Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Teenage Fansub posted:

Keep in mind, you're reading about decades of stuff at once. When Jason Todd came back, it had been almost 20 years since he had been murdered, a fate which had been decided by a frickin' phone-in poll, by the way. (e: and he'd only been around for a year. I didn't know he was that short lived. He was barely given a chance.)
I guess it depends on what you count as a year and what you count as Jason Todd.

Jason Todd first became Robin in 1983, but this was Pre-Crisis and Jason was a redheaded kid acrobat with a good heart and a tragic backstory involving his acrobat parents being getting murdered by Killer Croc. He dyed his hair black and became Robin and besides being named Jason might as well have been Dick Grayson. Fans did not really care for this kind of goofy Nick Fury Jr. stuff back then either.

So the Batman office took Crisis on Infinite Earths as an opportunity to completely reboot the character (which was confusing because Batman was one of the books relatively untouched and not rebooted by Crisis) and in this new version, which debuted in 1987, he was the punk kid with anger issues who tried to steal the Batmobile's hubcaps etc.

THAT version only lasted a year and a half before they opted for Death in the Family. But that was eighteen months before they gave up on the weird revamp bandage they put on a five year old story that wasn't working at all. And then it was less than a year before they basically tried New Robin Version Three with Tim Drake, which 'worked'.

Speaking of comic book deaths though, Jean Grey has been dead for over a decade at this point, compared to her first 'death' period lasting a little under six years. So that's sometihng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, they brought back a young Jean Grey which kinda makes the "still dead" thing kinda hard to argue. She's technically still dead but a Jean Grey is running around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Well, they brought back a young Jean Grey which kinda makes the "still dead" thing kinda hard to argue. She's technically still dead but a Jean Grey is running around.

Yeah but unless something really dumb happens, she is going back.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Maybe your buddy was thinking that the part of RHATO that dealt with Jason's origin was a Zero Year tie-in. Personally, I found it kind of wonky because Jason meets Ra's and Talia before Batman does, then Talia teaches him MAGIC KUNG FU that turns off immortality. And it can only be used by the pure of heart.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

CharlestheHammer posted:

When was the last time an X-character from out of the timestream actually went back?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HitTheTargets posted:

Maybe your buddy was thinking that the part of RHATO that dealt with Jason's origin was a Zero Year tie-in. Personally, I found it kind of wonky because Jason meets Ra's and Talia before Batman does, then Talia teaches him MAGIC KUNG FU that turns off immortality. And it can only be used by the pure of heart.

Yeah, that was UTTER BULLSHIT, luckily everyone is ignoring that. Man, Tynion's tenure on RHATO really sucked.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Talkin comic deaths and no one's mentioned that both Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy* are yet to resurrect? Or are we just looking for hero examples?

*(the actual one, no clones)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 9, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Sue Dibney: still dead.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

Sue Dibney: still dead.

So is Ralph right? I want my Ghost Detectives comics DC!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Zero Year is Bruce's first year as Batman, solo. No Robins at all. There was a backup in the #0 issue about where the Robins to be were at the time, but they only got a page or two each.

Keep in mind, you're reading about decades of stuff at once. When Jason Todd came back, it had been almost 20 years since he had been murdered, a fate which had been decided by a frickin' phone-in poll, by the way. (e: and he'd only been around for a year. I didn't know he was that short lived. He was barely given a chance.)

e: Might you have been told Zero Year did the origin better than Frank Miller's Year One? That's a debate for the ages, but I really liked Zero Year. It's been the best part of Snyder's Batman for me. If you've been into the comic so far it should be great.
Even back in the 80's comic fans were whiny little shits who hated everything new.

TwoPair posted:

Talkin comic deaths and no one's mentioned that both Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy* are yet to resurrect? Or are we just looking for hero examples?

Remember when they brought Deadman back to life for Brightest Day? :downs:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sue and Ralph are still dead in the same way that classic Wally West is still dead: They don't exist.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I know 'Zero Year' is the new origin story for Batman, but I thought I had read it ends up spanning several years and goes through some of the Robins as well, as well as having it so Jason Todd was never a Robin.
Well, it's not called Zero Years now, is it? :v:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That something dumb happened in Battle of the Atom, currently time-travel as a concept rejects the O5.

