Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Zaheer is just a straight-up great villain. Some of his essential core beliefs have real merit -- like freedom is a right not a privilege, freeing people from tyranny, etc. -- but then you have the poo poo like "chaos is the best system, hands down" and "kill all authority figures." Makes me really suspicious about Zuko suddenly being involved in everything this season. He might not be a world leader any more, but he's a former Fire Lord and may end up on Zaheer's radar.

The one thing I really hope we don't see is the Red Lotus group broken up. It might be tempting for the writers to break Ghazan and Ming-Hua away from Zaheer's increasingly-brutal revolution and maybe even have P'Li forsake him in the end to show how far gone he is, but I hope that instead we see them sticking together until the bitter end. Having people jumping off the crazy train before it derailed worked really well when Mai and Ty Lee acted against Azula, I just don't see how something like that could work again. As it is, in season 1 the Lieutenant turned on Amon when he was revealed to be a fraud, and I don't think they'll go at quite that angle again. It would just end up being the cheesy trope of the Good Guys convincing some of the Big Bad Villain's lackeys that Good is truly the best and Evil should be opposed! But the way Ghazan and Ming-Hua were presented in this episode and how ruthless Zaheer is trending, the fracturing of the Red Lotus seems like a real possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm curious to see how Bolin is actually going to metalbend at this point. They've set that gun up so prominently it is is a just a matter of when it fires at this point

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see how Bolin is actually going to metalbend at this point. They've set that gun up so prominently it is is a just a matter of when it fires at this point

He's going to metalbend up a gun :haw:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
On my second watch, the opening scene is pretty funny when that guy who imprisons korra is reciting all the elements. " no water bending, earth bending or fire bending. But there's nothing you can do about air "

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, I feel it's a red herring. Him managing to metalbend in a critical moment would feel like a copy-paste of Korra learning airbending in Book 1. What I believe/hope for is this : it will be revealed that he just doesn't have what it takes to be a metalbender, but could end up being able to lavabend. Notably, many people have already pointed out that Ghazan has a very mobile, acrobatic fighting style rather unusual for earthbenders, and Bolin also happens to fight like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

On my second watch, the opening scene is pretty funny when that guy who imprisons korra is reciting all the elements. " no water bending, earth bending or fire bending. But there's nothing you can do about air "

Nothing they can do about metalbending either

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

X_Toad posted:

I don't know, I feel it's a red herring. Him managing to metalbend in a critical moment would feel like a copy-paste of Korra learning airbending in Book 1. What I believe/hope for is this : it will be revealed that he just doesn't have what it takes to be a metalbender, but could end up being able to lavabend. Notably, many people have already pointed out that Ghazan has a very mobile, acrobatic fighting style rather unusual for earthbenders, and Bolin also happens to fight like that.

I think it's less that he'll be able to suddenly do it the critical moment, and more that something will convince him that he can do it. The focus so far has mostly been on the fact that Bolin seems convinced that he doesn't have the potential, which is what is ultimately holding him back.

I am 100% behind tossing him lava bending, though. :black101:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sydin posted:

I am also behind it, if only to give the censors something to think about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if lava bending could be something that is the result of being the son of an Earthbender and a Firebender. Like, you can't actually bend fire but you've got more of an affinity for it than a regular Earthbender. That'd give Bolin a reason to be able to do it when nobody else can.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if lava bending could be something that is the result of being the son of an Earthbender and a Firebender. Like, you can't actually bend fire but you've got more of an affinity for it than a regular Earthbender. That'd give Bolin a reason to be able to do it when nobody else can.
The idea of lavabending being the result of mixed parentage is ridiculous. Ghazan is state-shifting the earth into molten rock. It's like saying that a waterbender must have half-airbending parentage if they're able to bend steam.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The idea of lavabending being the result of mixed parentage is ridiculous. Ghazan is state-shifting the earth into molten rock. It's like saying that a waterbender must have half-airbending parentage if they're able to bend steam.

