Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Less football, more bad kickstarters, like the sequel the the seminal film Samurai Cop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Baron Snow posted:

Less football, more bad kickstarters, like the sequel the the seminal film Samurai Cop!

look what mike and jay have wrought

rootphreak
May 16, 2008

HO HO HO
SPREAD EM FOR SANTA

Baron Snow posted:

hawhawhaw the two lead actors can't even remember a single line for the kickstarter vid

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

rootphreak posted:

hawhawhaw the two lead actors can't even remember a single line for the kickstarter vid

They couldn't get their lines down for the first movie either

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I confused this with Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD and got really excited for a second. :sigh: RIP in peace you gore-soaked bastards.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Baron Snow posted:

Seymour Cassel and Henry Silva are still alive?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
hello mental illness

e: for context this guy is a classic character from the bitcoin threads, he notoriously wanted to buy a derelict theater where he would show movies with a home epson projector, serve any kind of soda and believed he could acquire a creative commons licences for an existing movie which was his way of dealing with copyrights issues.

read the bio

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Aug 12, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I confused this with Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD and got really excited for a second. :sigh: RIP in peace you gore-soaked bastards.

Ha. You weren't the only one.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

hello mental illness

e: for context this guy is a classic character from the bitcoin threads, he notoriously wanted to buy a derelict theater where he would show movies with a home epson projector, serve any kind of soda and believed he could acquire a creative commons licences for an existing movie which was his way of dealing with copyrights issues.

read the bio

quote:

I'm in no rush to get all of this done as I need to wait 6mos before I can transfer out of Wal-Mart(manager says i'm the best hardest worker he's got that know's what I'm doing).

thank you bitcoin

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

senrath posted:

Safeties get 2 points.

ANd didn't Seattle get a safety on Denver's first play?

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eithedog posted:

I wonder what will happen when they'll find out that Pringles shape/packaging is patented.

not in europe it's not

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Please donate $25,000 to write a book about the harsh life of being a battle rapper.

Truthfully, there is probably a book in that premise, but I doubt one needs $25k up front to write that book, and if a person does, that person probably shouldn't have setup their only rewards tier (paying $50 for a hard copy of the book, itself a galling idea) to net as little as $10,000 worth of donations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Ultraklystron posted:

Please donate $25,000 to write a book about the harsh life of being a battle rapper.

Truthfully, there is probably a book in that premise, but I doubt one needs $25k up front to write that book, and if a person does, that person probably shouldn't have setup their only rewards tier (paying $50 for a hard copy of the book, itself a galling idea) to net as little as $10,000 worth of donations.

Oh hey white Canadian rapper, that takes me back. And he's from Toronto.

Morglon has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Aug 13, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Morglon posted:

I was all excited that it was famous white Canadian rapper, Snow. Now I'm all bummed. :(

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Don't forget Toronto's most one-ball havingest OG, Tom Green. He'll send you to the OR, then ask if you like it so far.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Morglon posted:

Come on, fund a guy!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TetsuoTW posted:

Come on, fund a guy!

I'm not your guy, buddy.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

TetsuoTW posted:

Come on, fund a guy!

If Chuggo was writing this book you know it would get funded, if only so we could read whatever some underpaid ghost writer could make out of his illiterate ramblings.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If Chuggo was writing this book you know it would get funded, if only so we could read whatever some underpaid ghost writer could make out of his illiterate ramblings.

If this were Chuggo's book I'd have posted in the PYF kickstarter thread and I've thrown in for at least an eBook copy.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Remember when I posted that terrible Kickstarter called "City Limits" by Cabal Games with their lovely video.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932667264/city-limits

Welp they have finally released the rules for their "MOD" system

http://www.cabalgames.ca/files/ModBasic.pdf

It's like the worst version of BESM was combined with Dream Pod 9's Core System to form a Frankenstein combination of the two which I would never want to play, ever. Yet somehow these guys have managed to raise $1,350.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So is chugging pure maple syrup while exercising a thing? Because it is now.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Shadoer posted:

Remember when I posted that terrible Kickstarter called "City Limits" by Cabal Games with their lovely video.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932667264/city-limits

Welp they have finally released the rules for their "MOD" system

http://www.cabalgames.ca/files/ModBasic.pdf

It's like the worst version of BESM was combined with Dream Pod 9's Core System to form a Frankenstein combination of the two which I would never want to play, ever. Yet somehow these guys have managed to raise $1,350.

I am irrationally annoyed by those right aligned headers, especially since the subheaders are left aligned.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Good god they've raised over $42,000...

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

senrath posted:

I am irrationally annoyed by those right aligned headers, especially since the subheaders are left aligned.

Oh this thing looks like it was formatted by a high school student who just got to use MS Word for the first time. My personal favorite is how the Character Page is at the middle of the book as opposed to say, the end. Or that the explanation for how the game actually works is fit in between their basic character creation and their magic system.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

That's less dumb than it sounds on the surface. When I bike, I typically crash after around 50-60 km if I don't make sure to get sugar in some form. For shorter rides I can go without, for longer rides I need to sugar up approximately every 30 km. Some use energy bars/-drinks, I drink OJ and eat candy bars, and I could see maple syrup being effective as well. You preferably want something that's compact and contains lots of easy-digestible sugar. The funding goal seems reasonable for physical production startup.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

For a while in my area the crazy long distance trek biker dudes were obsessed with drinking blackstrap molasses mixed with maple syrup so this does not shock me in the slightest.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Runners will buy literal magic beans and swill specially-packaged pickle juice because regular carbs and electrolytes are too mainstream, maple syrup isn't even that weird by comparison.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Here's a patreon that popped up from someone I know.

