Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All stats are worthless, all gear is poo poo; git gud or :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Deprived only runs you scrubs. :colbert:

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nothing can oneshot you at 20 Vigor either and you aren't wasting an additional 30 levels on health. You should not need that much health.

Need, no. Want? Hell yes. It's a big quality of life boost and more useful than a bit of extra damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I cannot imagine a situation where you'd need that much health in NG or NG+. It's also not just about damage, it's about weapon requirements, vitality for heavier equipment, more endurance for stamina, any number of things you could do rather than just blob up with excess vigor.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You can only git gud so much when lagstabbing and phantom range are in the mix 99% of the time.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

vitality for heavier equipment, more endurance for stamina

But heavy armour doesn't matter if you don't have the health to back it up and past 20 you only get one stamina per point of endurance, if you're talking about wasting levels for next to no benefit that's one right there. Vigor has a pretty steady return from 1 up to 50, diminishing returns affect it less than other stats.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shindragon posted:

Deprived only runs you scrubs. :colbert:

I'm lazy so I just pick the class closest to what I want my run to be anyway. I also take the collection of items gift for the extra lockstone so I can be even lazier and get to Belfry Luna earlier.

I have never given any character more than 100 endurance through stats. The rest comes from dragon rings. It just takes too much of an investment to make a difference unless you're going super deep into it, and most of the time you don't need to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't know if you knew this, but weapons have weight as well. :ssh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Once you've actually said "you don't need health and defense if you just never get hit :smug:" you might as well just forget all stats and weapons in general because they don't matter if you assume you'll never die anyway. It's an incredibly silly thing to say.

I tend to level other stats before vigor because using a different weapon or spell is more interesting than just having a longer red bar, but I always get it to 20 eventually. I very regularly beat bosses and players having been dropped to less than 25% health at some point during the fight. Without that "useless" 25% more health I'd be dead, and a few more fireballs or lightning spears isn't going to change that. I'm absolutely capable of beating the game without a huge pile of HP but it gets boring pretty fast to play the whole game with every character as a nonstop Monster Hunter iframefest (except where you die in 1 hit should you ever bork it up).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Genocyber posted:

That seems odd. I've been doing all that poo poo and nothing's happened to me. Also I wouldn't trust Bamco to know anything about this kinda stuff given their past record (i.e. being completely wrong about SM). You sure it's not just the thing that happens when you d/c too many times while online?

This is correct.

There is something else causing the problem, and Bandai Namco support doesn't know squat. I mean really, they can't even tell you if it's a true ban or a Bone of Order ban.

Think about it. If there was some sort of silent soft ban wouldn't I of all people been hit by something already? The only thing I've ever been hit with is a temporary Bone of Order restriction for trying to figure out a way to get around the very nefarious network parameter overwriting hack that can screw up people's bonfires.

I'm inclined to think, from the reports I've seen, that either there's confirmation bias or there's some kind of error afoot. People were freaking out about softbans when Steam's servers were screwing up.

Either way, it can supposedly be fixed by using Steam's family sharing. No, seriously.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 8, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm lazy so I just pick the class closest to what I want my run to be anyway. I also take the collection of items gift for the extra lockstone so I can be even lazier and get to Belfry Luna earlier.

I have never given any character more than 100 endurance through stats. The rest comes from dragon rings. It just takes too much of an investment to make a difference unless you're going super deep into it, and most of the time you don't need to.

If you do a pure dex character you'll eventually find you either have the choice between heavy armor or more stamina, so on those sorts of runs I'll usually pump endurance. A knight with a thrusting sword can get 50 end pretty quickly without sacrificing health or damage, it's pretty great poo poo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Does anyone know if there's a decent source for critical values and stamina consumption for weapons? These are pretty significant in comparing between different weapons but they seem to be totally ignored in all the wikis etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I cannot imagine a situation where you'd need that much health in NG or NG+. It's also not just about damage, it's about weapon requirements, vitality for heavier equipment, more endurance for stamina, any number of things you could do rather than just blob up with excess vigor.

Different people, different playstyles. On my newest character I used rapiers and light armor, 10 VIT was more than enough for me. Endurance has a pretty harsh cap at 20, and none of my weapons required much (I still got my dex to 40, but still).

