Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
What's the go to alarm app nowadays? I used to use gentle alarm but it got harder and harder to work with so I tried timely and that doesn't work as well as gentle alarm. I've been waking up all groggy lately using the standard alarm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

i like tacos posted:

What's the go to alarm app nowadays? I used to use gentle alarm but it got harder and harder to work with so I tried timely and that doesn't work as well as gentle alarm. I've been waking up all groggy lately using the standard alarm

Warmly is my favorite. Unfortunately, it's no longer supported, but still give it a shot

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

i like tacos posted:

Timely is the new goon favorite, although I'm a heathen that just uses the default one.

Also, thank gently caress they updated Google Music to allow you to undo swiping a song away in a playlist. Although the widget is uglier now.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Gentle Alarm here. Even if the interface is still Froyoey goodness. It's never let me down and the pre-alarm nature sounds/challenges to silence the alarm are neat.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i like tacos posted:

As far as I know, Gentle Alarm and Timely are the only ones that have the "pre-alarm" thing.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Am I overlooking a basic function of my phone? I just want to set something up so that when I get to work, I only receive calls and texts. I'm not worried about email, rss updates, or any other notifications. My phone sits in a locker and I only briefly check it on break.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Postman posted:

Am I overlooking a basic function of my phone? I just want to set something up so that when I get to work, I only receive calls and texts. I'm not worried about email, rss updates, or any other notifications. My phone sits in a locker and I only briefly check it on break.

Turn off mobile data when you get to work, turn it on when you leave.

If you want to automate this process, look into either llama or Tasker.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I keep getting a periodic "click" sound through my headphones on my Nexus 5, like when I hit the back button and something closes there's a chance it'll cause my headphones to "click" when no music or anything is playing. Wondering if any of you had a similar problem and fixed it.

Can't get new headphones, this a stereo to hearing aid direct audio input set up I got going here. Never had this problem before with other phones and can't recall when it started happening. Googling says apps which use proximity sensor are the culprit but I dont have anything like that installed as far as I know.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Xachariah posted:

I keep getting a periodic "click" sound through my headphones on my Nexus 5, like when I hit the back button and something closes there's a chance it'll cause my headphones to "click" when no music or anything is playing. Wondering if any of you had a similar problem and fixed it.

Can't get new headphones, this a stereo to hearing aid direct audio input set up I got going here. Never had this problem before with other phones and can't recall when it started happening. Googling says apps which use proximity sensor are the culprit but I dont have anything like that installed as far as I know.

Could just be general interference? Some phones are shielded better than others...

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

i like tacos posted:

I used to use Gentle Alarm, but I recently switched to Sleep As Android. What you do is sit your phone on your bed and it uses the accelerometer and microphone to figure out where in your sleep cycle you are (it also does sleep analytics if you're into that). If you're in light sleep within 30 minutes prior to your alarm (or if the alarm time hits first), it wakes you.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Could just be general interference? Some phones are shielded better than others...

Nothing similar happens on other devices, is the Nexus 5 notable for audio output interference?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I used to use Gentle Alarm, but I recently switched to Sleep As Android. What you do is sit your phone on your bed and it uses the accelerometer and microphone to figure out where in your sleep cycle you are (it also does sleep analytics if you're into that). If you're in light sleep within 30 minutes prior to your alarm (or if the alarm time hits first), it wakes you.
This what I use. I feel like the sleep cycle tracking is a gimmic, I definitely don't notice waking up easier. What I do like about the alarm is just how customize able it is. Its very easy to set up recurring alarms only on certain days, but it has a lot of really cool features.
-Customize able snooze duration, including a duration that gets shorter each time you press it.
Customize able snooze limit, either based on elapsed time, or number of snoozes. Once you reach it, it won't let you snooze any more.
-Tons of different optional captcha's for turning the alarm off. Anywhere from pattern recognition to forcing you to get out of bed and scan a QR code in your bathroom.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Xachariah posted:

