Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite rating is the NOAH match Alverez said was so good it "transcended star ratings" so it was "#$%^&" out of "*****" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Dunbar posted:

I'm not sure what your solution to this would be. Should he re-watch everything he rates in the Observer multiple times before writing his review? Should he go back and re-watch decades of past wrestling to see how it holds up when compared to modern standards?

he should not make knee-jerk assertions about a tournament being 'obviously the greatest ever, nothing else is even close'

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 9, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Why are you so invested in trying to prove that anyone enjoying a thing more than you do is wrong :psyduck:

When's Pisscast

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Things Bret Hart likes:

1. Gathering his children together to watch him piss

2. Drew McIntyre

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Tonfa posted:

Why are you so invested in trying to prove that anyone enjoying a thing more than you do is wrong :psyduck:

Who the hell is Dave Meltzer to have an opinion? Who's he ever beat?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rodney the Piper posted:

Wade Keller.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Tonfa posted:

When's Pisscast

please try harder to actually comprehend what im saying. i have been quite clear.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Oh my loving god shut up about the dumb thing Dave keeps saying. It's his website, it's his podcast, it's his opinion, and he can state it as unequivocally as he wants. Meanwhile you are perfectly free to disagree/ignore it and stop clogging this thread up with dumb semantic bullshit about This Thing That Dave Really Likes.

Pisscast might happen this weekend I dunno it might not who cares I hate everything about podcasts right now.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

why's everyone saying mean words i just see him answering questions and not really saying anything crazy

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Karmine posted:

Oh my loving god shut up about the dumb thing Dave keeps saying. It's his website, it's his podcast, it's his opinion, and he can state it as unequivocally as he wants. Meanwhile you are perfectly free to disagree/ignore it and stop clogging this thread up with dumb semantic bullshit about This Thing That Dave Really Likes.

Pisscast might happen this weekend I dunno it might not who cares I hate everything about podcasts right now.

sorry for discussing dave meltzer opinions in the observer thread

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

sorry for discussing dave meltzer opinions in the observer thread

You're bad at it. Apology accepted.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
the weird cognitive dissonance between the viewpoints of 'dave is the premier authority on wrestling and if he says this thing is the best it obviously is and if you think hes not giving it proper consideration youre an idiot' and 'its just his opinion just ignore it if you dont like it' epically ftw

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

the weird cognitive dissonance between the viewpoints of 'dave is the premier authority on wrestling and if he says this thing is the best it obviously is and if you think hes not giving it proper consideration youre an idiot' and 'its just his opinion just ignore it if you dont like it' epically ftw

I have only said one of these two things.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i honestly have no clue who said what i just know i've seen both and am banking on at least one person having said both

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

i honestly have no clue who said what i just know i've seen both and am banking on at least one person having said both

So now who's the one making unfair, kneejerk analyses?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Karmine posted:

So now who's the one making unfair, kneejerk analyses?

your mom

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Holy poo poo this thread blooooooooows.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LordPants posted:

My favorite rating is the NOAH match Alverez said was so good it "transcended star ratings" so it was "#$%^&" out of "*****" or something.

Do you know what match that was? I'm curious to see it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

Do you know what match that was? I'm curious to see it.

90% sure it's Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

OSW Review posted a new video! It's Capital Carnage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEKpXIyczYo

NSFW due to Miss Titty.

Good episode, the three lads talking about their boys was great (that sounds like something completely different.)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

he should not make knee-jerk assertions about a tournament being 'obviously the greatest ever, nothing else is even close'

you are really twisting the whole statement at this point and under your rules, Dave would have to sit silent during his whole podcast or have sirens that blast "JUST MY OPINION" when he talks. he didn't post all over the newsletter awards issue, "g1 tournament is best ever". also you know this guy has seen a lot of wrestling tournaments right? why wouldn't he be qualified to say this, even in a official capacity? more importantly, do you never say anything is the "best"?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Star Ratings List I think? It divides things up by company/5-star lists etc but seems to be up to date through to the end of June, 2014 at least.

this list is still missing a handful of five star matches I think? There's some Japanese wrestling in the 80's/90's that is unaccounted for.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 9, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

yea ok posted:

ishii/shibata

Yes, because its context in the G1 and everyone before that meant nothing. He also highly values what he considers innovation (ROH first Dragon Gate 6-man) or how the match elevated a character (Richards/Elgin.)

