Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That's also the origin of the myth the loud idiot who can be found in various workplaces spreads.

"You end up making less for overtime hours because of the extra taxes!" - Someone Who Doesn't Understand The Concept Of Marginal Tax Rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

whatshesaid posted:

Working my way towards a promotion at this rate. I'm picking up shifts left and right, they can't get enough of me. Not bad for a brand new nurse.

Where I work, this is how you ensure that you never get promoted. You'll be considered too valuable where you are to ever got moved. Meanwhile, the people who are technically performing their duties but do everything they can to screw poo poo up and get in everyone else's way get moved to management, where they can't do as much damage.

It definitely is possible to tax-screw yourself with overtime. When I worked 6 months solid of mandatory 84 hour weeks, I ended up with a difference of ~$60 on each two week check over what I'd get working 72 hours and still owed a tiny bit on my taxes like usual instead of getting a refund.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

6 months solid of mandatory 84 hour weeks

:stare:

In what universe is it legal to work an employee every day for 12 hour shifts?!?

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

MA-Horus posted:

In what universe is it legal to work an employee every day for 12 hour shifts?!?

And I thought a week of 12 hour shifts was excessive. That guy wins the most abused employee I've read about.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

Political campaigns, for one. Gotta work those phone banks 9 to 9!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

Hah, welcome to the healthcare industry.

Content: This is my first day off in 5 days, and I work 24 hr. shifts (paramedic/firefighter). We're severely understaffed, so they let us pick up OT left and right. This week I have 120 hours, and last week was 96 hours. This paycheck is gonna be sweet as gently caress.

Only booze in the house right now is 2 Miller Fortunes, and a bottle of Kentucky Gentleman bourbon. No mixers, so I've mixed my bourbon with ice and OJ. Usually I can do it with just a splash of water, but this poo poo is terrible. However, with OJ it's actually not bad at all. I may be on to something here... Bourbon + OJ...

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

MA-Horus posted:

"At Will" states. In other words don't like it find another job. I got written up at one job for not working 70 hours a week when I was working 65ish. Some companies will work salaried employees to death. Hell my first job was a movie theater that during the summer worked 16-17 year old kids 8am to 2-4am every day with no overtime (entertainment industry). I slept in that theater most nights.

If you are willing to work it Employers are willing to let you. If Employers need it and you are not willing to work it then they will find people who are.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Mickles posted:

Bachelor update:

All this stupid lovely Ikea furniture has been assembled with commensurate swearing and booze.

Now I just have booze and internet. What else is needed, really?

Take away menus for places around you and a wallet.

EZipperelli posted:

Hah, welcome to the healthcare industry.

Content: This is my first day off in 5 days, and I work 24 hr. shifts (paramedic/firefighter). We're severely understaffed, so they let us pick up OT left and right. This week I have 120 hours, and last week was 96 hours. This paycheck is gonna be sweet as gently caress.

We get sent home if we do more then 40 hours because they don't want to pay overtime.. Now I'm not sure if I should be jealous or not..

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Huh. Thanks for clearing that up. I made it to adulthood not really understanding how taxes work. But when I mentioned to coworkers that I did 6 12-hr shifts in a row last week, literally every one of them warned me to be careful, that I'd make less. I turned down one shift I was asked to pick up in a couple weeks and agreed to one. If I had agreed to both, it would be a stretch of 5 days. gently caress that. After that stretch of 6 I think I'm gonna try to make 4 my max. Also after that hell week I got calls and texts asking me to work as a tech with nurse's pay each of my 4 nights off. I said nope, sorry.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You don't really need to worry about "making less" until you do an absolutely stupid number of hours for many weeks on end like I did. The people who think that you outright make less money per hour are mostly the same people who think that their tax refund is magical free money from the government.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You don't really need to worry about "making less" until you do an absolutely stupid number of hours for many weeks on end like I did. The people who think that you outright make less money per hour are mostly the same people who think that their tax refund is magical free money from the government.

People who say this are just taking the hours they work divided by the paycheck net amount to get a "per hour" rate. If you look at it like that then it looks like you are making less money per hour than with no overtime. Like you said, same people dont realize how taxes work and assume taxes taken out never come back.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mickles posted:

Bachelor update:

All this stupid lovely Ikea furniture has been assembled with commensurate swearing and booze.

