Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I have knee problems. 3/4 blackbelts that I've trained under have knee problems (that I'm aware of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Judo is rough bjj is better but can still be bad.

A lot of it is how hard you train, how aware you are of bad dynamics and luck/genetics.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My knees are about the only part of my body I haven't injured.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't train BJJ either, but I was wondering about the injuries as well. Obviously it's promoted as safer than contact martial arts, but a lot of top BJJ guys seem to have really hosed up backs which just sounds awful. Is that an inevitability of training, or are they so high level that theyre training at a crazy intensity most people wouldn't?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Seltzer posted:

I don't train BJJ either, but I was wondering about the injuries as well. Obviously it's promoted as safer than contact martial arts, but a lot of top BJJ guys seem to have really hosed up backs which just sounds awful. Is that an inevitability of training, or are they so high level that theyre training at a crazy intensity most people wouldn't?

A little of both. Again intensity, awareness of bad positions/movements and luck. There are 30 years of training black belts walking around like spring chickens and purple belts with 3 knee surgeries.

Sitting on the couch will kill you too. I remind myself of that when I get anxious about the future.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I really need to get back into BJJ. I finally have a full-time job and it's a couple of blocks from Marcelo's, do I have any excuse?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Xguard86 posted:

A little of both. Again intensity, awareness of bad positions/movements and luck. There are 30 years of training black belts walking around like spring chickens and purple belts with 3 knee surgeries.

Sitting on the couch will kill you too. I remind myself of that when I get anxious about the future.

I work out and play soccer, I get that stuff has risks, I've just heard a lot about back issues in BJJ and wanted to know a bit more whether it was a thing only elite practitioners dealt with or a more common injury.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Do not forget that training is not a fight, and there is no shame in tapping. Your joints will thank you.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Seltzer posted:

I work out and play soccer, I get that stuff has risks, I've just heard a lot about back issues in BJJ and wanted to know a bit more whether it was a thing only elite practitioners dealt with or a more common injury.

Back injuries are pretty common in grappling. Higher intensity means higher risk but sometimes poo poo just happens. It also helps if the school isn't full of aggros that want to spar like every roll is a real fight.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Gregor Samsa posted:

Do not forget that training is not a fight, and there is no shame in tapping. Your joints will thank you.

I began bjj under Carlos Machado who's over 50 and very mobile. One thing he stresses is that bjj is about protecting yourself and a part of that means giving up position to keep yourself safe. So, if you're in a compromised guard, allow your opponent to pass and then escape instead of clinging to a bad position and risking injury.

I think it's possible to train hard and stay in good condition if you put your safety first and winning second. It's also a better attitude in general.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Can Frank Mir please just do a Metamoris thing instead of getting continually punched to death? I love watching that dude grapple>

Would he fare alright in this kind of format?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Can Frank Mir please just do a Metamoris thing instead of getting continually punched to death? I love watching that dude grapple>

Would he fare alright in this kind of format?

Depends who he was up against, but here's some cool Frank Mir grappling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dj5xMeXybs

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

Dangersim posted:

Depends who he was up against, but here's some cool Frank Mir grappling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dj5xMeXybs

That was some cool skinny Roy Nelson grappling you mean.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Neeber posted:

That was some cool skinny Roy Nelson grappling you mean.

:thejoke:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Master robero cyborg vs barnett at metamoris V? Lets loving goooooo

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Saturday during the day, I was chilling at the IBJJF Chicago Open with my teammates (I didn't compete 'cause I am a lamer). The Chicago Open will attract the odd big name or two usually. This time we had Megaton Dias and Caio Motherfucking Terra. We saw Caio sitting by himself after his match and my pal Isaac decided to sneak behind him for some pictures. I took them and turned them into a picture book for the children called "Caio Terra Has No Friends." You can read it here: http://imgur.com/a/KRcqU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

josh b owns

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Agreed

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I still can't believe he subbed Lister

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Probably a repost but here is a video of Josh Barnett owning a professional magic the gathering player at magic the gathering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZzZzAuMfA

At least I think he's a MtG pro, he's definitely a starcraft pro. I don't understand the game but I still enjoyed the video.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Barnett/Lister match at Metamoris owned really hard. How much of an advantage really were Barnett's wrestling shoes? He seemed to be digging into the canvas really hard with them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

The Barnett/Lister match at Metamoris owned really hard. How much of an advantage really were Barnett's wrestling shoes? He seemed to be digging into the canvas really hard with them.

