Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

judge reinhold posted:

I'd like some feedback on this post I'm thinking of making. It's here, constructive criticism only please.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20085

I dunno you could use probably 2 or 3 more posts to go with this, have you tried doing separate LPs?

And anyway what's the deal with airline food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

CJacobs posted:

And anyway what's the deal with airline food

Somebody already did a thread on this. Check the Master List next time

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What does your stand-up comedy bring to the table?

I'll be here 'til Thursday, try the chicken!

lokistarwind
Jul 15, 2014
Hi everyone. For a while I been working on a lp on Wind Waker HD being done in a certain way. I got some feedback from people I know, but wanted some perspective before getting far in the project. Just so I have a better idea on how to approach the game and any new ideas I might implement into it. I leave below a test post that I wrote that has two videos ready. I would like to thank anyone in advance for taking the time to look at it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=19971

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Only seen the first video, but I really like what I've seen so far. The gimmick works pretty well, with solid informative commentary and some good occasional humor. The pops up are pretty great too, though my one complaint is that the 4 Koma ones could probably be up a little longer so they aren't as easily missed. Otherwise, love the presentation and the work put into this, and I look forward to seeing more videos.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I updated my test post. If there are no further criticisms, I intend on posting it. Thanks for your help, as always, Sand Castle.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20090

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I have a Yeti Blue microphone, and I want to do a Let's Play setup where two or three people will be playing the game with their faces about two to three feet away from the mic. I really know nothing about this microphone, and I want to understand microphone gain and cardioid patterns a little bit more.

Do I crank the gain up to its maximum setting to catch all of our voices and fix it in post? Or do we somehow get the mic closer to our face? A quick resource on mic patterns and gain would be greatly appreciated.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

zfleeman posted:

Do I crank the gain up to its maximum setting to catch all of our voices and fix it in post?
This is not something you can fix in post because it will cause every bit of background noise to be picked up and your voices may clip.
It's best to experiment. Try to find the right distance. Make sure that your audio recording has no clipping (waveform exceeding the range, "clipping" off the parts it can't process, causing distortion) but isn't too low. For maximum quality you'll need to make sure it's as loud as possible so adjusting the gain a bit is a good idea if you don't wanna get closer to the mic but if you notice the audio clipping regularly you should record at a little bit of a lower volume and raise that in post.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

judge reinhold posted:

I updated my test post. If there are no further criticisms, I intend on posting it. Thanks for your help, as always, Sand Castle.

I honestly think jpegs would work better in a project like this. Try using those, and see if there's a quality change.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

Too much content for one post. The page is taking up the entire width of the window. Try converting to a .hku format.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

zfleeman posted:

I have a Yeti Blue microphone, and I want to do a Let's Play setup where two or three people will be playing the game with their faces about two to three feet away from the mic. I really know nothing about this microphone, and I want to understand microphone gain and cardioid patterns a little bit more.

Do I crank the gain up to its maximum setting to catch all of our voices and fix it in post? Or do we somehow get the mic closer to our face? A quick resource on mic patterns and gain would be greatly appreciated.

Take this with a grain of salt since I have no experience with this mic, and relatively little in general, but a quick little primer on pickup patterns would be like this (Sorry if I'm just telling you a lot of stuff you already know!):

Cardoid is sort of point and shoot. It's most sensitive at the front and least sensitive as it goes towards the back. As a total disclaimer, I really only use this pattern for singing and I typically stand about 6-10 inches away. Three feet strikes me as too far back and you'd have to really turn the gain up to discernibly capture your voices at all. Like IGgy IGsen said, that's not something you can really fix in post without some really meticulous editing if the recording is even salvageable because that sounds like a recipe for clipping--and you just can't fix that.

Bidirectional will pick up sound from both sides of mic's diaphragm, i.e the front and the back, but not the sides. I don't imagine that this would be useful for what you're trying to do at all.

Omnidirectional, on the other hand, might suit your purposes better. Since it has equal sensitivity from all angles, that means you'll get sound from all angles. Since I doubt you'll have PA speakers or something amplifying the sound involved in your recording, you won't have to deal with potential feedback. As you probably guessed that doesn't necessarily mean it will pick up all sound equally but I think this would work better depending on how far you all planned to sit from each other.