Now I just have booze and internet. What else is needed, really?

Get some of these stands. They're really handy for cable boxes/dvd players/ps#s/etc.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

MA-Horus posted:

I was in mining until a couple of months ago, and we did 12.5 hour shifts for 2 weeks with 24 hours off after the first week. Then a week off when the 2 weeks was up. That shits hosed.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Automatic Retard posted:

I was in mining until a couple of months ago, and we did 12.5 hour shifts for 2 weeks with 24 hours off after the first week. Then a week off when the 2 weeks was up. That shits hosed.

Mining jobs have the weirdest loving schedules. I've got friends that end up with 5 days off in a row because of how their days are scheduled on site. And they're the mining engineers. The guys actually going below ground day-in/day-out work crazy hours.

The only thing I've seen similar are the production engineers who work major concerts. 18 hour days every other day. They're normally paid by the event, not by the hour.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
I'm heading up to a metal fest for the weekend in the morning--by myself. I've never done anything like this before, but goddamnit, I'm an adult. Besides, once I start drinking, everyone is my friend. I have a hotel room with an extra bed. One of the bands requested a place to crash, so of course I extended my invite. No reply yet, but I do not plan on spending the night alone. :rock:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
You' love it if you meet up with a good group, and don't get surrounded by teeny boppers

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

whatshesaid posted:

I'm heading up to a metal fest for the weekend in the morning--by myself. I've never done anything like this before, but goddamnit, I'm an adult. Besides, once I start drinking, everyone is my friend. I have a hotel room with an extra bed. One of the bands requested a place to crash, so of course I extended my invite. No reply yet, but I do not plan on spending the night alone. :rock:

You're awesome, for this. I always try to promote soloing shows when you can't find friends to go with. I've never gone to a show alone and felt alone. Even when I go with friends, I wind up separated from them after the first 45 minutes. Mosh pit friends are the best friends.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
Ugh yes, it is all ages unfortunately. But I can usually make new friends pretty fast. :) I just hope there are a lot of 30+ folks there.

cname posted:

You're awesome, for this. I always try to promote soloing shows when you can't find friends to go with. I've never gone to a show alone and felt alone. Even when I go with friends, I wind up separated from them after the first 45 minutes. Mosh pit friends are the best friends.

Lol, no mosh pit for me, I outgrew that poo poo years ago. I like to hang near the bar or order a few drinks at a time and find a nice corner with a table to hang out in. I always get separated from my group anyway, like you said. It should be fun. I need it. I've been working my rear end off at my new job.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Related to concerts: Going to see Offspring, Bad Religion, and Pennywise tonight. Outdoor concert on a lakefront park. Gonna rock out in all my 90's glory. I should wear some Vans, baggy corduroys, and a puka-shell necklace to get in the spirit.

Gonna have to sneak in a flask, or something. No outside anything allowed, except completely empty water bottles to fill, or "factory sealed" water bottles.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Oh my!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DrBouvenstein posted:

Related to concerts: Going to see Offspring, Bad Religion, and Pennywise tonight. Outdoor concert on a lakefront park. Gonna rock out in all my 90's glory. I should wear some Vans, baggy corduroys, and a puka-shell necklace to get in the spirit.

Gonna have to sneak in a flask, or something. No outside anything allowed, except completely empty water bottles to fill, or "factory sealed" water bottles.

My high school self says ffffffuuuuck you I'm jealous. So does my current self.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Plastic flask of vodka. Metal detectors wont pick it up and then you can fill up a water bottle once your in.

Bad Religion was one of my favorite shows.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Use a needle to pierce a water bottle and let it drain.

Use a syringe to fill it up with vodka.

Seal it.

Also how you can sneak alcohol to deployed friends.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

omnibobb posted:

Use a needle to pierce a water bottle and let it drain.

Use a syringe to fill it up with vodka.

Seal it.

Also how you can sneak alcohol to deployed friends.

