Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

fong posted:

The best thing about the rage is that it makes you immune to just about everything in the game and can't be dispelled. Its probably the best kit-based ability, maybe second to Offensive Spin that Blades get.

But ya play whatever you want, straight fighter is still great

It's really good early on, and the best part is the immunity to imprisonment which makes a certain fight a lot easier (you could accomplish the same thing with Korgan or Minsc in your party, though).

However, it still does not make you immune to Mind Flayer int drain.

Later on when real fighters start earning HLAs the Berserker/Mage will fall behind in offensive power and serve more as a mage with melee to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

fong posted:

The best thing about the rage is that it makes you immune to just about everything in the game and can't be dispelled. Its probably the best kit-based ability, maybe second to Offensive Spin that Blades get.

But ya play whatever you want, straight fighter is still great

Rookersh posted:

I get what you are saying, and when I go through Temple/Icewind/Neverwinter I'll probably do a Barb/Mage. Didn't make enough sense for my Candlekeep raised character to be big on Barbarian rages though, and the benefit looks like it peters out by the end of BG1 anyways. It's not like BG1 is very hard when you have a 18/96 str, 17 dex, 17 con, 17 int character though ( first roll! ).

And yeah, being a Fighter for the entirety of BG1 ( when it's awesome/amazing/the best choice hands down ), just to become a Mage in BG2 ( when it's awesome/amazing/the best choice hands down ) is what convinced me to do this. The first dungeon is so easy I can do it in my sleep, and Minsc/Jaheria are powerful enough to protect my low level Mage as he gets all his levels back. If I didn't know better, I'd say Chateau Irenicus was specifically designed to boost BG1>BG2 dual classers that wanted to switch at 9.

I've also come to love Sword and Shield style in BG1. Absolutely useless come BG2/ToB, but with how many archers are in BG1, it helps a lot. I'm at -6AC versus anyone shooting at me at level 1, which basically means I'm invincible to them. I could probably solo a fairly huge chunk of the Bandit Camp if I wanted by just parking my CHARNAME at the gate then having Imoen shoot everyone.

Just a note, they recommended Berserker/Mage, not Barb/Mage. Berserker is a fighter kit, basically a fighter with a temper problem, not a Barbarian from the outlands, for role playing purposes. Particularly with the storyline of the main character, it's perfectly reasonable for them to be a fighter with anger issues.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

A scroll of Protection from Undead should also trivialize the encounter, but I can't remember if SCS nerfed those or not.

It did, supposedly. The description said that it only mitigated 50% of physical damage from undead attackers IIRC. I haven't tested it out, though.

Protection from Magic cheese has also been removed - it's now dispelled by Spell Strike. Not sure if any of BG1 liches have it (I did not play BG1 SCS, I wasn't even aware there were liches in that game) but all of the 'real' BG2 liches do.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 9, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Necroskowitz posted:

I'm trying to use EEKeeper to change Hexxat's class into something more useful but it doesn't give her the abilities she should have at that level. How do I go about giving her appropriate abilities? Also, under 2e tabletop rules would her "race" be able to dual-class or multiclass?

EDIT: Also, I'm using SCS and Navaziah is utterly untouchable. Is there no way my level 8 party can defeat him?

If you're turning her into a kit, there should be a button that says "kit" under the innate tab, then you select the right kit and the right level range. This is in Shadow Keeper, I haven't used EE Keeper, but I imagine it's the same.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Kubla Khan posted:

It did, supposedly. The description said that it only mitigated 50% of physical damage from undead attackers IIRC. I haven't tested it out, though.

Protection from Magic cheese has also been removed - it's now dispelled by Spell Strike. Not sure if any of BG1 liches have it (I did not play BG1 SCS, I wasn't even aware there were liches in that game) but all of the 'real' BG2 liches do.

There are no liches in BG1. SCS won't add any either, that would be ludicrous.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 9, 2014

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
On the subject of Berserker to Mage duals, can you do that with a Dwarf Berserker, given that dwarves are restricted to being Illusionists?

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Semi-mental posted:

On the subject of Berserker to Mage duals, can you do that with a Dwarf Berserker, given that dwarves are restricted to being Illusionists?

Duals are restricted to the human race.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
And it's gnomes that can only be Illusionists. I don't think Dwarves
can be mages at all.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What level do people recommend for Ulcaster/Firewine/Durlags/Ulgoths?

