Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They should've synthesized everything. Everybody becomes an organosynth with equal parts human, asari, turian, krogan, etc. DNA.

Then there will definitely be no more war. Until some of these organosynths decides to tattoo stars on their bellies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I always felt Synthesis just brought everyone into the same 'mindspace' via nanomachine biointerfacing. It didn't merge DNA or whatever, just mentally connected people into a universal digital bio-awareness.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Starkid said some poo poo about "new DNA" and the ending showed a strand of DNA changing somehow, it got some more shapes on it or something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

Starkid said some poo poo about "new DNA" and the ending showed a strand of DNA changing somehow, it got some more shapes on it or something.

Don't ruin it for me. :argh:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Synthesis is never gonna make sense, it's just never gonna happen. We're all better off acknowledging that and moving on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Do we know if Mass Effect 4 takes place in the past, after the Reapers, or in a parallel, unconnected Mass Effect Universe?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME4 will be a puzzle game where you try to figure out what synthesis is

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Synthesis just makes everyone be automatically Augmented.

They never asked for this.

A buddy of mine had been complaining that he had no good games to play since next-gen does nothing for him and he wanted to play something new. He was very, very upset with Dark Souls for being so ball-bustingly hard, so I loaned him my copy of ME2.

He's playing a Vanguard. :shepface:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Drifter posted:

Do we know if Mass Effect 4 takes place in the past, after the Reapers, or in a parallel, unconnected Mass Effect Universe?

So far there's been precious little out, but there's some things that have been released: It will be set so far after ME 3 that Shepard's story will be legend (this isn't really confirmed, just heavily implied). It is also in a completely different region of space to side step the cluster-gently caress of ME 3 and include the Mako for game play. How far after and how the different region of space will be involved in the events of the Reapers isn't known.

They also apparently don't want it to be called 'Mass Effect 4' since Shepard's story will not be continuing but nods to past adventures will be included. There also more than likely won't be a return of any previous companions, since it'll either be set somewhere else or so far in the future that everyone would be dead or both. Co-op multi-player is returning. Which is a good thing, since that was (surprisingly) the best part of ME 3 by far.

Apparently, they want to focus on Dragon Age: Inquisition, so until that's released, there probably won't be any more information. The next Mass Effect is being developed by Bioware Montreal. These are the guys that did the second Mass Effect, Mass Effect 3's side quests and its multi-player. Also, take this for what you will:

Bioware posted:

"We think fans of the series are going to be surprised at just how far we're going."

On a side note, I do find it funny that the next two games Bioware are releasing basically have to re-secure good will that they burned up with their lovely writing and plotting. DA: Inquisition for DA 2 and ME whatever-the-gently caress for ME 3.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 9, 2014

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Since they want to have ties to the story from the original games, what are the chances of a re-release on PS4/Xbone? I wouldn't expect it until after the new Dragon Age, but they've mentioned doing it once or twice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I imagine there's a pretty good chance of one, though the dreamed-about remastered version with non-poo poo combat and improved graphics through all three games probably will never happen.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

(1)Personally I liked that Saren was searching for the conduit because he couldn't get onto the citadel because he was declared an outlaw because he killed a bunch of people searching the conduit because he needed it to get onto the citadel because he was kicked out for searching for the conduit which he needed because he was kicked out for searching for the conduit that he needed to get onto the citadel because he was kicked out for searching for it because he needed it because... (see 1)

It's not that convoluted: the Keepers were no longer responding to the Reaper control inputs. Considering there were Keepers everywhere, one assumes Saren couldn't have done everything himself, so he had to take an Army with him. Even a Spectre couldn't hold off all of C-sec and every other Spectre while trying to trigger the relay.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

My Q-Face posted:

It's not that convoluted: the Keepers were no longer responding to the Reaper control inputs. Considering there were Keepers everywhere, one assumes Saren couldn't have done everything himself, so he had to take an Army with him. Even a Spectre couldn't hold off all of C-sec and every other Spectre while trying to trigger the relay.

