Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

IM THA BEST GUEST CODER IN THE DWARFIN BIZ // I AINT EVEN KNOW WHOSE CODE THIS IS

Toady One posted:

A few more issues fixed today.
  • Made sparring people use their weapons properly
  • Fixed problem with squad leader assignment in military screen
  • Allowed individual burrows to restrict workshop item search
  • Displayed assigned citizen number in burrow list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder if the "64 bit experiment" that he mentioned will unclusterfrack a lot of bugs...like maybe there was a problem with a 32 bit buffer being filled from all the junk he tries to store during world gen, etc. I'll be curious to find out what changes and what he learns from that experiment.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Not My Leg posted:

I need some help with setting dwarf labors. Every time I start the game up I start looking at assigning labors for my dwarves, and then get paralyzed by having too many choices and quit. I'm just looking for a guide that makes sure I have essential jobs covered, and that the jobs actually get handled rather than guy who is supposed to be making beds running off to haul poo poo around. Basically, what should I do with my first 7 dwarves, and what other jobs should I be sure are covered as I get new dwarves/expand my fortress.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll keep going "these two guys can mine, this guy can cut wood, this guy can make things out of wood, and oh God I have no idea what these other jobs are and what I need to have covered. I quit."

The quick start guide definitely helps, what could help as well is just watch a few LPs of people know what they are doing.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Jackdaw Zero posted:

According to the wiki, GCS should already be able to breed, unless Toady made a stealth change to them. The female needs to be uncaged, though. And decently tame, too, to avoid accidents.

If you specifically want War (or Hunting) Giant Cave Spiders: data>save>[gcs region]>raw>objects>creature_subterranean, search for the giant cave spider entry, and add [TRAINABLE] after the [PET_EXOTIC] tag. Backup the txt doc before you edit it though, just in case.

Report how it works, and how much FUN you're having with your new webby friends!

Actually the wiki specifically says they can't breed because they lack the [CHILD] tag and looking at the raws proves it. I substituted the breeding information from mongooses so hopefully there will be giant cave spiderlings soon.

They are war and hunting trainable now, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scamtank posted:

IM THA BEST GUEST CODER IN THE DWARFIN BIZ // I AINT EVEN KNOW WHOSE CODE THIS IS

quote:

Allowed individual burrows to restrict workshop item search

What's that all about?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

dragon_pamcake posted:

Actually the wiki specifically says they can't breed because they lack the [CHILD] tag and looking at the raws proves it.

That was fixed in the latest patch, I believe? Creatures don't need a CHILD or BABY stage to reproduce any more.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Subjunctive posted:

What's that all about?

i assume theres an option now that prevents a burrow from hoarding all the stuff inside it for construction. right now if you have a thing in a burrow nothing can access that thing for buildings/reactions and its infuriating

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Not My Leg posted:

I need some help with setting dwarf labors. Every time I start the game up I start looking at assigning labors for my dwarves, and then get paralyzed by having too many choices and quit. I'm just looking for a guide that makes sure I have essential jobs covered, and that the jobs actually get handled rather than guy who is supposed to be making beds running off to haul poo poo around. Basically, what should I do with my first 7 dwarves, and what other jobs should I be sure are covered as I get new dwarves/expand my fortress.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll keep going "these two guys can mine, this guy can cut wood, this guy can make things out of wood, and oh God I have no idea what these other jobs are and what I need to have covered. I quit."

Copypaste this profile into embark_profile.txt and use it: http://pastebin.com/4uiSfu8V
This will set you up for a very easy newbie start, and you don't have to worry about setting up labours for awhile. They'll come enabled. This embark has all you need in terms of bags, barrels, hospital stuff etc and also sets you up for both chicksplosions and turkeysplosions so you can easily get a food and leather industry rolling by year two.