I'm roaming around the wilderness levels between Nashkel and Beregost. Originally it was just for fun, then I realized I was getting a ton of + items, and tons of stuff to sell by exploring everything. I'm not level 4/5 on most of my party and I haven't even touched the Nashkel Mines yet. :v:

All that's really left for me to do down here is the Nashkel Mines and the three dungeons, but I remember getting trounced when I did them as a kid. Should I wait until after I reach Baldurs Gate, or should level 5's be able to clear them?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Ulcaster & Firewine should be fine, but the others are out of your league, especially if you don't really know what you're doing. Even with Firewine you should be really careful though, there's a couple of really tricky encounters there. Definitely do not touch at your level if you're playing SCS.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rookersh posted:

What level do people recommend for Ulcaster/Firewine/Durlags/Ulgoths?

I'm roaming around the wilderness levels between Nashkel and Beregost. Originally it was just for fun, then I realized I was getting a ton of + items, and tons of stuff to sell by exploring everything. I'm not level 4/5 on most of my party and I haven't even touched the Nashkel Mines yet. :v:

All that's really left for me to do down here is the Nashkel Mines and the three dungeons, but I remember getting trounced when I did them as a kid. Should I wait until after I reach Baldurs Gate, or should level 5's be able to clear them?

I'm at about the same point. I've cleared out Firewine and Ulcaster, but I wouldn't touch any of the ToTSC content (inclusive of Durlag's Tower and Ulgoth's Beard) until late chapter 6 at the earliest, chapter 7 would be best. Firewine was definitely tougher and more annoying than Ulcaster.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

As requested, I'm posting the new update to the blog on here. I won't spam this board every entry but if you guys dig it, bookmark away!

http://duckfeed.tv/infinityengineers/oh-brother-thurm

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You will have encountered cobold commandos elsewhere, if you can deal with them fine then you can deal with Firewine. The only other tricky bit is a mage fight which is definitely manageable at level 5, particularly if youre using ranged weapons. And if you can't beat the mage normally then you can always enter Firewine from the basement of that dude in Gullykin's house and pop out right on top of the mage.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Playing through IWD again (maybe I'll beat it this time!), it's kinda hilarious that the yuan-ti goddess boss isn't immune from entangle or web. The strategy of having my fighter with the ring of free action talk some poo poo, run backwards out of her trap-laden room and then throwing spike growth on top of the entangle/web combo, then whittling her down with ranged weaponry like every other chump in the game shouldn't actually work. Hell, the room full of yuan-ti archers was actually more difficult.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In our coop playthrough of BG2 EE, we just picked up viconia and out of the reputation drop, Aerie is threatening to leave a lot. The "if you don't change things I'll leave" voice clip. She won't actually leave until a further reputation drop right? Not just time passing at this reputation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Playing through IWD again (maybe I'll beat it this time!), it's kinda hilarious that the yuan-ti goddess boss isn't immune from entangle or web. The strategy of having my fighter with the ring of free action talk some poo poo, run backwards out of her trap-laden room and then throwing spike growth on top of the entangle/web combo, then whittling her down with ranged weaponry like every other chump in the game shouldn't actually work. Hell, the room full of yuan-ti archers was actually more difficult.

From what I remember Yxunomei has spell resistance at least. Also she's a marilith which just really makes her insane to face at that level in pen and paper terms.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

LibbyM posted:

In our coop playthrough of BG2 EE, we just picked up viconia and out of the reputation drop, Aerie is threatening to leave a lot. The "if you don't change things I'll leave" voice clip. She won't actually leave until a further reputation drop right? Not just time passing at this reputation.

If you are at 3-5 reputation she will stay but if you remove her from your party she won't ever rejoin you, at 1 or 2 reputation she will leave on her own.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

kaschei posted:

If you are at 3-5 reputation she will stay but if you remove her from your party she won't ever rejoin you, at 1 or 2 reputation she will leave on her own.

This is good to know. Thanks.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Wolfsheim posted:

Finally playing IWD, and I just did that fight. I have no rogue, so the traps on the level were a huge pain in the rear end. Also you cannot rest and I could not be arsed to go all the way back, even though I was all out of spells and most of the party in red hp.
I barely beat her by using all the buffing potions I had left (my hoarding ways finally paying off!), opening the fight by murdering the dispelling priest with an invisible, hasted 21-strength and regenerating paladin. She then dodged the cloudkill, gibbed the marilith, followed by mopping up the rest with some ranged support.

