Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cassa posted:

other than maybe a joke Australian list (is that even a thing?)

There's an Australian list in the North Africa book I want to get, but I'm not sure how good it is. I still just have Open Fire as well, and while I too like the idea of a Russian army, I'm planning on fleshing out a British army from there instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

Only if Gavrilo Princip is still holding a half-eaten sandwich in his off hand :colbert:

That would be a great model for North Star's tea-drinking line of minis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cassa posted:

What do I have to roll to make Ferdinand take someone competent with him?

Been instructed I should turn my 2010 Flames of War starter into an actual starting point for the game. This is annoying, because Russians are the most interesting army to me, other than maybe a joke Australian list (is that even a thing?)

There are other historical systems that seem more interesting, but this is one has a bit of a community around here, so some starting advice would be great.
You mean the one that came with three resin Shermans? "Lend-lease". BAM, Russian.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Unf, finally available for pre-order: foot knights. I personally think they look amazing:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh god.... I just had a horrible thought. Given Battlefront's treatment of various SS "heroes" in FoW, what are the chances that if Great War gets some momentum going the Austro-Hungarians will have an Artillery Corporal Warrior?

Ugh holy poo poo. Didn't he also frequently (and pointlessly) risk his life to "save" dead officers? That would be a baffling special rule.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Cassa posted:

Been instructed I should turn my 2010 Flames of War starter into an actual starting point for the game. This is annoying, because Russians are the most interesting army to me, other than maybe a joke Australian list (is that even a thing?)

There are other historical systems that seem more interesting, but this is one has a bit of a community around here, so some starting advice would be great.

The Soviets used tons of Shermans, those shermans may not be the right model that was shipped to the Soviets but nobody will notice or care if you painted them up as Soviets. Going to need 2 more for a minimum sized company though.

Also in late war many soviet lists have an option for a "Decoy Tank Platoon" which is composed of up to 3 captured German Tanks. Both of your StuG's can be used in this platoon. Pick up another StuG, Panther, Tiger or a Panzer IV to complete it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Re: Australians, the term is 'ANZAC' and they're cool.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Numlock posted:

The Soviets used tons of Shermans, those shermans may not be the right model that was shipped to the Soviets but nobody will notice or care if you painted them up as Soviets. Going to need 2 more for a minimum sized company though.

Also in late war many soviet lists have an option for a "Decoy Tank Platoon" which is composed of up to 3 captured German Tanks. Both of your StuG's can be used in this platoon. Pick up another StuG, Panther, Tiger or a Panzer IV to complete it.

Aren't there regular captures platoons? The Soviets used plenty of StuGs, with the added bonus of getting to paint giant red stars all over them to prevent being shot by friendlies (they still got shot by friendlies).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

Aren't there regular captures platoons? The Soviets used plenty of StuGs, with the added bonus of getting to paint giant red stars all over them to prevent being shot by friendlies (they still got shot by friendlies).

Of course not, the Soviets were far too stupid to use captured Aryan equipment :rolleye:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why settle for inferior German machinery?

Alright, you've all pointed out how I'm not in a bad spot like I thought. Would grabbing the new starter be a good next step? I hear it comes with way more infantry and tanks than the one I got.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It gets you a nice small rulebook to carry around and more Lend-Lease and captured stuff to use. You can probably trade off the rest of the minis to someone who is interested or just make a couple of armies for yourself. Maybe split it with a friend or whatever.

Basically, it's a good box.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I actually picked it up just for Germans to ally with my Romanians. I had a coupon, and it wound up working out to just over what I'd be paying for the regular kits, so why not get twice as much?

Here's a quick question: How big are the FoW circular flight base bases?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I would probably skip it unless you want a rule book real bad right now. Other than the 6 shermans it comes with it there isn't really anything for soviets in there. BF did however just release a new plastic sherman box set. These are not the open fire shermans and they look sweet.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=4384 Once again not the exact right sherman for lend lease but also nobody will care.

You can also order the paper-back rule book (It is the full rule book) separately now, its 15 bucks.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I don't believe there are in FoW.

