Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I guess, but I'm of the mind that not every game is suited to the achievement paradigm (if you want something grimmer, imagine a serious game centered around the holocaust or some such), so I personally don't care in this instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't disagree and I generally don't care about achievements/trophies or whatever, but I think TLOU has exceptionally stupid trophies. Almost all of the SP stuff is based around grinding a game that you don't need to grind.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I can see complaining about the PS3 DLC trophies but what the hell, TLoU has some seriously tame and easy trophies. Follow a walk through to pick up all the collectibles on one of your 3+ playthroughs, that poo poo isn't hard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't say they were hard I said they were exceptionally boring and lazy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Malt posted:

Find a recharge station, grab a 2-handed energy gun, and lure the enemies to you. Cheap and boring, but that's how I got through it on Uber.

The part where you go through the window a few levels prior was the most bullshit I've seen in a game in quite some time.

I died so many times at that window part. Then I thought "Maybe I'm not supposed to be fighting all these guys? I'll try running past them", so sprinted like hell instead of shooting. Made it to the exit of the room (the hole in the floor/wall) before dying. Respawned at the checkpoint at the exit of the room, with all the guys dead in the room behind me so I could go back and pick up all the health/weapons/armour unmolested. I guess the game assumes you'll only make it to the next checkpoint after killing all the enemies so it doesnt keep track.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

NESguerilla posted:

I didn't say they were hard I said they were exceptionally boring and lazy.

Is this your first time trophy hunting or something? There's nothing exceptional about some get all the collectibles trophies. There a thousand worse games out there.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

jonathan posted:

Is there anything new I should look into ? If I havent played Last of Us should I go buy that ? What else have I missed?

Uh, yeah. Play The Last of Us.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Equilibrium posted:

Is this your first time trophy hunting or something? There's nothing exceptional about some get all the collectibles trophies. There a thousand worse games out there.

No, but I'm not a much trophy hog either. Getting useless collectables over the course of a linear game that doesn't even let you backtrack is so lame though.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

No, but I'm not a much trophy hog either. Getting useless collectables over the course of a linear game that doesn't even let you backtrack is so lame though.

I'm starting to think you don't like the Trophies in TLOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Trophies and achievements are dumb.

Just play videogames and enjoy them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry I said that I thought a thing in a game was dumb. I still think it's dumb but I'm sorry I brought it up because it doesn't matter.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I mean, it's no surprise. The Uncharted's had terrible trophies as well.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TLOU trophies are funny since you can play the whole single player and not get one (or at least get really far into it like I currently am) and then get like 8 in one session playing multiplayer. Many of them are just "finish a game on ____ level with five downs."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry I said that I thought a thing in a game was dumb. I still think it's dumb but I'm sorry I brought it up because it doesn't matter.

But, but... but my cheevos!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

I guess, but I'm of the mind that not every game is suited to the achievement paradigm (if you want something grimmer, imagine a serious game centered around the holocaust or some such)

Spec Ops: The Line was criticized for exactly this. It's ~ludonarrative dissonance~ as hell to get halfway through a story about how nonstop killing turns people into subhuman monsters and suddenly get congratulated on your 50th headshot or whatever.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I'll agree the firefly pendants are pretty worthless except for one but there's cool world building stuff in the artifacts. Ish's sidestory is one of my favorite parts in the game. The little comments Joel makes when you're done reading them are a great little touch too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've always felt like a game should give you at least 50% of the trophies just by beating the game once, and the other half should be the more involved complex ones. I don't mind it in TLOU for some reason though. Maybe it's because it's a game I could play pretty much forever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Undead Muppet posted:

Grip chat:

I received a set of the Kelux grips for my birthday

No issues with them popping off? Didn't have to glue them?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For the longest time I didnt care about achievements, but then I was unemployed for a while and bored as gently caress. Couldnt afford to buy new games, so decided to try and get to 50% achievements on the games I already had as something to do while I was playing games Id already completed. Got a job, but kept working up to 50% (not 50% of the available gamerrscore, just more than half the achievements on my games). Then towards 55%. Then I realised I had started looking at achievement guides before I played a game (I never got as bad as playing a game just because it had easy achievements thankfully). It became a bad habit. Luckily playstations trophy system is not nearly as well integrated as the 360s (and I'm told the Xbones arent either) so its more or less cured me of playing games that way. Now I play the game the way I want to play it, and only bother looking at the trophy list if I'm seriously stuck for something to do. Do not regret abandoning my gamer score for one second.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've set up the "display borders" on my PS4, but I can tell from the interface in some apps that the screen is still getting cropped.

How the heck am I supposed to configure my screen, if the guiding corners aren't a proper indication of how it will look?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
the games are supposed to use the API to adjust for the corners you set. some games flat out don't care.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Twibbit posted:

the games are supposed to use the API to adjust for the corners you set. some games flat out don't care.
What about things like Netflix and regular movie discs?

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Christoff posted:

No issues with them popping off? Didn't have to glue them?

