Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wei
Jul 27, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Shield dong: press "F" to die horribly thinking you're activating your healing aura!

I can't wait until I knock out this last LMG aurax. HA feels so meek and boring compared to medic :( it's basically just a Phoenix platform for me

This is why I hate the shield dong but I think I may have to use it for the stupid Medic directive. I want my shiny armor :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The shield regen effect is just a byproduct of the energy released while performing its true function: to siphon life-force from unwary teammates and convert it into certs.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cabbit posted:

Am I just spoiled by the Inquisitor, or is the AMP absolutely goddamn worthless?
The AMP is a Repeater for scrubs who can't click. The Inquisitor is a much more stable but slower Repeater for pros who can.

The first review on YouTube I saw of the AMP basically summed it up as "this is a weapon you use in knife range." Which is a great way to describe the Repeater... and also the Commissioner and Underboss, two guns that are also good outside of knife range!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I really like the Inquisitor and it is super good for headshot-chain-jumping someone unsuspecting. A guy raged at me the other night cause I dominated him as he was trying to jump my TSAR/Inquisitor Inf on top of Elli.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My only problem with the shield dong is that it's really random whether I get a heal ribbon or shield ribbon.

Other than that I don't regret switching my regen out for it.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Kobogartimer posted:

The shield regen effect is just a byproduct of the energy released while performing its true function: to siphon life-force from unwary teammates and convert it into certs.

It's really a win for the medic all around. You get certs from constant shield regeneration, you make a "shoot splash damage here" marker for enemies so they expose themselves while you're waiting outside it, and you get to revive all the allies who got splashed to death inside it.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Tried the AMP out. It's... okay? It needs too many bullets to kill someone or it needs more in the magazine. Also LOTS more in reserve because cripes you run out fast. Those moments where it works though are magical.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Arghy posted:

So uh sundy shield regen? that counts as healing, what happens when you leave your sundy in a tech plant? 1000 certs in 3 hours getting a loving ribbon every 3 seconds for spawning and healing hahahha. Its so hard getting used to the shield dong but i want to get that poo poo so i can get my medic fancy armor.

Not even trying!

I shot like... three guys total while doing this. I did not seek out Certopia, I made it with my own two hands.

Sadly I didn't kick a boost in until half way through, so I've still got room to improve on my incredibly stupid farming method.

Fans fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 9, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was interesting to fight against GOON on Esamir just now. So much Light Assault hopping around!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
As much as I love the jets available to the LA, I just want boost jets that rocket me up quickly for fast building ascension and nothing else.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Ringo Star Get posted:

As much as I love the jets available to the LA, I just want boost jets that rocket me up quickly for fast building ascension and nothing else.
Those used to exist but were removed due to engine limitations, apparently.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I have one hour and four minutes played as a LA, three times I've switched to one to place a beacon (but now that I can drop them so often I don't bother to hide them), once to kill one on a tower and the rest was just when I died as a MAX and forgot to pick something better to come back as. I just don't get the niche of the class except for parking your Sunderer in an out of the way cliff-side that requires a LA to get to a base quickly, but on the other side any HA on the other team can easily toss C4 down the cliff and blow up your Sunderer.

The increase to MAX nanite cost is probably a good move, double may be high though, as others have mentioned an AV grenade is cheap and clears out any number of MAX easy. I still don't see why people can't live in their MAX suits; I've spent the last few days either in my HEAT/Skyguard Lightning or MAX depending on the situation and I've never not had the nanites to pull another as soon as I've died. 53 nanites a minute keeps pretty much anybody in a vehicle so long as they don't hit mines right at the spawn. As somebody that often went whole weeks without pulling a MAX it's actually pretty fun, dual-comets are a lot of fun to counter an armor push and it's so nice to not be killed by all the snipers that respond to a Heavy shooting rockets or my Engineer using a AV Turret against armor.

I've played so little MAX up to this point that it won't be a huge loss if they adjust the cost and I can't do it again, just as long as I can leave proximity mines in every doorway I'll be happy.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Ringo Star Get posted:

Icarus jumpjets (never made it to release) were too good to be true. They'd let you ascend so fast that the LA's hitbox in flight was even worse than it normally is. You were more likely to die from cratering than being shot midair. I don't particularly like LA because their jets are too slow compared to beta.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 9, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Those used to exist but were removed due to engine limitations, apparently.