The son of a waterbender and an earthbender can bend trees.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Why, precisely? We already know that special kinds of bending are genetically passed down since Amon's entire family had psychic bloodbending, and lavabending is presumably a type of special bending considering that we've never seen anyone else do it and it seems like a fairly obvious concept if it is just phase-shifting.

I'm not saying "it has to be this or it makes no sense" but it would tie together with Bolin's family plotline too. Of course, him metalbending at the most dramatic moment is still more likely because they won't have to get around S&P with a hero throwing flaming lava shurikens at his enemies.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 9, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Why, precisely? We already know that special kinds of bending are genetically passed down since Amon's entire family had psychic bloodbending, and lavabending is presumably a type of special bending considering that we've never seen anyone else do it and it seems like a fairly obvious concept if it is just phase-shifting.

I'm not saying "it has to be this or it makes no sense" but it would tie together with Bolin's family plotline too. Of course, him metalbending at the most dramatic moment is still more likely because they won't have to get around S&P with a hero throwing flaming lava shurikens at his enemies.

Obviously Ghazan is secretly Bolin's real dad :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I just watched the episode. Those earthbender airmen are pretty cool. :3:

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is word for this kind of thing its a Kekkei Genkai.
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kekkei_Genkai

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Or maybe nobody really sat down and thought about state-shifting solid rock to lava before Ghazan did. People have stumbled upon inventions before, and sometimes it's even an "I can't believe nobody thought of that before!" sort of deal. It's entirely conceivable that for the vast period of history, people simply stuck to the traditions of "Punch move rock".

One question: If Sand is just particles of earth, what was stopping Korra from just bending the sand? Arguably detecting impurities in metal is harder than just bending a whole lot of loose silica, so if she can bend metal, why not bend sand?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sandbenders exist but it's pretty obviously a niche and unintuitive technique. If I recall correctly, Toph had serious difficulty in the desert because the sand wasn't as solid as normal earth - she couldn't bend it effectively and her radar-senses were almost entirely disabled.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

DrSunshine posted:

Or maybe nobody really sat down and thought about state-shifting solid rock to lava before Ghazan did. People have stumbled upon inventions before, and sometimes it's even an "I can't believe nobody thought of that before!" sort of deal. It's entirely conceivable that for the vast period of history, people simply stuck to the traditions of "Punch move rock".

One question: If Sand is just particles of earth, what was stopping Korra from just bending the sand? Arguably detecting impurities in metal is harder than just bending a whole lot of loose silica, so if she can bend metal, why not bend sand?

Its probably hard because you have to lift a lot of individual pieces all at once. A sandbender would probably need to split their focus in a lot of little ways at once, while a metalbender would simply need to laser-focus on a few tight points.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hm, that makes sense. I have to say that of the bending styles, I enjoy Earth and Water more than Air and Fire, because they're so versatile and adaptable. You can imagine that perhaps Sandbending is a bit more like Waterbending or Airbending, while Lavabending is more like Firebending. Icebending is very common, but you can imagine if a waterbender just really loved throwing chunks of glacier at people, he might have more in common with Earthbenders, or if a dude really had a knack for scalding folks with jets of superheated steam, he might have more in common with Firebenders. All the variations makes for a system that's really interesting to think about.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 9, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Bee posted:

Its probably hard because you have to lift a lot of individual pieces all at once. A sandbender would probably need to split their focus in a lot of little ways at once, while a metalbender would simply need to laser-focus on a few tight points.

I think this is why Bolin won't be able to Metalbend, he can't laser-focus like that.

Seriously though, they've been building it up to an obvious "if you just believe in yourself you can do anything!" conclusion and that just doesn't feel right. What I think, and hope, they do is have him pick up Lavabending and just flatly not be able to Metalbend ever. Change the message to "there are some things you just can't do in life, but everybody has something special they can do you just have to find yours" which is both more realistic and probably more positive.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I think this is why Bolin won't be able to Metalbend, he can't laser-focus like that.