Nope. I just put them on straight out of the package. After about 100 hours of use they haven't popped off once, which was a constant issue with the older style FPS Freek I had been using.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

I sucked it up and ordered like 4 different stick covers since my sticks are starting to do the thing and have gotten a bit more slippery. Went for the dryest tackiest ones I could get and also grabbed the KF CQC special whatever edition since they look nice and don't add too much height. I really don't like the tall ones at all so hopefully they work out for me. If anyone's interested I'll post my thoughts on all of these once they get here on Tuesday.

I would love to have a mini review. I have "tall" snap on extenders from my ds3 that fit my ds4, but I am looking for something for my left stick that is shorter.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

cronox2 posted:

I'll agree the firefly pendants are pretty worthless except for one but there's cool world building stuff in the artifacts. Ish's sidestory is one of my favorite parts in the game. The little comments Joel makes when you're done reading them are a great little touch too.

The Ish plot is probably one of the best sidestories in a video game ever. Man, I wish I could experience that for a first time all over again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think this was already posted but there was another TLOU patch

And if you don't mind getting Destiny late
Destiny Pre-Order (PS4 or Xbox One) + $25 Dell eGift Card $60 + Free Shipping

Hotline Miami coming to PS4 with cross-buy (if you have the ps3 or vita version you'll get it)

Apparently Diablo 3 is 60gb in EU and US is 28gb

In case you didn'y already know Diablo 3 will get patch support on ps4

Save $15 on any video game in stock priced $39.99 or higher when you buy any pre-order card for $1 at Target Stores 8/10 - 8/16

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 9, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Christoff posted:

Apparently Diablo 3 is 60gb in EU and US is 28gb

Apparently the EU version is actual 2 different SKU's, so you either download just over 20 gigs (for Polish, Russian and possibly something else) or 40 gigs for EFIGS and probably some other languages as well.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Christoff posted:

In case you didn'y already know Diablo 3 will get patch support on ps4

Is this really a surprise in the last few years? Most games that are both console and PC usually have the same patch support, or am I just really naive?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lblitzer posted:

Is this really a surprise in the last few years? Most games that are both console and PC usually have the same patch support, or am I just really naive?

It was a minor controversy because Blizzard stated at one point that they weren't even sure if the game would be supported post-release.

Normally when a company says that they're not sure if it's going to happen - it's not going to happen. So Blizzard needed to clear the air.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Which other game(s) had it? None that I know of.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lblitzer posted:

Look at the Orange Box mess from last gen. The 360 in particular had terrible patching requirements (including tons of money), so they were rarely done. Games that get like 2, 3 patches sure they are always patched, but something like Diablo 3 might have 20+ patches before the game is "dead." That type of patching really wasn't done on the PS3/360.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Yeah as already said a lot of people claimed they weren't going to buy Diablo 3 because blizzard said it maybe probably might not get patch support

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It was a minor controversy because Blizzard stated at one point that they weren't even sure if the game would be supported post-release.

Normally when a company says that they're not sure if it's going to happen - it's not going to happen. So Blizzard needed to clear the air.
Right, so why would they say a thing like that? I thought Blizzard was one of the smart game developers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The 360 was by far the worst, with really strict certification requirements and bureaucracy to tackle, and a flat fee of $30k or $40k (I forget which) for every patch after the first, regardless of your game (it's what Activision had to pay for Call of Duty patches so they were fine since that kind of money is chump change for Activision, but for indies...) so a lot of games that have issues that are not only known, but theoretically very easy to fix to the point where the dev might even have a working patch, instead remain bug-ridden (sometimes game-breaking bugs). Playstation isn't as bad but there's still a process and you can't exactly issue weekly patches if you're small time.

So, for example, Payday 2 is extremely far behind on 360 compared to the PC version, and the PS3 version is sort-of between the two.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Annexed posted:

Which other game(s) had it? None that I know of.

Cod, Titanfall, Battlefield to name a few? I guess I am pretty naive simply because I haven't focused on console gaming in almost 15 years so yeah.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
By the end of last gen developers and publishers sucked it up and patched anyway. Battlefield 3 for 360...I can't loving tell you the amount of 2GB patches I had to download for that thing. It got to a point where I almost couldn't even play it anymore because my puny little 20GB hard drive was full with BF3 patches and nothing else.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

By the end of last gen developers and publishers sucked it up and patched anyway. Battlefield 3 for 360...I can't loving tell you the amount of 2GB patches I had to download for that thing. It got to a point where I almost couldn't even play it anymore because my puny little 20GB hard drive was full with BF3 patches and nothing else.

The fees were supposed to enforce quality assurance & control, and deter developers from doing a bad job, obviously didn't work for EA though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In 2005 the sole purpose of patching was to fix technical errors; modern games that receive frequent content updates and balance tweaks through patches were not yet a thing. No one had yet figured out that the internet could make a game a dynamic, constantly growing experience, and Microsoft being Microsoft they had too much inertia to allow experimenting on their sealed-box console platform.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Can someone link me specifically what adapter I'll need to use Turtle Beach X12s for both game and chat audio on a PS4? Preferably on Amazon. I found some things on the Turtle Beach website but I'm not sure if those are necessary or if there are cheaper alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

In 2005 the sole purpose of patching was to fix technical errors; modern games that receive frequent content updates and balance tweaks through patches were not yet a thing. No one had yet figured out that the internet could make a game a dynamic, constantly growing experience

I see you've never heard of the PC.

• Locked thread