I'm okay with Jason being back, he was dead for a long time and the approach they've done with him has kind of been interesting, making him Killer Robin to just Dickish Robin. Not that that's going to get me reading Red Hood and the Outlaws, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Probably Magic posted:

That something dumb happened in Battle of the Atom, currently time-travel as a concept rejects the O5.

I'm okay with Jason being back, he was dead for a long time and the approach they've done with him has kind of been interesting, making him Killer Robin to just Dickish Robin. Not that that's going to get me reading Red Hood and the Outlaws, though.

Aw :smith:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Are you Scott Lobdell :psyduck:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

redbackground posted:

Well, it's not called Zero Years now, is it? :v:

:argh:

And it looks like I had accidentally read something about the Jason Todd/Red Hood origin that HitTheTargets mentioned, so ignore me. Also, I picked up the first volume of 'Gotham Central' based on the many recommendations in this thread and I love it already, thanks.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

How can you be surprised when precisely every page of it you ever post - be it by the 'good' writer or the 'bad' one - is absolute garbage with no redeeming features?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So I guess I should't listen to this Dark_Tzitzimine fellow?

Also, now that I've grabbed the first volume of 'Gotham Central', how many of them are worthwhile? I see that Lark left during volume three while Brubaker left in the middle of volume four.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Also, now that I've grabbed the first volume of 'Gotham Central', how many of them are worthwhile? I see that Lark left during volume three while Brubaker left in the middle of volume four.
All of 'em.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

He is strange and his opinions unorthodox. I mean, he bought himself that avatar.

All of Gotham Central owns bones, buy buy buy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

If you click his avatar it leads to his Tumblr. You can decide what you want to do then.

And yeah all of Gotham Central is great.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Waterhaul posted:

If you click his avatar it leads to his Tumblr.

Gee, thanks.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Uncle Ben, effectively, isn't really a character as much as a plot point in Spider-Man's origin. It would be like bringing Bruce's parents back to life (...someone's already done that before, haven't they)

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Gotham Central is really great. Once you finish it, you should look for some interviews with I think Rucka and Brubaker where they discuss what happened on that book. Really frustrating.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Was Taters posted:

Gotham Central is really great. Once you finish it, you should look for some interviews with I think Rucka and Brubaker where they discuss what happened on that book. Really frustrating.

I read a little bit that they got kinda hosed because the Infinite Crisis event was coming up, which would pretty much screw with everything they were doing. So Lark left first, then Brubaker. At that point Rucka felt he couldn't continue without at least one of the other two of the three that made the series so good.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Adding to the Gotham Central praise. It was a loving fantastic series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Waterhaul posted:

If you click his avatar it leads to his Tumblr. You can decide what you want to do then.

And yeah all of Gotham Central is great.

Wait, what?

Oh. Oh dear god.

SO, What's this Gotham Central thing about? I'm suddenly in the mood to be distracted by something good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\Cops in Gotham dealing with the fact that there's a vigilante out there doing their jobs and the fallout from that.

When you finish Gotham Central move directly onto 52. One of the storylines in that book follows Montoya on her continuing journey.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, what?

Oh. Oh dear god.

SO, What's this Gotham Central thing about? I'm suddenly in the mood to be distracted by something good.

It's a four volume series about the GCPD and how they deal with both the villains of Gotham and the fact that they have to work with a costumed vigilante. Aside from that anomaly, it's a great police procedural likened somewhat to Law & Order and Renee Montoya is a loving awesome character.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Anyone else reading Batman Beyond 2.0?

I was enjoying it up until the last flashback issue where, I kid you not, Dick comes home from Bludhaven, gets ready to propose to Barbara, and then Barbara tells Bruce she's six weeks pregnant. He congratulates her and Dick. She reminds him Dick has been back for three.