From 7 to 30 dwarves you can just tinker around in-game or in DF to get whatever labour you need enabled. After 30 I recommend switching to a more standardized setup in DF using customized professions. Set up the professions as a mask so they get applied on top of Base Citizen. Highlight all dwarves and use Clear Labour, then assign Base Citizen, and afterwards profession. Use sort by profession. Once you get migrant waves you can sort by Migration Wave to quickly assign newcomers to their new lots in life. I use a modified version of Idgarads:

Base citizen: This is what every dwarf should do. All dwarves have this template as a base, and I only switch it off in special cases.
Animal Care, Animal Hauling, Burial, Feed Patients/Prisoners, Food Hauling, Furniture Hauling, Item Hauling, Push/Pull Vehicles, Refuse Hauling, Stone Hauling, Wood Hauling.
Crop tender: This guy is your most important dwarf at the start. Farming.
Brewer: Your second most important dwarf at the beginning. Brewing.
Cook: Your third most important. Cooking.
Miner: This is one of the few professions where I turn off Base Citizen. These guys solely do Mining. I use two miners until 30, and up to 4 afterwards.
Commoner: These are basically your non-specialized dwarves, think of them as a labour pool for menial tasks as well as your recruitment material for other professions. They mostly do labour where skill level isn't very important (affecting only speed etc). Architecture, Butchery, Cheese Making, Dyeing, Furnace Operating, Lye Making, Milking, Milling, Plant Gathering, Plant Processing, Potash Making, Pressing, Shearing, Small Animal Dissection, Soap Making, Spinning, Tanning, Wood Burning, Cleaning.
Crafter: This profession is a catchall, but you'll want to split it up. Generally I never use more than three dwarves for one thing, even in huge fortresses. For example I pick three dwarves to be Masons, then deactivate all other crafting labour except Masonry on them. Mechanics, Carpentry, Gem Setting, Gem Cutting, Glassmaking, Glazing, Masonry, Pottery, Stone Crafting, Wax Working, Wood Crafting.
Lumberjack/Hunter: Even if you use a ton of wood, you can get by letting this guy do a secondary non-important profession. Hunting is a good choice. Wood Cutting, Hunting.
Fisherman: Very useful for early food production. Beware that in hostile biomes these are probably the first you'll lose. Fishing, Fish Cleaning, Fish Dissection.
Smith: How quickly you want these depend on how fast you beeline for forging. Armoring, Blacksmithing, Weaponsmithing, Metalcrafting, Furnace Operating.
Tailor: Not terribly important to setup quickly. Depends on your bag/leather armour needs. Weaving, Clothesmaking, Leatherworking.
Soldier: I dump all the military guys in here so they're easy to keep track off. No skills attached, so they only have Base Citizen on.
Noble: Same as with military, except here I sometimes turn off Base Citizen. You don't want your Broker running around doing item hauling instead of trading.
Doctor: Remember to set Chief Medical Dwarf in noble screen. The embark profile comes with one that has Diagnosis enabled, use him. Also you can turn off Base Citizen for these guys if you're getting tons of wounded. Diagnosis, Dressing Wounds, Feed Patients/Prisoners, Setting Bones, Surgery, Suturing.
Undertaker: Another profession where I turn off Base Citizen. This guy solely does Recover Wounded. I usually wait until 40-50 dwarves to have this. Until then it's a Commoner job.
Trainer: Solely does Animal Training. How quickly you want this depends on how much you love your war dogs.
Engraver: I only use one dwarf for this, so he'll get to Legendary+5 really quickly. This maximizes the chance that his engravings will be awesome. Let him smooth the entire fortress first and engrave afterwards. Stone Detailing.

For professions where skill levels matter I only use one, two or a maximum of three dwarves. I usually have only one engraver, two cooks/farmers/brewers and three of all types of crafters. There are other labour you want to deal with later (Siege Operating etc), but by the time you have to worry about that you'll understand the system.

Dante fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 9, 2014

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Too many children? Fun fact, children can be assigned to burrows!

I like assigning all mine to a pit that is periodically flooded so they learn to swim. It sometimes has captors impaled on spikes and only as much food as I decide is dumped down there too. Those who make it to adulthood get to enjoy a celebrated but often short life in the military! Mostly they just throw tantrums and throw things at each other, but that just means only the strong survive.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Subjunctive posted:

What's that all about?

0000434: Reaction jobs (unlike other jobs) don't look outside burrow for workers and raw materials (works through manager)

Edit: On second thought, this might not be it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The problem I see with that list of suggested jobs is only having 3 masons when you want to be building consctructions

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, make masonry one of those everyman jobs and gate the masonry workshops for only skilled craftsmen. Building walls doesn't raise the skill anyway, so people's skill sets stay all neat-like.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ProfessorGroove posted:

Too many children? Fun fact, children can be assigned to burrows!