Actually I think they have been showing that and building up to it. Remember all those times that they had Bolin hit someone with a super-precise small shot of rock? Him cracking metalbending might have him remember how to focus deeply and accurately drawing on his experience with pinpoint earthbending techniques.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

There is word for this kind of thing its a Kekkei Genkai.
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kekkei_Genkai

No, do not legitimize use of anime Japanese phrases. Even use a phrase like genetic inheritance or some else but not this.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

pentyne posted:

No, do not legitimize use of anime Japanese phrases. Even use a phrase like genetic inheritance or some else but not this.

It's tottemo kakkoi if you use nihongo, baka.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

It's tottemo kakkoi if you use nihongo, baka.
Book 4 thread title found.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

DrSunshine posted:

Actually I think they have been showing that and building up to it. Remember all those times that they had Bolin hit someone with a super-precise small shot of rock? Him cracking metalbending might have him remember how to focus deeply and accurately drawing on his experience with pinpoint earthbending techniques.

Yeah, you're right. I'd forgotten about all of his sniper-bending. Still, I like the message of having him right about being unable to learn Metalbending but still learning something new better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sydin posted:

I think it's less that he'll be able to suddenly do it the critical moment, and more that something will convince him that he can do it. The focus so far has mostly been on the fact that Bolin seems convinced that he doesn't have the potential, which is what is ultimately holding him back.

It'll be to save Opal.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Book 4 thread title found.

omae to boku wa tomodachi ni nareru.

Shoot, is that too far??

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Potsticker posted:

omae to boku wa tomodachi ni nareru.

Shoot, is that too far??

Probably, we're here to debate about anarchists and murder-suicides, not friendship!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: On second thought, nah.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoctorWhat posted:

Sandbenders exist but it's pretty obviously a niche and unintuitive technique. If I recall correctly, Toph had serious difficulty in the desert because the sand wasn't as solid as normal earth - she couldn't bend it effectively and her radar-senses were almost entirely disabled.

Yea sandbenders seem to be the Avatar world version of Bedouin, a bunch of dudes in their own super insular society who have adapted to their environment and everyone else really can't figure out about.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Earth is next in the avatar cycle, right? I'd love if we got a sandbending avatar if there's ever a third series. Or a swampbender.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Earth is next in the avatar cycle, right? I'd love if we got a sandbending avatar if there's ever a third series. Or a swampbender.

Swampbenders are waterbenders, but if we ever see far enough in the future for the cycle to wrap around to water again a swampbender avatar would rule.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Man, that episode was just straight up dedicated to never saying "die", wasn't it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Man, that episode was just straight up dedicated to never saying "die", wasn't it.

It was pretty hilarious honestly.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Legend of Korra: Never Say Die

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

I fully support this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So one thing I can't stop thinking about is that this episode, unless Ghazan and Ming-Hua were lying, confirms that only Zaheer can go to the spirit world, and if that's the case and their stories were true, how pissed off will they be when they find out Zaheer spent thirteen years yucking it up in the spirit world, probably partying with Iroh in ways the physical world cannot begin to comprehend?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Fifty Three posted:

Legend of Korra: There Is Only ... Darkness

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 9, 2014

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So one thing I can't stop thinking about is that this episode, unless Ghazan and Ming-Hua were lying, confirms that only Zaheer can go to the spirit world, and if that's the case and their stories were true, how pissed off will they be when they find out Zaheer spent thirteen years yucking it up in the spirit world, probably partying with Iroh in ways the physical world cannot begin to comprehend?

I'm pretty sure the spirit stuff only came when he got airbending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
People seem to hate the whole "darkness" thing, but even though I knew it was just tip-toeing around the word "death" it still fit. Hell, it even showed her blacking out as she became more and more oxygen starved. Line was great, yo.

• Locked thread