10.

For most special weapons you ignore all the above and use twinkling titanite, which comes from every goddamn crystal lizard in the game, and is buyable from the giant blacksmith as well. Dragon-related weapons use dragon scales instead, and weapons from boss souls use demon titanite instead. (Plus you generally have to get a normal weapon up to +10 to convert it to a boss weapon in the first place.) In all three of those special cases you max out at +5, which is functionally equivalent to +15 in a normal upgrade path.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dark Wraiths are admittedly better for chunks farming. I just saved New Londo for one of the last things I did (the ghosts scared me :ohdear:... OH! Right, +15 normal weapons ember is in here :doh:). So the fact there are MORE darkwraiths, on top of them being less annoying to kill than huge shield blocks everything mcfuckyou even when I could two shot them, made the difference. I also could afford all the homeward bones I'd ever want at that point which helped.

I also got lucky with all of one slab drop, which I used on my old longsword :3:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh loving Anor Londo is some boring poo poo. Sen's Fortress mostly sucked too. Is the game mostly like this on out? Or is it going to get interesting again? I'd rather do Blighttown again than these gargoyle things and this stairway with the 2 archers. Please tell me these fuckers don't respawn.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The quality of the game is generally accepted to go a bit downhill around the end of Anor Londo. However, you're very near the game's best - and iconic - boss fight, so keep pushing on.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Once you finish Anor Londo you can also hit up the DLC, which is great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh loving Anor Londo is some boring poo poo. Sen's Fortress mostly sucked too. Is the game mostly like this on out? Or is it going to get interesting again? I'd rather do Blighttown again than these gargoyle things and this stairway with the 2 archers. Please tell me these fuckers don't respawn.

They do but there's a bonfire right after them so you never have to fight them again. It's maybe the single nastiest encounter in the whole game.

Also if you go right when you get the top, you'll only have to fight that one and can ignore the one on the left. The only thing you get for killing the left archer is a soul item (not worth it).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

poptart_fairy posted:

The quality of the game is generally accepted to go a bit downhill around the end of Anor Londo. However, you're very near the game's best - and iconic - boss fight, so keep pushing on.

Wait, for real? Am I almost done? That would suck, how much more of the game is left?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

They do but there's a bonfire right after them so you never have to fight them again. It's maybe the single nastiest encounter in the whole game.

Also if you go right when you get the top, you'll only have to fight that one and can ignore the one on the left. The only thing you get for killing the left archer is a soul item (not worth it).

Can you give me any tips for dealing with this guy? Rolling doesn't seem to help, and my shield doesn't help much.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Wait, for real? Am I almost done? That would suck, how much more of the game is left?

4 major dickheads plus the final boss.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Can you give me any tips for dealing with this guy? Rolling doesn't seem to help, and my shield doesn't help much.

About 4/5 more dungeons, not counting DLC. Thing is, the second half of the game is where you can tell they were running into time and budget issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How can you dislike the two best areas in the game.

• Locked thread