Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

YOURFRIEND posted:

I installed it for free?
It's only for free for the weekend. If you want to keep it you have to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Tomb Raider, the pratfalls never stopped, A+ comedy, good game, lots of unintentional laughs and fun sequences. Dunno if I'm gonna bother exploring the secret tombs or not since they're typically just one puzzle.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?

Eruonen posted:

No, I mean the popups when someone sends you a message/plays a game/goes online (depending on your settings).

http://metroforsteam.com/ I've started using this and it's mostly really good.

Ohh okay, I have had notifications always turned off so I wouldn't know.
Yeah I am aware of the Metro skin but it doesn't really fit into my system, not even the stock Steam skin does actually...

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Metro for Steam is really good, I've been using it for awhile.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That site popped up the dude's onlive referral link. I cant trust a person who uses onlive

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've been using the other popular skin, PixelVision, and it always scares me a bit when I log into Steam on my netbook because I never bothered to install it there.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Protogalaxy is free.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Air skin represent.

Also, have been playing Driftmoon recently, and for a game that doesn't have good graphics, combat, writing, or anything really, I kind of enjoy it. It's just super chill. It's also the king of verbosity, anything that could be said in 8 words is said in 40. Still enjoying it though and am slightly perplexed as to why.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 9, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Why are there so many temporarily free games all of a sudden?

Oh no, the race to the bottom hit the bottom, Steam is now the iOS store

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

That site popped up the dude's onlive referral link. I cant trust a person who uses onlive

Sorry, Adblock must've caught that for me. If I knew I wouldn't have linked it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wish Nosgoth had a "buy this $40 pack, get all non-cosmetics free forever" like Smite does. Having to buy abilities for my loadout is kinda butts, using Abduct instead of Kidnap makes Sentinel so much more fun for me, for example.

Other than that, Nosgoth owns, it's free this weekend, try it out my friends~

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Tomb Raider, the pratfalls never stopped, A+ comedy, good game, lots of unintentional laughs and fun sequences. Dunno if I'm gonna bother exploring the secret tombs or not since they're typically just one puzzle.

I think Tomb Raider is a fantastic game, but it's definitely the type that you 100% the first time through or not at all.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
After several people said good things about The Room a few pages back I recommended it to my girlfriend. She really enjoyed it, but it was pretty short, so what other similar games are out there and good?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Is Nosgoth a moba?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Is Nosgoth a moba?

Nope. Closer to the old Vampire Slayer mod for Half-Life, but third-person.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Is Nosgoth a moba?

It's a third person Left 4 Dead versus/team deathmatch where each character has a couple of abilities and traits. So, no not really!

(edit) Except I guess in the most pedantic sense of it being multiplayer, online, and taking place in battle arenas :geno:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Nope. Closer to the old Vampire Slayer mod for Half-Life, but third-person.

oh cool. one of the tags said "moba" which is the equivalent of aids.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darkrenown posted:

After several people said good things about The Room a few pages back I recommended it to my girlfriend. She really enjoyed it, but it was pretty short, so what other similar games are out there and good?

Maybe something like safecracker?

MYST or Syberia?

If she likes puzzle games there are plenty, but I'm not sure about strictly physical ones like The Room.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's fairly bare-bones, and very much in Alpha, but if you just want something to dick around in around asteroids smashing your own self-built spaceships together, give Space Engineers a look. The developers patch it every week to add new content and squash bugs (though they release immediate hotfixes for anything critical), so it's constantly getting better.

This guy has built some of the craziest poo poo in SE, it's really fun and we have a goon server.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acquire Currency! posted:

This guy has built some of the craziest poo poo in SE, it's really fun and we have a goon server.

With SE is it the kind of game where if you don't like making every single thing yourself you're not going to have a lot of fun? The damage modeling and physics and all that look really cool, but I find crafting and construction in games super tedious except where it's trying to make specific things for an objective instead of a giant sandbox. Can you just import other players' stuff or is there a lot of prebuilt stuff or something, or would this be something I hate?

KoB
May 1, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

oh cool. one of the tags said "moba" which is the equivalent of aids.

Its 4v4 deathmatch with distinct sides (human/Vampire) and classes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be honest I would mind a game that was distilled down to "form a party of 6 RPG classes into a randomly generated dungeon and fight random encounters of monsters in turn-based tactical combat", sort of like Legend of Grimrock if it had zero puzzles, used Wizardry's combat rather than Dungeon Master's and had procedurally generated dungeons.

The only problem is that I don't really believe that developers trying such a thing would be able to pull off the retro-ness without also remembering to keep the UI and the game mechanics modern.

What would you consider modern game mechanics for such a game? First person party combat itself feels a little antiquated but I'd be curious what people considered a modern take on it to look like. Wizardry 8 seems like the last attempt to update that game concept with some good ideas as all the Japanese games are happy to stay firmly in Wizardry 4 - 6 territory without many changes. A lot of people argue about free roam vs grid based but I don't think its that important. With all the mouse clicking you need to do you can't rely on mouselook so inevitably movement ends up a bit awkward either way. Grid movement frees up the mouse all the time more easily at least.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Accordion Man posted:

Yo, if people are interested in Cloud Chamber its solid. Its an ARG where you watch videos and read documents and try to unravel the mystery of the story with other players in in-game discussion boards. It's not without its flaws, but I've enjoyed it so if it sounds interesting enough for you give it a whirl. The community hasn't solved it yet, but they might before a good sale for this comes around so that might end up being a detriment.

It's on GMG now so you can probably get an added discount off it too.

