Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
jimNy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Jimny with an n.Beaten like a dead fish.

http://www.suzuki.co.uk/cars/cars/new/jimny/jimny

That's a shame, I'd always regarded them as decent little trucks, always wished they came with a diesel though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

In Japan the Jimny comes with 660cc's of raw power, and yet is somehow the only 4WD vehicle I regularly see with a proper off-road setup. :psyduck:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
S'all about the gearing - the little 660 turbo has more power and about the same torque as the first Land Rovers. Stump's right, though, they really should sell the diesel one in more countries.

They are proper 4x4s though, coil sprung live axles both ends and a hi/lo transfer box. The short wheelbase makes them a little pitchy on the road, but they're a hell of a lot more liveable with than the old SJs. Beginning to get more popular for modifying now they're getting cheaper, too.

If you want "unsuitable off-roader", I saw a LWB RAV4 with olive drab paint and a winch bumper yesterday.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I know taking pot shots at bro trucks is too easy but that proper 4x4 bit reminded me of this time I was walking out to pull in this 80s Toyota truck with a full exocage, massive lift, hop in and see three seperate transfer case sticks and a switxh panel bolted to the dash that read FRT LOCK RR LOCK CTR LOCK FRT WINCH RR WINCH FRT LIGHT RR LIGHT UNDER LIGHT AIR COMPR WELDER AUX 1 AUX 2 and this dude in a lifted spotless f250 long bed super cab on 20s was parking next to it and shouted through my open window that that dude should sell that little piece of poo poo and step up to a 'real truck.'

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
The PO not changing the brake fluid on a 13 year old motorcycle probably belongs here

Admit it AI, most of you are rolling around in cars with original brake fluid right now aren't you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

In Japan the Jimny comes with 660cc's of raw power, and yet is somehow the only 4WD vehicle I regularly see with a proper off-road setup. :psyduck:

There is a rare version of the Daihatsu rocky feroza which is branded as a Toyota Blizzard and comes with a 2.2 turbo diesel instead of the 1.3/1.6 petrol engines. Instead of a boost gauge it just has a light that comes on when the turbo is on boost :3:

I want one so badly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The PO not changing the brake fluid on a 13 year old motorcycle probably belongs here

Admit it AI, most of you are rolling around in cars with original brake fluid right now aren't you.

Between the tiny rotor and the knobbies, I don't think brake fluid is your weakest link.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

One of my three is!

It's a 2013

And yeah, turns out that even in AZ brake fluid gets gnarly over the years.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've driven a car with brake fluid older than I am.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I did a brake job on my friend's wife's '04 Focus about a month ago that was still running the factory brake fluid. It was very similar to the pictures above. I had to run about a full quart through the system before it truly cleared up and I stopped getting metal flakes coming out.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

InitialDave posted:

They are proper 4x4s though, coil sprung live axles both ends and a hi/lo transfer box. The short wheelbase makes them a little pitchy on the road, but they're a hell of a lot more liveable with than the old SJs. Beginning to get more popular for modifying now they're getting cheaper, too.
Not really. They don't have locking diffs so you can easily get stuck with one wheel spinning.

Also don't discount the wobble factor:

Google "Jimny Vibration trouble" for more links about it than you can possibly click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMLVa-TNb9o

http://www.jimny-crew.com/Jimny-Issues.html

quote:

Suzuki, it seems, are aware of the problem, but don't expect much help unless your car is exactly the same as it rolled out of the showroom, and under warranty. Which is a real shame.

I personally would have loved some factory support with at least helping to diagnose the problem. I spent alot of money on wheel alignment and balancing, which helped but never solved the problem.

My steering started shaking after fitting all terrain tyres, same size as standard 205/70R15.
A little shimmy between 72 and 78 km/h started. It was more of a nuisance than a problem at this stage.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

You're gonna have to go a whole lot darker than that to raise any eyebrows around here.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MonkeyNutZ posted:

No, they all got fresh fluid when I replaced the rusted-through lines.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'll be replacing the fluid in my Protege when I put the new struts on hopefully this week.

It's probably the original from 2003. :stare:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
How much fluid is normal for a change anyway? I went through three quarts changing the presumably 14 year old fluid on my Mustang. The old stuff looked black :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cartoon posted:

Not really. They don't have locking diffs so you can easily get stuck with one wheel spinning.
Ummm... No. They're part-time 4x4, so there's no issue over a lockable centre diff, and the list of 4x4s, never mind small and cheap ones, with axle difflocks as standard is quite a short one.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

thebigcow posted:

How much fluid is normal for a change anyway? I went through three quarts changing the presumably 14 year old fluid on my Mustang. The old stuff looked black :(

Assuming you don't ingest air into the line you should be able to flush all four corners with a quart unless you have monster multi-piston calipers. When I'm bleeding after doing component replacement and have air to evacuate I can usually get it out with the same amount, but in really stubborn cases I'll start recycling the fluid after the lines are clear instead of burning through multiple bottles of fluid.