IWD really is SO much more fun combat-wise than bg.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
First time I played IWD as a kid I had insane troubles with the Marilith. When I played it again two or three years ago I just had everyone using ranged weapons and I think she went down before she actually managed to get in melee range of anyone v:shobon:v

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

kujeger posted:

Finally playing IWD, and I just did that fight. I have no rogue, so the traps on the level were a huge pain in the rear end. Also you cannot rest and I could not be arsed to go all the way back, even though I was all out of spells and most of the party in red hp.
I barely beat her by using all the buffing potions I had left (my hoarding ways finally paying off!), opening the fight by murdering the dispelling priest with an invisible, hasted 21-strength and regenerating paladin. She then dodged the cloudkill, gibbed the marilith, followed by mopping up the rest with some ranged support.

IWD really is SO much more fun combat-wise than bg.

Why would you not have a rogue, though? So many inavoidable traps and locked chests...

I actually multiclassed an elven mage/thief on my current run, which worked a lot better than when I tried fighter/mage and fighter/thief last time. You just keep that character as far out of combat as possible.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 10, 2014

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Wolfsheim posted:

Why would you not have a rogue, though? So many inavoidable traps and locked chests...

I actually multiclassed an elven mage/thief on my current run, which worked a lot better than when I tried fighter/mage and fighter/thief last time. You just keep that character as far out of combat as possible.

Wizard and bard with knock takes care of the chests, and I have just used my figther to "disarm" any traps. Turned out that the traps in the yuan-ti lair were unlimited though. Only time it has been an issue, but after a little while I figured out their locations.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I always prefered Branwen to Viconia as my Cleric in BG1, because they hadn't yet worked out how to code MR properly and healing or buff spells bouncing off drow magic resistance annoyed me so much.

Branwen's home kingdom of Norheim and the settlement of Seawolf on its largest island, Giantspine, are both FR canon from the 1e/2e switchover and its pushing of the Moonshae Isles as a pseudo-Dark Age Britain place to have your adventures. The Norheimers are notable because their land is so crap that they spend even more time raiding than the rest of the Northmen in Moonshae, and will go so far as to hire themselves out to mainlanders. Branwen is therefore a very good choice for a Northwoman found outside the Moonshae.

As to the woman issue, Tempus is never mentioned to have a problem with them and nor is there a specific injunction in the Moonshae sourcebooks (maybe the actual fiction series?) against women becoming his priests. On the other hand, the Northmen always are Northmen in the sources, and the women are briefly skimmed over just as forbidden from meeting outsiders, so Branwen's backstory probably underplays the amount of sexism she would have faced in the pen and paper world.

Anyway, very cool commentary and thoughts. Please do spam the thread whenever you update. :)

Meanwhile, since I was checking Branwen's dialogue in NI, have some BG1 cut content.

BRANWP.DLG, party join dialogue posted:

I have not much to tell you, but this: I was a foolish woman and joined the forces of these Loki spawn, The Iron Throne. I was insubordinate to my commander, and for punishment they locked me up in a prison cell for many weeks.

CHHELP.DLG, for some kind of annoying, fourth wall breaking, reminder character? posted:

