Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Something that need to be clear is that the speedster is just a mean to showcase how shady and amoral Spyral is. The canibal speedster is a doctor that (somehow) outfitted herself with a biomechanical stomach that accelerated her metabolism giving her superspeed, however it was a prototype and she required to consume a lot of calories to avoid consume herself. She was targeted and hunted by every secret agency on the world she killed any agent sent after her and she eat them to survive.

Dick and Helena were the most recent agents sent after her and while Dick wanted to aprehend her and left her to the authorities, Helena offered her a job on Spyral and when Dick complaind she triggered an hypnotic command to 'shut' him down.

At the end is revealed that the stomach allow Spyral to uncover Flash identity.

I don't see how any of this translates into becoming a cannibal making any loving sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

I don't see how any of this translates into becoming a cannibal making any loving sense.

Convenience? I mean if you're killing the agents anyway...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

Convenience? I mean if you're killing the agents anyway...

Pretty much:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cool so it is in fact gross unnecessary bullshit aka a comic published by DC.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What so did she eat the bones too?

Someone make a KFC "I ATE THE BONES!" parody with this character.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is she coming to a stop and monologuing, or is she supposed to be coherent while whipping around the room?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

Is she coming to a stop and monologuing, or is she supposed to be coherent while whipping around the room?

Both, she stops to drop most of the info and when her dialogue becomes weird is because she's talking while running.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eating people is easier than running at super speed through one of the thousands of Chinese Buffets in America.

Right.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm still boggled at the idea that you get a desirable calorie to effort ratio for eating an entire human. Like, drat. Go buckwild on a tub of butter lady.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How many more pages can we obsess over this?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Eating people is easier than running at super speed through one of the thousands of Chinese Buffets in America.

Right.

This is like the buffet coming to you.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

How many more pages can we obsess over this?
You got more interesting DC news to discuss?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

This is like the buffet coming to you.

Well I guess if people were made of Sweet & Sour Chicken I guess I'd become a cannibal too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

redbackground posted:

Yeah, give us something else to sink our teeth into.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well I guess if people were made of Sweet & Sour Chicken I guess I'd become a cannibal too.

You can't really be sure they aren't.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Nothing so deeply controversial as Grayson #2, no :shobon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

You can't really be sure they aren't.

Well, I once bit my sister's arm and she didn't bleed orange sauce so I'm fairly certain.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nothing so deeply controversial as Grayson #2, no :shobon:

Can we all agree, without reading the book, that it is the worst comic ever published?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Madkal posted:

Can we all agree, without reading the book, that it is the worst comic ever published?

Nope, Final Crisis still exists.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Was Taters posted:

Nope, Final Crisis still exists.

You misspelled Cry for Justice.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Action Man posted:

Grounded.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

The Action Man posted:

Justice!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Action Man posted:

You mean the award-winning Cry for Justice? Yeah right, buddy!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Isn't the Speed Force supposed to take care of this exact specific problem?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Was Taters posted:

Nope, INFINITE Crisis still exists.

Pretty sure that was the crisis you meant.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I found this image depressingly accurate. DC is at their worst point in years and Marvel is just doing a great job on almost all fronts.

I grew up being a HUGE DC fan and now I couldn't give a poo poo about anything they do.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BrianWilly posted:

Isn't the Speed Force supposed to take care of this exact specific problem?

That's the thing, she wasn't connected to the Speed Force. Considering that the organ gave Spyral Flash's identity it doesn't seem too far fetched that they got Barry's metagene there somehow.

I'm enjoying Grayson but the complaints about being the same as issue 1 are true, since this followed the exact same structure and outside of showing Spyral darker side didn't advance the plot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just assume Grayson'll mostly be a network TV show style case of the week type deal.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Unmature posted:

I found this image depressingly accurate. DC is at their worst point in years and Marvel is just doing a great job on almost all fronts.

I grew up being a HUGE DC fan and now I couldn't give a poo poo about anything they do.

99% of the image is dumb but starts off with the hilarious bit of "DC won't make Wonder Woman film, see how great Marvel are for letting Black Widow be a supporting character".

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

99% of the image is dumb but starts off with the hilarious bit of "DC won't make Wonder Woman film, see how great Marvel are for letting Black Widow be a supporting character".

Not really man, she was pretty much his sidekick costar in that movie. Falcon and everyone else were support, it could have easily been Falcon going on broventures with Steve in the Mall and to the Army base and whatnot. They chose Widow to be his equal and have her even kinda go toe to toe against Bucky.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Jiro posted:

Not really man, she was pretty much his sidekick costar in that movie. Falcon and everyone else were support, it could have easily been Falcon going on broventures with Steve in the Mall and to the Army base and whatnot. They chose Widow to be his equal and have her even kinda go toe to toe against Bucky.

