Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Can we make a new rule that every post in this thread has to be personally relevant to coyo7e, I think it'd really improve things around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The obvious solution, coyote, is to just get subscriptions to all the services????

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Mods, please change thread title to "Making Sure Coyo7e Gets his Eight Bucks Worth" tia

Just kidding! Those other services and their altered show openings can go straight to hell.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In all seriousness how is discussion of things that are not on Netflix ruining the thread for anyone?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I just watched a Swiss sci-fi movie on Canadian Netflix called Cargo.

It was actually pretty good. Had a neat feel to it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

axleblaze posted:

In all seriousness how is discussion of things that are not on Netflix ruining the thread for anyone?

I'm sure coyo7e will have just reasoning for his imposed segregation.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

One guy who's too cheap for Prime and Hulu?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Has Hulu gotten better about commercials? I can understand currently airing TV stuff- but when I last tried them everything had an unacceptable level of commercials- even the movies. If I want to watch commercials every several minutes, I can do it with crackle for free.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

axleblaze posted:

It ran another Netflix thread off the rails. Sorry for offending all you amazon prime folks. Perhaps you could make a thread to talk about it.

If people started posting about Netflix DVD subscriber content I'd feel the same way. I came here for info on streaming Netflix content, not the newest DVDs.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Has Hulu gotten better about commercials? I can understand currently airing TV stuff- but when I last tried them everything had an unacceptable level of commercials- even the movies. If I want to watch commercials every several minutes, I can do it with crackle for free.

Not at all. Watching anything on hulu is loving unbearable

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

coyo7e posted:

It ran another Netflix thread off the rails. Sorry for offending all you amazon prime folks. Perhaps you could make a thread to talk about it.

Or you could just scroll past things that don't interest you, the same as when there's a two-page tangent about some movie you don't give a poo poo about. The thread isn't your Netflix RSS.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by unacceptable. I don't use Hulu often, but when I have, the commercial breaks have always been in the same places as they would be on TV, and usually the same length or shorter.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hulu hasn't gotten any better with commercials. The Criterion Collection doesn't have any, I think, but everything else has plenty. I don't know how it stacks up in sheer minutes compared to normal TV, but it seems to be at more irritating times. The worst part is that they only have like five ads total, so if you watch like 2-3 shows, you've just memorized all the commercials they'll use for the next 6 months or so.

Can we just change the name of this thread to "streaming video subscription recommendations" or something?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

coyo7e posted:

If people started posting about Netflix DVD subscriber content I'd feel the same way. I came here for info on streaming Netflix content, not the newest DVDs.

coyo7e, you must be lovely at parties.

No for real though, you're dumb. You don't have to read anything that doesn't have to do with Netflix. And then maybe you can try to ignore your seething hatred for other streaming services and read some of the nice discussions we have on movies in this thread (sometimes) and think about maybe watching that movie at some point in time; Netflix or not.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 9, 2014

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Oz on Netflix prime is amazing. I was hesitant to watch it for some reason but I'm glad I'm watching it now.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I finished Oz a few weeks ago and loved it. It gets pretty loving weird the last couple of seasons but there's enough good stuff to get you through it. JK Simmons is great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I should note that I don't even have Amazon Prime. Hell, the only thing I have is Netflix but really that doesn't mean that we can't fit in some other streaming stuff, especially because that stuff probably won't be able to maintain it's own thread. Most of the talk will be about Netflix anyways.

Anyways, Oz was a show that ended at like the exact right time. In the last season you could feel it starting to warm up for that big old shark jump it was about to do, but then it ended and that last episode is loving glorious.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 9, 2014

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Erebus posted:

Or you could just scroll past things that don't interest you, the same as when there's a two-page tangent about some movie you don't give a poo poo about. The thread isn't your Netflix RSS.

I'm not sure what you mean by unacceptable. I don't use Hulu often, but when I have, the commercial breaks have always been in the same places as they would be on TV, and usually the same length or shorter.

One of the last things I tried watching on there was some Rick Steves' travel show. Commercial before show begins, generic show intro (less than 20 seconds), commericals, ~45 second overview of the shows contents given by Rick, commercials. The last commercial break was listed at over a minute. I turned it off, cancelled my free trial and that's about it. Tried another free trial last year, wanted to watch a movie- boom- commericials. Middle of an actor's line? Don't care. Commercials! It's garbage and I don't really see how they're even around anymore. I know they have criterion stuff but that's not enough for me to want to see the same three commercials over and over again.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

Oz on Netflix prime is amazing. I was hesitant to watch it for some reason but I'm glad I'm watching it now.