If you're fine with your armor and weapons, getting more VIT, etc. is more of a waste than getting VGR (which, y'know, actually does something for your character!)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

50 vgr for every build every time

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
5 invasions with infinite health out of 15. one of whom also had the "throw 10000 corrosion pots instantly" thing going on.

the more soul memory I gain, the more hackers I encounter. that doesn't make any sense.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Either way, it can supposedly be fixed by using Steam's family sharing. No, seriously.

This does indeed fix it which is precisely what makes me think it really is a ban targeted toward specific steam accounts rather than a network issue. Right now I can use the same computer on the same internet connection running the same installed copy of the game on two different steam accounts with the online play on one of them working perfectly normally and the other stuck in a hacker ghetto.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Transfer characters between the accounts.

Specifically, transfer one of the "bad account" characters to the good account and see what happens. Then transfer it back if it suddenly works again.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 8, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

5 invasions with infinite health out of 15. one of whom also had the "throw 10000 corrosion pots instantly" thing going on.

the more soul memory I gain, the more hackers I encounter. that doesn't make any sense.

Are you in the rat team? For some reason I had a horrible experience with hackers there compared to everywhere else (which was only "sometimes infuriating" rather than "why is over 20% of this game's population cheaters").

I'm not sure why that is because there's considerably less motivation to hack vs. rats than, say, bells.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Transfer characters between the accounts.

Specifically, transfer one of the "bad account" characters to the good account and see what happens.

I did exactly this, and it seems to solve the problem. CleverNickname works on one login, and not the other. I was thinking steam server problems at first, but the only time I had any online interaction in my "bad" steam account, was with an invader who did all the heihachi moves at me. On the other account I see summon signs and get picked up for co-op regularly. FYI I used CE to adjust my soul memory so I could keep co-oping in NG+ on that character, so if they did do something, I'm totally guilty.

I regret nothing.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What happens if you transfer a different good character right back? Does it start failing again?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

What happens if you transfer a different good character right back? Does it start failing again?

I copied the same save file back after using it on the good account, and it had the same problem.

E: I haven't tried making a new character on the "good" account and transferring that one over.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Are you in the rat team? For some reason I had a horrible experience with hackers there compared to everywhere else (which was only "sometimes infuriating" rather than "why is over 20% of this game's population cheaters").

I'm not sure why that is because there's considerably less motivation to hack vs. rats than, say, bells.

blue man group :shrug: which might explain it, honestly.

I did invade a guy and his friend dueling with the next DLC's rings though. That was alright (and I killed them owned)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

hanales posted:

E: I haven't tried making a new character on the "good" account and transferring that one over.

I would do this.

I have extreme trouble believing there's some kind of hacker server. I have done a tremendous amount of stuff and have not been touched. To think you would be just for SM edits would be madness.

Plus, eur0pa, a total (in a goodish way) nut (and guy who made Watchdog for DS1) who went so far as to packet sniff to check this, is also convinced there's no hacker ghetto server. I would be inclined to think there's some kind of weird error.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

I would do this.

I have extreme trouble believing there's some kind of hacker server. I have done a tremendous amount of stuff and have not been touched. To think you would be just for SM edits would be madness.

Plus, eur0pa, a total (in a goodish way) nut (and guy who made Watchdog for DS1) who went so far as to packet sniff to check this, is also convinced there's no hacker ghetto server. I would be inclined to think there's some kind of weird error.

I agree, and the fact that there are Steam servers that have been shown as offline in the US all week would back that up. I am for sure having the problem though, and I did use CE so I'm not going to salt out if they did do something with it. Especially if I can work around it (I only use steam for dark souls, so I don't have any weird attachments to my account).

I would think they wouldn't have a hacker server, I would think they would use a filter, similar to the Summoning Ring, where if you're flagged you have a permanent filter on that only shows other people who have the same flag. Far more efficient. Of course, this is From.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

blue man group :shrug: which might explain it, honestly.

I did invade a guy and his friend dueling with the next DLC's rings though. That was alright (and I killed them owned)

I got a pretty bad number of cheaters there too although more like 1 in 10 than 1 in 3 (I would just quit at that point, that is way too many to be a remotely fun experience considering half or more fights with fair players are still ruined by the netcode). I can't comment on how bad it is for dargons and reds but I definitely had the most cheaters as a rat and second most as police. Only 1 infinite health player out of 35 or so bell invasions though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tallgeese posted:

I would do this.