I'm so on the fence about this one. Have the developers said if they're going to just keep stacking on content once the mystery gets solved, or is the game just going to kind of die one day in the near future? Or will they--I don't know--delete stuff the community's figured out for new players, and just hope/trust that nobody ever looks anything up out-of-game...?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Just noticed that Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition has been removed from the steam store with the release of Ultra. Shame, I was hoping they'd do a sale on that to promote the upgrade from Super to Ultra.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

KoB posted:

Its 4v4 deathmatch with distinct sides (human/Vampire) and classes.

It seems like its cool in concept; but I really don't like Team Deathmatch anymore :( I hope they add some type of Attack/Defense/Escape type modes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lance Streetman posted:

Just noticed that Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition has been removed from the steam store with the release of Ultra. Shame, I was hoping they'd do a sale on that to promote the upgrade from Super to Ultra.

You're both wrong and right. They did something stupid and convoluted to the versions "so everyone can play together" by just making sure the AppID is identical without granting the new stuff, meaning that the Ultra content is now actually DLC for Ultra the game, which used to be AE but they renamed it in everyone's libraries.

I wish that was a joke.

I have no idea how pre-Arcade Edition copies are handled under this system, if they got namechanged as well.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Trustworthy posted:

I'm so on the fence about this one. Have the developers said if they're going to just keep stacking on content once the mystery gets solved, or is the game just going to kind of die one day in the near future? Or will they--I don't know--delete stuff the community's figured out for new players, and just hope/trust that nobody ever looks anything up out-of-game...?

I'm exactly the same way about Cloud Chamber. It seems like the kind of game I'm totally a sucker for (I met my wife while playing Majestic in 2001), but there seems to be little staying power, especially for people who didn't buy it immediately. Some reviews are already saying that 24 hours after the game launched it's hard to get up votes on your comments because everything's already been said (and up votes are how you unlock content).

Are there any more opinions on this game?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Limit bandwidth to:

Thank you for this, I didn't know it was possible. Now I can actually internet while downloading through Steam.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RBA Starblade posted:

With SE is it the kind of game where if you don't like making every single thing yourself you're not going to have a lot of fun? The damage modeling and physics and all that look really cool, but I find crafting and construction in games super tedious except where it's trying to make specific things for an objective instead of a giant sandbox. Can you just import other players' stuff or is there a lot of prebuilt stuff or something, or would this be something I hate?

There is a survival mode where you have to mine and have time to construct stuff. For you there is a creative mode that instantly builds whatever with infinite energy/bullets/what you need. The game is very workshop compatible so you can download hundreds of user made creations (and most recently mods) from steam workshop. I believe Seagoon makes some of his creations public. The game does have a lot of prebuilt stuff, too. Usually it's a map that tells you exactly what's in it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tippis posted:

In related news (and hoping that I haven't been blind enough not to spot it being posted before), maybe gradiants and icons isn't where the Steam team should be spending their time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfUfUc9fANc

Thanks, I need someone to spend seven minutes explaining something I can gather looking at the new releases tab.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Drifter posted:

MYST or Syberia?

If she likes puzzle games there are plenty, but I'm not sure about strictly physical ones like The Room.

She has Safecracker, but it runs like poo poo for some reason. She liked The Room because it was progressive rather than a series on different puzzles, you've got one big puzzle-thing and you unlock more and more parts of it as you go. So I guess "stuck in a place, gotta puzzle your way out of it" simulators is what I'm after.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

She has Safecracker, but it runs like poo poo for some reason. She liked The Room because it was progressive rather than a series on different puzzles, you've got one big puzzle-thing and you unlock more and more parts of it as you go. So I guess "stuck in a place, gotta puzzle your way out of it" simulators is what I'm after.

Perhaps a touch too obvious - but Portal?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Thanks, I need someone to spend seven minutes explaining something I can gather looking at the new releases tab.

You didn't watch the video, did you?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I have Ultra SSIV in my library but I'm pretty sure I haven't upgraded ?

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Drifter posted:

MYST or Syberia?

I recently tried playing Syberia but holy crap has that not aged well.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be honest I would mind a game that was distilled down to "form a party of 6 RPG classes into a randomly generated dungeon and fight random encounters of monsters in turn-based tactical combat", sort of like Legend of Grimrock if it had zero puzzles, used Wizardry's combat rather than Dungeon Master's and had procedurally generated dungeons.

The only problem is that I don't really believe that developers trying such a thing would be able to pull off the retro-ness without also remembering to keep the UI and the game mechanics modern.

I want Demise Ascension, just with random levels. If only he would release the (probably really terrible, visual basic) source code

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

PrinceRandom posted:

I have Ultra SSIV in my library but I'm pretty sure I haven't upgraded ?

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

They did something stupid and convoluted to the versions "so everyone can play together" by just making sure the AppID is identical without granting the new stuff, meaning that the Ultra content is now actually DLC for Ultra the game, which used to be AE but they renamed it in everyone's libraries.

Seriously. The dumbest loving way to handle this.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Seriously. The dumbest loving way to handle this.

Ah. Well back to waiting for the inevetible sale.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Honestly, I would have preferred it if they just gave SSFIV a permanent price-cut, and made the Ultra version the cost of that + the upgrade. Probably would have made them more money in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I can't seem to find the steam tech support thread that used to exist, can anyone help me? Every time I start steam it just closes on it's own in the background. Iv'e tried restarting and deleting clientregistry.blob, which it will not let me delete because apparently steam is still "Running" if I check my task manager. Attempting to kill the process there isn't doing anything.

The only thing out of the ordinary iv'e noticed is that it's been endlessly "unpacking" an update for Payday 2.

EDIT: Starting in offline mode and uninstalling the game worked at last, it didn't crash for once.

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 9, 2014

• Locked thread