Is this a coyote joke or something because I was psyched to watch Oz on Netflix just now

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

origami posted:

Is this a coyote joke or something because I was psyched to watch Oz on Netflix just now

Yeah it's on amazon prime. I wish it were on Netflix.

Sorry coyo7e

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

One of the last things I tried watching on there was some Rick Steves' travel show. Commercial before show begins, generic show intro (less than 20 seconds), commericals, ~45 second overview of the shows contents given by Rick, commercials. The last commercial break was listed at over a minute. I turned it off, cancelled my free trial and that's about it. Tried another free trial last year, wanted to watch a movie- boom- commericials. Middle of an actor's line? Don't care. Commercials! It's garbage and I don't really see how they're even around anymore. I know they have criterion stuff but that's not enough for me to want to see the same three commercials over and over again.

That's really weird. I've used it to watch stuff like Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, and MXC, and it's the usual short ad break before the show starts, then breaks after acts 1, 2, and 3, same place they'd be on TV. Maybe the travel show was broken up just as often on TV, and they're just following that? Because God knows television advertising hasn't been great the last few years either. At least Hulu doesn't have the lower-third ads during the loving show.

I've never used it to watch movies, though, so I can't speak to that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

axleblaze posted:

Anyways, Oz was a show that ended at like the exact right time. In the last season you could feel it starting to warm up for that big old shark jump it was about to do, but then it ended and that last episode is loving glorious.

Yeah, agreed. Although in the last season or two, I got pretty tired of all the Beecher/Keller stuff and the show turned a lot more toward dark comedy (Cyril's puppet and the death row fashion shoot come to mind) but I loved the finale.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Adebisi's hat was the best thing. Loved the show, but that hat owned.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly, in the commentary the creator of the show said he had no idea how he kept that hat on his head.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

axleblaze posted:

If I remember correctly, in the commentary the creator of the show said he had no idea how he kept that hat on his head.

Yup I remember hearing the same thing. A better mystery than the entirety of Lost, IMO.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

priznat posted:

Adebisi's hat was the best thing. Loved the show, but that hat owned.

If you're going to have a psychotic murderer (slash rapist? Been a bit) in your show, you have to give him a cute little hat.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Erebus posted:

That's really weird. I've used it to watch stuff like Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, and MXC, and it's the usual short ad break before the show starts, then breaks after acts 1, 2, and 3, same place they'd be on TV. Maybe the travel show was broken up just as often on TV, and they're just following that? Because God knows television advertising hasn't been great the last few years either. At least Hulu doesn't have the lower-third ads during the loving show.

Hulu stacks ads unevenly, and I see a lot of variation in ad length among all their content. A new episode of a popular show can have two to three minutes of ads per break, whereas old seasons of stuff will usually have between twenty to forty seconds.

Thankfully Hulu shows all their Criterion stuff completely ad free. Providing you're a Hulu Plus subscriber, anyway. Nonsubscribers can't even access it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GonSmithe posted:

coyo7e, you must be lovely at parties.

No for real though, you're dumb. You don't have to read anything that doesn't have to do with Netflix. And then maybe you can try to ignore your seething hatred for other streaming services and read some of the nice discussions we have on movies in this thread (sometimes) and think about maybe watching that movie at some point in time; Netflix or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUiwTubYu0

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow just noticed Five Easy Pieces is on Netflix now. If you like 70s new American cinema like Easy Rider, etc. or early Jack Nicholson stuff then you'll love it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

bartok posted:

If Red State was someones directorial debut and they ended the movie when the horns sound then I think it would have been better received.
It would have been seen as an interesting debut from a new director with a lot of promise. I really think Kevin Smith's antics while promoting Red State and the epilogue spoil what is an okay "B" movie.

Speaking of directorial debuts, I watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind featuring George Clooney's directorial debut. It's based on the factually questionable autobiography of Gong Show host/CIA Assassin Chuck Barris. Sam Rockwell is great as Chuck Barris and Clooney is a decent director. It doesn't hurt that the script was written by Charlie Kaufman and Clooney was clearly influenced by Steven Soderbergh. It's not anything special but it's fun if a bit flawed.

Kevin Smith's career in a nutshell.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You guys remember when nerds were like, always talking about how awesome Kevin Smith is? Yeah, nerds don't do that anymore.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You guys remember when nerds were like, always talking about how awesome Kevin Smith is? Yeah, nerds don't do that anymore.