I like assigning all mine to a pit that is periodically flooded so they learn to swim. It sometimes has captors impaled on spikes and only as much food as I decide is dumped down there too. Those who make it to adulthood get to enjoy a celebrated but often short life in the military! Mostly they just throw tantrums and throw things at each other, but that just means only the strong survive.

You are a horrible person but a good dwarf.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

The problem I see with that list of suggested jobs is only having 3 masons when you want to be building consctructions

scamtank posted:

Yeah, make masonry one of those everyman jobs and gate the masonry workshops for only skilled craftsmen. Building walls doesn't raise the skill anyway, so people's skill sets stay all neat-like.
Yeah these are good points. I usually don't build a lot constructions, but most people will want more dwarves with Masonry.

Other newbie tips:

Egg/leather industry:
Create two rooms (they can be underground, soil/rock doesn't matter), put doors on them and make them pet impassable. Designate the first one as a hen pasture and put all your hens there plus the rooster. Do the same with turkeys for the second room. Build a bunch of Nest boxes, then turn off turkey and hen eggs in the kitchen menu AND the food stockpiles. Now wait until the eggs hatch. Now you can begin harvesting hen eggs for amazing amounts of food and slaughter turkeys for vast amounts of leather.

Early export industry:
Make a craftdwarves workshop as soon as you dig out your essentials and set it to make rock crafts on repeat. Quick and easy exports for those first caravans.

Low stress defense:
For your first trial fortresses you probably have enough to fiddle with without worrying about getting slaughtered early on.

Cheaty version:
Caravans need a three-tile wide non-trapped path to your depot (which is much safer inside). They can however move down z-levels, just build a tree-wide tile of channels, then next z-level you dig three-tiles wide, then another three-wide tile of channels etc. Enemies will always take the shortest way to slaughter your dwarves. You can exploit this in the following manner:

Caravans enter on the left and take the long path. Enemies also enter on the left, but take the shorter one-tile wide path. The one-tile wide path is lined with traps (cage traps are very good). If they dodge the traps they have a high probability of dodging into the tiles you've channeled out. If you make this around ten tiles deep they will basically splat when they hit the bottom. The stair to the far left near the entrance is so the dwarves can get up from digging the falling area and also go down to scrape goblins off the ground and take their poo poo.
The first room after the trap area is a pasture filled with dogs. That makes sure that those trap-avoid stealth thieves get discovered. After that you have your depot.
The long narrow area marked for mining leads to the barracks. Dig it out then carve fortifications into the wall that faces the one-tile wide path. This will let your archers shoot your poor invaders.

Non-cheaty version:

Same deal except you tunnel into a mountain and use a bridge that raises south, effectively creating a wall. Put the lever in your dining room/meeting hall so there's always a dwarf nearby.

For both options you want to create a burrow for the inside area of your fortress, then create an alert for civilians you can toggle. This will help minimize your losses (mostly fisherdwarves, hunters, lumberjacks etc). When in doubt, pull the lever. Dwarves are replaceable.

Also in that last picture you can see the main "shaft" up/down stairway is a 3x3 except the middle tile isn't dug out. Do this on all levels, then after awhile dig it out and place high-quality statues there. Helps your happiness levels since it's a high-traffic area.

Dante fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 9, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I actually set all my basic citizens to mine these days. You don't actually need that much mining done normally, and if you need some the extra manpower is very useful.
Also it gives the haulers at least one important skill.

I only figured that out recently. I hadn't really understood what the changes in rock drops really meant.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

tonberrytoby posted:

I actually set all my basic citizens to mine these days. You don't actually need that much mining done normally, and if you need some the extra manpower is very useful.
Also it gives the haulers at least one important skill.

I only figured that out recently. I hadn't really understood what the changes in rock drops really meant.

Now that dfhack is inoperable you can't reveal ores anymore. This means you'll probably do some exploratory mining, and possibly having your farmer/carpenter/mechanic/ hacking at rock instead of doing other more important things. In general dedicated miners are very useful at the start, because the 5 other guys have more important things to do, but after that it doesn't matter much.

Dante fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 9, 2014

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Dante posted:

Tons of awesome, potentially table breaking when quoted stuff, including an awesome defensive layout.

