Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Maybe you could invite NPCs to live on your planet if you had enough housing and assign 'em professions like "you are now a restaurant NPC" and they'd sell their racial meals or whatever rather than finding or printing NPC spawners (which just feels kinda detached to be honest) and flag them so they can't be hit by the player, that would definitely be a step in the right direction to emphasizing the Lego side of things.

That is an awesome idea. It'd be like finding rare weapons that you find a "rare" npc with good stats / whatever. And to get them you'd first have to rescue them and then you can level them up "with you" by doing certain quests.

I realize that that sounds sort of like one of the Assassin's Creed games, but brotherhood was really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Burn it down, burn it all down. We're all loving dead. People continue to think that publishing means developing, there's no more hope for anything.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Devour or Fire posted:

Hey man Tiy was a developer on Terraria http://web.archive.org/web/20120206230928/http://www.indiegamemag.com/terraria-2-0-developer-offers-a-sneak-peek-of-their-next-game

It's an archived link because they deleted the article after some information regarding somebody's title was redacted.

Wasn't he kicked off the team for being incompetent and is the reason there is no mod support for Terraria. Thanks Tyi.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Guys just stop responding to him it's not that hard.

The White Dragon posted:

If they implemented some way to make a player really attached to a planet they could call their home--much more than just some arbitrary "my spaceship warps back here when I click the Home button"--that'd tie up the buildy component nicely. Maybe you could invite NPCs to live on your planet if you had enough housing and assign 'em professions like "you are now a restaurant NPC" and they'd sell their racial meals or whatever rather than finding or printing NPC spawners (which just feels kinda detached to be honest) and flag them so they can't be hit by the player, that would definitely be a step in the right direction to emphasizing the Lego side of things.

Definitely would like to see some kind of "untargetable" flag, though. I love the idea of having a personal chef on my ship, but I hate accidentally sneezing next to him and watching him die.

Yeah this would be cool. I have what I call a "home planet" because it has the house where my buddies and I meet up between expeditions and it's where I go to craft/drop poo poo off but it would definitely be cool they had some additional mechanics for a home planet as opposed to any other.

Like, what if you could slowly terraform the planet throughout the course of the game, which would cause towns to start cropping up. By the time you've put a few dozen hours into the game you could have a world free of monsters where various races co-exist and trade. That'd be cool.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arkanomen posted:

Wasn't he kicked off the team for being incompetent and is the reason there is no mod support for Terraria. Thanks Tyi.

When he was the lead artist your character was a slightly edited Butz sprite from Final Fantasy 5.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Tiy working on terraria is why I totally understand why some of that stuff has stuck around, I just think he needs to zoom out and examine why that stuff is STILL there.

i know, i was taking a shot at early access as a whole, dummy

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Patware posted:

Burn it down, burn it all down. We're all loving dead. People continue to think that publishing means developing, there's no more hope for anything.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I always though it would be cool to have the NPC's ask for specific things for their house to "upgrade" them(special bench, chimney, two floors, etc.), to generate side quests. Or sometimes they will just ask for random things, and give you small rewards on completion.
Sort of like Dark cloud I guess.

I think it would give the NPC's some character as well, like if you got one vendor that kept asking for flowers or something. :3:

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 8, 2014

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

A Day In The Life Of A Chucklefish Employee:

(1-17) The ramblings of a mad person

Where'd you find this? I like how in this guys wildest fantasies we're all secretly miserable, but at the same time drinking at work and visiting restaurants twice a day :allears:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A dead game getting daily updates is the first sign of the undead software apocalypse.

I'm terrified.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Patware posted:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

What does this have to do with anything?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wait I think I messed up, what the gently caress is Halfway.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

What does this have to do with anything?

Nothing, of course! Don't be so silly, Braww

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Varinn posted:

I had always hoped NPC Spawners were a placeholder mechanic for some way of recruiting people to come live in a settlement you built/on your ship. It'd be almost the same mechanic, but I feel like adding some level of window dressing like that to it would make it feel much less sterile and much more personal, which is "home planets" lack.
It would be neat to see procedural gen quests that tied into this... if the villages you come across had named npcs with jobs that you could recruit.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Devour or Fire contributions to this thread are mostly shitposts at this point, so I wouldn't worry too much about things like "why?" and "what?" when reading them.

edit: also this thread probably needs some airing out due to the last few pages.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 8, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

He's kinda funny tho

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Arkanomen posted:

Some call it plagiarism, we call it development.

videogames.txt

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Party Plane Jones posted:

A Day In The Life Of A Chucklefish Employee:

1) Walk into office
2) Play with dog.
3) Leave work
4) Sleep, knowing you're doing this 6 days a week.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Finally this thread starts making sense.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

If they implemented some way to make a player really attached to a planet they could call their home--much more than just some arbitrary "my spaceship warps back here when I click the Home button"--that'd tie up the buildy component nicely. Maybe you could invite NPCs to live on your planet if you had enough housing and assign 'em professions like "you are now a restaurant NPC" and they'd sell their racial meals or whatever rather than finding or printing NPC spawners (which just feels kinda detached to be honest) and flag them so they can't be hit by the player, that would definitely be a step in the right direction to emphasizing the Lego side of things.
I think most of that is planned, and currently you can beam directly to your home planet from your ship no matter where you are by interacting with the teleporter.

graynull posted:

It's the galactic equivalent of a help wanted ad. Some poor schlub takes the temp work and walks through the one-way teleporter to cook for insane medieval robots.
That's perfect.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
This might be dumb, but....