• It is my humble opinion that we head to Nashkel. It's where all the action is.
  • Is there a reason why we haven't tried to investigate the Nashkel mines? Because, if there is, perhaps you could tell us.
  • You're a moron. That's the only explanation I can think of as to why we haven't gone to Nashkel yet. Perhaps you can prove me wrong?
  • Instead of dawdling around, we should try and find out who or what is behind the disappearances at the mine.
  • There's no point in investigating the lower levels of the mines; if we did, we might actually learn what's going on down there, gods forbid that!
  • This might be a far cry here, but if there's been bandits who've been raiding the main roads, and they've been targeting iron caravans, might it not be wise for us to investigate? Perhaps even find out where they're coming from?
  • If I could be so bold, might I suggest that we find the bandits who've been raiding the Coast Way.
  • I suggest we find that secret base that's supposed to be in Cloakwood.
  • Why haven't we gone to the SECRET BASE IN CLOAKWOOD! Are we STUPID! DO WE HAVE NO COMMON SENSE! Maybe we should just frolic about naked, singing colorful little ditties until the Iron Throne finds us and HACKS US TO BITS! ....... Sorry, I got a little excited there.
    You know; we could locate the secret base in Cloakwood. It's just a suggestion.
  • Though the wilderness is nice and all, perhaps we could visit Baldur's Gate. After all, isn't that where the Iron Throne's headquarters is located.
  • I'm really yearning to see the big city, especially since we know that the Iron Throne's headquarters is there.
  • I've been trying to think of some sort of reason why we should go to Baldur's Gate, but I can't really think of any. Except, perhaps, that it's THE GOD DAMNED NAME OF THE GAME.
  • Perhaps the city of Baldur's Gate may hold some of the secrets we search for.
  • Maybe we should break into the Iron Throne's base. We might learn a great deal about their methods and plans.
  • We were supposed to go to Candlekeep; do you remember? I guess it's no big deal, it's not like Duke Eltan's an important man; why bother doing what he says. In fact, I say; why don't we go back there right now and tell Eltan to get stuffed!
  • Hmmmmmm...... I'm trying to remember what we had to do. What was it? Oh yes, now I remember, something about Candlekeep and the Iron Throne, and the END OF THE SWORD COAST AS WE KNOW IT!!!!
  • I say we investigate Candlekeep. I don't know why the Iron Throne leaders have gone there, but it's awfully suspicious.

GORIOD.DLG, text with above spoken line posted:

Awake my adopted child. Awake and face the terrible tests ahead of thee. Speak not, for I have but little time. This place is the Between. 'Tis not so much real, as it is a dream, though not so much a dream, as it is real. That which should be dead can cast its tentacles here, and your life is already wound within its grasping limbs. There is always hope, however, and your actions here shall determine the grip with which you are held. I can tell you no more of your true lineage than I did in life, but you will learn much here. You must pursue several items, for they are key to who you are. A Talon is the first, followed by the horn of great beast, a candle of light, a dagger of bone, a potion of blood and tears, and a blackened skull. I must leave you now, for 'tis a great strain to remain in the Between. No ordinary mortal can remain for long, so I must leave you to your search. I wish I could say I am leaving you here alone, but you are not. Seek wisely and true, and remember ye well: 'Tis often the journey that shapes the child, and not so much where they must go.

• Warrior (deleted): Help! I need your aid! There are too many!
  • VOICE: You've not the time for this! You must get the talon before it's taken by another!
  • VOICE: Leave the fool to his own battle! You have a destiny to follow!
  • WARRID: I am so cold...(moan)...I...am dying... Please...stay with me awhile...
  • VOICE: Leave him...get the talon! He is beyond help. It is pointless to stay!
  • WARRID: I don't want to die alone...
    Presumably a choice by the player to stay with him or not, though there's no text for it.
    Player stays (1)

• WARRID: Thank you ...
  • VOICE: You have squandered your time and lost the talon! Unfortunate. Changes will have to be made.
    Player leaves to take the talon. (2)
  • VOICE: The talon that gives power to those demanding, and abandons the weak to their fate. You are stronger for it.

• Messenger (deleted): Salutations! I have come looking for someone, to deliver a gift. A horn actually.
  • VOICE: It is the horn you seek! Claim what should be yours!
  • MESSED: I seek the First Reader of this great library. Perhaps you have seen him? This is to be his property, and I can give it to no other.
  • VOICE: It is of no concern who it's truly for! Take what is meant for you! He'll never know the difference!
  • MESSED: Do you claim to be the First Reader?

• PLAYER (1): Yes, I am who you seek.
  • MESSED: Then I bear a message for you as well. [Action: Die ()]
  • VOICE: The horn with the will to take what is yours, and what should be yours.

• PLAYER (2): No, and I have not seen him.
  • MESSED: Nor would you want the gift I bear. I take my leave.
  • VOICE: You betray what you were born to be! There will be a price to pay!

• Sorceror (deleted): Young one! Please stop a while. I need your help. I am old and dying...and I've one hope left to me. In my room...there is an enchanted candle. It has one last wish spell within it. I am too weak to retrieve it, but you could.
  • VOICE: It is the candle you must seek!
  • SORCED: This candle is my last chance, child. Please...bring it to me.
  • VOICE: Forget the old man! His time is past! The wish should be yours!
  • VOICE: Use it yourself, and know the legacy of your true father!