That is an amazing and awesome defense guide. I've been taking to doing sinister/terrifying embarks, but my defensive designs have tended to be embarrassingly too human-y, as in moats and walls and drawbridges. I have been shown the light.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Velius posted:

That is an amazing and awesome defense guide. I've been taking to doing sinister/terrifying embarks, but my defensive designs have tended to be embarrassingly too human-y, as in moats and walls and drawbridges. I have been shown the light.
If you really want to create a death maze of pain you can build some siege engines in the area to the right of the one-tile wide path. Your invaders will basically enter the fortress, run over weapon traps, dodge into huge falls, run up the stairs and do it again, try to avoid cage traps, be pin-cushioned by archers, bombed by catapults and if they get through that they have a room filled with war dogs and axe/hammerdwarves to get through before even reaching your main stairwell. You can also just put a bridge before the stairwell and raise it to seal the fortress while the titans run the gauntlet. At that point you're basically invulnerable and only have to worry about hidden threats like vampires.

Vampire superprotip:
If you find a vampire, put him in a military squad by himself and make him put on armour. Use the move command to make him go to your bookkeepers office and wall him in there. Now make him your new bookkeeper. You now have an eternal bookeeper who will never go hungry or die, his clothes will rot off but he'll have armour on so he won't be unhappy. This also means your fortress is invincible since even in a catastrophic emergency you will never lose all dwarves. Even if all is FUBAR you can just wait for the next migrant wave.

Dante fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 9, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dante posted:

Yeah these are good points. I usually don't build a lot constructions, but most people will want more dwarves with Masonry.

Other newbie tips:

Egg/leather industry:
Create two rooms (they can be underground, soil/rock doesn't matter), put doors on them and make them pet impassable. Designate the first one as a hen pasture and put all your hens there plus the rooster. Do the same with turkeys for the second room. Build a bunch of Nest boxes, then turn off turkey and hen eggs in the kitchen menu AND the food stockpiles. Now wait until the eggs hatch. Now you can begin harvesting hen eggs for amazing amounts of food and slaughter turkeys for vast amounts of leather.

Early export industry:
Make a craftdwarves workshop as soon as you dig out your essentials and set it to make rock crafts on repeat. Quick and easy exports for those first caravans.

Low stress defense:
For your first trial fortresses you probably have enough to fiddle with without worrying about getting slaughtered early on.

Cheaty version:
Caravans need a three-tile wide non-trapped path to your depot (which is much safer inside). They can however move down z-levels, just build a tree-wide tile of channels, then next z-level you dig three-tiles wide, then another three-wide tile of channels etc. Enemies will always take the shortest way to slaughter your dwarves. You can exploit this in the following manner:

Caravans enter on the left and take the long path. Enemies also enter on the left, but take the shorter one-tile wide path. The one-tile wide path is lined with traps (cage traps are very good). If they dodge the traps they have a high probability of dodging into the tiles you've channeled out. If you make this around ten tiles deep they will basically splat when they hit the bottom. The stair to the far left near the entrance is so the dwarves can get up from digging the falling area and also go down to scrape goblins off the ground and take their poo poo.
The first room after the trap area is a pasture filled with dogs. That makes sure that those trap-avoid stealth thieves get discovered. After that you have your depot.
The long narrow area marked for mining leads to the barracks. Dig it out then carve fortifications into the wall that faces the one-tile wide path. This will let your archers shoot your poor invaders.

Non-cheaty version:

Same deal except you tunnel into a mountain and use a bridge that raises south, effectively creating a wall. Put the lever in your dining room/meeting hall so there's always a dwarf nearby.

For both options you want to create a burrow for the inside area of your fortress, then create an alert for civilians you can toggle. This will help minimize your losses (mostly fisherdwarves, hunters, lumberjacks etc). When in doubt, pull the lever. Dwarves are replaceable.

Also in that last picture you can see the main "shaft" up/down stairway is a 3x3 except the middle tile isn't dug out. Do this on all levels, then after awhile dig it out and place high-quality statues there. Helps your happiness levels since it's a high-traffic area.

Hahah I think I'm going to build this setup next time, I never thought of the separate path for caravans. The only thing I can see getting by this is an undead legion though... So adding a magma chamber somewhere along the line would make it perfect.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Why do you use chickens and turkeys? Wouldn't it be easier to focus on one type of bird? I like peafowl, they're almost as large as turkeys for butchering returns but only take one year to mature. Not quite as many eggs per clutch but honestly you're going to be swimming in eggs anyways.

