Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Batman/Superman isn't going to bomb in the least bit but if it did that would be awesome because gently caress DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Batman/Superman isn't going to bomb in the least bit but if it did that would be awesome because gently caress DC.

DC has dick all to do with the movie. Outside of just owning the characters, the movie is all WB.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The Question IRL posted:

And the other thing is, Warner Brothers did buckle on this point.

Batman V Superman has been flying around for a long while now (since Comicon of last year I think.) It had been announced even before Captain America 2 was released.

They originally had a 2015 release date, which got pushed back to May 2016 all the way back in January of this year.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/batman-vs-superman-release-date-pushed-back.html

So prior to Winter Soldier launching and the decision being made to make a Cap 3, Superman V Batman is set for May 2016. Then after Winter Soldier is a hit and Marvel decide to do a Cap 3 as part of it's Phase 3 (which was always likely to happen, but not full on guaranteed until they made sure that Cap didn't hugely bomb.) they put it to the May 2016 date as a challenge to Batman V Superman and Warner Brothers.

And now, WB who had that date booked all the way back in January decide to change it to March, of course it will look like they are buckling. They had the date first, Marvel come along, announce the same date and then DC change. Whether they did change out of fear or not is irrelevant, the public perception (as how the story is being reported) is that they did it out of fear.

It's like, Apple launch a new iPhone every October. If I announce that I will also be putting a new Smartphone out in October of 2015 and Apple then decide to shift their launch date to September, it's going to look like they moved it out of fear.

You've got it backwards. Marvel first claimed the 5/6/16 date for a then-TBA film back in June of last year; it was WB that started the game of release-date chicken by overconfidently moving BvS to that date.

Cap 3 opening on that date was also unofficially confirmed weeks before TWS opened, so I don't think Marvel was particularly worried about the latter bombing.

(Incidentally, the official line from WB on this is that their "reconnaissance" suggested Marvel might not actually have a film ready for 5/6/16, but it seems improbably stupid that WB would actually believe that, so I suspect it's just PR spin.)

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 8, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish they called him Captain Marvel still, announced the movie under that name, and a month later Marvel announces its own Captain Marvel, for the same date, and neither company flinches.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

NienNunb posted:

It won't bomb, but there is a chance it could under perform. WB has shown that with under performing movies like Green Lantern, Golden Compass, and Superman Returns that they'll scrap a franchise if it doesn't get them the money they want.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

BvS is going to slay at the box office, it's the two most iconic, popular superheroes in the world.

Guardians of the Galaxy is going to fail, it doesn't have any popular superheroes in it.

Also, while Batman is probably the most popular Superhero in the world, I'd guess Spider-man is more popular than Superman.

And literally nobody here thinks it's going to bomb. The question is whether it will underperform.

The Action Man posted:

It won't bomb, but there is a chance it could under perform. WB has shown that with under performing movies like Green Lantern, Golden Compass, and Superman Returns that they'll scrap a franchise if it doesn't get them the money they want.
I think they were right on Green Lantern. A sequel to that movie would likely do really, really poorly.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

BvS is going to slay at the box office, it's the two most iconic, popular superheroes in the world.

There's making a lot of money and then there's making so much money that the brand propels lesser properties into the record setting areas. Iron Man 1 and 2 went from a global take of around 600M each to a post-avengers IM3 take of 1.2B. Man of steel made money for WB but I'm betting they were kinda sad that it only made 670M global (less than 300 domestic) instead of the 1B that the DK movies made.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is going to fail, it doesn't have any popular superheroes in it.

Also, while Batman is probably the most popular Superhero in the world, I'd guess Spider-man is more popular than Superman.

And literally nobody here thinks it's going to bomb. The question is whether it will underperform.

What's more, the definition of "underperform" depends on WB's expectations. They clearly want that Avengers money, which is why we're getting BvS: We Don't Need to Put "League" in the Subtitle in 2016 instead of Man of Steel 2.

I'm not saying that they're necessarily expecting $1.5 billion worldwide out of it, but they might actually be less than thrilled with "only" $1 billion.