I also use a power bleeder which makes the job a lot easier.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I like to open the bleed screw and press the pistons all the way in before I do a bleed/flush to get all the fluid in the calipers out. Also a good idea when installing new pads instead of forcing all that old fluid back up the lines.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

jamal posted:

I like to open the bleed screw and press the pistons all the way in before I do a bleed/flush to get all the fluid in the calipers out. Also a good idea when installing new pads instead of forcing all that old fluid back up the lines.

I don't know why the hell I've never thought of this, thank you. Even without that a quart is usually enough, although honestly brake fluid is cheap and I'll pick up a couple pint bottles extra if I think something will be particularly bad. I've started doing my motorcycles every other year or so, mostly because a pint of brake fluid and a half hour is cheap compared to the alternatives. Probably should quit being lazy about the cars, I'm pretty sure our Aerostar has the original brake fluid and coolant in it, from '97. Pretty sure it still has original plugs and wires too, and currently runs like crap. Mechanical horror related, anyone know a not hellish way to do plugs and wires on the parent's '97 Aerostar?

I don't expect an answer to that. I hate working on vans so much.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Mine all get a fluid change pretty soon after purchase for the same reason as Bucephalus'. Lines rot off, I say hell with it, replace em all, sometimes all the calipers and cylinders and rubber hoses, then fill it back up and bleed it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I always Crack the bleeder when I push the piston back in for pads. I then bleed a bit out and add fluid.
Can't say I've ever done a full flush but my fluid has always looked pretty good coming out.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I bled and flushed the hydraulic clutch system in the GTO after the master failed, and it was pretty dark and disgusting. The brake system is next and it definitely needs it as well.

Getting back to changing sway bar end links in the Chicagoland area:

14+ years of doing this poo poo and it never gets any easier. gently caress these things. :argh:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I would have stopped working on cars so loving long ago if I hadn't moved away from the Northeast. Three years of that hell was more than anyone should ever have to deal with. I still, 15 odd years later, hate rust so much that I'd laugh if someone were to try to give me a car from the rust belt. Even if it was "rust free".

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The fluid in my bike has never been changed (it's an '01) but the color is still a little lighter than Yuengling. I should probably get to that. :ohdear:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bugdrvr posted:

I would have stopped working on cars so loving long ago if I hadn't moved away from the Northeast. Three years of that hell was more than anyone should ever have to deal with. I still, 15 odd years later, hate rust so much that I'd laugh if someone were to try to give me a car from the rust belt. Even if it was "rust free".

"Rust free" around here means no visible rust in the body panels. It's just assumed everything else is rusted.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Friend bought a beater cherokee, knew it needed a motor...

Didn't know it needed one this bad!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If that's a 4.0 then there's been a disturbance in the force and kastein is probably already on his way

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So it still ran okay though right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Power drill hone, oversized piston and rings, and you're good.*

*people on other car forums really believe this

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

8ender posted:

If that's a 4.0 then there's been a disturbance in the force and kastein is probably already on his way

But didn't Kastein post that? :confused:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Power drill hone, oversized piston and rings, and you're good.*

*people on other car forums really believe this

on a 4.0 it doesn't even need that much work. Just slip a junkyard piston/rod into the bore and go.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Time to bore and stroke that bitch out :getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

See that mocha? That is oil and coolant. Means either a shattered head from the piston going sideways in the bore or more likely, the rod bashing the poo poo out of the cylinder walls and cracking them into the water jacket.

That motor's all done.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

My buddies' wife's cherokee did the same thing. She's not abusive, nor is she neglectful, but one day she calls him up and said it would hardly idle and is making a funny rattling sound. As the car was only a mile or two away, he drove it home anyway. Pulled the head off and found exactly that picture. The later years of those engines suffered all around, it seems. They had head cracking issues, too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

See that mocha? That is oil and coolant. Means either a shattered head from the piston going sideways in the bore or more likely, the rod bashing the poo poo out of the cylinder walls and cracking them into the water jacket.

That motor's all done.

I refuse to believe a 4.0 can be killed by physical means. You have to draw a warding circle and dispel the evil spirit Nox that lives within the crankshaft.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

That motor's all done.

Coat the cylinder walls in JB Weld, rehone.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I dno, I thought to myself maybe I could make more money if I wrenched where snow don't fall, but then I realized rust equals money. So I stay in Wisconsin.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I refuse to believe a 4.0 can be killed by physical means. You have to draw a warding circle and dispel the evil spirit Nox that lives within the crankshaft.

About 8 pounds of thermite in a cylinder bore will put a couple stress cracks in the cylinder walls where they meet the fire deck :v:

Motor still turned freely though... after cranking it over a few times with a breaker bar scraped all the thermite slag off the walls, that is, revealing minor pitting and a lot of beautiful crosshatching.

Clearly more thermite is needed next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Jonny Nox posted:

But didn't Kastein post that? :confused:

gently caress. I blame the SA app for me not being good at reading