The Decoy tank platoon can infiltrate other tank platoons though, which is cool.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cassa posted:

Why settle for inferior German machinery?

It tessellates well.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Everything does under the mighty IS-2's tread! :ussr:

Numlock posted:

I would probably skip it unless you want a rule book real bad right now. Other than the 6 shermans it comes with it there isn't really anything for soviets in there. BF did however just release a new plastic sherman box set. These are not the open fire shermans and they look sweet.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=4384 Once again not the exact right sherman for lend lease but also nobody will care.

You can also order the paper-back rule book (It is the full rule book) separately now, its 15 bucks.

Hmm, might go to flgs and have a poke about. Get some infantry stands and T-34-85's.

Also I should point out that I loving love mechanised/motorised armies, foot slogging is never not dumb. Is this something the Russians can do reasonably effectively?

Edit: No luck on the stands, bought the starter set, t-34 company and some trucks. Friend has told me he's interested in the German and Allied forces, but might have to keep some Germans to run as Spetsnaz.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 8, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cassa posted:

Everything does under the mighty IS-2's tread! :ussr:

Hmm, might go to flgs and have a poke about. Get some infantry stands and T-34-85's.

Also I should point out that I loving love mechanised/motorised armies, foot slogging is never not dumb. Is this something the Russians can do reasonably effectively?

Edit: No luck on the stands, bought the starter set, t-34 company and some trucks. Friend has told me he's interested in the German and Allied forces, but might have to keep some Germans to run as Spetsnaz.

The Russians can get a truck company but those trucks aren't going to help a lot because the trucks are going to be even more vulnerable than the blob infantry.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

There's the Rota Razvedki company also, and they're not bad since they can get integrated flamethrower support.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
The Black Powder American War of Independence expansion is out today. I'm definitely going to get it and start collecting a 6mm Colonial force for the ruleset. Time to figure out a vendor...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The Black Powder American War of Independence expansion is out today. I'm definitely going to get it and start collecting a 6mm Colonial force for the ruleset. Time to figure out a vendor...

After a brief glance, is it the same conundrum as for 6mm Napoleonics? As in, Adler or Baccus?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

It is, although I like the cartoony big heads of Adler, I'm going to go Bacchus. My buddy really prefers those and there is a big enough size difference that I'd rather our two forces look somewhat uniform.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

It is, although I like the cartoony big heads of Adler, I'm going to go Bacchus. My buddy really prefers those and there is a big enough size difference that I'd rather our two forces look somewhat uniform.

I like the more active poses of Adler, but Baccus are easy to paint. I might experiment at some point with adding some Adler to my Baccus British Nappys, just to see how glaring the size difference is.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Panzeh posted:

The Russians can get a truck company but those trucks aren't going to help a lot because the trucks are going to be even more vulnerable than the blob infantry.

The real answer, of course, is to simply mount all your infantry on your AFVs. Tank Riders, ho! :mil101:

Edit: Is there any Soviet unit that gets to retain their 3+ save while Tank Riding like Irish Guards and US Task Force Riders?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dirt Worshipper posted:

My copy is on the way, although it's doubtful I'll play. I do have some huge 10mm forces, but I sort of prefer 28mm, and do not have nearly enough space for a 28mm Black Powder game.

I also ordered enough stuff to finish up my British 500 pt force in Bolt Action! as well as two other 500 point forces (German and Russian) because I am insane.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Im going to have to buy the Colonial Supplemnent too.

And to further divert the chat away from 40KWW2 Im equally excited for this.

http://www.sagatapestry.com/2014/06/review-of-saga-cresent-cross-book.html

Sagas new rule set (well its not really, and then again its not really a supplement either like eveyrthing thats gone before, more Saga 1.5) that covers the Crusades and El Cid is out.

I think Im going to magnetize the shields on my Breton cav to swap them out for Norman shields so I can use them for a Spanish El Cid force, then get some Moors. Mind you the Mutatawwi’a look awesome- like Viking Muslim fanatics!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A buddy of mine is huge in to both 40k (the only gaming he's done) and the Crusades, so I have convinced him to get Saga: C&C with me.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Colonial Air Force posted:

A buddy of mine is huge in to both 40k (the only gaming he's done) and the Crusades, so I have convinced him to get Saga: C&C with me.