E: Well it would be a bit more micro involved I suppose.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shibawanko posted:

Hahah I think I'm going to build this setup next time, I never thought of the separate path for caravans. The only thing I can see getting by this is an undead legion though... So adding a magma chamber somewhere along the line would make it perfect.

I will sometimes put a second bridge outside, so that I can open it briefly to let a couple enemies in, then close it while my dudes mop them up. Collect droppings, refill traps, repeat.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

Why do you use chickens and turkeys? Wouldn't it be easier to focus on one type of bird? I like peafowl, they're almost as large as turkeys for butchering returns but only take one year to mature. Not quite as many eggs per clutch but honestly you're going to be swimming in eggs anyways.

I use turkeys because the idea of dwarves raising peacocks is utterly alien to me. The dainty birds scream "elvish" to me.

Also, Herbalists (plant gatherers) shoud be specialized because it affects how many units they get from it, much like Farmers.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 9, 2014

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Turkeys give 9 meat and 12 eggs on average. Chickens give 6 meat and 9,5 eggs and peafowl results in 7 eggs and 8 meat. Turkey room for butchering and chicken room for food is an easy minmax strategy without a lot of fuss, but using peafowl is fine as well (as you said they mature faster). These stats may have changed in D2014 though, I haven't checked.

Of course if you really want to be efficient get some cave crocs and enjoy your truly ridiculous amounts of egg and meat. It's not really a newbie strategy though.

Excelzior posted:

I use turkeys because the idea of dwarves raising peacocks is utterly alien to me. The dainty birds scream "elvish" to me.

Also, Herbalists (plant gatherers) shoud be specialized because it affects how many units they get from it, much like Farmers.
Plant gathering is pretty useless except for some special cases (much like bees). It's not something new player should bother with. Even a small farm with the starting amount of plump helmet spawn from the embark profile will be enough for a 80+ dwarf fortress as long as you set plump helmets to brew only.

Dante fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 9, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

So it sounds like I've been wasting my time with large grazers like Yaks or Cows if I can get an Eggspolsion like that. Apparently I did the forbidding of the nest boxes wrong (forbade the boxes and not their content, lol), so I'll have to switch to this.

Are Sheep still good too? I've been watching a DF2012 tutorial and the guy seems to be doing a sort of above-ground fort over-top his base, so I'm thinking I might try that and put a butcher, pasture, farmer's workshop and fishery inside it?

Edit: My farmer's workshop cancels its Animal Shearing job when there are no sheep to shear, but doesn't pick it back up again. How often can animals be sheared so I know how often to re-add the job, or is there a way to keep it on automation?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

There's no way to automate it, but the growth rates of hair (i.e. wool) are visible in the creature's raw definitions.

code:
	[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
		[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
			[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
				[TLCM_NOUN:wool:SINGULAR]
			[TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
				[APP_MOD_NOUN:wool:SINGULAR]
				[APP_MOD_RATE:1:DAILY:0:300:0:0:NO_END]
				[APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:10:50:100:150:200:300]
			[SHEARABLE_TISSUE_LAYER:LENGTH:300]
By default rates, you can shear sheep once their wool gets "extremely long" about 10 months from shaving. Reducing the last token's integer lets you shear them more often.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

So it sounds like I've been wasting my time with large grazers like Yaks or Cows if I can get an Eggspolsion like that. Apparently I did the forbidding of the nest boxes wrong (forbade the boxes and not their content, lol), so I'll have to switch to this.
As far as I know it's still the case that large grazers like yaks and water buffalos literally cannot eat fast enough to avoid starving to death. Slaughter them immediately after building the butcher and tanner. Use the DF2014 embark profile I linked earlier and if you end up with anything other than sheep for grazers (migrants will bring random poo poo) just eat them. I actually think pigs are no longer grazers but whatever.

