Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's also "raised Republican in the South, has enough sense to not want to be associated with explicit racism."

A lot of people go through a libertarian phase on their way out of youthful conservative indoctrination, towards actual liberalism.

This is basically me. I was raised in ultra-conservative land in a church/school that used the A.C.E. curriculum and taught me such truths like how Apartheid was a good thing (because only taxpayers should vote) and gays should be stoned by the public lest God shower his wrath down upon America. In my early-mid 20's I had a strong Libertarian streak that eventually died out once I developed a conscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ballz posted:

I still have my copy! :haw:

"

That was the one! I have mine shrink wrapped around here somewhere. It was that and the Dinesh D'Souza "Obama's America" thing they were on about. The depressing thing was that I could tell they actually believed it all and that some people tried to get it out there (Rush, Hannity) but it all got squashed by the "liberal media" and no one ran with it since they're all in cahoots. "They've had this story since 2002!"

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure they were about get "the vapors" or something close.

It really ruined for me an already legendary and historically lovely lunch. I can't remember when I've had a combination of bad service and horrible food so expertly woven together but this overheard nonsense just added to the ambiance of the whole thing in a way that was like pouring mineral spirits onto an open blister.

Bummed me right the gently caress out. In my younger days, I probably would have taken them on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Doctor Butts posted:

That's how it started. Then it sold well and moved to FM in some markets, I think because of less music genres getting play on FM/The ClearChanneling of radio. But apparently it sells for poo poo and now sports are moving to FM, somehow.

This. AM radio was loving wasteland in the late 80's and early 90's until conservative radio and sports talk filled the void. The thing thing that pisses me off about it is the signal strength these motehrfuckers seem to have no matter where you go. I'll be road tripping somewhere listening to idiots talk about football or something and then I lose the the signal, scan the dial and no matter WHERE I am, there's always Rush, Sean, Savage, etc. or some church yelling at me to repent.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

This. AM radio was loving wasteland in the late 80's and early 90's until conservative radio and sports talk filled the void. The thing thing that pisses me off about it is the signal strength these motehrfuckers seem to have no matter where you go. I'll be road tripping somewhere listening to idiots talk about football or something and then I lose the the signal, scan the dial and no matter WHERE I am, there's always Rush, Sean, Savage, etc. or some church yelling at me to repent.

I'm seriously curious if in some alternate universe a "liberal" version of Limbaugh could have ever been a legitimate thing?

Alan Berg is kind of the type of guy I'm throwing out there for example. His career ended right as Limbaugh's took off. (Tragically I may add).

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I always got the sense that the "socially liberal" aspects weren't so much a smokescreen as it was someone being more intellectually honest about what "being conservative" means on those issues. Republicans "core values" logically lead to these things but they shut that door when they decided to let the Christian Right and everyones angry grandparents dictate social policy.

My dad is kind of like that by definition and raised to think in that regard. He even admitted that the fundie nutjob type of things were just the party catering towards "The base".

There's a really good documentary on how the GOP courted the evangelical types and vice versa. Literally the Christian Right was out there to gain power and influence in this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcRqMxzig1g

Pretty much what happened is they didn't even fully like Reagan and Bush Senior. They hated Bush Sr. for example because he signed a law about discrimination against homosexuals or something of that nature.

The end result was pretty much the W. Presidency.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

BiggerBoat posted:

The reason Clear Channel and others have tried to move talk radio to FM, with varying degrees of success, is because AM is dying a slow death with anyone under the age of 50. Advertisers want people under the age of 49...that does not bode well for revenue. Only AM stations that do well in the major markets are the big 50,000 watters that have the signal to overcome the electrical noise and crappy radios most people have (think WBZ 1030, KDKA 1020, or WCBS 880).

However, the demos still don't get better with political talk even on FM - thus CC finally giving up on 104.7 and going back to music (same thing happened with 96.9 in Boston with a different company). Crap programming is crap programming, no matter in FM stereo or AM mono at 5k.

That alone gives me hope that we are headed for the end of this era of talk radio....but I doubt we will see anything better come along aside from public radio. Radio loves cheap syndicated programming instead of live and local, even if the latter gets better ratings than the former.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Some of it has to do with this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear-channel_station

That is where "Clear Channel Communications" got its name from.

On a good night in Portland Oregon, I can pick up AM stations from San Francisco, Reno and up into Canada.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

bigtom posted:

That alone gives me hope that we are headed for the end of this era of talk radio....but I doubt we will see anything better come along aside from public radio. Radio loves cheap syndicated programming instead of live and local, even if the latter gets better ratings than the former.