Is this when it's plugged in? My Galaxy Nexus does that if I'm using it while it's charging, it's like every sound opens a gate that stays open for a second after the sound ends, and there's an audible electrical sound as the audio shuts off again. Try it without the cable and see

e- might also do the same while wireless charging, too. Dodgy shielding/grounding maybe

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Is this when it's plugged in? My Galaxy Nexus does that if I'm using it while it's charging, it's like every sound opens a gate that stays open for a second after the sound ends, and there's an audible electrical sound as the audio shuts off again. Try it without the cable and see

e- might also do the same while wireless charging, too. Dodgy shielding/grounding maybe

Nah, unconnected to anything but my headphone thingy.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Can anyone point me in the direction of a trustworthy and simple tethering app?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kgibson posted:

For what phone? The built in one should work just fine.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kgibson posted:

FoxFi + PDAnet haven't let me down yet.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.key

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
I'm using a Galaxy S3 running CM. edit: and I just now realized that it had a built-in app. I'll give it a try.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Lately I've started to use a Droid for the first time, so I have zero experience with them up to this point. I used to have an iOS app called Plex that let me set up a media server on my computer. I would put movie files into a folder on my computer, and as long as I was connected to the network I could stream those movie files to my iPhone. Is there anything on Android that can do this? For free, ideally?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Lately I've started to use a Droid for the first time, so I have zero experience with them up to this point. I used to have an iOS app called Plex that let me set up a media server on my computer. I would put movie files into a folder on my computer, and as long as I was connected to the network I could stream those movie files to my iPhone. Is there anything on Android that can do this? For free, ideally?

Plex is available for Android too? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plexapp.android&hl=en

vvv eat it suckers vvv

f#a# fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 9, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Something like Plex?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Android has a Plex client.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
You may want to take a long at Plex. It's pretty good, OP.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd try Plex!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
efb efb efb efb efb efb efb have you tried Plex?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, howbout that. I did a search on my phone and nothing came up. It's possible that my phone is too old or something. I'm having a hard time even figuring out what phone I have. I believe it's a Stratosphere. Also I don't really want to buy Plex a second time. Sorry for being so dense, I've just had a iPhone up to this point.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Also I don't really want to buy Plex a second time.
Now you know what ecosystem lock is.

How did you come by this piece of poo poo phone?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just got my first Android tablet, a Gemini JoyTab Duo 9.7 Pro, and, well, it seems to be one that cheaped out on the storage front a bit. As in, it doesn't have 16GB of storage so much as 1GB of "internal" storage and 15GB of "NAND flash" storage. I can move apps to the NAND storage (which, uh, sometimes describes itself as an SD card, which it... isn't?) and they work fine, but my problem comes with apps that are too big for the internal storage - case in point, the Lone Wolf game from the latest Humble Bundle, which needs about 1.2GB. I simply can't install it.

I've spent all loving day trying out different apps and tricks that are supposed to let you install directly to SD card - or whatever - and nothing's working, the game just won't install. This is obviously going to continue to be a problem, so I want to get it sorted ASAP so I don't have to worry about it in future, I don't even care about the bloody game that much. I'm reasonably computer-literate so I thought I'd manage to navigate this fine, the tablet has superuser access and so on already, but I can't seem to get anywhere. Is there a way to repartition the hard drive or anything? Is there an app that will magically fix this? I've tried Gemini App Manager, Link2SD, ASTRO File Manager, at least three random APK installer apps, nothing. Am I hosed? Am I even asking in the right thread? I'm way over my head at this point. Sorry :negative:

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 9, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With Plex you can either take a subcription and get access to all the apps and features, or buy into them one-by-one.

Edit:

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I just got my first Android tablet, a Gemini JoyTab Duo 9.7 Pro, and, well, it seems to be one that cheaped out[...]
I hate to sound like a dick but can you just take this thing back and buy a Nexus 7 instead? Cheap android tablets from brands that nobody has ever heard of are universally terrible. Like the one you just bought.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 9, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tunga posted:

I hate to sound like a dick but can you just take this thing back and buy a Nexus 7 instead? Cheap android tablets from brands that nobody has ever heard of are universally terrible. Like the one you just bought.
Honestly considering it. I'm pretty poor, it was cheap and had decent reviews, and the main reason I got it was for uni, so other stuff is just a bonus really, but it seems like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LastInLine posted:

Now you know what ecosystem lock is.