Yeah but she's still a sidekick. You can't knock DC for not making a Wonder Woman film and only including her in Batman v Superman and Justice League (so far) and praise Marvel for doing the same thing. And Marvel have the bonus of her being an established film character with an actress who has proven she can lead #1 action films at the box office.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah but she's still a sidekick. You can't knock DC for not making a Wonder Woman film and only including her in Batman v Superman and Justice League (so far) and praise Marvel for doing the same thing. And Marvel have the bonus of her being an established film character with an actress who has proven she can lead #1 action films at the box office.

Yeah pretty much this.

And it's not like there's not more people clamoring for her to have her own film than even WW at this point.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Where's that bullshit quote by Feige where he basically says "We want to make a Black Widow movies buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut we don't have the time, k'bye.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Vincent posted:

Where's that bullshit quote by Feige where he basically says "We want to make a Black Widow movies buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut we don't have the time, k'bye.

I'm afraid that they waited too long and Johansen's schedule won't allow it till close to the end of the decade.

They drat well better get a Captain Marvel movie going before then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm actually really interested in seeing what happens to that The Rock as CAPTAIN MARVEL/SHAZAM!! Rumor.

Because at the rate DC is going with their cinematic Vision, William 'Billy' Batson will be a grief stricken survivor of the Metropolis Incident (Watch Man of Steel for the details! --Ed) who watched his parents die in order to save him and his sister. After months of living in a catatonic state, Billy speaks THE WORD that imbues him with the power to wreck his vengeance on the world!

I just can't see anything not grimblood coming out of that universe now. Which is a shame because a Shazam movie could be pretty fun.

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

ImpAtom posted:

Sue Dibny being raped by Dr. Light and murdered by Jean LOring was not portrayed as anything but horrific but that didn't stop it from being needlessly grimdark and stupid. In fact all of Identity Crisis was basically Modern DC: The Comic.

Kirby's "Forever People" features an amusement park that acts as a front for a massive torture and brainwashing operation lead by an actual god of torture. Jack Kirby, the original King of Grimdark.

(Also lmfao if you don't believe Meltzer thought his new kewler, edgier Dr. Light was a billion times better than the original version from the silver age. Double the laughs if you think Identity Crisis was anything other than Meltzer's attempt to fix the "silliness" of the DC universe.)

Dash Magnum fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dash Magnum posted:

Kirby's "Forever People" features an amusement park that acts as a front for a massive torture and brainwashing operation lead by an actual god of torture. Jack Kirby, the original King of Grimdark.

It's pretty disingenuous to pretend like Kirby's depiction is at all like modern DC. Something can be dark or scary without being "lol, turns out there's a super speedster but she needs to EAT people for some reason!"

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty disingenuous to pretend like Kirby's depiction is at all like modern DC. Something can be dark or scary without being "lol, turns out there's a super speedster but she needs to EAT people for some reason!"

Just carrying your logic out to it's conclusion, never said I agreed with it.

I mean hell, I agree with the sentiment you're expressing here. I just don't see how "Eats mainly sheep, and the occasional super-spies that try to capture her" is so much further down the "dark" spectrum than "actual amusement park torture palace" or "wants to literally wipe out all choice/free will".

If that's the line in the sand you want to draw, then fine, I guess I can't really change your mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dash Magnum posted:

Just carrying your logic out to it's conclusion, never said I agreed with it.

I mean hell, I agree with the sentiment you're expressing here. I just don't see how "Eats mainly sheep, and the occasional super-spies that try to capture her" is so much further down the "dark" spectrum than "actual amusement park torture palace" or "wants to literally wipe out all choice/free will".

If that's the line in the sand you want to draw, then fine, I guess I can't really change your mind.

You're making a crazy disingenuous argument here. There's a real significant difference between "lighthearted character is murdered and retconned-raped by another character usually portrayed as lighthearted" and "an evil amusement park run by an evil god."

It isn't carrying my logic out to its conclusion at all unless you ignore the actual context of the characters involved.

As for why this is worse: Because there is no context in which it makes sense. It is putting cannibalism into a situation to make it more grim and dramatic instead of because it makes sense even via comic book logic. Wally West needed to eat a lot of calories too but he never took chunks out of his supervillains. There are a lot of ways you could portray a super-speedster as horrific without her taking a bite of Dick Grayson's arm.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seriously. 70% of episodes of The X-Files or Fringe (comparing as agents-against-monsters-of-the-week things) tower completely over this issue of Grayson in terms of dark tone and gross situations.

We do not need to worry about it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 9, 2014

• Locked thread