Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
So, this summer I've had infinitely more free time thanks to not being over my eyeballs in school stuff, so I've gotten more time out of my ps3. I got the latest splinter cell and metal gear solid games. I have determined that I ready enjoy stealth games, but I am complete poo poo at them.

Welp that's my stupid story thanks for listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lazy Reservist posted:

Anybody playing Hawken?

I play off and on again, every month or so. It's tons of fun, looks great, and scratches an itch that Planetside2 doesn't.

By the way, Planetside 2 is a lot better now! It doesn't run like poo poo, they keep adding poo poo, and there hasn't been goon drama for over a year. :unsmith:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

tuluk posted:

look into ToME 4(Tales of Maj'Eyal 4), it can gently caress you over hard with the random number generator, but it's good.
space engineers is supposed to be pretty sweet, builder game in space with physics & damage.
or buy into the elite:dangerous beta and party with N4I.

ToME is a great loving game.

Carteret posted:

I play off and on again, every month or so. It's tons of fun, looks great, and scratches an itch that Planetside2 doesn't.

By the way, Planetside 2 is a lot better now! It doesn't run like poo poo, they keep adding poo poo, and there hasn't been goon drama for over a year. :unsmith:

I need you to play games with me on Octagon sometime.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Goddamnit. I have two 360 controllers that won't stay connected. I usually use rechargeable AAs. I've used them fresh out of the charger, and tried alkalines out of a new pack (and they test good). I've tried both controllers and swapped the battery covers, one of which is brand new. This tells me it's probably a problem with the console's antenna. Anybody run across this or have any insight? It's been a hassle lately, but tonight the controllers were shutting down immediately after connecting.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Godholio posted:

Goddamnit. I have two 360 controllers that won't stay connected. I usually use rechargeable AAs. I've used them fresh out of the charger, and tried alkalines out of a new pack (and they test good). I've tried both controllers and swapped the battery covers, one of which is brand new. This tells me it's probably a problem with the console's antenna. Anybody run across this or have any insight? It's been a hassle lately, but tonight the controllers were shutting down immediately after connecting.

How old are they? I've had this issue with a launch one, and basically just tossed it and bought a new one.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

Are they official controllers? The transmitters go bad, hell, even on real ones.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

I need you to play games with me on Octagon sometime.

Sure thing dude. Friend me on Steam. My work schedule is kind of lovely until classes start. CarteretGC

Alternatively, PM me your email or something?

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 8, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

How old are they? I've had this issue with a launch one, and basically just tossed it and bought a new one.

They are both authentic (the new battery cover is not, though, but it's snug) and several years old. But I have a hard time believing two controllers suffered the same failure at the same time. If one crapped out I wouldn't even be posting about it, I can totally buy it. But the other one hasn't been used in weeks. I went and dug it out tonight because I was fed up with the one I've been fighting with, and there was no difference.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Well, my Dual Shock 3 controller for my PS3 is basically dead right now too. Thankfully the DS4 works on it. We can be broke controller buddies.

(Also the DS3 is pretty much the worst controller ever made).

Upgrading my system today- buddy of mine has a spare processor that'll fit my mobo, so it's a 2 core increase over my Phenom 2 processor. Also bringing my ram up to 16GB.

Free upgrades best upgrades.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The return of Sierra?!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/08/gamescom-2014-activision-teases-sierra-resurrection

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

eagerly awaiting a sequel to aces over europe

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I was a member of the fuckin Sierra-Online fan club as a kid. I love those games.

That said, it's not Sierra if Ken and Roberta Williams aren't involved.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Reinstalling Shogun 2. All the Rome stuff got me in the mood for some fall of the samurai.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I was a member of the fuckin Sierra-Online fan club as a kid. I love those games.

Ken and Roberta Williams are around 70+ right now.
their target demographic is AARP.
I'd be down if those two's involvement was blog posting about confused by whatever title they're looking at.
first title they review needs to be Hotline Miami

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I want an open universe space quest with all the weirdness that would entail.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
gently caress yes, bring back Sierra. That's one splash screen I'll never forget.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Bring back Microprose, Origin, and then Sierra.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

holocaust bloopers posted:

Bring back Microprose, Origin, and then Sierra.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Origin is technically back if you count Star Citizen :v:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Now we just need Westwood Studios back

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
LucasArts :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Those loving Star Wars games from the early 90s ruled

I remember playing a particular one a lot. It incorporated clips from the movies and had you doing different poo poo like flying or riding a speeder etc. Anyone remember it?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I replayed the Hoth mission in Shadows of the Empire all the drat time. That game ruled.

Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, and Rogue Squadron were also pretty awesome.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

I hope they bring world in conflict back, it was basically Red Dawn: the game, and played like a cold war version of endwar but actually good. I could see it being adapted well for consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBWnGUimRBw

Mr Crustacean fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 8, 2014

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr Crustacean posted:

I hope they bring world in conflict back, it was basically Red Dawn: the game, and played like a cold war version of endwar but actually good. I could see it being adapted well for consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBWnGUimRBw

I love WiC. It's like the Wargame series, except for people who aren't autistic

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mustang posted:

I replayed the Hoth mission in Shadows of the Empire all the drat time. That game ruled.

I paid 80 dollars for that cocksucker and the flying missions were the best at the time. On foot missions were pretty hilarious with these huge levels with like 6 enemies.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Booblord Zagats posted:

I love WiC. It's like the Wargame series, except for people who aren't autistic

I've never really liked RTS games, especially multiplayer, but I played the poo poo out of WiC online. I think it was just because you're just responsible for a small group of similar units. You choose armor, and you only have to control up to 4 Abrams. No base building or jumping between dozens of units. I'd kill for a sequel.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

pkells posted:

I've never really liked RTS games, especially multiplayer, but I played the poo poo out of WiC online. I think it was just because you're just responsible for a small group of similar units. You choose armor, and you only have to control up to 4 Abrams. No base building or jumping between dozens of units. I'd kill for a sequel.

Yeah, an RTS that keeps you at the platoon to company level is actually manageable and a large part of the reason that we left WW2's tactical decisions in the hands of people with less than 500 people under them

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Roberta's the one on the right...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Lazy Reservist posted:

Roberta's the one on the right...

Yep. Ken is the waiter, and one of the other girls was the studio accountant.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Did anyone else play Brothers in Arms Hells Highway? It was pretty cool squad based FPS where you maneuvered 2 or 3 fire teams around. It was released for the 360 within the first year or 2.

Surprised no one else has tried something similar, it was pretty fun and the controls were fairly straightforward.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

Those loving Star Wars games from the early 90s ruled

I remember playing a particular one a lot. It incorporated clips from the movies and had you doing different poo poo like flying or riding a speeder etc. Anyone remember it?

Rebel Assault and Rebel Assault 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=359qyiXskCE

realtalk Lucasarts, Sierra On-Line and Id Software were my holy trinity back in the day. I'd do just about anything for a new X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Mustang posted:

Did anyone else play Brothers in Arms Hells Highway? It was pretty cool squad based FPS where you maneuvered 2 or 3 fire teams around. It was released for the 360 within the first year or 2.

Surprised no one else has tried something similar, it was pretty fun and the controls were fairly straightforward.

I played the original and the one that was Market Garden, was that hells highway? The games were a lot of fun but I think Gearbox had some problems and or they didn't sell very well. Plus they came out right when WWII was no longer popular for shooters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Brothers In Arms series was pretty good. Sad to see it whither up. There was supposed to be a new title a few years back. Seemed like it just got quietly nixed.

Being older and without that much free time makes me play a lot of games on easy now. I was plugging along on hard with The Last Of Us until a few days ago. At the pace I was going it was gonna be a month before I finished the game.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

realtalk Lucasarts, Sierra On-Line and Id Software were my holy trinity back in the day. I'd do just about anything for a new X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

I always thought XvT was the weakest Lawrence Holland game. Xwing Alliance was awesome, TIE Fighter was an instant classic and the original Xwing was great just for the fact I remember my dad getting super pumped when he bought it at Egghead Software

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo just let me fly a Y-wing or A-Wing

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

And a wave of nostalgia flows over me...

My buddies dad worked with computers and had a bunch of hardware at home and I thought I was such a cool elite hacker because we could make copies of the floppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

Yo just let me fly a Y-wing or A-Wing

B-Wing for life

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
still got my original boxed copy of tie fighter sitting on my desk :unsmith:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

getting tie fighter working on modern systems
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_TIE_Fighter

getting x wing working on modern systems
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing

add in the hamachi VPN network I configured for GiP games, and you have yourselves a nice multiplayer event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I'd do just about anything for a new X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Good loving luck.

• Locked thread