Gain isn't exactly synonymous with volume. It's probably most simply described as microphone's ability to 'hear' the sound input whereas volume is the output, except not quite, because volume doesn't completely correlate to the sound's loudness as a person will hear it. This is a terrible way to explain gain vs. volume vs. loudness but audio is loving complicated and I usually just blunder through it with a whole of experimentation. This is a whole lot of words for me to tell you to check here for more about pattern basics and here for a little more on gain and volume.

Most importantly, you just have to experiment with the mic's positioning and settings until you find something that works for you and your recording environment because there's no one-size-fits-all solution. This is especially true of gain/volume/loudness/etc. Hopefully some of this will be helpful for you!

lokistarwind
Jul 15, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Only seen the first video, but I really like what I've seen so far. The gimmick works pretty well, with solid informative commentary and some good occasional humor. The pops up are pretty great too, though my one complaint is that the 4 Koma ones could probably be up a little longer so they aren't as easily missed. Otherwise, love the presentation and the work put into this, and I look forward to seeing more videos.

Thank you for taking the time to look at it. I am grateful that you liked what I made. I will keep in mind about the timing with the 4 Koma. The project is still in its early stages and I still need to weigh my options as I am close to finishing up my last lp. Once I get to the point that I am happy with this lp, I will go through the proper procedure to get a request to be added to the master list on SA.

Thank you for your input and have a nice day.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is a sort of tech related question but it's not actually related to tech support fort stuff, so I suppose I'll ask here instead. Is there a real point to recording/rendering my videos in 1080p? It takes much longer for them to be rendered and they take up at least a marginal bit more space. It does look very good, but at the same time, 720p also looks good and I doubt the majority of people even bother to watch in super high quality. I'm just looking for opinions here.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Unless there are a lot of fine details that get lost at 720p, I'd say skip the 1080.

It's your time, your computer, and your disk space, and there's no need to waste any more of it than necessary to make a good-looking video.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

This is a sort of tech related question but it's not actually related to tech support fort stuff, so I suppose I'll ask here instead. Is there a real point to recording/rendering my videos in 1080p? It takes much longer for them to be rendered and they take up at least a marginal bit more space. It does look very good, but at the same time, 720p also looks good and I doubt the majority of people even bother to watch in super high quality. I'm just looking for opinions here.

Personal preference I'd guess. I don't watch the 1080 stuff because internet on youtube gets throttled from this country and I don't typically see a difference. If you want to provide THE ULTIMATE USER EXPERIENCE you can go ahead and jump up to 1080, otherwise HD people can be happy with 720 and suck a dick if they're not happy with it. I've never seen anyone (worth listening to) complain about not having the highest def and the most P's.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

CJacobs posted:

If there's 1080p I watch that most of the time, but I wouldn't even blink if it weren't there. Hell, some LPs have 480p (or less) as their maximum, and that usually works just fine.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I generally upload all of my videos at 1080p because I use FRAPS to record them, which already makes the files ridiculously space-consuming and high def, so that becomes the main file size hog. After that the difference between a 760p and 1080p is negligible.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I generally upload all of my videos at 1080p because I use FRAPS to record them, which already makes the files ridiculously space-consuming and high def, so that becomes the main file size hog. After that the difference between a 760p and 1080p is negligible.
Wait....what? You aren't just uploading raw fraps files are you, cause what should be affecting your end file size is how you're encoding it in it's final format.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Niggurath posted:

Wait....what? You aren't just uploading raw fraps files are you, cause what should be affecting your end file size is how you're encoding it in it's final format.

No no no, I'm just saying that once I have 20 gigs of raws, the size of the final isn't really on the scale if the 1080p ends up as 600mbs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I generally do 1080p on the offchance that someone really really wants it and I record using a capture device, so the video is pre-encoded and I don't have to worry too much about file sizes (a 1080p recording that lasts an hour and a half is maybe 10 gigs for me). Depending on whether or not I can get 60 FPS videos on youtube though, I might switch to 720p so I can upload 60 FPS vids instead.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Do we know if YouTube still throws out the actual 1080p video in favour of upscaling the 720p version? If it does, would there actually be any extra detail in a 1080 video?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Try destroy but hole - Let's Play Dark Souls II!