Presumably if you use the candle to awake your Bhaalspawn heritage more or something ...
  • VOICE: You have done well.
    And if you don't ...
  • SORCED: Thank you, I am renewed. You have resisted great temptation for a strangers (sic) benefit. A rare act of compassion for one destined so.
  • VOICE: You have wasted the power of the candle on the old man! There is much to be done before you are worthy!

• VOICE: Seek the dagger next! It is nearby in the hands of a great evil Ogre! Slay it and take your rightful prize!
  • White Knight (deleted): You there! Help me dispose of this beast! His kind are a plague on the land!
  • Ogre (deleted): Me no beast! Me don't want fight! Go 'way!
  • WHITKD: Don't believe a word it says! Born evil they are! Everyone knows that! The only good Ogre, is a dead Ogre!
  • VOICE: Look at them! The knight is obviously the one to help! The beast cannot be other than it was born to be! Kill it!
  • OGRED: Shiny man attack ME! I be good but he make fight! He want kill for no reason!
  • VOICE: The beast is an Ogre! They are evil; they cannot be otherwise! Do what you know MUST be done! Will you attack it or not?!

Nay
  • PLAYER (1): Ogre or not, this creature is no threat. I'll not harm him!
  • OGRED: You no hurt me, me no hurt you! Me don't care if me born bad! Me be good if me want to! You too...remember. You born VERY bad. Maybe you be good if you want too.
  • VOICE: You disrespect your true calling at every turn. It will make your destiny all the more painful!
  • VOICE: Pathetic! You are not even worthy of the true test! It is a wonder you are suitable at all!

Aye
  • PLAYER (2): The beast will die, as all of it's (sic) kind should!
  • WHITKD: You chose right! Beings of flesh ARE what they ARE. There is no escaping your destiny. Best you remember that! Here, this is yours!
  • VOICE: A dagger of bone. A piece of the father bred in the child. You will be what you were born to be.

• VOICE: The potion you seek is here! Search the bodies! Their dead hold the prize!
  • Poisoned man (deleted): Please...that pack of gnolls...they poisoned me. Was there a flask among them? It must be the antidote. Please...
  • VOICE: Ignore him! Drink the potion yourself and know the essence of your heritage!
  • POISOD: Please...show some charity...I'll die without it.

Choice...

• PLAYER (1): My destiny is more important than your paltry life. Cheers.
  • VOICE: Drink deep the blood of the father and the tears of the dead. They shall sustain you, for they are the very essence of your destiny!

• PLAYER (2): I cannot refuse this man his very life! He needs this potion more than I!
  • POISOD: Thank you...Your actions are my antidote. Let the blood of the father not despoil the son!
  • VOICE: It is an insult to the very blood in your veins! You WILL learn to act accordingly!

• Woman (deleted): Greetings fellow traveler. I have been entrusted to give this skull to they who are most worthy.
  • VOICE: It is the last item you seek! Of course you're worthy of it!
  • WOMAND: The recipient must be more heroic, charitable, courageous, and HUMBLE than anyone else living or dead. Are you such a person?
  • VOICE: You know you are all that and more! You have power immeasurable in your future! You are destined for a veritable godhood!

In which being an evil psycho proves you are a moron beyond belief.

• PLAYER (1): I am all that you seek! There are none alive or dead better than I!
  • WOMAND: Truly you deserve this and whatever else it brings. You've the ego of a deity to believe yourself humble and yet claim to be better than all who have died. It will certainly make the bonding easier...though not for you!
  • VOICE: It is the Godhead itself, literal and figurative! Prepare yourself, for the return will come soon!

• PLAYER (2): Many a great person has walked this land. I cannot claim to be above them all.
  • WOMAND: The Godhead is rejected! Can there yet be hope? We shall see...
  • VOICE: Your fate will be sealed despite your petty rejection of the ways of your father. The return is nigh regardless!

• VOICE: I am the essence of Bhaal within you. You must release your will, that your body may become the conduit for your father's rebirth!
  • VOICE: Fight, that the violent death of your mind shall pave the way! The Return will live with your death!

• VOICE: Weakling fool! You have spurned your fathers gifts and your heritage. You can only pay with your blood! A god cannot be contained in death! Your mind is but a stepping stone!

• VOICE: You'll not prevail! The strength that was given returns to the source! I am the stronger!

• VOICE: You have balanced the scales with your actions, but The Return cannot be stopped!