I'm not going to say much, but those numbers look weird and I'm wondering why:
a. She didn't just get a job (plenty of artists use this to support their passion, and I will soon join their ranks)
b. She didn't start doing real paid work (I've done paid work and you can make a bit more than her top goal in a month; I'm not talking about commissions because pay tends to be poo poo)

Maybe I know too much about Moga, but there's just a few things here that aren't sitting right with me.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Aug 17, 2014

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches
Using patreon just to beg for unearned money? Who would have thunk

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So do the people who pledge have any legal basis for a refund if the product doesn't show up, or is crowd funding still just a Libertarian snake oil show with the odd really good project run by cool guys who deliver what they promised?

Seems like the best Kickstarters come from people who have a history of making good products - but what happens to the person who gives ten grand to some guy in shed showing off his gadget that can't possibly work, then runs off before the shipping date? Do these sites just go "welp, sorry, free market and all that".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OldMemes posted:

So do the people who pledge have any legal basis for a refund if the product doesn't show up

Yes, you can sue over it in court and you'll probably get a favorable ruling. You just kinda need to be able to afford a lawyer to do that properly and lawyers are pricy, and you're going to need whoever you gave money to to still have money to pay damages in that event.

So if some random dude making $25k a year runs a kickstarter and spends all the kickstarter money on hookers and blow; even if you successfully sue him he's probably not going to have much in assets to be taken by the court and used for paying you back.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

CasualMaleXL posted:

Using patreon just to beg for unearned money? Who would have thunk

Not just that, but also to kind of give you a lecture for daring to have money, etc. in the first place. It offers no extras for milestones of any kind, not even making things up ("Game X can be completed!") it just straight up tells you that YOU'RE responsible for making sure she doesn't have to do the unthinkable and get a job and work to support herself at the possible expense of her hobby. She LIVES art you guys, she can't just not do it for 4 to 8 hours on weekdays!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You know those juiced-up sports dorks aren't actually Vermonters because they aped their design from the Canadian flag. If you ever want to see a Vermonter express any sort of emotion, ask them how they feel about Canadian maple syrup.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Update: one patron for five bucks. Appears to be a brony!

Why do people on crowdfunding sites seem to believe that, because you promise to create, people will just hand you money? The ones that are successful usually seem to be either:

1. Lucky (Potato Salad and a few of the copycats)
2. Stupid poo poo for idiots (Star Shitizen, minimalist wallets, Ouya, furry comics)
3. Have some extras (Ouya)
4. An Actual Good Thing that People Want™ (Reading Rainbow, Wasteland 2)

Create a matrix of these properties, and you have a helpful tool for critical examination of your crowdfunding campaign. Some things that probably help are:

1. Not begging for money even more than you already are by setting up a crowdfunding venture in the first place
2. Offer real goals relevant to the project or venture
3. Offer extras, to sway people who might be on the fence

I don't think people like it when you're literally panhandling and have nothing to offer them.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Patreon is pretty much the site where you pay people to exist and get nothing in return. It's a good setup for people who do stuff that is fun but takes up large amounts of their free time. It serves as a place for people to virtually panhandle, and there isn't really anything wrong with that. Just to be successful on it you usually have to be someone anyone cares about or has heard of.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
At least Patreon tends to be clear that you're donating money to people for effectively nothing in return.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

There's a lot of patreons that offer extra poo poo or at least have clear goals based on the work setup. Look at a few of the ones that make money or make some goals.

If your goal is just "I eat tomorrow", it's not an abuse of the system, but it's really lovely language that places the responsibility of the predicament on the viewer and creeps them the gently caress out, making them not want to give you money. There's ways you can reword and doctor this poo poo without lying or coming off as pathetic, to get what you want.

e: I used to be an entitled sad-sack and it didn't work for me either (well I make money now)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This Patreon creator just received $750 for posting a 7 minute video called "Rob Schneider Offers Ignorant, Unwanted Opinion on Robin Williams."

I'm sure she does some great work and has actually earned all that fan support but no one should ever be paid to talk about Rob Schneider.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

Update: one patron for five bucks. Appears to be a brony!

Why do people on crowdfunding sites seem to believe that, because you promise to create, people will just hand you money? The ones that are successful usually seem to be either:

1. Lucky (Potato Salad and a few of the copycats)
2. Stupid poo poo for idiots (Star Shitizen, minimalist wallets, Ouya, furry comics)
3. Have some extras (Ouya)
4. An Actual Good Thing that People Want™ (Reading Rainbow, Wasteland 2)

Create a matrix of these properties, and you have a helpful tool for critical examination of your crowdfunding campaign. Some things that probably help are:

1. Not begging for money even more than you already are by setting up a crowdfunding venture in the first place
2. Offer real goals relevant to the project or venture
3. Offer extras, to sway people who might be on the fence

I don't think people like it when you're literally panhandling and have nothing to offer them.

5. Scams that are believable enough (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ritot-the-first-projection-watch)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This Patreon creator just received $750 for posting a 7 minute video called "Rob Schneider Offers Ignorant, Unwanted Opinion on Robin Williams."

I'm sure she does some great work and has actually earned all that fan support but no one should ever be paid to talk about Rob Schneider.

Why is she so boring? How can people pay for her to talk, where she sounds so unexcited by whatever she's talking about? Lady, take a look at TED talks - these people aren't speakers, but they're excited to talk to other people about the fields they're in; you on the other hand are a lizard person.

canis minor has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
At least it's not Victoria Jackson, I don't want to live in a world where politichicks gets 700 dollars from anyone