Dark Souls II, or ダークソウルII, Dāku Souru Tsu in glorious Japan, is an action JRPG and the highly anticipated sequel of the Souls series. The Souls series is best know for it's harsh gameplay and beautiful environments, where death is always near giving you a rather awkward and painful shoulder rub. The series is also best known for its unique multiplayer system and hardcore community that don't want no scrub. Many a gamer try their hands at Dark Souls, only to give up on it and abandon videogames forever. Mountain Dew tears.

I will be playing from the perspective of a newbie and will show off all the wondrous ways to die, how to avoid them, and where that one ring you heard about is. I will also provide videos on PvP combat and how to deal with invasion-heavy areas of the game.

Joining me for this adventure will be LP Superstar Blind Sally, who will be providing insight and theories about the lore of the game.

I will parry every Boss.

The LP:

Additional Content:

Dark Souls II E3 Trailer

Undone Trailer

Locomotive Breath Trailer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ooo Putty you tricked me! :byodood:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But you never explained where that one ring I heard about is!

edit: Lollin at the trailer links.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 9, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
All right, guess I'll never know if I can do an LP or not if I never actually post anything in the sandcastle.

Super Robot Wars: Original Generations

Intro
OG1 Intro and Ryusei Mission 1

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Putty posted:

Try destroy but hole - Let's Play Dark Souls II!

Dark Souls II, or ダークソウルII, Dāku Souru Tsu in glorious Japan, is an action JRPG and the highly anticipated sequel of the Souls series. The Souls series is best know for it's harsh gameplay and beautiful environments, where death is always near giving you a rather awkward and painful shoulder rub. The series is also best known for its unique multiplayer system and hardcore community that don't want no scrub. Many a gamer try their hands at Dark Souls, only to give up on it and abandon videogames forever. Mountain Dew tears.

I will be playing from the perspective of a newbie and will show off all the wondrous ways to die, how to avoid them, and where that one ring you heard about is. I will also provide videos on PvP combat and how to deal with invasion-heavy areas of the game.

Joining me for this adventure will be LP Superstar Blind Sally, who will be providing insight and theories about the lore of the game.

I will parry every Boss.

The LP:

Additional Content:

Dark Souls II E3 Trailer

Undone Trailer

Locomotive Breath Trailer

Finally, something with promise

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I wish my DkSII LP was that good.
I guess adding a co-commentator really does magically fix every problem with every video ever.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just doin' my civic duty as a member of this LP subforum.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Working on a video LP for Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and I had an idea for the presentation of the video so I made a test video but I wanted to throw it up in here to see if it was maybe a bit much before I kept going with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2Kh_Ou1cw

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I'd either switch the video to the right side and the graphic on the left, or just get rid of it entirely.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I'd personally not have it at all. At the very least I'd make the game take up the entire height of the video in order to not waste any screen real estate. If you absolutely gotta have some frame or graphics at the side then go ahead but it's not something that's necessary.

Visually it looks fine though, I'm just bothered by the fact that it makes the game smaller than it could be.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'd personally not have it at all. At the very least I'd make the game take up the entire height of the video in order to not waste any screen real estate. If you absolutely gotta have some frame or graphics at the side then go ahead but it's not something that's necessary.

Visually it looks fine though, I'm just bothered by the fact that it makes the game smaller than it could be.
More than likely the game only runs in 4:3 and in that case it would just be black bars on the sides of the screen with youtube formatting. Personally I'm fine with black bars, but I'd rather if you're going for something to fill in the black space, then I'd center the game and split that right hand image into two pieces.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The background image is the frame around the game's main menu, by the way. I think it looks neat, although I certaily wouldn't mind if you cut enough of it to have the game fill the whole video vertically.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Niggurath posted:

More than likely the game only runs in 4:3 and in that case it would just be black bars on the sides of the screen with youtube formatting. Personally I'm fine with black bars, but I'd rather if you're going for something to fill in the black space, then I'd center the game and split that right hand image into two pieces.

It kind of sounds like you are trying to correct me but you're basically saying the same things I said. Only I prefer black bars over frames/other graphics.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Two questions regarding a Let's Play I want to start up:

1. Since Toddy is doing Ys Origin, I am going to end up playing Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming instead. The game tends to have a bad habit (at the beginning of the game) to have long strings of dialogue before moving onto gameplay. The dialogue is pretty basic, making it very hard to commentate over. Is there any way commentary-wise or editing-wise I can make this interesting?

