Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure we've had fights decided on line-by-line death record before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I don't have plat. Munki, pun pundit, would the two of you like to discuss strategy or just fling poo poo at the wall and see what sticks?

My email is qbvmujnpuizxbuut@hnbjm.dpn, via a simple one-step caesar cipher.

Oh wait, you guys both already spent all your points. Yolo it is!

edit: dude I love our team.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 9, 2014

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
Holy poo poo, those places went fast. Oh well, looking forward to seeing how the fights go!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Definitely up for running some fights on Monday (assuming you want us to, Jazzimus).

Testing is nice purely for seeing what fighters can do. One of my guilty pleasures is pitting Theseus (<--That guy) against increasing numbers of Kobolds/Gremlins/Gnomes to see how many he can take at once.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

HerpicleOmicron5: Just a heads-up, the build you're working with could really benefit from an aggressive skills respec. Someone had a build very similar to yours in the previous tournament, and it turned out more like a game of whack-a-mole than a fight. Also, if the 1st set of chain mail won't do it, the 2nd or 3rd probably won't help either.
Armor directly hinders your ability to dodge, the more you're wearing, the more encumbered your fighter is.
I like the idea you're going for, but a slightly more rounded character could up our chances of not being squashed underhoof by Moocules.

-I would suggest losing a good deal of that armor, let your small stature do most of the work. (drop the extra body armor at least, but keep the helm)
-Invest in fighting, it's one of the most important skills here.
-Invest in the appropriate skill for your weapons.

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kinda happy we have our own meatshield Minotaur to help us out. Go, team!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^x2 One of the big lessons from previous tourneys is that is doesn't matter if you're coated in adamantium, if you're knocked off your feet your chances of winning drop drastically.

I'd say that your best defense as a small fighter is not getting caught by a charge, and avoiding straight attacks. Dodge is your friend. (NB this may not apply to 3-on-3 fights.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope to see people trying bizarre and apparently dumb combinations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Based on my team preview I can guarantee it.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Kobold samurai suit you?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That sounds pretty good, but I would like it even more if he was the only melee fighter backed up by two unarmoured bowmen.

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER

goatface posted:

That sounds pretty good, but I would like it even more if he was the only melee fighter backed up by two unarmoured bowmen.

Yeti bowmen.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That would be good. Just to see if Toady's got around to strength affecting bow damage yet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If it's dumb you want, I've got you covered. You can always count on me for that.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Speaking of wrestling, a quick balance question.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wrestling posted:

Currently most creatures (everything except humans, goblins, kobolds, elves and dwarves) do not have joints, which means they are immune to joint locks and breaking limbs through wrestling.

Is this still in effect in the arena build being used for the tournament?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

King Cohort posted:

Speaking of wrestling, a quick balance question.

Is this still in effect in the arena build being used for the tournament?

If this is still the case for 40.06, since the old Voxmod changes didn't address it (as it wasn't a problem in DF2010), neither had I.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. I'll have a look at the raws and see if I can figure out what's going on there.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

goatface posted:

I have submitted Prancer III. Previous Prancers have won a match by slowly beating a goblin to death with a crossbow, and shattering a yeti's spine with a stack of crossbow bolts (no actual crossbow was used).

I have decided to go in a different direction this time, but I am happy that Prancer III is the most prancing of Prancers I have made.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Bene Elim posted:

Definitely up for running some fights on Monday (assuming you want us to, Jazzimus).

Testing is nice purely for seeing what fighters can do. One of my guilty pleasures is pitting Theseus (<--That guy) against increasing numbers of Kobolds/Gremlins/Gnomes to see how many he can take at once.

Well you let us know if our team tests well then!

Or more importantly if they test badly.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I want to rename my fighter to 'ramming speed' so if you think my fighter is a brilliant build then I don't even know wtf.

My team is looking... unique for sure. And I am not even the funniest one.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

I want to rename my fighter to 'ramming speed' so if you think my fighter is a brilliant build then I don't even know wtf.

My team is looking... unique for sure. And I am not even the funniest one.

I can rename your fighter for you if you're dead serious about this.

I haven't designed an interface for that kind of poo poo, so I have to go in and modify the database directly, so I don't want to just do it all the time.