For a good compromise between efficiency, easy of use/oversight and aesthetics I really like a modified version of captain ducks setup:

From the fortress I posted earlier, not the location of the walled-in and roofed pasture to the right. There are only sheep there plus the pets migrants bring (I try to avoid slaughtering the pets). Also a refuse pile for squishy parts (top three in list) and corpses as well as a butcher. The stairs lead down the food production level which is immediately below (for soil reasons):

Top right room: big farm plot is plump helmets all year round, little one is pig tail, sweet pods, cave wheat, dimple cups. Stockpile between them is seeds only. Two farmers workshops and stairs up to pasture.
Top left room: two stills and big plant stockpile (green x)
Middle left room: Two kitchens at the bottom, a fishery at the top left. Dark blue X is an unprepared fish stockpile. Pink line is a tallow stockpile. Light blue X is an unprepared food stockpile. Yellow X is an egg stockpile.
Middle right room: Chicksplosion
Bottom left room: Entire room (red X) is a container stockpile, meaning finished goods-> wheelbarrows, barrels, bins, buckets, pots etc.
Bottom right room: Turkeysplosion.
Far bottom left room: Dining hall/meeting room. Orange stockpile is drinks, pink stockpile is prepared foods.

Digging this out and setting it up takes like 2 minutes and once your hit repeat on the kitchen and still you basically never have to worry about food or drink after the egg production is up and going. I've only run this fortress for a little bit to test out DF2014 features, using only two farmers, two cooks and two brewers. Feeding the dwarves has never been an issue, just set pump helmets to brew only:

Hope there's some egg and turkey meat preferences among your dwarves though, because a varied diet this ain't.

Dante fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 9, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My usual work profile is to look at what starting skills the migrant comes with, and what I need. Anything less than Competent I just treat as an unskilled peasant and get assigned to whatever I feel I need. Nobody is allowed to get away with just hauling. Then I just enable ALL the skills for a given category. Anyone working the farms gets all farming labors, metalsmiths get all forging labors, craftdwarves get all crafting skills, etc. There are only a few exceptions, such as farmers also getting fish cleaning because 9/10 times my fishermen will just sit there and fish forever, letting all the dozens of fish they caught rot without ever cleaning them. Masons get architecture, too, things like that. Miners are also an exception, as I remove all labors from them and never ever stop digging under any circumstances. I usually have pretty expansive layouts, though; my meeting hall in my latest fortress was a few dozen tiles wide and tall.

I really like the idea of having one single guy for engraving though, instead of giving it to my masons. That way I can have a single person starting to smooth stuff from the very beginning and eventually just get so good I can have everything smoothed as its dug out. I might switch over to that.

My embark profile lately has been trying to max equipment and minimize skills. To that end I find the two dwarves with the most stamina and make them novice miners (I could just leave them blank but I like to make them easier to spot when I embark without memorizing names), the on with the best social skills gets appraiser, negotiator, judge of intent, the one with the highest focus gets surgeon and bone doctor, and the one with the most durability/strength/agility/whatever gets discipline, teacher, and axedwarf. The other two I leave unskilled but turn them into a mason and a carpenter right away. My expedition leader gets all the farming skills, same with the doctor, but only temporarily. For equipment, I bring the standard amount of booze, then one of every type of milk to make cheese, and the rest is spent on one of as many two point meats as I can carry. Then I cook. I usually have about 10,000 dwarfbux worth of trade goods, depending on how hungry people get, by the time the autumn caravan arrives.

Also yaks and water buffalo can certainly eat enough to keep them going, at least on underground mosses. I had like 5 of them assigned to a 10x10 pasture (or maybe its 11x11, enter, shift+arrow, enter, whatever size that is) and they only get hungry after like a year, then I just move them to another empty one.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I really like the idea of having one single guy for engraving though, instead of giving it to my masons. That way I can have a single person starting to smooth stuff from the very beginning and eventually just get so good I can have everything smoothed as its dug out. I might switch over to that.
Another good reason to do this early on is that for some reason you're quite likely to have one of your dwarves inherit the king title early on (like when you only have 20 dwarves). Having a a legendary+5 engraver is quick and easy way to satisfy most of his annoying room requirements. I basically make a dedicated engraver as soon as I can spare a dwarf.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Also yaks and water buffalo can certainly eat enough to keep them going, at least on underground mosses. I had like 5 of them assigned to a 10x10 pasture (or maybe its 11x11, enter, shift+arrow, enter, whatever size that is) and they only get hungry after like a year, then I just move them to another empty one.
Interesting, I've never tried grazing them underground. I'll give that a try. Also yeah my experience with fishermen is that either they only fish, or they fish way more than they clean. I usually have one guy just fish and the other guy just clean, but that's probably a pretty inefficient setup.