I thought it was because they were just straight up better than the stock jumpjets at basically everything. I'd like to see something that's basically a 15m high jump pad that you'd tap space and it'd fling you up in the air so you could instantly jump to the top of a three story building.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Westy543 posted:

I thought it was because they were just straight up better than the stock jumpjets at basically everything. I'd like to see something that's basically a 15m high jump pad that you'd tap space and it'd fling you up in the air so you could instantly jump to the top of a three story building.

You know how ADAD used to warp like mad and even crouching in a lag environment means being halfway through the floor. It was like that but upwards, LAs would appear to warp super high due to client-server predictions, then back down. I guess kind of like watching someone in tribes doing routes at 300+ ms ping.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Westy543 posted:

They didn't let you move around in the air that much considering the lower capacity and long recharge compared to the regular jumpjets. While they were good at jumping onto towers and two storied buildings, cliff walking or significantly higher ground with icarus jets was slower than the normal jets from my recollection.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

LA's are great and exist in a completely different world to the other classes, where doors and stairs are things you look down on both figuratively and literally. Play LA and you'll develop skills in divebombing through windows, launching yourself in new and exciting ways with grav lits and jump pads, and making ever higher traversals between buildings in seconds. Whole new areas of familiar bases open up to you. You get to play as hit and run ambusher, vehicle saboteur and a well-hidden predator.

Cert your jets and go terrorize entire bases of enemies single-handed already :colbert:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Blasmeister posted:

Cert your jets and go terrorize entire bases of enemies single-handed already :colbert:

Note: offer not valid if enemies look up.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...
I'm of the opinion that Light assaults are the secret best class. They are uniquely capable of getting around enemy camps and disrupting them, people that sit in trees and kill farm with them are using them "wrong." Also, C4 light assault forever.
Edit:

Cabbit posted:

Note: offer not valid if enemies look up.
They never do.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tech Plants, Amp Stations, and Towers will teach you to love LA. Also bases with obnoxious walls. Also bases with obnoxious cliffs.

People look up more now than they did during the beta/right after release. Back then you could perch on wall greebles and just murder people with impunity until your gun was dry, but anymore someone will eventually happen to look up at you.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

zeal posted:

It was interesting to fight against GOON on Esamir just now. So much Light Assault hopping around!

That Freyr 3-way was pretty great. These new sundy shields are amazingly good at keeping large fights going.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Tech Plants, Amp Stations, and Towers will teach you to love LA. Also bases with obnoxious walls. Also bases with obnoxious cliffs.

People look up more now than they did during the beta/right after release. Back then you could perch on wall greebles and just murder people with impunity until your gun was dry, but anymore someone will eventually happen to look up at you.

Hossin might as well be labeled "The LA continent". All those trees? You can sit up there for ages with a crossbow and farm all the nerds.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Hossin might as well be labeled "The LA continent". All those trees? You can sit up there for ages with a crossbow and farm all the nerds.

This but an X11 :black101:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They should change the icarus to be like the drifter, huge gas tank but it provides minimal horizontal thrust but lots of vertical thrust.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

This but an X11 :black101:

Razor works well at that, too. Before they shrunk the ceiling in Bio Labs, I would LA up on the top of the inner middle column above the SCU with ammo belt and use the Razor to assassinate enemy shotgun LAs on the roofs below. Hackusations for days.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bio labs are all sorts of hosed up after the patch. Don't go near the walls or you'll get stuck inside them. XanderClauss said they're looking into it, there were no intentional changes to bio labs this patch.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Today i had the most depressing magrider moment, i pulled a AV magrdier hoping to clean out some sundies attacking howling pass. I finally get to the fight to see the 6 sundies are already dead from infantry AV and the last 2 sundies get destroyed leaving a vanguard who i'm praying doesn't notice me but nope! I land 2 AP shots before he lands a single one, i pull back over a hill and land 2 more to the front yet he manages to kill me before he dies himself.

The magrider is an assault gun geared towards anti infantry work, do not make the same mistake i did. There is no other secondary besides the PPA and always run away when you see armor! thats a job for lancers not a magrider!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

Today i had the most depressing magrider moment, i pulled a AV magrdier hoping to clean out some sundies attacking howling pass. I finally get to the fight to see the 6 sundies are already dead from infantry AV and the last 2 sundies get destroyed leaving a vanguard who i'm praying doesn't notice me but nope! I land 2 AP shots before he lands a single one, i pull back over a hill and land 2 more to the front yet he manages to kill me before he dies himself.

The magrider is an assault gun geared towards anti infantry work, do not make the same mistake i did. There is no other secondary besides the PPA and always run away when you see armor! thats a job for lancers not a magrider!