That and Sovereign needed a distraction to keep the Citadel fleets from swarming it the second it crossed over, so Saren needed a army and a fleet to hold all the defenders for as long as it took to get into position to open the Relay.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Geostomp posted:

That and Sovereign needed a distraction to keep the Citadel fleets from swarming it the second it crossed over, so Saren needed a army and a fleet to hold all the defenders for as long as it took to get into position to open the Relay.

Also, if Sovereign/Saren was successful, most of the galaxy's powerful warships would have been in one place and been destroyed by the Reaper invasion. It would have made a counterattack almost impossible. So making Saren a visible threat with the Geth fleet makes sense to lure the Council fleet into a trap.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So is the Mass Effect lore or whatever just inconsistent with dates? The wiki says that the Krogan Rebellions started in the year 700 but I just found a planet in Mass Effect 1 that says that they happened 3 millenia ago.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

(1)Personally I liked that Saren was searching for the conduit because he couldn't get onto the citadel because he was declared an outlaw because he killed a bunch of people searching the conduit because he needed it to get onto the citadel because he was kicked out for searching for the conduit which he needed because he was kicked out for searching for the conduit that he needed to get onto the citadel because he was kicked out for searching for it because he needed it because... (see 1)

I think this one can be explained away. Vigil tells you that the Protheans sabotaged the Citadel controls. Saren didn't just need to get onto the station, he needed the Prothean scientists' files to get around their modifications. (Does Vigil explicitly give you the data you need to do that? I can't remember.)

I don't think it's clear that Saren and Sovereign even knew what the Conduit was, exactly, until they reached Ilos. They may have only known it was connected to the sabotage somehow.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mustang posted:

So is the Mass Effect lore or whatever just inconsistent with dates? The wiki says that the Krogan Rebellions started in the year 700 but I just found a planet in Mass Effect 1 that says that they happened 3 millenia ago.

They are very inconsistent with dates.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Mustang posted:

700BCE, not 700AD, I think.

But yeah, it's inconsistent in a lot of the flavour texts.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Zoran posted:

I think this one can be explained away. Vigil tells you that the Protheans sabotaged the Citadel controls. Saren didn't just need to get onto the station, he needed the Prothean scientists' files to get around their modifications. (Does Vigil explicitly give you the data you need to do that? I can't remember.)

I don't think it's clear that Saren and Sovereign even knew what the Conduit was, exactly, until they reached Ilos. They may have only known it was connected to the sabotage somehow.

From the wiki: "Vigil gives Shepard a data file that will grant temporary direct control of the Citadel's functions"

So apparently I was wrong and there was a point to going to whatever-that-planets-name-is. And the conduit itself was just there to facilitate the scene transition.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
One thing I wondered is what triggers the Reapers to invade? Is it every 50,000 years on the dot or a certain technological breakthrough. I'm pretty sure its not the building of AI's because the Geth Wars or whatever were supposed to be like 300 years ago and I assume they made them a pretty long time before that, i'm sure they mentioned how long but I don't really remember.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can you run these games on a PC without Origin installed?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

I think it requires Origin to Log into and activate. At least for ME3.

I know it's not answering your question, but Origin is even less (or equally?) invasive/computer intensive than Steam. While there were some pretty solid issues regarding its performance a while back it's shaped up. it's still awkward to navigate and there's to my knowledge no instant messaging like on Steam and stuff, but it's not an evil program or anything.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 10, 2014

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Waltzing Along posted:

1 and 2 are on Steam. 3, no.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I really should have asked the question better.

Could I play these while offline?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Zoran posted:

Uh, it's pretty clear, that's why you go to Feros and Eden Prime and Virmire. The Prothean Beacons tell them what it was. Unlike your experience, Saren was prepared for the visions with the Beacons.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

One thing I wondered is what triggers the Reapers to invade? Is it every 50,000 years on the dot or a certain technological breakthrough. I'm pretty sure its not the building of AI's because the Geth Wars or whatever were supposed to be like 300 years ago and I assume they made them a pretty long time before that, i'm sure they mentioned how long but I don't really remember.