But what else will I listen to while I drive? How else will I get the REAL story?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

She's 41 now, so she would have been roughly 17-19 when Nevermind was released, which is the right age for an album like that to imprint itself on your life. Not that this means anything, except it's kind of funny to see people who are of that timeframe showing signs of being doddering olds - such as evoking the coolest bands of two decades ago when I'm sure most kids seriously don't give a gently caress about rock and roll anymore.

Really I would like to say however that youth music is reaching unprecedented levels of idiocy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEDM4bsfWg

That dude is a pedophile who makes godawful music.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

A lot of people go through a libertarian phase on their way out of youthful conservative indoctrination, towards actual liberalism.

Yeah, I can definitely back this one up. I think libertarianism initially drew me because I had this notion that small government meant everyone left everyone else alone to do their own thing and that few would use the lack of oversight to take advantage of others because most people are basically good, right? I pretty quickly caught on to how stupid that was.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pope Guilty posted:

A musician that has sex with underage fans and might be a dick? This dude has nothing on Motley Crue, although that was before social media and the shame brigade.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

A musician that has sex with underage fans and might be a dick? This dude has nothing on Motley Crue, although that was before social media and the shame brigade.

Oh for the good old days of musicians loving children without consequence.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

She's 41 now, so she would have been roughly 17-19 when Nevermind was released, which is the right age for an album like that to imprint itself on your life. Not that this means anything, except it's kind of funny to see people who are of that timeframe showing signs of being doddering olds - such as evoking the coolest bands of two decades ago when I'm sure most kids seriously don't give a gently caress about rock and roll anymore.

Really I would like to say however that youth music is reaching unprecedented levels of idiocy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEDM4bsfWg

Every generation has it's share of poo poo music. Four years from now all of this bands fans will be as embarrassed of them as I am of Limp Bizkit.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Nobody listens to Blood on the Dance Floor anymore you guys, that's some 2007 MySpace poo poo.

Conservatism is Iggy Azalea, liberalism is Kanye West, libertarianism is Azealia Banks.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
There is some distinctly non poo poo music that is popular with the kids these days. It is perhaps irrational on my part, but I have a ton of hope for the information generation, especially when I dip my toes into their choices in art and music. I would argue that there are new forms of eclectic music that really would not have been able to attract an audience during my teenage days (Late 90's), and probably not even until the last 5-7 years. Two quick examples:

An Acapella group that takes pains to not overly sexualize their only female member, has a beatboxing Cello player, and has a base vocalist that can also do overtone singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80FsZDTgn0

This song is a collab between a female vocalist from a hard rock band (Lizzy Hale) and a ballet dancing violinist (Lindsey Stirling), featuring a dubstep inspired talking bass and a video with Steampunk flavored visuals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tpIMDy9BE

Whether you enjoy this music or not, I think we can all agree that it is not poo poo, and displays an eclectic nature that just simply would not have caught on in generations prior to this one.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I haven't been paying much attention to right wing news lately, but have they caught wind of that restaurant owner in MN that line-itemed a "minimum wage fee" of .35 to everyone's bill yet?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Listening to Limbaugh et al. bitch about OBAMA allowing ebola patients back into the US as being traitorous and purposefully targeted at threatening a pandemic in America.

So far, this outbreak of ebola has killed about 1000 people. Typically in uncontrolled conditions in one of the least hospitable places on earth. He is threatening to destroy this country, of course.

Last year 11,419 people died by the gun in the US.

You loving CUNTS. gently caress.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I can't watch the vid right now but when you have Dubstep and Steampunk in a description, "not poo poo" is a very heavy lift. Those are two things that are very rapidly showing their age in the zeitgeist.

Also I have no idea where this derail started but it's pretty funny.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can't watch the vid right now but when you have Dubstep and Steampunk in a description, "not poo poo" is a very heavy lift. Those are two things that are very rapidly showing their age in the zeitgeist.

Also I have no idea where this derail started but it's pretty funny.

I'll take any excuse I can to annoy people with Blood On The Dance Floor videos. They are God Awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ykA0-rPNo

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 9, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Prester John posted:

There is some distinctly non poo poo music that is popular with the kids these days. It is perhaps irrational on my part, but I have a ton of hope for the information generation, especially when I dip my toes into their choices in art and music. I would argue that there are new forms of eclectic music that really would not have been able to attract an audience during my teenage days (Late 90's), and probably not even until the last 5-7 years. Two quick examples:

An Acapella group that takes pains to not overly sexualize their only female member, has a beatboxing Cello player, and has a base vocalist that can also do overtone singing.