The other day, after growing fat off of farming HEAT/PPA Magriders in my Vanguard, I ran into a Saron/AP that waited until I had almost crested the hill before it Magburned right over me and started taking shots at my butt. Even through the shield, I was dead before I could turn around.

I said to my gunner, "I'm glad we'll probably never run into someone using the Magrider like that again" and I'm confident that I never will.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Epic High Five posted:

The other day, after growing fat off of farming HEAT/PPA Magriders in my Vanguard, I ran into a Saron/AP that waited until I had almost crested the hill before it Magburned right over me and started taking shots at my butt. Even through the shield, I was dead before I could turn around.

I said to my gunner, "I'm glad we'll probably never run into someone using the Magrider like that again" and I'm confident that I never will.

tbh that's you falling for the oldest magrider trick in the book, trying to do that to a vanguard that anticipates that is suicide.

(it's also a good example why stealth is the best against competent players)

Pand fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 9, 2014

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I think I favor the Halberd over the Saron for a tank-killing secondary, sure the Saron pumps out more damage per minute but when the opposing tank swallows a primary and a Halberd hit they get really nervous and try to run giving you an easy chance to magburner after them for the finishing shot. Plus the Halberd can do some anti-personal if needed, not sure if I've ever managed to get an infantry kill with the Saron.

More importantly, the Halberd has a great firing sound.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pand posted:

tbh that's you falling for the oldest magrider trick in the book, trying to do that to a vanguard that anticipates that is suicide.

Tbh "getting behind a tank in an instant taking a straight line" is a pretty good trick

The only reason Magriders are such easy prey is that Sarons are vanishingly rare whereas every single Vanguard is AP/Enforcer. Smart Magrider drivers are a gigantic pain in the rear end, but it seems like all the AV-minded tankers have migrated to the NC like all the AA-minded ESF pilots. I guess having poo poo AI options across the board is actually great for recruiting!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

As an AP Lightning driver whose diet is around 80% HE/PPA magriders, I make sure to always send a compliment tell to the rare AP/Saron magrider that suddenly turns my Duck Cockroach Hunt into a surprised, fiery death.

Westy543 posted:

Little late but I'm gonna go out there and say the Gauss SAW can do without an advanced foregrip. It doesn't have much horizontal recoil at all, and the shorter equip time from no grip has saved me more than I can count.

You're starting. Now take off the compensator, mount HVA and a Truesight scope and you'll reach the Full NC ExperienceŽ.

Fierce Brosnan posted:

It's great to finally have a decent population on Cobalt. Ceres VS have an interesting tactic of flying their Scythes as low as possible, and getting destroyed by flak. But they do at least they have Lancers - Cobalt VS were always too spacepoor to buy those.

I haven't been able to log in for two days and won't for another several hours, how is the merge going? Are there finally any decent TR outfits to counter the TRID hellzergs?

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Westy543 posted:

You know what this patch has made? Tons of useless MAX players everywhere. They're literally negative players, because they're constantly taking tons of damage by overextending and then running back to spawn for reps and requiring engineers to heal them.

E: Also a TR on reddit is calling the Canister OP because the anti-Harasser weapon kills a Harasser faster than his Vulcan. Hahahahahahaha

Westy can you please help spread word of how awesome the phoenix really is on connery? Whenever I pull one there I maybe have one other guy with it helping the cause out. People see the 750 listed and think that's it to everything, but it's decimator damage against vehicles and rips anything in the air you can hit apart. Connery needs more SCREEE!

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Here's a code for you the first lucky person to see this: 3 day 50% xp boost.

HRMX-KGZF-EE2L-29FP-JNNM

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

As an AP Lightning driver whose diet is around 80% HE/PPA magriders, I make sure to always send a compliment tell to the rare AP/Saron magrider that suddenly turns my Duck Cockroach Hunt into a surprised, fiery death.

This is very wrong. You should be doing what I do and send them /tells giving them tips on proper PPA/HE usage. Point out how many more kills your average PPA operator gets for sitting there, entirely lifeless, with the cert gods requiring nothing more of him than to breathe at regular intervals and press a button to rake in huge amounts of kills.

Compared to that, why run a Saron or Halberd? I think the choice is clear sir, I bid you a good day.

HairyBigFoot of course runs HEAT/Halberd because he fears unleashing the terrible potency of HE/PPA. Versatility and the ability to kill any target he comes across has nothing to do with it

NihilCredo posted:

You're starting. Now take off the compensator, mount HVA and a Truesight scope and you'll reach the Full NC ExperienceŽ.