And most star ratings lists for dave that you find online are missing alot, mostly from the 80s, a few All Japan Women's stuff.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Guys I will talk to Dave, Everyone just calm down.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

It did not go well :(

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Dave really loves Japanese stuff. This isn't some new revelation, or shocking that he'd called a really really good G1 tournament the best of all time. Comparing him to Ebert is funny because that's another reviewer that despite having a bias towards certain thing was still one of the best authorities on the subject. I have a lot of respect for his opinions but there's been a lot of times I don't agree with his ratings but I still understand why he thought it was that good. This year's G1 has been amazing from people other than Dave and I look forward to sitting down and watching the whole thing all the way through at some point. You can be both an authority and still have a personal bias towards certain things and that doesn't invalidate your professional opinion on something. If Dave says this year is the best tournament ever, then if even you don't agree for whatever reason, he's still probably not too far from being right.

Do you even read the observer because a lot of times he explains in greater detail why a match is so amazing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dave overrates puro but it's usually just him taking something that's really good and calling it extremely good, so who cares.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rodney the Piper posted:

Al Snow account spotted.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Even if it is knee-jerk I don't see any harm in him giving such high praise to a current wrestling show. In fact its a good thing that he does and might drive some people to wanna watch the company in this day and age when viable jobs for the wrestlers at successful companies become less and less. As far as him considering it with careful deliberation in some kind of historical context against past tournaments, I'm sure he'll do that in one of his many year end podcasts or when someone asks him in an email.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't Meltzer go back and rewatch all the MOTY candidates for his yearbook issue anyway?

I remember he rated Rey-Juvi from early 1996 in ECW ****3/4 initially, but then in the 96 Yearbook he changed it to *****

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

Doesn't Meltzer go back and rewatch all the MOTY candidates for his yearbook issue anyway?

I remember he rated Rey-Juvi from early 1996 in ECW ****3/4 initially, but then in the 96 Yearbook he changed it to *****

Proof that Meltzer is too fickle and unreliable to be an authoritative reviewer of professional wrestling. I need to live in a world where my snowflakes are unchangeable, so I know the degree to which I am allowed to enjoy something.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

does Dave Meltzer love breasts as much as Roger Ebert does

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Impossible.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I really don't care much about star ratings at all, but a topic about the worst/most undeserving match Dave ever gave ***** to would probably be fun.

Bret/Owen at Summerslam '94 would be my choice.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I really don't care much about star ratings at all, but a topic about the worst/most undeserving match Dave ever gave ***** to would probably be fun.

I always thought the Do Fixer vs Blood Generation 6-man wasn't worth 5 stars, but I prefer to have some storylines and built up rather than just an amazing technical show. I'd debate with Dave that Taker/Triple H 2 was 5 stars until the day I die because of the awesome story that match told. If he can call that match ****3/4, then I can call the Do Fixer/Blood Generation match ****3/4.

Other matches I'd personally give 5 fives. Raven/Goldberg U.S. Title, and Raven/Saturn @ Fall Brawl '98. Also RVD/Jerry Lynn match(Hardcore Heaven '99 iirc) that's 5 stars; and Malenko/Guererro 2/3 Falls.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 9, 2014

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

PaybackJack posted:

I always thought the Do Fixer vs Blood Generation 6-man wasn't worth 5 stars, but I prefer to have some storylines and built up rather than just an amazing technical show. I'd debate with Dave that Taker/Triple H 2 was 5 stars until the day I die because of the awesome story that match told. If he can call that match ****3/4, then I can call the Do Fixer/Blood Generation match ****3/4.

Other matches I'd personally give 5 fives. Raven/Goldberg U.S. Title, and Raven/Saturn @ Fall Brawl '98. Also RVD/Jerry Lynn match(Hardcore Heaven '99 iirc) that's 5 stars; and Malenko/Guererro 2/3 Falls.

You're not very good at picking out matches that should be five stars.

I have a leather jacket. I would know.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

You're not very good at picking out matches that should be five stars.

I have a leather jacket. I would know.

Listen, I watched all these matches with a group of teenage Japanese girls and we'd get ramen and talk about them till the sun came up so I think you're the one that doesn't know what a 5 star match is.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I'd probably go with Davey Richards vs Elgin. Yes, the match was good. Yes, the atmosphere was good.

But no, I definitely do not consider it better than Danielson vs KENTA at Glory by Honor V, Bryan vs McGuiness at Driven 2007 (which was technically at Domination 2007), or tioneB vs Angle from the 2003 Rumble. All 'only' 4 3/4 stars that just lacked 'something' for Meltzer to give them 5 full stars, yet Richards vs Elgin had that? Sorry, I just don't buy it, and probably never will.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Fauxhawk Express posted:

There is some random lovely brawl that got five stars from an FMW show in California that involved Horace Hogan and at least two other lovely wrestlers. Odds are that Dave was there live and was losing his mind about how hectic it was and overrated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Bushwhackers have a 5 star match the meltz was in attendance for.

• Locked thread