It very well could have been the Geth Wars, remember the Protheans sabotaged the effort so the invasion didn't happen when it was scheduled, and we don't know how long it took Sovereign to come up with the alternate plan/find Saren/etc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I imagine its the same deal as Steam, though I've never tested it. Run it once while online to be authenticated and after that offline.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think it's Sovereign's job to make the determination. I assume it's whenever he wakes up and sees that the dominate race(s) are well-settled at the Citadel. I believe Vigil said that Sovereign tried to initiate the invasion some years back, but of course, the Keepers didn't respond to his signal.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm pretty sure you can, I am pretty sure I played Sim 3 offline after I had played it before. Don't quote me on it but i'm almost sure you can. As for Mass Effect in general I don't know because I have only played them on console.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can, I am pretty sure I played Sim 3 offline after I had played it before. Don't quote me on it but i'm almost sure you can. As for Mass Effect in general I don't know because I have only played them on console.

When I try to run it, it opens/logs in to Origin. If I disable my internet it just stays at the login screen. I want to put it on a laptop that won't always be online.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Don't bother with the HD texture mods for the first 2 games they make the game less stable and you will crash all the time. Haven't had any crashes without them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lycus posted:

I think it's Sovereign's job to make the determination. I assume it's whenever he wakes up and sees that the dominate race(s) are well-settled at the Citadel. I believe Vigil said that Sovereign tried to initiate the invasion some years back, but of course, the Keepers didn't respond to his signal.

From what the Rachni Queen implies about being indoctrinated, the original invasion date may have been shortly after the asari and salarians got settled into the Citadel enough to hammer out a full space government. The Rachni Wars could have been Sovereign's attempt to assess the prowess of the races to determine whether they were ready for harvesting. That or they were the first of who knows how many back-up plans Sovereign tried when it realized that the keepers were going off-script. The geth probably didn't factor into it at all, unless the writers decide to declare them the tipping point to support their shoe-horned "organic vs. synthetic" theme.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sovereign was found in orbit around some remote planet. He was found by Batarians. They contracted a human scientist, who had left the alliance, to study Sovereign. Both the human, Qian, and the Batarian...I forget his name were indoctrinated. Kahlee Sanders worked at the same facility as Qian and was away when it got attacked and Qian kidnapped.

This got Saren involved in a hunt for Qian and his data. Anderson got to tag along once they were found. Anderson wanted to rescue Sanders and Qian. Saren stole the data and killed everyone save the two people we know who escaped. Anderson was blamed for all the deaths. Saren then went off in search of, and found, Sovereign. Saren thought he could use Sovereign for revenge on the humans.

This is the stuff in the book. AFAIK there isn't any actual info on what Sovereign was doing before it was found.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Geostomp posted:

From what the Rachni Queen implies about being indoctrinated, the original invasion date may have been shortly after the asari and salarians got settled into the Citadel enough to hammer out a full space government. The Rachni Wars could have been Sovereign's attempt to assess the prowess of the races to determine whether they were ready for harvesting.
IIRC in Leviathan it says the Rachni were brainwashed by the species that created the Reapers for whatever reason.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Was that definite, or was that one of the Dr.'s theories that didn't lead anywhere? Because it being Sovereign makes a lot more sense to me. But if it was definite, then throw that on the pile of ME3 stuff that doesn't make much sense.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

2house2fly posted:

IIRC in Leviathan it says the Rachni were brainwashed by the species that created the Reapers for whatever reason.

Its the Leviathans that created the Reapers though isn't it?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

My favorite thing about Leviathan was that it turned out the Reapers are the result of really really lovely programing. And like, they must not've tested that poo poo at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's kind of a well-worn sci-fi trope, really

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 10, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
No wonder you can't argue with the conduit: it's just Shep making a ticket. :psyboom:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

No wonder you can't argue with the conduit: it's just Shep making a ticket. :psyboom:

The ultimate evolution of Steam.

"Oh, you need some service? Well, we'll kill you in 50 000 years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

"But this comes with free scheduled mainentenance every 50,000 years hereafter."

• Locked thread