Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nickiepoo posted:

Can't say I'm happy to see Eugen going back up the generic RTS route but I guess we'll see.

Considering Act of War was the best generic RTS of them all, I'm excited for this. Wargame scaled maps, Act of War style high-tech shenanigans (invisible railgun drone tanks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Another fun one from EE that's still technically there, SF infantry carry HE 3 rifles and shock HE 2. One of the best anti-helo rush tactics was just stashing some shock infantry all around your CV. Bonus points for pre-nerf indirect flame tanks in there too.

Fuckin doom forts :argh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Considering Act of War was the best generic RTS of them all, I'm excited for this. Wargame scaled maps, Act of War style high-tech shenanigans (invisible railgun drone tanks).

Oh man act of war was the poo poo. I need to play that again.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mazz posted:

Another fun one from EE that's still technically there, SF infantry carry HE 3 rifles and shock HE 2. One of the best anti-helo rush tactics was just stashing some shock infantry all around your CV. Bonus points for pre-nerf indirect flame tanks in there too.

Fuckin doom forts :argh:
Forest combat was about using infantry as spotters for flame tanks. All HEAT warheads had mad AP; a Konkurs was basically a Hellfire and all RPGs were AP 20-22 by current numbers.

Hell's Highway had a side road most people never noted and you could just drive down an infantry squad right into the enemy base.

Tigga was #1 ranked forever and there were probably less than 10 really competent players at a time ever. I made actual real by money losing in a single elimination tournament three times.

Also the game looked like this:

Oh, EE. :allears:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh man act of war was the poo poo. I need to play that again.

You have to gently caress with your computer to get it working though. The game won't launch on anything with more than two gigs of memory. But yeah, the biggest thing that got me excited about EE back in the day was finding out it was made by the people who did Act of War.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Leif. posted:

All mortars are like that though. Except if they're not 120's their damage will be negligible. The smaller mortars may be good for smoke, I guess, but they lack any real advantage over the 120's and if you're just looking for smoke there are things like the Vasilek for that.

The 81mms fire noticeably faster than the 120mms and they hit in a smaller radius. I'm pretty sure you get more of them as well which is good if you want them for smoke. I also like that I can get 4 of them for 100 points.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Has anyone bothered to check if the 107s are more like the 81s or the 120s? There are a couple of countries that get 107s that look decent and I've been thinking about putting mortars back into my decks after mostly dropping them in favor of rockets here in RD.

Edit: obv I could just go check myself but I'm barposting

Bastables
Aug 7, 2014
Going by the armoury they're in between.
81mm = 3he
107mm = 4he
120mm = 5he

They're in between in rof and dispersion values too.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The HE5 explosion radius is so much bigger than the HE3 radius that it does much more damage than you'd expect, even accounting for ROF.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
NONA SVK work great as close fire support for my VDVs...

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Elukka posted:

Forest combat was about using infantry as spotters for flame tanks. All HEAT warheads had mad AP; a Konkurs was basically a Hellfire and all RPGs were AP 20-22 by current numbers.

Hell's Highway had a side road most people never noted and you could just drive down an infantry squad right into the enemy base.

Tigga was #1 ranked forever and there were probably less than 10 really competent players at a time ever. I made actual real by money losing in a single elimination tournament three times.

Also the game looked like this:

Oh, EE. :allears:

I'm playing EE for the first time and it is wonderful. It's what I hoped World in Conflict was going to be.

Runs great on a 6 year old PC, too.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Flaky posted:

NONA SVK work great as close fire support for my VDVs...

Yeah, Soviet Airborne is actually pretty good as a mechanized deck even; just instead of tanks supporting your mech infantry you have helicopters and aircraft.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

reagan posted:

I'm playing EE for the first time and it is wonderful. It's what I hoped World in Conflict was going to be.

Which is funny because WiC was what I hoped EE was going to be. Not that I don't love Wargame but man I miss WiC.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Nickiepoo posted:

Which is funny because WiC was what I hoped EE was going to be. Not that I don't love Wargame but man I miss WiC.

:sympathy: Honestly I love World in Conflict so much. I want another one :(

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I liked the story in World in Conflict, the characters were pretty okay, and it kinda stuck out because of that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nickiepoo posted:

I didn't like WiC, too much gimmick support crap, not enough real meat, imo.

Which, incidentally, is my biggest problem with Red Dragon.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Massive got bought out by Ubisoft and have since been put in the laborcamp to develop Asscreed, Far Cry 3 and Tom Clancy: The Division

:negative:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Yeah, me too :(

I came for the campaign and stayed for the awesome synergistic multplayer.