Also Barbara goes and fights crime in her civvies, pregnant.

wtf happened to my future batman kids' show, DC?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I found the trades for GC to be a bit confusing. I have been buying them second hand and it seems that I got two different editions so I had two volume 3s that covered different story arcs. Just something to look out for if you are buying the trades.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

It's a four volume series about the GCPD and how they deal with both the villains of Gotham and the fact that they have to work with a costumed vigilante. Aside from that anomaly, it's a great police procedural likened somewhat to Law & Order and Renee Montoya is a loving awesome character.

That sounds pretty nice. Hm, the price is decent on amazon and it has Rucka and Brubaker, gonna get the first volume when i get the chance and go on from there.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I was enjoying it up until the last flashback issue where, I kid you not, Dick comes home from Bludhaven, gets ready to propose to Barbara, and then Barbara tells Bruce she's six weeks pregnant. He congratulates her and Dick. She reminds him Dick has been back for three.

That does not. I always giggled at how creepy it was that they got together and wondered what kinda awful and awkward thing could happen from it, it's great in a way I really wish wasn't canon.

Now i'm just picturing Dick telling Batman he's having doubts about proposing because he's used his detective powers to figure out Barbara's pregnant and he doesn't want the proposal to seem like it's just a reaction to it "well, there's time to figure it out at least, she's only three weeks pregnant" "six" "nah, i wasn't near her six weeks ago" "SO, I guess you're well versed in the birds and the bees, and you love Barbara, and look! Alfred made your favorite cookies! Ihavebeenhavingsexwithherandthatsmybaby oh look, the joker escaped! BYE!"

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

hiddenriverninja posted:

Eh I have mixed opinions on it.

On the one hand I think it's kind of lazy to make a pregnancy plot the center of dispute when there's plenty other ways you could go about it without it getting tacky. Bruce and Barbara are said to have hooked up in the DCAU, so if people are upset about that they should take it up with Paul Dini and Bruce Timm because Kyle Higgins is just adapting from source material (and considering how Adam Beechen kept mucking up source material during his run I'm pretty thankful for that.) On the other hand, I don't find it to be a situation that's out of tone in a series where a twelve year old was brutally tortured (physically and mentally) for three weeks by the Joker. The whole idea of Beyond is that poo poo really hit the fan and it broke up the entire batfamily until Terry McGinnis came along and reunited them.

Is it the best written thing? No. But I don't have any horrible major issues with it...yet. Issue 29 is obviously going to be a continuation of the story so I'm going to reserve final judgment there. I can understand why people don't like it too much though.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
In any other comic, I'd think its dumb drama to stir up more dumb drama, but I really look forward to Terry being on the receiving end of a Liquid Snake-ing.

PS issue's out, what are we spoiler tagging for?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I found the trades for GC to be a bit confusing. I have been buying them second hand and it seems that I got two different editions so I had two volume 3s that covered different story arcs. Just something to look out for if you are buying the trades.
Clarification as to why this happened: The original trade releases left out a bunch of issues because DC. When they were re-relased (first in hardcover, than softcover, both with large yellow titles/credits at the tops and bottoms of the front covers to differentiate them from the original trades) all the issues were finally collected (yay!), so arcs got moved further and further downstream, and the new volumes did not line up with the old versions (since a bunch of issues were added back in). If you order new copies of the trades like from Amazon, you will get the best versions, so that's good--just avoid the old trades.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 11, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Every time I think DC Trades can't get any worse in my mind more information reveals itself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jetfire posted:

Uncle Ben, effectively, isn't really a character as much as a plot point in Spider-Man's origin. It would be like bringing Bruce's parents back to life (...someone's already done that before, haven't they)

They're alive in alt-universe things, like Flashpoint and Earth-2.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jetfire posted:

It would be like bringing Bruce's parents back to life (...someone's already done that before, haven't they)
Ra's threatened to during Mark Waid's Tower of Babel JLA arc.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Every time I think DC Trades can't get any worse in my mind more information reveals itself.
At least in this instance they fixed their original dumb mistake.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 11, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Why did the pre-N52 Batgirl collections not have numbers on their spines? I seem to remember other collections didn't either, but Batgirl stood out to me for a few reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Batman and Robin (pre-N52) doesn't either.

On another note, what was the consensus on Zero Year? Worth picking up in trades when it comes out?

• Locked thread