• VOICE: It is not the end! So long as you...or any child of Bhaal lives...the potential...is there. Many will seek the power you forsake! One son nears it now! The Return...can not...be stopped...(fade out) (sic)

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 10, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
The VOICE lines are all in BG2 as well and I spent way more time on locating the possible place for this than possible :sweatdrop: The UBBG1 crew should really do this.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

That cut dream sequence sounds really interesting. I wonder where it was originally supposed to be, and why it was cut. I always felt that the Bhaalspawn story in BG1 felt a bit tacked on, maybe because of the cut content?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I like how for all his plotting, Bhaal never thought his strongest son might actually end up being a decent human being.

Kind of a fatal flaw!

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

To be fair, it's quite a tough balancing between being a decent person and adventuring (read: being a murder hobo).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I think it's interesting because this is one of the few places in BG1 that a Bhaalspawn appears to actually be trying to do what Bhaal says. Sarevok thinks he's tamed the last shreds of Bhaal's will within the power, that he can resurrect the divinity without the consciousness and take it for his own; the dreams you get at low rep are all about gently caress Bhaal, Got Mine. You toss aside his dagger, not because it's evil, but because you want to throttle Mulahey with your bare hands. It's a more genuine and, dare I say, subtle evil that BioWare's grand plots and pulpy writing don't usually admit: venal, cruel, ambitious, power hungry, but not the unreasoning murder machine that so often turns up - and which Bhaal represents. That this sequence ignores that and goes the 'loyal' path, at the very least until right at the end (and that's all so disjointed and incomplete it's impossible to tell what's going on), maybe says to me that this was cut not just for time reasons but also because it didn't fit with the vision for the game.

On that subject, I have the dreams and ending text in a document (with what I presume are location markers of some sort - BAV 19267 for the good version of the first dream, BAV 19268 for the evil version et cetera), but NI can't track them down in game. Is that text actually stored in the game files? If so, does anyone know where it is?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Sleep of Bronze posted:

On that subject, I have the dreams and ending text in a document (with what I presume are location markers of some sort - BAV 19267 for the good version of the first dream, BAV 19268 for the evil version et cetera), but NI can't track them down in game. Is that text actually stored in the game files? If so, does anyone know where it is?

DRMTXT2-DRMTXT7.2da

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

DRMTXT2-DRMTXT7.2da

Thank you.

E: Even exported, those only display

quote:

2DA V1.0
NONE
0 1
SWITCH DEFAULT REPUTATION
DEFAULT -1 -1
GOOD_REPUTATION -1 19267
BAD_REPUTATION -1 19268
GOOD_POWER SPIN101 NONE
BAD_POWER SPIN104 NONE

and the like, not the text itself.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Use Infinity Explorer, it converts all string references to text when you click them :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I think it's interesting because this is one of the few places in BG1 that a Bhaalspawn appears to actually be trying to do what Bhaal says. Sarevok thinks he's tamed the last shreds of Bhaal's will within the power, that he can resurrect the divinity without the consciousness and take it for his own; the dreams you get at low rep are all about gently caress Bhaal, Got Mine. You toss aside his dagger, not because it's evil, but because you want to throttle Mulahey with your bare hands. It's a more genuine and, dare I say, subtle evil that BioWare's grand plots and pulpy writing don't usually admit: venal, cruel, ambitious, power hungry, but not the unreasoning murder machine that so often turns up - and which Bhaal represents. That this sequence ignores that and goes the 'loyal' path, at the very least until right at the end (and that's all so disjointed and incomplete it's impossible to tell what's going on), maybe says to me that this was cut not just for time reasons but also because it didn't fit with the vision for the game.

The BG1 dream sequences are one of the very few things about playing Evil in this game that are legitimately well written. It was my first time doing an Evil campaign not too long ago and I was genuinely surprised by how cool they were. The Mulahey one also stuck out to me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
But if you go Evil, don't you lose out on being able to cast Draw Upon Holy Might as a Fighter?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Wait wait wait; the dream sequences are different if you have low rep?!

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Rookersh posted:

But if you go Evil, don't you lose out on being able to cast Draw Upon Holy Might as a Fighter?

Yes but strenght potions so who cares

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Use Infinity Explorer, it converts all string references to text when you click them :v:

Aha! I dislike using Explorer because it's got so much less meat on it than NI, but that's really useful. Thank you again.

