Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That reminds me, the liberals and political correctness have won, and they changed the name of the Nathan B. Forrest High School in Jacksonville this year :negativebutitsalldressedupliketheolemissrebelsmascot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Having spent a week working in it back in June, I have to admit that the Nixon Library and archive is very well organized and staffed by helpful, professional people who want to help with any project, regardless of what attitude you take towards that library's namesake. I know since mine contains a hefty amount of "he was a criminal shithead who did damage to America that persists to this day," albeit in somewhat more polite language.

Yea while I hate the guy himself, The Nixon Library is probably one of the best presidential libraries.

LBJ is still tops, but Nixon is a good second or third. My visit there was very nice and the people on staff were super pleasant which I like to think drives Nixon's ghost bonkers.

"Aroo stop helpfully leading people to all the information they want and offering to provide extra assistance if they need it!":nixon:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My high school was named after Jacques Brel.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Best Presidentially named campus building is the LBJ Library because it's an actual working library and endowment and not a shrine.

It also has a pretty good public policy school (which I am going to)

But I've heard people in the state government don't trust any research that comes out of it because it's got LBJ's name on it, they only read stuff from the Bush school :texas:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

My high school was named after Jacques Brel.
good and cool

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

But I've heard people in the state government don't trust any research that comes out of it because it's got LBJ's name on it, they only read stuff from the Bush school :texas:

I know so many people with MPAs and MPPs from LBJ it's ridiculous.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Nixon birthplace is also interesting, if only because he reveals what might have been.

quote:

The house was built in 1912 almost entirely by Nixon's father, Frank, in the center of the family's citrus groves. On the right as you enter is a brick fireplace flanked by a straight-backed settee and a straight-backed chair. (No wonder Nixon was such a stiff; he never got to flop on a comfy couch.) To the left is the family's upright Crown piano, along with Nixon's clarinet, saxophone, accordion and violin, all acquired because his mother, Hannah, felt he had a major musical muse.

"I have often thought that if there had been a good rap group around in those days, I might have chosen a career in music instead of politics," Nixon says on the audio tour.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

How cool is it that the two big and well-known public schools in the state were already taken so Bush 43 ended up attaching his library to a school most people only know for breaking every NCAA rule in the book?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I know so many people with MPAs and MPPs from LBJ it's ridiculous.

We've had alumni coming in for orientation, it seems like there's at least one in every state office and a lot in Austin city government.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

The Nixon birthplace is also interesting, if only because he reveals what might have been.

There's an alternate universe where Nixon was the first white rapper and Gingrich a host of an animal TV show and it's a much happier world for all involved.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Nixons With Attitude

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nixon would be one of these really creepy white guys who are super into rap but you kinda think it's only because they can say nigga a bunch while quoting the songs they say they like.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Uh was there a white music style from the '40s called rap?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I'm guessing the term was used like "jam band," or Nixon had decent joke writers for his childhood home audio tour.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The world would just think that white people invented rap, just like Rock and Roll.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Just imagine if Nixon had become a musician following the trends of our current era:

e: tables

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 8, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As usual, lol at Vermont.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Just imagine if Nixon had become a musician following the trends of our current era:

How was Wisconsin spared from The Whiteness?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

As usual, lol at Vermont.

Population density plays into that map a lot. One guy in Barre switching to an adult-contemporary station can through the whole state off.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I mean, at least it wasn't Phish :sweatdrop:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I looked at that map and thought I wasn't sure I had ever heard Imagine Dragons, so I went on Youtube and realized that when I heard them on the radio I thought Coldplay had put out a new record.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Chantilly Say posted:

e: tables

Yes! Eat it Washington, we have better taste in music than you :smaug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Theyre atrocious and that Radioactive song is loving everywhere.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hedera Helix posted:

Yes! Eat it Washington, we have better taste in music than you :smaug:
We liked Macklemore before it was cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

We liked Macklemore before it was cool.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Shall we post some of Jay Z's lyrical offerings regarding homosexuality?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I live in Drake country bud.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

There's an alternate universe where Nixon was the first white rapper and Gingrich a host of an animal TV show and it's a much happier world for all involved.

And GWB is the commissioner of MLB

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thanatosian posted:

Shall we post some of Jay Z's lyrical offerings regarding homosexuality?

Aside from typical dumb 'hah you're gay' stuff pretty sure he hasn't exactly been Buju Banton.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i don't remember who posted that the middle east thread is now gibbis town, but goddamn. i mean, i'm not against isis getting torn down, but it's like anything other than blind cheer-leading the war is shouted down.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
quick tell me something about Daft Punk being horrible people

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Zeitgueist, something about Daft Punk being horrible people.

I hope 2 minutes is good enough... :ohdear:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

people who say daft punk are their favourite band are generally horrible people, though

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
yeah though they are pretty good and decent chill music

but if there's one thing I've learned from the internet it's that if I don't think a celebrity has said terrible racist/sexist/homophobic poo poo, it's because I haven't looked hard enough

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

R. Mute posted:

people who say daft punk are their favourite band are generally horrible people, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwRlt1XyOg0

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I saw them in concert once and it was OK, but they were just playing tracks right off their records without remixing them or anything.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Joementum posted:

I saw them in concert once and it was OK, but they were just playing tracks right off their records without remixing them or anything.

Did you ever think that maybe they just send actors instead of go themselves? I keep thinking this and every time it makes more sense to me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't know, it's probably cool to get paid to visit nice places and dance in front of a light show for a couple hours with a helmet on.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Yeah definitely, I think what really stands out to me is that Daft Punk could get away with sending actors in place of themselves, where as a masked performer like Buckethead couldn't get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Yeah definitely, I think what really stands out to me is that Daft Punk could get away with sending actors in place of themselves, where as a masked performer like Buckethead couldn't get away with it.

Pfft. You people want to talk about a mysterious band who could easily have been replaced a thousand times over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsGRasyHEEg

• Locked thread