Good god that's tedious. I wish I could sneak beer in. I could probably fit 2 or 3 in my purse at least. But if I drink hard liquor out in a crowd, alone, I'll end up in some kind of trouble. I don't drink nearly as often anymore because of work. While this is a good thing, when I do drink, I'm stupid after two beers. I lose tolerance quick. The last time I drank was a week ago. The time I drank before that was over a week prior. I got really stupid fast and made an rear end of myself at some friends' house. I don't want that to happen again, ever. Let alone far from home.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Just slam a forty out on the street then and you'll probably be good for most of the concert?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Use some of these sneak water caps to reseal the bottle. You have to take the original ring off first, though.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Just keep a hip flask in your back pocket, then be everyone's friend at the concert.

e: When I was at the Jay-Z/Beyonce show last month I had success with hiding about 5-6 nips in my crotch/waistline

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

JEEVES420 posted:

Plastic flask of vodka. Metal detectors wont pick it up and then you can fill up a water bottle once your in.

Bad Religion was one of my favorite shows.

I don't live in the kind of area that has to have metal detectors at concert venues.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't live in the kind of area that has to have metal detectors at concert venues.

Do you leave your doors unlocked too? What city do you live in?

JEEVES420 has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Aug 8, 2014

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
So, most of my other clinical trials haven't been too bachelor but I am > < THIS CLOSE to getting paid $6K to snort Norco for three weeks! Labs/blood work are all good, the place is having a bitch of a time finding enough people who fit the right profile (they need people who recreationally snort opioids but aren't junkies) so I'm not likely to show up and get cut once they actually start dosing either... they're running a couple little genetic screens that only weed out like 7-10% of the population and I already know I'm more likely than normal to pass one of those.

edit: and I've never been to this place before but they give you scrubs there too, so again no laundry or anything to do :dance:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

Do you leave your doors unlocked too? What city do you live in?

Vermont. So...yeah, I probably could leave my doors unlocked.

And in essence, I practically do, since there's typically at least one window that, if not open, is at least unlocked.

Plus all the times I've forgotten to lock my doors...

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Weeeeellll its Friday night, it's my birthday, my mates are all busy/in different cities, so I've got two bottles of wine, some violent movies, and I am sorted. :getin:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

whatshesaid posted:

Louisville Deathfest? Yeah, that's one to get hammered at. Everyone is your friend, except this guy from Hate Meditation, who has ripped off a lot of people most of whom are black/death metal die-hards. That should make it an even more brutal deathfest!

Metalfest debauchery is the best. A couple years ago I pulled together plans to go to MDF last minute and ended up sleeping on the windowsill-couch that some friends were gracious enough to let me sleep on. It looked like this and was a foot shorter than me. We had a rotating cast of characters sleeping on the floor and a lot of beer, much of which was consumed in the parking lot at the festival or tucked into our patched-up vests/jackets and smuggled in. On the first night, it was really hot in the room so I opened the window, which had many tree branches growing against it. Upset by the disturbance of my small sleeping space, I ripped the branches off and threw them on one of the beds while the guy sleeping there was in the bathroom. Someone else decided to start decorating the room like a jungle with them, so I kept ripping them off until they didn't interfere with the window. Smaller twigs were stuffed in beer cans that didn't fit in the seven-layer beeramid. Somehow, I don't have any pics of the room so I'll have to hold off on any more tales of that trip until I check with friends if they have any.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
Yeah, that one. Have you been/are you going? Some dude in one of the bands just messaged me out of the blue. Maybe I'll make friends sooner than anticipated! Regardless, I just need a weekend of beer and :black101:
I don't think I'll be let down.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Jeherrin posted:

Weeeeellll its Friday night, it's my birthday, my mates are all busy/in different cities, so I've got two bottles of wine, some violent movies, and I am sorted. :getin:

Happy birthday get hammered!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EZipperelli posted:

I may be on to something here... Bourbon + OJ...

Known as an American Screw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwdriver_(cocktail)

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
I've had a wicked nasty cough, and fancied a hot whiskey to burn it out. Having run out of lemons, I decided that a clementine segment would do.

It did not do.

Still drank it, though.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > The Bachelor Thread: Still Drank It, Though

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wanted to go to that show, but then I found out that it was going to be like $65 after ticketmaster's convenience fees and such. I've seen Bad Religion a zillion times live, haven't seen the Offspring but would like to, and could take or leave Pennywise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Our Friday, "Don't drink alone, drink with us" chat is up and running:
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gqic4delfbshtfnfwqpmgkpjzia

• Locked thread