2. Are there any good video editors out there that I can use which are user-friendly and not cost me a lot of money? Avisynth is too much of a hassle to learn right now, and Premiere/Vegas are way out of my budget as of the current moment.

Slur fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 10, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
1. If you really want to do Ys, do Ys. Multiple LPs can exist simultaneously. That said, the dialogue in Half-Minute Hero is pretty funny for the most part, so I dunno. It can be tedious in a video, but that is the joke--uh, you could do a screen shot LP instead? Ah, it's probably fine.

2. I hear Open Broadcaster Software is pretty good. I'm still messin' around with it myself, but it isn't terribly difficult to learn: https://obsproject.com/

EDIT: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, you edited your post ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now I look like some kinda weirdo.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Slur posted:

1. Since Toddy is doing Ys Origin, I am going to end up playing Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming instead. The game tends to have a bad habit (at the beginning of the game) to have long strings of dialogue before moving onto gameplay. The dialogue is pretty basic, making it very hard to commentate over. Is there any way commentary-wise or editing-wise I can make this interesting?

You might consider putting in a YT annotation or something to skip to the time past dialogue if you're so inclined. Or just a heads up saying "Dialogue ends at X". Even so the game isn't super wordy aside from the start so it's probably nothing to worry about.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Is the dialog crucial to your audience's understanding of the game/story/gameplay? If you want to get right to the action, you could just cut the dialog bits into a separate video for people to watch at their leisure and start your commentary from the point where the actual gameplay starts.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Blind Sally posted:

2. I hear Open Broadcaster Software is pretty good. I'm still messin' around with it myself, but it isn't terribly difficult to learn: https://obsproject.com/

I don't think OBS has a video editor embedded into it...unless I've missed out on an important update.

nine-gear crow posted:

Is the dialog crucial to your audience's understanding of the game/story/gameplay? If you want to get right to the action, you could just cut the dialog bits into a separate video for people to watch at their leisure and start your commentary from the point where the actual gameplay starts.

I was thinking of either doing that, or doing a screenshot format for the dialogue proper, and making it a hybrid LP. That, or taking Scruffy's suggestion and making an annotation which will cut ahead of the dialogue.

I think the second of those ideas is the best so far, in my honest opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm Batman.

Title: I am Vengeance. I am the Night. LET'S. PLAY. BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM

The Joker has taken the mayor hostage and has the city in a deathgrip. Batman breaks in, saves the day, and is bringing the Joker to his perennial vacation home in Arkham Asylum. But it's too easy. Blackgate prisoners are in Arkham due to a fire, the Joker gave up almost without a fight. Too many coincidences, but what could happen?

Batman: Arkham Asylum was released in 2009 by Rocksteady Studios. The game has received many, many accolades for its gameplay, its story, and its overall impact, not least because it has the rare distinction of being a good licensed game. For fans of Batman: The Animated Series, Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, and Arleen Sorkin reprise their roles as Batman, the Joker, and Harley Quinn. The script is written by Paul Dini, a veteran writer for not only the Batman animated series but Batman Beyond, the Superman animated series, and he's had a number of scripts in Transformers and Justice League. He also worked on Clerks: The Animated Series and appeared in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, if that's your thing. All that is to say he's got some experience. The combat flows well, you get to set up crime scenes and track the evidence down, and you get to play with all those wonderful toys.

The plan is to 100% the game. 3 stars in all the challenge rooms, all the Riddler's tricks, and every Chronicle of Arkham. Along with a few sneaky bits here and there.

:siren:SPOILERS?!:siren:
Talk about the comics. Talk about some of the weird poo poo in the DC universe. Talk about how Jason Todd got crowbar'd. Don't get into petty bitchfests about the New 52, that's what BSS is for. But please don't talk about anything that happens here or in the next two games until we get there. Someone might be waiting!

The Videos
Intro and Intensive Treatment 1

Intensive Treatment 2

Intensive Treatment and Combat Breakdown

And then second post is going to have all of the character bios and some crazy stuff about them etc.

• Locked thread