How did you come by this piece of poo poo phone?

My iPhone was stolen so now am using this random rear end Samsung phone that was sitting in someone's drawer up til this point. All I really wanted out of it was Pandora and something similar to Plex that I didn't have to pay for.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It appears that the Samsung Stratosphere never got beyond Android 2.3. You probably won't find a ton of apps that still work with it. Don't let that turd of an OS sour you on Android as a whole because it has come a LOOOOOONG way since then.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It appears that the Samsung Stratosphere never got beyond Android 2.3. You probably won't find a ton of apps that still work with it. Don't let that turd of an OS sour you on Android as a whole because it has come a LOOOOOONG way since then.

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I just got my first Android tablet, a Gemini JoyTab Duo 9.7 Pro, and, well, it seems to be one that cheaped out on the storage front a bit. As in, it doesn't have 16GB of storage so much as 1GB of "internal" storage and 15GB of "NAND flash" storage. I can move apps to the NAND storage (which, uh, sometimes describes itself as an SD card, which it... isn't?) and they work fine, but my problem comes with apps that are too big for the internal storage - case in point, the Lone Wolf game from the latest Humble Bundle, which needs about 1.2GB. I simply can't install it.

I've spent all loving day trying out different apps and tricks that are supposed to let you install directly to SD card - or whatever - and nothing's working, the game just won't install. This is obviously going to continue to be a problem, so I want to get it sorted ASAP so I don't have to worry about it in future, I don't even care about the bloody game that much. I'm reasonably computer-literate so I thought I'd manage to navigate this fine, the tablet has superuser access and so on already, but I can't seem to get anywhere. Is there a way to repartition the hard drive or anything? Is there an app that will magically fix this? I've tried Gemini App Manager, Link2SD, ASTRO File Manager, at least three random APK installer apps, nothing. Am I hosed? Am I even asking in the right thread? I'm way over my head at this point. Sorry :negative:

Repartition it with fdisk in the adb shell. Good luck.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

Repartition it with fdisk in the adb shell. Good luck.
Cheers, this looks promising! Is there a decent guide to doing it anywhere? Can't find one and I've never really messed around with non-Windows platforms at all.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Cheers, this looks promising! Is there a decent guide to doing it anywhere? Can't find one and I've never really messed around with non-Windows platforms at all.

ADB
The guide I used. You'll need to calculate the partitions for your device. I don't know enough to help you with that.

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working

My iPhone was stolen so now am using this random rear end Samsung phone that was sitting in someone's drawer up til this point. All I really wanted out of it was Pandora and something similar to Plex that I didn't have to pay for.

Plex goes on sale once in a while. Grab AppSales and keep an eye out for it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thanks for the Tasker suggestion. Works great for what I need.

Another app request - At a certain time of the day I'd like for a picture to pop up on my phone. Think like a calendar reminder but I'd like a picture from my gallery to be associated with it. It's the same picture. Without getting into too much detail it's a mental reminder for myself about something and it would be better reinforced with an image. Any ideas of an app like that?

In practice it would be like - At 11 AM, picture XYZ.jpg from my gallery overlays the screen with an associated notification tone that I have to close before I can use the phone again.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

vyst posted:

Another app request - At a certain time of the day I'd like for a picture to pop up on my phone. Think like a calendar reminder but I'd like a picture from my gallery to be associated with it. It's the same picture. Without getting into too much detail it's a mental reminder for myself about something and it would be better reinforced with an image. Any ideas of an app like that?

In practice it would be like - At 11 AM, picture XYZ.jpg from my gallery overlays the screen with an associated notification tone that I have to close before I can use the phone again.

Is it a gif? Is it this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

vyst posted:

I kinda feel like Tasker can do that.

• Locked thread