As noted above though, players who roll support and spawn nothing but heavy arty can go do one (just like Wargame!).

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I like World in Conflict too, but multiplayer tended to get a little hectic for me. The campaign was great, though.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Tzar said something faggy about MOBAs (which I've never played) and lanes the other day and I think that's a good way of looking at it. Instead of thinking about the map in the classic sense of where each player is going, It's best to decide how much points to spend per lane. Bloody Ridge is the best example because it's actually divided into physical lanes via a valley running down the center of the map.

This means one guy is spending half his points defending Delta, two players are attacking Foxtrot and one player is attacking the town between Hotel and Echo. The Delta dude spends some extra points on the right for tanks & AA, allowing the other player there to spend more on infantry, and he also spends some points on SEAD & ATGM planes to support the middle (he might have to save up some points between when the game starts and when the forces arrive at the middle). Delta is less defended, but because the flank is sort-of blocked against vehicles and there's buildings blocking the road, you can very cost effectively hold up an attack with infantry there. It's a poor location for the opponent to attack & it can lose them the game doing so. It's 05./2.25/1.25 because the Delta player is splitting his attention.

Deck specialization is not exactly necessary, but it does make your points count for more in the critical early portion of the game. Elite panzergrenadiers are going to to be better point-for-point than anything in a non-specialized deck when fighting on that town between Echo & Hotel, and elite tanks will outfight most things in Foxtrot. So veterancy effectively = free points when it's most needed. We've been destroying other teams all week doing this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why is attacking Foxtrot with two players so effective, when there are towns directly behind Foxtrot that are easy to fall back to? Are you winning on the +2 drain from holding Foxtrot?

Haven't been playing lately because my internet is being genuinely lovely, web browsing has even become a bit of a hassle.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yes, because it's conquest and Foxtrot is a sector. The towns north & south of Foxtrot are unimportant except as staging grounds for the losing team trying to retake Foxtrot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So you don't end up losing one of the +2 zones on either side of the big town? That's what people tended to double up last time I played.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Arglebargle III posted:

So you don't end up losing one of the +2 zones on either side of the big town? That's what people tended to double up last time I played.

With a coordinated team it's generally pretty easy to hold your opponent at that fallback town, since they have to push so far from their spawn and you have a solid defensive position.

You really have to be losing badly in the middle for that next town to be easy to advance on, and if you have 2(.25) people there that shouldn't really be a problem.

Most games tend to swap to the flanks, mainly the delta side from what I've seen, when people need to attack. You can generally artillery and smoke your way into a town, which people seem to rely on more then brute force with tanks (which is questionable since a good armored push is actually easier IMO given how bad napalm and reactionary HE fires will trash even a great infantry push).

People still kind of underestimate what 5-6 Leo 2A1s/A4s/A5s or M1A1/M1A2s can really do if you press and retreat accordingly. You don't have to go the full distance with an attack, just enough keep them off balance, back up to repair and then do it again when you see the next opportunity. That high moving accuracy is really kind of ridiculous since you can advance on most ATGMs fast enough to hit within a single missile launch, and even worried they still shoot like 45%.

Pretty much every tryhard NATO team should have 1 FRG mech right now though, for the extra PGren staying power.

This is my current FRG general deck which is currently the deck I think I'm most happy with.

It really doesn't lack anything, and while the SEAD vulnerability is there to an extent, you generally have enough you can keep your AA sufficient, especially if you just start throwing down the lovely flakpanzers in pairs. Your rolands should never be SEADed because you should have 3-4 Gepards in front of them in most cases. The lovely AA vehicles in the vehicle section are something I think more people need to add back into their decks right now, since its a way to get more things shooting at planes without using your support or infantry. The autocannon buffs made the M163CS and afghan feel a lot more worth 20 points as well.

I also have a US general I enjoy, but it doesn't have the same solidness this FRG does. It does have Chapparrals though, which have grown on me a lot because you can kind of just leave them alone and they'll get poo poo done without the need for supply or SEAD awareness.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 9, 2014

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks Mukip, I love you too. I would be posting in this thread more, but my laptop is currently out of service and, well, when I'm home from work I can just sit on the mumble and talk/play with you guys all day. I would like to say though, just for the record, that I am incredibly happy with the progress we've made. Perhaps we Goons aren't exactly leading the metagame anymore, but at least we learn fast. It actually all seems rather akin to some sort of hideously effective cargo cult, actually. Unfortunately, I had no inkling of how boring being this good would be. We win every single game, using the same decks, with the same openers, the same everything... Winning 15 games in a row on Bloody Ridge with a PGren swarm/USMC/Tanks is actually shockingly boring. Maybe there's just been a dearth of truly competent pubbie teams out there, I don't know.