Dante fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 9, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Shibawanko posted:

My version always has the area under the paths (the splattered enemies/gather loot area) be a retractable bridge, and the path to it for gathering dwarves blocked by default unless I'm doing a loot run. When it gets too dirty down there, or too full of tough enemies, I leave the dwarf entrance locked and open up the retractable bridge to let everything fall into the magma pool below.

I also designate the dwarf-side of the gauntlet pit as a dump, since dwarves can dump things off edges, so it's basically my trash incinerator but with the bonus of also effecting living enemies and items dumped/loot piled up are retrievable until I decide to run it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Gus Hobbleton posted:

My embark profile lately has been trying to max equipment and minimize skills. To that end I find the two dwarves with the most stamina and make them novice miners (I could just leave them blank but I like to make them easier to spot when I embark without memorizing names),
On the embark screen, you can assign a dwarf a custom profession name and/or a nickname. I usually use Dwarf Therapist to look at the attributes, then just change their profession/nickname from there, but you can also do it in game. You can use this to mark one a dwarf as a "miner" without giving him a skill.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

Apparently I did the forbidding of the nest boxes wrong (forbade the boxes and not their content, lol), so I'll have to switch to this.

OK, so I just checked and it looks like the boxes are forbidden correctly and eggs aren't being stockpiled, but there's a dozen eggs in some of these nest boxes with no hatching…?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jackson Taus posted:

OK, so I just checked and it looks like the boxes are forbidden correctly and eggs aren't being stockpiled, but there's a dozen eggs in some of these nest boxes with no hatching…?

I'm not certain on the time required for eggs to hatch, but I give them a year. If they don't hatch by then I unforbid the stack and try again.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Is there a way to see what my dwarves are horrified of? I see where they're being horrified, but what horrifies them there? I thought it was a corpse trapped in a tree, but I fixed that and they're still horrified...

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

It takes awhile for them to hatch, alternatively just lock the door. Forbidding nest boxes is buggy in my experience. Or forbid them in the stockpiles and kitchen menu.

Dante fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 10, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Alright so I see people assigning jobs based on dwarf preferences and traits, how does this work? And is it worthwhile?

Similarly, I've seen people talk about assigning skill points on embark based on same, but how can you even see the details about the dwarfs before you've embarked?

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Dante posted:

Defensive Stuff
I also like to have a dedicated 3x3 staircase for openings into the cavern layer, which I can seal off from my main staircase by drawbridge. This way if creatures come in from a cavern layer it doesn't scare all my normal dwarves doing normal dwarf things. Also, have a squad at the top of this shaft to kill anything that wanders in.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reading posted:

I wonder if the "64 bit experiment" that he mentioned will unclusterfrack a lot of bugs...

it will probably create a whole new slew of bugs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dante posted:

Other newbie tips:

Egg/leather industry:

You really don't need the hens at all, turkeys are better in every way. Turkeys produce 10-14 eggs, hens produce 4-15 eggs. The rare times that hens produce 15 eggs and therefore more than possible for a turkey, will be more than offset by the many times they produce 4-9 eggs. On average a turkey produce 12 eggs, and a hen produces 9.5.

When you slaughter the useless males for meat/leather, turkeys are vastly superior. A full grown chicken produces 13 edibles and 4 bones, to a turkey's 19 edibles and 6 bones. Both take 2 years to reach full grown. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Domestic_animal#Comparison_of_domestic_poultry

I'd suggest keeping a cage in/near your hen houses, and lock up all the juveniles to save some FPS drain. If FPS isn't an issue yet, keeping the surplus male juveniles in a pasture near your entrance can provide a valuable hostile distraction and passive thief detection. Big things have trouble hitting tiny things, so they can buy you a surprising amount of time to get your military formed up. You'll lose some meat since tame creatures killed by hostiles can't be butchered, but better that they fill your poults than your dwarfs full of arrows.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Here's a weird one: had a baron, a general, and the king show up as merchants with the caravan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if cloth can be masterfully dyed? Even with a Legendary Dyer I'm only seeing exceptional dye jobs.