And, for what it's worth, the last time I did this, it was just before the last tournament started, and it was to rename a strangler named Dr Strangelove (like the classic Kubrick movie, happy 50th anniversary) to Dr Stranglelove (like the champion of the last tournament), so maybe it brings good luck or something oh god now everyone is going to want to do it

Anyway, let me know if you really want to change his name. I'll only do this for players once per tournament, and only before the first match of the tournament starts. :colbert:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2014

Ninjavitis
Jan 19, 2008
Mighty Team 6, I will shoot at things on our behalf! Some of them might even include the other team.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Pulver Ising and the Wild Animals are coming for YOU.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: /!\ REMINDER: YOU CAN RENAME YOUR TEAM IF IT'S JUST TEAM NUMBER AND YOU OR A TEAMMATE HAVEN'T RENAMED IT ALREADY/!\ :siren:

Click on the link for your team, either from your fighter's management panel, or from "View Schedule" or "View Standings" for the current tournament under "View Tournaments", and there should be a link that allows you to rename your team.

But hey, if you and your teammates like something as creative as, say, "Team 17", then go ahead and stick with it. There are no rules against that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I went to rename my team fartboners but someone had already beat me to it.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

I went to rename my team fartboners but someone had already beat me to it.

Although fighter names are required to be globally unique, team names are only required to be unique within a given tournament.

If someone named a team fartboners in a previous tournament, feel free to name your team fartboners in this tournament... as long as another team in the current tournament doesn't already have that name.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Also you can still rename your team without any input from the other 2 guys. For instance, I renamed mine from "spermy sucks" to "daggum polecats", because I harbor no strong feelings about spermy.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Ignite Memories posted:

Also you can still rename your team without any input from the other 2 guys. For instance, I renamed mine from "spermy sucks" to "daggum polecats", because I harbor no strong feelings about spermy.

Up until the first match of the tournament takes place, yes, you can all do this. (After the tournament starts, this is no longer the case.)

Here's hoping you and your teammates agree on a name, because the tournament currently doesn't have any concept of "captains" or any such thing. All are equal in the arenas of Dwarfhalla.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

King Cohort posted:

Pulver Ising and the Wild Animals are coming for YOU.

One-Eyed Willie's spear is polished and ready to penetrate deep inside the opposition!

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Aww, drat it! I forgot about this and missed out on registration. I'm eager to start new bloodshed. :black101:

Thanks for all the hard work, Jazzimus!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

:siren: /!\ REMINDER: YOU CAN RENAME YOUR TEAM IF IT'S JUST TEAM NUMBER AND YOU OR A TEAMMATE HAVEN'T RENAMED IT ALREADY/!\ :siren:

Click on the link for your team, either from your fighter's management panel, or from "View Schedule" or "View Standings" for the current tournament under "View Tournaments", and there should be a link that allows you to rename your team.

But hey, if you and your teammates like something as creative as, say, "Team 17", then go ahead and stick with it. There are no rules against that.

I wanted to rename my team to "The Good, The Bad, And Johnny loving Bravo", but the character limit was too short :saddowns:

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I can rename your fighter for you if you're dead serious about this.

I haven't designed an interface for that kind of poo poo, so I have to go in and modify the database directly, so I don't want to just do it all the time.

And, for what it's worth, the last time I did this, it was just before the last tournament started, and it was to rename a strangler named Dr Strangelove (like the classic Kubrick movie, happy 50th anniversary) to Dr Stranglelove (like the champion of the last tournament), so maybe it brings good luck or something oh god now everyone is going to want to do it

Anyway, let me know if you really want to change his name. I'll only do this for players once per tournament, and only before the first match of the tournament starts. :colbert:

gently caress it, can you change Lord Pulver Ising Esq. to just "King"? Go all the way or go home.

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 9, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ablative posted:

I wanted to rename my team to "The Good, The Bad, And Johnny loving Bravo", but the character limit was too short :saddowns:

Why not "The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo?"

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Do the combat logs feature character dialogue as prominently as they do in the most recent DF iteration?

If so, then it begs the question: Can we custom edit our battlecries? "FOR NILBOG!" :orks:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

apostateCourier posted:

Why not "The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo?"

Done

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

Awesome! I think that means our team is ready for Monday now.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

:bravo: I'm no longer rooting for my team.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

King Cohort posted:

gently caress it, can you change Lord Pulver Ising Esq. to just "King"? Go all the way or go home.

It looks like that name hadn't been taken already, so... there you go.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_fighter.php?528

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It looks like that name hadn't been taken already, so... there you go.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_fighter.php?528

Can you change "Size Doesn't Matter's" name to Whip it out ?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

unwantedplatypus posted:

Can you change "Size Doesn't Matter's" name to Whip it out ?

Oh, what the hell. Fine, it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The Cave Pals Friend Squad is ready for fun times and new buddies!

Neurion posted:

One-Eyed Willie's spear is polished and ready to penetrate deep inside the opposition!

That had better be a wooden spear

• Locked thread