Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hmm…

Is there any neat way to quickly force OSX to reconnect to a wifi network it's already connected to?
The coverage here at home is, well let's just call it uneven, and while my macbook is happy enough to quietly switch to the n-part of the network when I go out on the balcony, it's not nearly as eager to switch back to ac when I go back in and get in range of that particular router.

Yes, in practice, turning wifi on and off again does it quickly enough, but it's just… inelegant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Same SSID name? If you give each a different name you can give preference to the AC network and wait for OSX to change ...

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sorry for the day, thanks for that I'll take a look into it. Thought it might be something along those lines, but it's odd that it would also effect me switching tabs even. I came up with a solution though - I've dumped Adium and switches to Textual for IRC.

----

Another thing that's saddened me moving over to Yosemite - I still get *ridiculous* Kernal Task usage on my machine. It's got 12gb of RAM and at this very minute 6gb is jammed up in the kernel. It's been like this since Mountain Lion and a bit disappointed it hasn't been resolved as I know a ton of people are affected by it. Might have to do a complete reinstall when the final comes out, but ugh... the best thing about OS X operation is having left that 12 month reformat/reinstall back in 2005.

e: for clarity.

Never really paid that much attention to the memory compression before because this has been affecting me for so long, but fair play if it's crunched up 4GB worth. Also, gently caress Facebook for not being able to design a website that doesn't try and claim an entire GB of RAM. I just want to look at cat photos, not mine bloody Litecoin or something.

It's a beta.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tippis posted:

Hmm…

Is there any neat way to quickly force OSX to reconnect to a wifi network it's already connected to?
The coverage here at home is, well let's just call it uneven, and while my macbook is happy enough to quietly switch to the n-part of the network when I go out on the balcony, it's not nearly as eager to switch back to ac when I go back in and get in range of that particular router.

Yes, in practice, turning wifi on and off again does it quickly enough, but it's just… inelegant.

In the advanced section make AC the first network you try to connect to. Also make sure they have different names and make sure you have the latest 10.9 update as it helps address wifi connection issues.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kingnothing posted:

In the advanced section make AC the first network you try to connect to. Also make sure they have different names and make sure you have the latest 10.9 update as it helps address wifi connection issues.

I used that kind of setup before, but it tended to lead to the opposite problem: the mac would for whatever reason desperately cling to the last shreds of ac signal rather than switch over to n so I'd get more connection errors. That was the reason I switched to a single SSID: at least then it stages down properly. Just like now (but in the opposite direction) the signal was apparently juuust good enough not to trigger a switch-over even though it would be beneficial to do so.

Ah well, a quick on-off sequence is still better than having to manually switch networks just because OSX is stubborn and clingy. :haw:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Tippis posted:

I used that kind of setup before, but it tended to lead to the opposite problem: the mac would for whatever reason desperately cling to the last shreds of ac signal rather than switch over to n so I'd get more connection errors. That was the reason I switched to a single SSID: at least then it stages down properly. Just like now (but in the opposite direction) the signal was apparently juuust good enough not to trigger a switch-over even though it would be beneficial to do so.

Ah well, a quick on-off sequence is still better than having to manually switch networks just because OSX is stubborn and clingy. :haw:

You could probably write a tiny shell script that just does "ifconfig en1 down && ifconfig en1 up" and make that a shortcut in your dock (or alfred or launchbar or whatever) and use that to up/down wifi with a single click.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Don't worry bout how much swap you use, worry when it grows. Your Memory Pressure graph shows the system thinks it still has plenty of free RAM, so you shouldn't be running into any problems. I'd guess it's probably crashplan reading all of your data and filling up unused RAM with the disk cache, which will be purged when the RAM is needed for other things.

I've got 16g of RAM and 9 of it is free and I'm also using 1 gig of swap. If the OS has decided that memory won't be used for a while (or ever) it's a good idea to get swap it out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lawen posted:

You could probably write a tiny shell script that just does "ifconfig en1 down && ifconfig en1 up" and make that a shortcut in your dock (or alfred or launchbar or whatever) and use that to up/down wifi with a single click.

Why do I keep forgetting that things like automator and services exist. :suicide:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tippis posted:

Why do I keep forgetting that things like automator and services exist. :suicide:
Cause Apple seems to forget about them too :downsrim:

Actually services are getting revamped into extensions, or they're taking over for what services were supposed to be (usage wise), I forget. Any changes with Automator in Yosemite or is it basically the same?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for reading the post where I clearly say this is "still" a problem and that I've been suffering it "since Mountain Lion".

Ninja Rope posted:

Don't worry bout how much swap you use, worry when it grows. Your Memory Pressure graph shows the system thinks it still has plenty of free RAM, so you shouldn't be running into any problems. I'd guess it's probably crashplan reading all of your data and filling up unused RAM with the disk cache, which will be purged when the RAM is needed for other things.