And Argle, those cities to the North/South of Foxtrot are where dreams go to die. Very rarely will a team, Goon or pubbie, successfully perform a take back after being pushed there.

Oh, and I've literally only been using that same German PGren deck (with minor modifications) that we stole from those pubies for, oh, more than two weeks now. It is dumb how cheapo and how good Pgrens are, and Pgren 90's are especially ridiculous. Hell, i don't even ever use the card of infantry Milan 2 teams I kept in the deck. Why bother, when an AV4 Marder with its own Milan 2's *and* another squad of Elite Pgrens is only 15 points more? German infantry/IFV pricing and availability is just so broken. The only possible way to lose a city/forest lane with them is to get team stacked hard, and even then it usually requires getting your (relatively slow) starting force naped to hell on the road before they can get out and fight from buildings.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WiC was good because it made me truly know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Mazz posted:

The lovely AA vehicles in the vehicle section are something I think more people need to add back into their decks right now, since its a way to get more things shooting at planes without using your support or infantry. The autocannon buffs made the M163CS and afghan feel a lot more worth 20 points as well.

I like these -

http://www.wargame-rd.com/index.php?rub=database-rd_test&unit=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000038050000

for cheap AA that will do alright against transport and recon helis and that you don't mind losing. Its the opportunity cost of a support slot that sucks though.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Panzeh posted:

I didn't like WiC, too much gimmick support crap, not enough real meat, imo.

Which, incidentally, is my biggest problem with Red Dragon.

Honestly though, some of the gimmick support crap owned bones

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Michaellaneous posted:

I liked the story in World in Conflict, the characters were pretty okay, and it kinda stuck out because of that.

Too much of it was brainless AI rushing your prepared defences though - the first part of missions when you were clearing them out was good but the inevitable 'now hold for ten mins' was always poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Too much of it was brainless AI rushing your prepared defences though - the first part of missions when you were clearing them out was good but the inevitable 'now hold for ten mins' was always poo poo.

Ironically this is how a lot of Wargame multiplayer works too :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mazz posted:

This is my current FRG general deck which is currently the deck I think I'm most happy with.

Hey that's MY West German deck! If you swap the mortars for 155s and Marder 1 mans for Stingers.

Of course the main difference is that mine is named Kohl's Helmut.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Does anyone else have only intermittent performance problems? 90% of the time the game runs fine on my laptop but 10% of days I'll boot up and it's stuttering and then dropping and I have no clue what makes it do that.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I get a weird stuttering boot up about half the time but usually the game runs fine afterwards. Lately been having a few more crashes than usual.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Not particular to Wargame, but I've had performance issues with my laptop through a couple different sources. It could just be overheating, which I solved by opening it up and cleaning out all the dust. I also have a really weird nvidia driver issue where, if my laptop has entered sleep mode or hibernation mode, it will send the graphics card into "low-power" mode (aka 2 frames per second mode) about 30 seconds after starting a match, until I reboot it.

I also keep forgetting that I can't enter dedicated servers without my computer lagging behind and I'll get booted from the match :(. This will happen even with the minimum-est settings possible.

Bastables
Aug 7, 2014
Does any one know how to turn of the "TV" immersion elements? I just noticed that the dark curve it shows in game is pretty much a match for the irritating dark ghosting I see when i'm not playing wargame.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

drat, you should probably see an optometrist if you're walking around with noticeable ghosting issues.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bastables posted:

Does any one know how to turn of the "TV" immersion elements? I just noticed that the dark curve it shows in game is pretty much a match for the irritating dark ghosting I see when i'm not playing wargame.

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I got it too, when I had been playing EE far too long my eyes would get that weird CRT mask pattern that they used for that game. Was really bad when I closed my eyes to sleep.

Bastables
Aug 7, 2014

Chantilly Say posted:

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

When you're in the game on the map, look at the corners, they've got a darkening effect that makes it look like you're looking at a curved tube screen by literally darkening it. It seems to have created a bit of ghosting for me.
I've been looking around to see if i can get rid of the effect, as even though it's fun it's obviously creating after image's on my monitor.

as an aside I remember EE used to also have a filter that tinged everything in green hues. Eugen do seem to enjoy "period" presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastables
Aug 7, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

drat, you should probably see an optometrist if you're walking around with noticeable ghosting issues.

I meant on my screen when i'm playing other games, browsing typing ect ect.

• Locked thread