How do I get Nightlies to run.

Getting errors saying "Could not initialize input from configuration", and a runtime error.

Halp.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Wow when did this thread swap places with /r/fedoras

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Shukaro posted:

Sometime after your last post. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lizard Wizard posted:

Idunno man, we'd just have a bunch of weird space poo poo to chop trees and dig rocks with. Why not just call a pickaxe a pickaxe?

I would be happy to call a pickaxe a pickaxe, and I have no problem with literal pickaxes in Starbound. I think the problem is more you don't even start with one, or a "good at cutting trees" Axe, or anything equivalent in efficiency in your inventory. So you have to slowly chop down trees and dig up cobblestones (if you spawn near both of them) with your manipulator in order to tie rocks to a stick, which make your manipulator look like garbage beyond it's reach. If you DO wanna go "Well, OTHER games do it", Terraria starts you off with a full set of copper tools (yes I know there is no rock tier in terraria). Or you can punch poo poo with your bare hands more efficiently than your manipulator in Mincraft (I've never actually played minecraft).

I got no issues with the manipulator itself starting out garbage, plus once it gets past roughly diamond pick levels (early days, even I could adjust numbers) it obliterates placed scenery and storage containers by brushing the mouse button. Just don't kick a character out into the world with nothing but that and a barely working sword, find out that the nearest "drops wood, not fibre" trees are a five minute walk away, and apparently add in the fact you drop all your ores and stuff on death (does this even apply to rocks and wood? But sucks for trying to make a copper pickaxe) while enemies STILL kill you in two hits or so in nightly "Just turn on godmode/make armor out of the stuff your corpse keeps dropping" land.

Honestly though, my only "Real" (to me) issue with the game when I was playing stable was the sense of inflated combat lethality, combined with how much of a pain in the rear end to heal yourself. "Sweet! I've got Impervium armor now! That means I only need to eat a banana bread to refill my health every third time I get hit! Boy oh boy it sure is great to have progressed past getting killed in one or two hits from common wildlife, every single time I move on to looking for the next ore."

From the sound of things, this still hasn't changed in nightly? But hopefully those various talks about combat mechanics overhauls on the website imply this will get dealt, with on top of the mentioned taking away enemies with death touch moving faster than sonic the hedgehog if you gave him rocket shoes.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Chucklefish are worse than EA. I said it, I am now the leader of the freedom fighters.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Section Z posted:

Honestly though, my only "Real" (to me) issue with the game when I was playing stable was the sense of inflated combat lethality, combined with how much of a pain in the rear end to heal yourself. "Sweet! I've got Impervium armor now! That means I only need to eat a banana bread to refill my health every third time I get hit! Boy oh boy it sure is great to have progressed past getting killed in one or two hits from common wildlife, every single time I move on to looking for the next ore."

From the sound of things, this still hasn't changed in nightly? But hopefully those various talks about combat mechanics overhauls on the website imply this will get dealt, with on top of the mentioned taking away enemies with death touch moving faster than sonic the hedgehog if you gave him rocket shoes.

That reminds me, this aspect of the game really makes certain weapons useless. When you take so much damage every time you get hit the only real solution is to either have a ton of healing items on hand or to simply not get hit at all. I've picked up a bunch of weapons, but I find myself sticking to ones that let me lame out enemies by keeping my distance. Stuff like daggers should be cool and fun but getting close enough to use them pretty much guarantees taking a bunch of damage in every encounter. Maybe add some unlockable ability that gives you increased lethality with quick weapons?

Btw I really do like this game a lot I just feel like we need some actual constructive criticism to water down the bullshit of the past few pages.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Shukaro posted:

hidden goon forum detected :ohdear:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
How can I stop spawning in those weird dungeons in the nightly versions? I deleted my universe folder twice and I still ended up in them.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Wow I'd like to thank these 4Channers for ruining the last safe place on the internet to discuss all the rapid and exciting changes that Starbound has gone through in the past 6 months. Thanks for nothing jerks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

That reminds me, this aspect of the game really makes certain weapons useless. When you take so much damage every time you get hit the only real solution is to either have a ton of healing items on hand or to simply not get hit at all. I've picked up a bunch of weapons, but I find myself sticking to ones that let me lame out enemies by keeping my distance. Stuff like daggers should be cool and fun but getting close enough to use them pretty much guarantees taking a bunch of damage in every encounter. Maybe add some unlockable ability that gives you increased lethality with quick weapons?