I've got 16g of RAM and 9 of it is free and I'm also using 1 gig of swap. If the OS has decided that memory won't be used for a while (or ever) it's a good idea to get swap it out.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact I can feel the system acting sluggish I wouldn't have an issue. I should kill crashplan completely, I haven't had the service for ages and the process shouldn't be running anymore, but still seems to be. I've killed it in Activity Monitor now and will see if this makes a difference. I'm struggling to remember if I had the issue before I installed CrashPlan originally. It feels like I've had this forever ha. Cheers!

e: found a sudo process to kill the server I didn't even know was running still and while it's early... I think it might've done something. Overall RAM usage already dropped a little chunk and I'm not getting a sluggish response as much anymore. By jove I think you might've cracked it! Bloody backup services...

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 6, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact I can feel the system acting sluggish I wouldn't have an issue.
Can you though?

Nothing in that activity monitor suggest that your system should be sluggish, unless you don't know how to read it and are just imagining the issue since you think you're almost out of ram.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Can you though?

Nothing in that activity monitor suggest that your system should be sluggish, unless you don't know how to read it and are just imagining the issue since you think you're almost out of ram.

If he's swapping with 12 gigs of RAM...

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Man, Safari sometimes eat up a tons of RAM on my rMBP 15 (2012). It happens on both Mavericks and Yosemite. Even with one tab with Google open, it can go up to 5GB. A Safari restart will fix it but that some extreme memory leak.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Another Poster posted:

Man, Safari sometimes eat up a tons of RAM on my rMBP 15 (2012). It happens on both Mavericks and Yosemite. Even with one tab with Google open, it can go up to 5GB. A Safari restart will fix it but that some extreme memory leak.
Got extensions in use by any chance? I remember some could cause a memory leak before so maybe that's happening here. Otherwise I don't know, top sites caching?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
OSX will ask apps to release memory if there is a need, which means apps will use as much memory as they think will benefit you until that memory is needed elsewhere. Safari might hold on to a huge history in RAM until something else needs the memory.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Another thing that's saddened me moving over to Yosemite - I still get *ridiculous* Kernal Task usage on my machine. It's got 12gb of RAM and at this very minute 6gb is jammed up in the kernel. It's been like this since Mountain Lion and a bit disappointed it hasn't been resolved as I know a ton of people are affected by it. Might have to do a complete reinstall when the final comes out, but ugh... the best thing about OS X operation is having left that 12 month reformat/reinstall back in 2005.

That's a fairly high memory load - the compressor is having to work to keep all your stuff in memory. Note that the Kernel Task 'real' usage includes the 'compressed' memory - that's one reason why it's so large.
Sort by compressed mem to find out the worst leakers of memory - Twitter looks pretty bad, it has almost 1G of memory compressed.

If you want to help improve Yosemite, you can always take a sysdiagnose ('sudo sysdiagnose' in Terminal) and then file a bug at https://bugreport.apple.com for Apple to look at. Bonus points for posting the bug number here, then I'll take a glance at it as well.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Does Yosemite Safari let you swap tabs by keyboard hotkey? I'd like to swap but I have everything organized where tab 1 is work gmail tab 2 is home tab 3 is calendar tab 4 is issue tracker etc... And not being able to instantly go from any tab to one of those is a dealbreaker for me.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
I do have a bunch of extensions running so that might be the cause.

Ninja Rope posted:

OSX will ask apps to release memory if there is a need, which means apps will use as much memory as they think will benefit you until that memory is needed elsewhere. Safari might hold on to a huge history in RAM until something else needs the memory.

It was swapping and memory pressure was orange and the computer is noticeably slower too. But it is probably one of the extension that causing this which I will have to live with cause I need them.

edit: ABP is leaking some serious juice on certain site. Going to toucharcade and the tab climbed to like 1GB. Without ABP, it's around 100MB.

Another Poster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 7, 2014

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Does Yosemite Safari let you swap tabs by keyboard hotkey? I'd like to swap but I have everything organized where tab 1 is work gmail tab 2 is home tab 3 is calendar tab 4 is issue tracker etc... And not being able to instantly go from any tab to one of those is a dealbreaker for me.

Do you mean like cmd+[number]? SafariTabSwitching works fine, but you may have to uninstall and install again after upgrading to the Yosemite beta.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Another Poster posted:

I do have a bunch of extensions running so that might be the cause.

It was swapping and memory pressure was orange and the computer is noticeably slower too. But it is probably one of the extension that causing this which I will have to live with cause I need them.

edit: ABP is leaking some serious juice on certain site. Going to toucharcade and the tab climbed to like 1GB. Without ABP, it's around 100MB.

ABP loads an entire instance of itself for every ad blocked.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

Jesus Christ... Is there another good ad blocker out there for safari? That seems... Inefficient

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Today's Steam beta added hardware acceleration for In-Home Streaming on OS X 10.9+ :bubblewoop:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've just realized that I've been living a lie. I've had my OS X install so long that throughout all the upgrades my Terminal font was still Monaco. I switched to Menlo and I feel like I have no idea what I've been doing with my life. "What do you mean it doesn't look like crap when it's not tiny?!"

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Pivo posted:

I've just realized that I've been living a lie. I've had my OS X install so long that throughout all the upgrades my Terminal font was still Monaco. I switched to Menlo and I feel like I have no idea what I've been doing with my life. "What do you mean it doesn't look like crap when it's not tiny?!"