In any event, I can't see BvS grossing any less than $750 million worldwide. Batman and Superman on screen together for the first time, plus what will no doubt be an absolutely massive marketing campaign, will guarantee that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Barry Convex posted:

In any event, I can't see BvS grossing any less than $750 million worldwide. Batman and Superman on screen together for the first time, plus what will no doubt be an absolutely massive marketing campaign, will guarantee that.
The real problem the film is going to have is the horrible plague that will wipe out most of humanity right as the ad campaign is ramping up. Although I'm not sure how far in the process Times Square billboards are.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

theflyingorc posted:

I think they were right on Green Lantern. A sequel to that movie would likely do really, really poorly.

The saddest thing about Green Lantern was all the statements they released to the press talking about what they were going to do in the sequel.

I just wish they had admitted up front that the franchise was DOA; the denial was like WB telling us that they didn't have a problem and they could start a franchise anytime they wanted to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shindragon posted:

So should be the thread change be to American isn't Ready for a Black Dr. Strange?

I'd answer this if I could parse this sentence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty much the only thing I didn't like about Guardians was the lack of the Nova Corps in the sense of flying around dudes with lazer hands. But it looks like they were considering RR-esque guys in the movie at one point, as some concept art of them has come out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Pretty much the only thing I didn't like about Guardians was the lack of the Nova Corps in the sense of flying around dudes with lazer hands. But it looks like they were considering RR-esque guys in the movie at one point, as some concept art of them has come out.

Nova was in an earlier version of the script. Gunn doesn't like him though, and took him out.

That's the only thing I'm mad at Gunn for.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

greatn posted:

I wish they called him Captain Marvel still, announced the movie under that name, and a month later Marvel announces its own Captain Marvel, for the same date, and neither company flinches.

If they did this and both movies were successful every movie from then on would be called Captain Marvel. Going to the movies would turn into a game of Russian Roulette.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Action Man posted:

Having Chris Terrio onboard gives me hope that the writing in BvS will be tight, considering how good Argo was.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know, I can kind of see why Nova isn't in the film. He's generally a really powerful character and the Guardians, while either highly skilled, enhanced, or super powered, aren't gently caress-off type of powers. I think having Nova in the film would have to deal with the question "Why doesn't he just Cosmic Power his way out of it and save the day?".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know, I can kind of see why Nova isn't in the film. He's generally a really powerful character and the Guardians, while either highly skilled, enhanced, or super powered, aren't gently caress-off type of powers. I think having Nova in the film would have to deal with the question "Why doesn't he just Cosmic Power his way out of it and save the day?".

Oh I get it and all, it was just kinda lovely seeing the scrublord Nova Corps trying to catch a space ship in a suicide net.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Nova isn't really that powerful until all of Xandar is destroyed and he has to take the whole Nova Force and Worldmind in. They could have had him in a support role for the last battle.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Action Man posted:

The saddest thing about Green Lantern was all the statements they released to the press talking about what they were going to do in the sequel.

It was even sadder when WB blamed its failure on not being enough like the Nolan Batfilms.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Even sadder: then they made Man of Steel.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Even sadder: then they made Man of Steel.

Well, MoS was well under way before WB had any GL box office numbers to react to, so I can't really lay the blame there.

But as poor as GL was, I'd rather have have had it be the first film in a shared DCCU than MoS. At least it was going for the right tone for such an endeavor.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 8, 2014

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Just the images in that article reminded me that they needed to make a move where it didn't look like Ryan Reynolds head was floating in the middle of a poorly rendered video game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to go look, but does CD love Ninja Turtles and Hate GotG they way I imagine they do?

\/\/\/\/Thanks! Does SMG still post there? I'm not heading back until the answer is no.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 8, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I'm not going to go look, but does CD love Ninja Turtles and Hate GotG they way I imagine they do?

CineD Ambassador here. Pretty much everyone there loves Guardians (as for me, I thought it was pretty good, but not as good as Cap 2). Pre-release anticipation was pretty evenly split on Turtles, with some insisting it'd be genius and some saying it looked like crap. Personally, I think it looks like crap. The few opinions I've read from people that have actually seen it were a resounding "meh."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Guardians thread is honestly a bit obnoxious in how unwilling it is to discuss criticism.