If it isn't running a Jackhammer with a 6x scope or a Canrasser then it isn't truly NC :colbert:

ProfessorGroove posted:

Westy can you please help spread word of how awesome the phoenix really is on connery? Whenever I pull one there I maybe have one other guy with it helping the cause out. People see the 750 listed and think that's it to everything, but it's decimator damage against vehicles and rips anything in the air you can hit apart. Connery needs more SCREEE!

I'm finally starting to get the NC horde to love the Phoenix as I do and it's really just FANTASTIC seeing 8-12 screaming camera guided Decimators up at all times during a big fight. All infantry farming ceases IMMEDIATELY and it becomes a huge turkey shoot because all infantry has to hoof it 290m just to get to you. Ever seen those nature documentaries, where one fish in a school gets wounded and immediately gets set upon by a whole bunch of predators? The predator here is the Phoenix, and the fish is any armor with a pillar of smoke coming from it. I love watching all rockets swerve to be the ones to get the final shot on the poor wounded bastard.

I can tell you first hand that spreading the word against the hivemind means you've gotta be a stubborn rear end in a top hat. It's been over a year I've been preaching the word of the #SLUGLYFE and educating everybody on the glory of the SlugMAX, and how often do you guys actually die to a SlugMAX? The Phoenix's problem is twofold: it has wonky numbers leading people to believe it does super lovely damage, and it honestly has super lovely DPS. DPS being a grossly overinflated stat that is actually generally worthless in terms of determining the value of a gun isn't widely accepted, so low DPS = bad, period.

Just keep hammering it away at them.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Epic High Five posted:

Tbh "getting behind a tank in an instant taking a straight line" is a pretty good trick

The only reason Magriders are such easy prey is that Sarons are vanishingly rare whereas every single Vanguard is AP/Enforcer. Smart Magrider drivers are a gigantic pain in the rear end, but it seems like all the AV-minded tankers have migrated to the NC like all the AA-minded ESF pilots. I guess having poo poo AI options across the board is actually great for recruiting!

You don't get behind a tank in an instant, because you still have to turn around at that point. And if you are anticipating it you shoot his belly while he flys over you and start maneuvering. He'll be at half health before he turned around and lol after that. Seriously that poo poo does not work against Vanguard driver that expect it.
I'll invite you to miller for a fully certed AV magrider and I'll point you into the direction of this guy http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/peter2 and you'll try that.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I should have known better that the redeployment, respawning and alert changes would mean plunging Briggs into indarside once again. At least it means there are hellzergs to certfarm outside of biolabs and dahaka/zurvan now!

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Epic High Five posted:

I'm finally starting to get the NC horde to love the Phoenix as I do and it's really just FANTASTIC seeing 8-12 screaming camera guided Decimators up at all times during a big fight.

I think on Tuesday I was at a fight and saw your /yells of SCREEEE! But I think only one other person at the fight joined you in rocket-fun as the shots were few and far between. Thankfully I was in a skyguard and just shot down any rockets which came my way or my auto-repair let me shrug off any hits I missed.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

ProfessorGroove posted:

I do my best. I encourage everyone in my outfit to pick one up. Sometimes during ops we'll grab a bunch of Phoenixes and alpha strike a Sundy or tank zerg down, but I can't say we've done it in some time. Recursion liked what we were cooking and picked it up. May have to revive Phoenix squads for the resource update... Hossin is REALLY good for this cause you have free cover in every base and tanks are all over. I've been loving the Deci lately is why I haven't been using the Phoenix. I did pick up Rangefinder for it though.

So I just unlocked Engineer auraxium to work on... 250 resupplies is going to be awful. They really need to raise the exp cap on resupplies. I've been dropping ammo constantly and it's insanely slow. I've been converted to 4x sticky grenade Engineer, it's just horrible what you do to clumped enemies. Like, I think I may actually be ruining Planetside with how much destruction they bring when you throw more than one. :ohdear: Looking forward to auraxing stickies for the directive.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

NihilCredo posted:

I haven't been able to log in for two days and won't for another several hours, how is the merge going? Are there finally any decent TR outfits to counter the TRID hellzergs?
Well there's definitely more variety - two whole pages of open squads last night! - but I dunno if they're actually any good. It still feels like TR is a bunch of squads doing their own thing and not talking to each other.

[TFDN] is the new [TRID], just as [TRID] was once the new [OWND]

• Locked thread