Btw I really do like this game a lot I just feel like we need some actual constructive criticism to water down the bullshit of the past few pages.

This is why against most things, I used a Hammer. The biggest hammer possible would kill most wildlife in two hits (BARELY not killing them first hit, then finish the job). Because Big damage, Big Knockback. When they didn't just pass through it, or "die" then hurt you with their flashing death screaming corpse passing through it. I tried dual wielding shortswords at various times but while fun, anything on your "tier" would love to just force their way through them. Or jump, make a 90 degree turn through the air, then drop straight down on top of your head so your short swords cant hit them.

Against bosses though, it was the Spear. Because it was the only thing with enough reach to have a chance in loving hell to hit them without taking a trade hit. Let alone hit them in the first place without getting swatted away first.

My use of melee against Brain bot through jelly was due to both poo poo luck finding guns (ONLY one I found was a pistol before bone dragon that was "like if my steel bow didn't drain way too much loving energy to fire"), and my stubbornness in refusing to just google up where to find an airship dealer to buy a bazooka. Or, you know, crapping out 20 1 pixel each gun turrets from the printer because gently caress actually fighting the boss.

I really wish axes had a bit more to them. They are cool, but their completely vanilla statistics (same Damage/speed/DPS as a spear) did not justify bothering with a weapon that had that much less reach than a stronger hammer, or faster broadsword.

EDIT: Somebody mentioned earlier that fancy shortsword and daggers drops that fired projectiles with their attacks were fabulous. But I never had the pleasure of finding a pair of such weapons anywhere near the same tier. Every single drop I found, even from minibosses, were usually worse damage than my crafted weapons of the PREVIOUS TIER. The only found weapon I used for any length of time was that spear that looked like a tesla rod and shot lightning bolts. Even when it got to be so much less damage, it was still metal as gently caress :rock:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 9, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

iuvian posted:

Wow I'd like to thank these 4Channers for ruining the last safe place on the internet to discuss all the rapid and exciting changes that Starbound has gone through in the past 6 months. Thanks for nothing jerks.

They're goons.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hey wow 225 new replies bet something cool haphaaha nope, gently caress that! Last page button, I choose you.

edit:

Potsticker posted:

They're goons.

They are 4channers who got scammed out of 25 bucks instead of merely $15 :v:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Potsticker posted:

They're goons.

They've always been goons.
People've been criticizing Starbound since the first threads. It's nothing new.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

They are 4channers who got scammed out of 25 bucks instead of merely $15 :v:

:golfclap:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Was it not we who freaked out about bird tits not so long ago? If you prick us, do we not shitpost?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Wheezle posted:

Was it not we who freaked out about bird tits not so long ago? If you prick us, do we not shitpost?

Best post in the last 300 posts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Varinn posted:

For the record, the fact that the first tier in starbound is literally making pickaxes and poo poo is still super dumb and bad, and just feels like it's only there because the games that preceded Starbound did it, which makes sense considering its origins! But at some point that should've been addressed as "hey this game has literally no need to start off like minecraft or terraria, it should be cool original poo poo start to finish"

I kinda wish the game started with your ship wrecked on a planet, and you basically find whatever poo poo you can to get it back up and running and in to orbit. The exact fuel usage doesn't bother me because Starbound's not some super serious sci-fi game. It'd be like complaining that the Flux Capacitor in Back to the Future can run on garbage and that Doc doesn't keep pissing off Libyans to get more fuel.

Or that he creates a steam-powered time traveling train. My issue isn't the use of coal and is more due to the fueling of your ship being a pain in the rear end early on, while later on you fall over so much uranium/plutonium/solarium that you sitt at a fuell tank with hundreds of each fuel unit in reserve. It'd really be for the best if the early game just had you fixing the engine and once it's fixed, no fuel to worry about. Stuff like Uranium could be used for energy weapons or to upgrade the drive so you travel to new locations faster, or have it required to jump to certain sectors.

Having minerals be separate from planet threat level would help as well. It'd also mean you could increase or decrease a threat level. Build a giant complex amazing base on that nice planet? Well a bunch of USCM raiders know you're there now and among the wildlife is a chance of hostile NPCs appearing. Eventually leading to possible raids like the goblin army in Terraria, to give a comparison.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

It's great that this thread has been pretty chill so that people from Chucklefish feel comfortable posting here and... oh.

One posted about 5 posts up from you.

Cernunnos posted:

Only if one of the options does nothing but seems like it should do something. And the developers don't say anything about it for like 2-3 years after release. :v:

Look at this fool who didn't instinctively take the skeleton key as his starting item. :smuggo:

"Hmm this starting item is given to the thief... but any class can take it. gently caress those smoke bombs or whatever bullshit consumables are offered."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Revol posted:

Best post in the last 300 posts.

Kind of a low bar

• Locked thread