Meslo is even better since the line spacing is a little more generous. Meslo DZ is even better-er 'cause dotted zeros are :cool:

I'm sure there's a non powerline pre-patched version on GitHub but I had the patched version starred and powerline is awesome too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

thegreatcodfish posted:

Jesus Christ... Is there another good ad blocker out there for safari? That seems... Inefficient
I use the...non plus AdBlock I think, no clue if it's any better though. I suspected it used a lot of memory and otherwise have been having issues with content here and there so I disabled it a little while back and tried going with just Ghostery and manually blocking annoying stuff when they came up. Worked decently but it only works on external resources, so I had to turn Adblock on again for sites that did their own annoying poo poo.

Pivo posted:

I've been using ProFontX, kinda bizarro (not necessarily a fan of all the changes) but I've gotten used to it at this point.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

thegreatcodfish posted:

Depending on your needs, ClickToPlugin can be a decent ersatz adblocker. It disables all Flash ads as a side effect of making all Flash content opt-in. I have yet to be prodded into installing a real adblocker by a non-Flash ad -- it's only the Flash ones which are horribly obnoxious. (To me, YMMV.)

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
How about bypassing Youtube ads?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kingnothing posted:

Wait, what? That sounds pretty darn amateur. :(

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

thegreatcodfish posted:

ABP is a giant piece of poo poo.

On Chrome, HTTP Switchboard is orders of magnitude more efficient and didn't sell out to ad companies.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It's been years since I've had a functional Mac, pardon my silly question.

Are anti-virus programs still unnecessary? Judging by the chat in the last page or so of the thread, can I just settle for clicktoplugin?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boxman posted:

It's been years since I've had a functional Mac, pardon my silly question.

Are anti-virus programs still unnecessary? Judging by the chat in the last page or so of the thread, can I just settle for clicktoplugin?

Don't bother with antivirus

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/05/14/adblock-pluss-effect-on-firefoxs-memory-usage/

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

On Chrome, HTTP Switchboard is orders of magnitude more efficient and didn't sell out to ad companies.

Wow, this is a great extension. Thanks for the heads up.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I think getting Lion Server's built in VPN working is drat near impossible. It's finicky as hell. I was able to map my IP to the server behind the router but then that just quit connecting and only works with a local IP. Also no matter what I do it will not allow me to browse the web under the VPN connection even though my DNS is clearly being returned when I do connect.

Any good alternatives to try? I don't care about cost if it will actually work.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

fleshweasel posted:

It's almost as though the people who write ad blockers might be short sighted individuals unable to imagine the consequences of their actions on the larger whole.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

cbirdsong posted:

It's almost as though the people who write ad blockers might be short sighted individuals unable to imagine the consequences of their actions on the larger whole.

Or they might be actual amateurs providing a valuable service to the public. The internet isn't usable without an ad blocker, and it's getting worse again with the drat CSS-based popovers. Anyone know a good way to be rid of those?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Luceo posted:

Or they might be actual amateurs providing a valuable service to the public. The internet isn't usable without an ad blocker, and it's getting worse again with the drat CSS-based popovers. Anyone know a good way to be rid of those?
Some sites are obnoxious without an ad blocker but I wouldn't make a blanket statement about the internet being unusable.

As far as CSS popovers, could CSS override mechanisms block those? Like a manual style sheet in preferences, or one of those user CSS extensions (unless those also bloat memory like crazy).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can't really block the CSS popovers because a lot of sites legitimately use them for modals (my company's site sure as hell does). You say, OK only if the style change is triggered by JS that is triggered by a user action - but no, we display popovers when you load the page (like welcome guides and stuff)

LOTS of sites do these now. You can't block ads and not block these. You say ok whitelist sites then, but how do you know what to whitelist if you block it by default? You'll be degrading your UX on the web and it'll be a shoddy heuristic *at best* because there's a million ways to do these things.

The best you can do is block the ads from loading =/ But you'll still have to click an 'x' somewhere.

tl;dr sorry bros

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Pivo posted:

You can't really block the CSS popovers because a lot of sites legitimately use them for modals (my company's site sure as hell does). You say, OK only if the style change is triggered by JS that is triggered by a user action - but no, we display popovers when you load the page (like welcome guides and stuff)

LOTS of sites do these now. You can't block ads and not block these. You say ok whitelist sites then, but how do you know what to whitelist if you block it by default? You'll be degrading your UX on the web and it'll be a shoddy heuristic *at best* because there's a million ways to do these things.

The best you can do is block the ads from loading =/ But you'll still have to click an 'x' somewhere.

tl;dr sorry bros

I don't even care about legitimate uses for them, since none of the sites I use employ such obnoxious crap. I just want them gone.

edit: Sites used to use popups for legitimate uses as well, but stopped when everyone started blocking them.

Luceo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Luceo posted:

I don't even care about legitimate uses for them, since none of the sites I use employ such obnoxious crap. I just want them gone.

It's not obnoxious, we use them to guide people around the user interface, or to notify people of certain things like "hey, your credentials / API key expired!".

I can't help you build this kind of extension because as I said it would be a hackish heuristic at best and will break the web.