... Now that's interesting. There strings I have saved as epilogue texts aren't referenced by anything else in the game, and the epilogue text I can find in the final chapter .2da is quite different:

Final text posted:

The struggles you have faced are over for now, and you shall climb from this vile place victorious. Your actions here will ease the burdens of many, although most will never know the name of their benefactor. Nonetheless, the citizens of the Sword Coast can rest soundly this night, even as you lay troubled in whatever Inn you find yourself. Sarevok's death is not the closure you had hoped for, and many questions remain unanswered. There will be more trials to come, but they are for another day...

More (presumed) cut content posting ahoy!

Good epilogue posted:

Sarevok crumbles to dust before you, as did his elaborate scheme. The walls still echo his anger, but you know that the influence he wielded is finally gone. His treachery will affect the Sword Coast for some time to come, but the region will eventually return to what it calls "normal."

There has been a more permanent effect upon you, however.

You and Sarevok shared more than you would care to know. You were of the same blood, the same lineage, and the poison that ran through his heart has the potential to take yours as well. You have heard the whispers of the past, as your sibling must have, but you chose to shut them out. While it is hard to imagine the towering Sarevok as weak, despite his menacing nature he succumbed to the dark temptations that you have not.

The whispers may yet become screams, however, and there is danger that remains real. For you, and the rest of the Realms alike.

Would Sarevok have become a god if his plans had reached fruition? It is unlikely. At least, not in the manner he would have wished. Sarevok caused great suffering in the name of his father, but somehow you know that his untimely death has perhaps served the dead god more. As you watched the essence of your sibling drain away, a horrible scenario emerged in your mind. This child; raised to madness, driven to conquest, ultimately killed by those that would righteously oppose him; his entire life was nothing more than "fuel" for the eventual rebirth of the father. Bhaal seeded the world with offspring to effect his resurrection, not his replacement.

Certainly an appropriate way to return power to a dead Lord of Murder.

Evil epilogue posted:

Sarevok crumbles to dust before you, as did his elaborate scheme. The walls still echo his anger, but you know that the influence he wielded is finally gone. His treachery will affect the Sword Coast for some time to come, but the region will eventually return to what it calls "normal."

There has been a more permanent effect upon you, however.

You and Sarevok shared the same blood, the same lineage, but you have not believed the lies. You have heard the whispers your sibling must have, but the rantings of shadows are not your concern. Obviously Sarevok was not as strong as you, and placed too much faith in a power long dead. He was willing to play the pawn, and as such he was doomed to fall before you.

His fool's gambit failed him, but there is still danger in Sarevok's passing. For you, and the rest of the Realms alike.

Would Sarevok have become a god if his plans had reached fruition? It is unlikely. At least, not in the manner he would have wished. Sarevok caused great suffering in the name of his father, but somehow you know that his untimely death has perhaps served the dead god more. As you watched the essence of your sibling drain away, a horrible scenario emerged in your mind. This child; raised to madness, driven to conquest, ultimately killed by those that would righteously oppose him; his entire life was nothing more than "fuel" for the eventual rebirth of the father. Bhaal seeded the world with offspring to effect his resurrection, not his replacement.

Certainly an appropriate way to return power to a dead Lord of Murder.

Probably cut because it, like, spoils half of ToB?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
They haven't even plotted BG2 by then, so I don't think it's a spoiler!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
They probably had the overall idea of what they wanted to do with the plot, from the sounds of it, and when it comes to the Bhaalspawn storyline BG2 is honestly a sideshow. Reminds me a lot of the Mass Effect series chat over in the Inquisition thread - the second game is probably the best of the series on its own merits, but contributed virtually nothing to the primary series-long plot.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

They haven't even plotted BG2 by then, so I don't think it's a spoiler!

I imagine they had at least an idea, and decided blowing their load on that revelation in the freaking epilogue text was a bad way to approach things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

For whatever reason Firkraag's dungeon is proving funny this game. I gave Negative Plane Protection to Minsc, Berserked him and sent him to single handedly kill the vampires. Which he did, and then since he was still Berserked, he chased a misted vampire halfway across the dungeon. Then I got into a fight with the nearby Beholder, he cast Ice Storm on Charname. I hurried away from it and managed to lead it right into Samia (before the quest was over, so she was still neutral). Samia proceeded to aggro against the Beholder and helped me win that fight.