The announcer that fought said the floor wasn't slippery at all and he had no trouble with grip. I'm sure they gave him some grip, but I doubt it was match changing.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The announcer that fought said the floor wasn't slippery at all and he had no trouble with grip. I'm sure they gave him some grip, but I doubt it was match changing.

And it was also a risk to wear them against a grappler known for his excellent leglocks.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

And it was also a risk to wear them against a grappler known for his excellent leglocks.

Well, obviously it wasn't since Lister didn't get anywhere near Barnett's feet.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah, since Barnett was successful in implementing his gameplan. If he hadn't then his shoes could have turned out to be a serious mistake. In retrospect it turned out that he made the right choice, but it wasn't obvious beforehand.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That is not how risk works.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Probably a repost but here is a video of Josh Barnett owning a professional magic the gathering player at magic the gathering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZzZzAuMfA

At least I think he's a MtG pro, he's definitely a starcraft pro. I don't understand the game but I still enjoyed the video.

He's not a Starcraft pro he's just a commentator who was good at Brood War.

I know this because I'm a pathetic nerd.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Yeah, since Barnett was successful in implementing his gameplan. If he hadn't then his shoes could have turned out to be a serious mistake. In retrospect it turned out that he made the right choice, but it wasn't obvious beforehand.

Your phrasing makes it seem like he stumbled into all this. Barnett said "I have a plan to win" and he did.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Your phrasing makes it seem like he stumbled into all this. Barnett said "I have a plan to win" and he did.

I think he's making the point that if Dean had implemented his plan and gone to the positions where he has the advantage, then the shoes might've bit him in the rear end. Barnett put Dean where he wanted them. Before the match we all assumed it'd be the other way around.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sprecherscrow posted:

I think he's making the point that if Dean had implemented his plan and gone to the positions where he has the advantage, then the shoes might've bit him in the rear end. Barnett put Dean where he wanted them. Before the match we all assumed it'd be the other way around.

Yeah, my point was that, from Barnett's perspective, Lister wasn't going anywhere near his feet so wearing the shoes was a no-brainer.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
It's whatever man

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Edit: FINE

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 14, 2014

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Neurosis posted:

I assume this is legal but don't really have any idea.

What the hell makes you think this is legal?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sprecherscrow posted:

What the hell makes you think this is legal?

I rephrase: I don't particularly care, but I took it down anyway. It's really easy to find so whatever.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Neurosis posted:

I rephrase: I don't particularly care, but I took it down anyway. It's really easy to find so whatever.

Sorry, it's just I know Ralek has spoken about it, and while he has no interest in going through the proper channels to get these things taken down he's really disappointed to see it all get uploaded within days of the event.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What was it I want in

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

origami posted:

What was it I want in

The entirety of Metamoris IV. You could go find it, it wouldn't be hard, or go buy it off their site if you would like to give them your money.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
A group of us bought it but the stream quality was lacking for us unfortunately.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

origami posted:

A group of us bought it but the stream quality was lacking for us unfortunately.

If you bought it, you can log back in and watch it any time for like 3 months or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Josh Barnett did talk about the shoe issue in the pre-recorded bullshit. His point was something along the lines of leg defense is about not getting put into bad positions and knowing the counters, more so than relying on your foot being a bit more slippery. Like when people think of armbar defense it's about not having the arm isolated in the first place.