Soonmot posted:

\/\/\/\/Thanks! Does SMG still post there? I'm not heading back until the answer is no.
He does. You just gotta ignore him when he vanishes up his own butt on occasion. But he mostly just generates good conversation. Especially since he's posting bad shots from Avengers every day now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Soonmot posted:

Hahahahaha.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

zoux posted:

Watching the final battle I could see why they went with the Nova Corp using ships since having them flying around with lazer hands would be pretty hectic to show on film.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Guardians thread is honestly a bit obnoxious in how unwilling it is to discuss criticism.
He does. You just gotta ignore him when he vanishes up his own butt on occasion. But he mostly just generates good conversation. Especially since he's posting bad shots from Avengers every day now.

No, I have him on ignore, but the constant quoting and dick sucking his posts gets derail every thread, making ignoring everyone who quotes him the same as not reading the forum. It's not that I even dislike that style of "here's a bizarre subtext in this film and here's why I believe this" post. It's just loving everywhere.

And now I'm derailing BSS with this crap, so I guess I'm gonna shut up now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

achillesforever6 posted:

Watching the final battle I could see why they went with the Nova Corp using ships since having them flying around with lazer hands would be pretty hectic to show on film.

It would also really show up the guardians when there is an entire army of dudes who can fly, shoot lasers and have super strength. The kids in the audience would be going "Why isn't the movie about those guys??"

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I'm guessing if Nova Corps do show up, they will have been created using the power of the Infinity Stone they now possess.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Action Man posted:

I had blocked out how much I hated Thanos farming at the end of the Infinity Gauntlet. Honestly, I hate the Infinity Gauntlet.

When Marvel Studios finally does the Infinity Gauntlet movie, it's the rare occasion where I want it to be almost nothing like the source material.

I can't imagine Avengers 3 would be much of a critical success among the public if they made the Avengers look like a bunch of chumps in the first hour and the rest of the movie was just an hour and a half of Jim Starlin masturbating.

Now making it based on the all-ages miniseries from a few years ago? That I'd see. We need US-Ace in the Cinematic Marvel Universe. Give Loki the Dr. Doom role.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Kinda weird to think that we could again have Captain Marvel be much more popular than Superman.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gavok posted:

Now making it based on the all-ages miniseries from a few years ago? That I'd see. We need US-Ace in the Cinematic Marvel Universe. Give Loki the Dr. Doom role.

A scene where Loki makes everybody sandwiches would cause Tumblr to collapse in on itself.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Just came back from Guardians. Picked a weird time to watch it, like 10 people in the whole room. Ended up having to watch it in 3D because of the times 2D was available, but it was decent enough.

Definitely surprised by the 'feel' of the film, I've never had much contact with Gunn's stuff other than watching a bit of Lollipop Chainsaw being played.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Also just got back from it, loved every minute of it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ditto. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed that more than star wars.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Just came back from Guardians. Picked a weird time to watch it, like 10 people in the whole room. Ended up having to watch it in 3D because of the times 2D was available, but it was decent enough.

Definitely surprised by the 'feel' of the film, I've never had much contact with Gunn's stuff other than watching a bit of Lollipop Chainsaw being played.

Go watch Slither.*
That's pretty much the only reason I even know Gunn's name.

* unfortunately it has Nathan Fillion in it but honestly it's a very good stupid horror film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What's wrong with Nathan Fillion?

And also watch Super. It's a great dark comedy. One of my favorite movies ever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Crossposting from CD:

Zach Snyder calling a Detroit radio station to defend the honor of Aquaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, as a fan of Aquaman I appreciate it. I just wish the argument didn't boil down to "No, actually he's super powerful and bad-rear end, for real!"

Isn't being an undersea king who is good at fighting, tough and superstrong, and can command aquatic life enough? Do you really have to be like "Oh and he could beat up Superman, he's as strong as the Hulk, natch"

• Locked thread