This song is a collab between a female vocalist from a hard rock band (Lizzy Hale) and a ballet dancing violinist (Lindsey Stirling), featuring a dubstep inspired talking bass and a video with Steampunk flavored visuals.

Whether you enjoy this music or not, I think we can all agree that it is not poo poo, and displays an eclectic nature that just simply would not have caught on in generations prior to this one.

In the words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Prester John posted:

These people sure do love wearing poo poo on their faces.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Yeah that's why the "Young people will just be libertarian" argument falls flat with me - Millennials are significantly less white than previous generations, and non-whites have not seen their economic prospects develop much or at all. They're not going to be the ones that embrace a libertarian rhetoric, especially if it comes from literal (former?) white supremacists.

Ideas that all millenials will be libertarian tends to come from the fact that most of the cohort hasn't graduated high school or at least college yet, and people assuming that since 19 year olds just read Ayn Rand for the first time they will be libertarians forever.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Pope Guilty posted:

He plays too much Final Fantasy.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Prester John posted:

Oooh, hey, I love Lizzy Hale. (To be fair, I was raised on Bon Jovi.) In return, some Steam Powered Giraffe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYK6CW8gdw
and some Abney Park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjRGYE6brQY

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 9, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
If people are unironically posting Pentatonix and Steam Powered Giraffe then this thread has taken a dark turn. Someone ask Sean Hannity how he feels about the Pledge of Allegiance, we need new discussion material.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

The Conservative --> Libertarian --> Liberal transition describes me. I remember when I was a conservative I believed in legalized abortion since "Conservatives believe in less government and more freedom, so obviously it would make sense for conservatives to support legalized abortion!" :downs: Whoops. Then, Libertarianism was a natural fit for me since all I knew of Liberal politics was strawmen and I was too socially liberal for conservatism.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey, if someone likes steampunk music, that's certainly Steam Powered Giraffe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJAmlnBxoA As I said, I grew up on Bon Jovi. I like Lizzy Hale. It's not complicated music, but it's fun. (Song: I Miss The Misery)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Was that. . .was that a singing robot mime?

And I thought the internet held no more horrors.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yes, it was. They're not my taste either. But I could have posted screamo. I will say I like Abney Park, though. It's eclectic, but has a good solid beat.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 9, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Prester John posted:

Whether you enjoy this music or not, I think we can all agree that it is not poo poo

I'd rather hear the complete Galt Speech than a minute of that poo poo.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
ITT we come to grips with the fact that we used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, and what we're with isn't it, and what is it seems weird and scary.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Warcabbit posted:

Yes, it was. They're not my taste either. But I could have posted screamo.

It sounded like a fanfiction version of Bioshock music.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Swan Oat posted:

ITT we come to grips with the fact that we used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, and what we're with isn't it, and what is it seems weird and scary.
No, it is the children who are wrong.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

To get this thread back on the right-wing media track:

It's not even a "Fox is always evil" thing. It all boils down to demographics and what each demographic wants to hear.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Swan Oat posted:

It highlights that the things I loved as a teenager were generally just as horrible, but in a cooler way.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

FMguru posted:

Remember when Limp Bizkit was popular?

Rhesus Pieces posted:

To get this thread back on the right-wing media track:

It's not even a "Fox is always evil" thing. It all boils down to demographics and what each demographic wants to hear.

Jeez Ailes be a little more subtle with your social engineering.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Warcabbit posted:

Yes, it was. They're not my taste either. But I could have posted screamo. I will say I like Abney Park, though. It's eclectic, but has a good solid beat.

Screamo is literally 8 years old, it's not new in the slightest.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

There's also "raised Republican in the South, has enough sense to not want to be associated with explicit racism."

Yeah, I think most kids raised in a red state go through a libertarian shitlord phase, myself included. A lot of us grow out of it when we leave the echo chamber and actually experience humanity, thankfully.

edit: And Lindsey Stirling is amazing and I will hear nothing otherwise.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 9, 2014

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah, I think most kids raised in a red state go through a libertarian shitlord phase, myself included. A lot of us grow out of it when we leave the echo chamber and actually experience humanity, thankfully.

edit: And Lindsey Stirling is amazing and I will hear nothing otherwise.

This is my friend. Unfortunately despite being unemployed the past 8 months and living off the remainder of his student loans he hasn't changed his tune as much as I thought. He has started hating Bill O'Reilly which is a pretty big step I guess.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

And I thought the internet held no more horrors.

Why would you EVER think that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

Don't blame them, they were born after the culture went completely to poo poo. It's all they've come to expect.