Nice one!

Man Im looking at Gripping Beasts Crusaders and Saracens though and getting a bit moist.

I think GB do plastic Arab infantry too.

Then again a Almoravid Black Guard force would own too.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 8, 2014

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

My copy is on the way, although it's doubtful I'll play. I do have some huge 10mm forces, but I sort of prefer 28mm, and do not have nearly enough space for a 28mm Black Powder game.

I also ordered enough stuff to finish up my British 500 pt force in Bolt Action! as well as two other 500 point forces (German and Russian) because I am insane.

Yeah that's the reason my friend and I are going for 6mm. I hope I didn't come across as sarcastic before, if you're ever in the Bay Area drop me a line at evan.bale@gmail.com if you want to play BA or M&T.

E: And I'm really excited for Crescent and Cross as well.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Could you do me a favor and let me know what formations they allow in the AWI expansion? I'm trying to figure out how to base for it, will be useful to know if there's anything besides line, skirmish, march column.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Not much else was in the 1764 manual, or Von Steuben's drill. There are some light infantry tactics of the day, like open order.

But yes, it said it shipped, so once I have it I can. Of course it's coming from the UK so I Serotonin may get it first.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I just bought the Great War. Or at least half of it. The LGS claims the German set hasn't been released yet, but the FoW forums claim it should be hitting shelves and doorsteps next week.

So, here it is;

And, uhh... that's a strange way of doing things

No, I didn't buy a second set of everything, this is actually how everything is packaged inside the box set, full on blisters with the SKU labels attached on the back.

Here's the Mark IVs. Multi-piece resin (the Whippet has metal tracks), and I will probably magnetize things so I can swap M/F on the fly. And, no, no magnets included as was speculated by some.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They do it that way so they don't need separate packaging later when the main set is no longer available.

Although they'll have to change it anyway, because it says, "THE WORLD WAR II MINIATURES GAME" at the bottom. :downs:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Serotonin posted:

Im going to have to buy the Colonial Supplemnent too.

And to further divert the chat away from 40KWW2 Im equally excited for this.

Some of us have to ease in with gateway drugs :argh: My bad for making the thread all about me and my wants.

I do intend to subvert all the local FOW groups into I Ain't Been Shot Mum instead.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 9, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin is being a curmudgeon, you can chat about Flames of War all you want.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We did up a Bolt Action battle report. I narrated so sorry about my shaky rear end cam. Hope you like it.

I was looking through BTDs character models last week and saw some German dude who seemed cool. Checked him out on Wikipedia and apparently he gulaged a lot of people. Not sure why they chose to make a model of him. I guess there is a market for everything.

Fresh Coast Gaming Bolt Action Battle Report #92: http://youtu.be/qKqB002D2qU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Serotonin is being a curmudgeon, you can chat about Flames of War all you want.

If Serotonin wants to sass, I will sass right back.

This is all his fault with his constant talking about awesome looking historical games.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Has anyone used Wayland games? I am looking into getting the Great War box sets and using Wayland games saves me $20 over directly ordering from Battlefront themselves (they both ship from England anyways).

Numlock
May 19, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

Has anyone used Wayland games? I am looking into getting the Great War box sets and using Wayland games saves me $20 over directly ordering from Battlefront themselves (they both ship from England anyways).

All I've ever heard about wayland games was negative. Never used them though as I'm not in the UK.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

No Pun Intended posted:

What country are you in or what continent are you on?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

YF19pilot posted:

What country are you in or what continent are you on?

I am all the way down in New Zealand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Cassa posted:

Some of us have to ease in with gateway drugs :argh: My bad for making the thread all about me and my wants.

I do intend to subvert all the local FOW groups into I Ain't Been Shot Mum instead.

If they haven't already converted to Bolt Action (happened to a few groups in my area for various reasons) then you will have better luck selling halal pork.