Why would there be a separate server? they might well have an rear end in a top hat flag that's set for your db record on the server and the matchmaking algos would only return other people with the rear end in a top hat flag set. There is no reason for this aspect of the protocol to be client-visible.

Developer-operated "servers" aren't a single machine anyway, they're usually an entire cluster of virtual machines co-hosted with a bunch of other stuff in a :yayclod: data center somewhere, so "separate server" is a very abstract concept to begin with.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 8, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nothing can oneshot you at 20 Vigor either and you aren't wasting an additional 30 levels on health. You should not need that much health.

My 54 Vigor was mostly for PvP, where the extra one or two hits (depending on the weapon) can be the difference between winning and losing, but it's pretty nice in PvE too. Vigor is never a waste (until 50, at which point the extra points are actually insignificant.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Made another pvp vidya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFJKNogqAo

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I had that same drat issue! Rarely ever saw hackers till I started ratting it up, where I got a pretty drat consistent stream of the jerks. Maybe they just really want our lockstones? I don't know, figured if you are going to cheat why not just cheat in a million stones if you want stones...

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I've been playing more on PC and I've been using CE for CREOs and counting invasion wins to rank myself in BoB because the arena is loving dumb. With metacap that fixes almost every mechanics issue I have with the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times but is the buckler the only small shield with a larger parry window? I suck at it so I need all the help I can get.

e: But maybe being bad at it fits with my new character, the Scrublord.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 8, 2014

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

I need to learn how to parry like that. Also, I think I'm the first mage you murdered in that video. The one that shot affinity and a soul spear.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times but is the buckler the only small shield with a larger parry window? I suck at it so I need all the help I can get.

e: But maybe being bad at it fits with my new character, the Scrublord.

Buckler and Target Shield. But they're not necessarily better than small shields; they have more parry frames but also more startup frames which can make them tougher to use. Also makes doing setup parries (where you block a number of hits then parry the next) more difficult.

nohopeindope posted:

I need to learn how to parry like that. Also, I think I'm the first mage you murdered in that video. The one that shot affinity and a soul spear.

Keep in mind I had about ~1hr's worth of footage, so what ends up in the video is a fair bit cherry picked.

Also, neat. I think I fought you a couple times. Fyi you shouldn't block much unless you got a greatshield or are doing a setup parry; otherwise you're just asking to get guard broken even if the opponent doesn't mean to, as in that clip.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 8, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Buckler and Target Shield. But they're not necessarily better than small shields; they have more parry frames but also more startup frames which can make them tougher to use. Also makes doing setup parries (where you block a number of hits then parry the next) more difficult.

I didn't know that about them, interesting. I'll try with and without it and see; I'm currently using a pair of falchions until I find some hanzo steel to mess around with. The hard part is I'm used to just going "gently caress it" and rolling.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't know that about them, interesting. I'll try with and without it and see; I'm currently using a pair of falchions until I find some hanzo steel to mess around with. The hard part is I'm used to just going "gently caress it" and rolling.

(some) curved swords are arguably the best parrying items (unless they nerf them again). I think some do not have the good parry, but others definitely do (such as the Melu Scimitar). They have near instant parry frames (and Mon Scim even moreso) and a generous number of parry frames as well.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

hanales posted:

I would think they wouldn't have a hacker server, I would think they would use a filter, similar to the Summoning Ring, where if you're flagged you have a permanent filter on that only shows other people who have the same flag. Far more efficient. Of course, this is From.

What did you edit your SM to just out of curiousity? If you set it all the way to 1 and invaded NG+ then you'll be put against hackers solely for pretty obvious reasons.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

nohopeindope posted:

HCSM/CSS spam is the worst possible thing IMO in PVP.

Good video Geno.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

Bigass Moth posted:

HCSM/CSS spam is the worst possible thing IMO in PVP.

Good video Geno.

It really doesn't work that often. Affinity is way better than soul mass for that. It can circle all the way around the bridge in iron keep and hit someone from behind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I take it back, dual falchions suck, but a single one is great. They don't even get time to attack me for me to try to parry.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Which one of you dickheads stole my idea and is currently invading the pirate area as CURVED SWORDS.