Because he wrote a comic where Batman peed his pants.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

tenniseveryone posted:

Because he wrote a comic where Batman peed his pants.

Uh...what?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Batman awkwardly rubbing the back of his head while he tells some random gently caress that he pissed himself is something that would literally never happen. gently caress you Kevin Smith. gently caress you and your closet full of hockey jerseys.

bartok
May 10, 2006

So is the problem more that Kevin Smith took the piss out of an iconic scene from Batman: Year One than Batman actually pissing himself?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If there were more going on on Netflix I'd be all for restricting the thread to that, but there's enough slow periods without tons of new content to fit all the major services into this thread (in my opinion).

Speaking of which, I signed up for the free trial membership of Amazon Prime, and I just now terminated it because it doesn't seem like there's anywhere near the amount of available content of Netflix, not even remotely close from what I can see.

Now it looks like Amazon is promoting some new kind of membership with a different payment model (monthly fee like Netflix?) where you get access to a lot more titles and Kindle books etc. so maybe a lot of titles that used to be available for Prime are now shifted to that type of membership?

It just seems to me that the main incentive to get Amazon Prime is:

-if you buy/ship enough stuff from Amazon that the membership gets paid for by the shipping discount
-if one of your main interests is streaming TV series (although I don't pay close enough attention to see if Amazon Prime is really that much better than Netflix in that regard)
-if you are a big user of the Kindle ebooks lending library (although even with that there is a big difference in between what is available for Prime subscribers and the new monthly membership type).

So I don't know if the monthly fee membership has always been around, or if that's new and Amazon is now trying to phase Prime out in favor of that, but it just seemed like very few titles of either books or movies were available to Prime members compared to what is available to stream in general (for rental fee etc.).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Zwabu posted:

If there were more going on on Netflix I'd be all for restricting the thread to that, but there's enough slow periods without tons of new content to fit all the major services into this thread (in my opinion).

Speaking of which, I signed up for the free trial membership of Amazon Prime, and I just now terminated it because it doesn't seem like there's anywhere near the amount of available content of Netflix, not even remotely close from what I can see.

Now it looks like Amazon is promoting some new kind of membership with a different payment model (monthly fee like Netflix?) where you get access to a lot more titles and Kindle books etc. so maybe a lot of titles that used to be available for Prime are now shifted to that type of membership?

-if you buy/ship enough stuff from Amazon that the membership gets paid for by the shipping discount
-if one of your main interests is streaming TV series (although I don't pay close enough attention to see if Amazon Prime is really that much better than Netflix in that regard)
-if you are a big user of the Kindle ebooks lending library (although even with that there is a big difference in between what is available for Prime subscribers and the new monthly membership type).

So I don't know if the monthly fee membership has always been around, or if that's new and Amazon is now trying to phase Prime out in favor of that, but it just seemed like very few titles of either books or movies were available to Prime members compared to what is available to stream in general (for rental fee etc.).

Amazons benefit towards streaming seems to be their HBO stuff, and then some exclusive stuff like Hannibal and some comedy central stuff. After that it all seemed to be the same stuff to me, so I watched Hannibal, Orphan Black, Drunken History and some other shows and then cancelled my trial account.

If I actually bought more things online I would have totally of kept prime though. Free 2 day shipping is awesome when I do buy stuff. And if I hadn't seen most of the HBO stuff.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 9, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zwabu posted:

Amazon Prime has all of Dowton Abbey, the superior service.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Buy an Amazon Prime membership, and sell the 4 sub-accounts for $20 on SA Mart, and you only paid $20 for a year of Prime. As the master account you get the Prime streaming, and the free 2 day shipping (which for me is the true benefit of Prime since I use it weekly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

bartok posted:

So is the problem more that Kevin Smith took the piss out of an iconic scene from Batman: Year One than Batman actually pissing himself?

Year One seems to show him constantly messing up at every turn for quite a while. It could have been an interesting direction to have gone with a young Bruce/Batman who came back to the Batcave and was shaking from the adrenaline come-down, subtly mention his costume being damp and left it up to the reader to wonder if it was sweat or piss.

But wasn't another issue with that storyline that Smith wrote was that he was going way out of his way to just be adult with the story. Wasn't there a point where the Joker anally rapes someone and another character talking about all the orgasms Bruce gave them, or am I mistaken?

• Locked thread