Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

haveblue posted:

In 2005 the sole purpose of patching was to fix technical errors; modern games that receive frequent content updates and balance tweaks through patches were not yet a thing. No one had yet figured out that the internet could make a game a dynamic, constantly growing experience, and Microsoft being Microsoft they had too much inertia to allow experimenting on their sealed-box console platform.

I don't think its that I think in 2005 the core demographic of the new systems may not have had internet access.

It was to discourage publishers to ship unfinished/unpolished games because you could have a sizeable percentage of the people buying it unable to patch it due to lack of internet access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Whiteycar posted:

It was to discourage publishers to ship unfinished/unpolished games because you could have a sizeable percentage of the people buying it unable to patch it due to lack of internet access.

That's another reason to want to make patches as rare as possible when you have the chance.

big mean giraffe posted:

I see you've never heard of the PC.

Other than MMOs and unofficial mods, who was doing the TF2 model before, well, TF2?

My point is more that MS was stuck in the old console mindset, since we're talking about consoles and all.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Anyone else have an issue with comments not loading for twitch on PS4? It seems to work sometimes, but more often than not now the comments won't load. Is this a Twitch issue that I have no control over?

Ustream works just fine though!

Edit: restarting the PS4 fixed it THIS time.

jasoneatspizza fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 10, 2014

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
http://www.behindgames.com/images-next-ps4-system-update-leaked-showcasing-new-design-system-notification/#!

Please be real please be real please be real.

I have no major gripes with the current system UI but that looks so much slicker.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

haveblue posted:

That's another reason to want to make patches as rare as possible when you have the chance.

Other than MMOs and unofficial mods, who was doing the TF2 model before, well, TF2?

My point is more that MS was stuck in the old console mindset, since we're talking about consoles and all.

It can be claimed that they still are! Console patching is woefully abysmal compared to PC. Steam just embarrasses the supposedly progressive XO/PS4. D3UEE and Destiny will be the first real test of the patching environment for the current gen.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I can't quote this enough. That looks SO much better. Hurry up and update PS4. :argh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cronox2 posted:

http://www.behindgames.com/images-next-ps4-system-update-leaked-showcasing-new-design-system-notification/#!

I have no major gripes with the current system UI but that looks so much slicker.

That does look really nice. I just hope it works better than the current ui.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

cronox2 posted:

Yeah, this looks great. I really like being able to make folders.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yeah, this looks great. I really like being able to make folders.

Having any way to organize games in the slightest would be great.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
There was a rumor back when 3D Blu support dropped a few weeks ago that a "significant" update was coming after Gamescom in August, so that might be it. Hopefully we will have it by the end of the month.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

cronox2 posted:

I gotta Call fake

1) in the picture with second son as the focus if you look at the folder Killzone has an RP symbol

2) in the Rogue Legacy picture, they show the person getting the trophy for beating the boss of the Maya, when he is clearly in the forest

3) in the picture where they are showing the games in the folder if you look up a little you can see the icon for Battlefield 4 changed, Second son's icon changed, and Rayman legends is suddenly missing from the menu bar

I do hope that I am wrong because the interface does look a bit more sleek like that and it also could mean more features are coming (MP3 support finally for MLB?) but I am not counting on this one.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

timeandtide posted:

There was a rumor back when 3D Blu support dropped a few weeks ago that a "significant" update was coming after Gamescom in August, so that might be it. Hopefully we will have it by the end of the month.

Gamescom would be a good place to announce such a thing.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Someone used Photo Mode to make an amazing TLOU Remastered trailer. Spoilers for the whole game, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O85ZnBXAxtc

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

drat, that's awesome. I wonder how he recorded it--directly saving the PS4 output while steadily moving the sticks? I guess the alternative is saving individual frames and then animating them, which would be hell to get consistent movement with.

More games need photo modes like Infamous and TLOU. Snapped this one from near the end of the game (minor setpiece spoiler, if you haven't finished the game yet): http://i.imgur.com/6ab7G7N.jpg

Been getting into photography over the past year and a half or so, and it's fun trying to set up a cool scene and then turn it into a cool photo by following compositional conventions.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

404notfound posted:

drat, that's awesome. I wonder how he recorded it--directly saving the PS4 output while steadily moving the sticks? I guess the alternative is saving individual frames and then animating them, which would be hell to get consistent movement with.

More games need photo modes like Infamous and TLOU. Snapped this one from near the end of the game (minor setpiece spoiler, if you haven't finished the game yet): http://i.imgur.com/6ab7G7N.jpg

Been getting into photography over the past year and a half or so, and it's fun trying to set up a cool scene and then turn it into a cool photo by following compositional conventions.

I just assumed that he would've used a capture device while moving the sticks. If that is all individual photos, then he's loving crazy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yeah, I just realized that using the PS4 share feature to save a video probably also works, so you don't even need a capture card or anything. In any case, it's an interesting application of the photo mode, using it to create videos. It's kind of funny using photo mode for the first time and being like "how do I save the pictu--oh," as you realize that the PS4 controller literally has a screenshot button on it.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I love open world racing games like the last couple of Test Drive games and Forza Horizon; where I can just cruise the open road and take part in the odd race that isn't measured in laps, but in percent complete. There isn't anything like that announced for PS4 is there?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

barren_sky posted:

I love open world racing games like the last couple of Test Drive games and Forza Horizon; where I can just cruise the open road and take part in the odd race that isn't measured in laps, but in percent complete. There isn't anything like that announced for PS4 is there?

The Crew is due out in November, it's an open-world driving game in the vein of Burnout Paradise, where you can cruise around the entire USA (scaled down naturally, but they claim it still takes like 2 hours to drive across) and sign up for various races or do on-the-road challenges at your leisure.

Giant Bomb ran an Unfinished of the PC beta a couple of weeks ago: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-the-crew-07-22-2014/2300-9254/

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
The Crew might be what you want. It's coming in November.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

404notfound posted:

Yeah, I just realized that using the PS4 share feature to save a video probably also works, so you don't even need a capture card or anything. In any case, it's an interesting application of the photo mode, using it to create videos. It's kind of funny using photo mode for the first time and being like "how do I save the pictu--oh," as you realize that the PS4 controller literally has a screenshot button on it.

Yep - though the PS4 video capture only does 720p30. A capture card would still be worth it if you wanted your special trailer project to show off the game's full visual quality. Are there capture cards that can capture in 1080p60?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Eek, kinda surprised at how weak Killzone Shadow Fall's first hour is.

On the one hand, its cool to see a bit wider of a playground and a bit of non-linearity - on the downside I feel like a drunken soldier stumbling into bases and tripping alarms left and right. I'm hoping this faffing about gives way to a more scripted shooter, or at least one that doesn't feel quite as poorly designed.

And I know the series has been moving away from that heavy weighty feel to combat and movement since Killzone 2, but this feels like too far in the other direction. It just feels very standard and stilted, miles away from the measured gunfights of Killzone 3.

Sure is purdy, though. And hey, I hear Wolfenstein is the real prize.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Eek, kinda surprised at how weak Killzone Shadow Fall's first hour is.

On the one hand, its cool to see a bit wider of a playground and a bit of non-linearity - on the downside I feel like a drunken soldier stumbling into bases and tripping alarms left and right. I'm hoping this faffing about gives way to a more scripted shooter, or at least one that doesn't feel quite as poorly designed.

And I know the series has been moving away from that heavy weighty feel to combat and movement since Killzone 2, but this feels like too far in the other direction. It just feels very standard and stilted, miles away from the measured gunfights of Killzone 3.

Shadow Fall becomes much more corridor and shooter oriented after about the first 2 levels. But the game just feels off and I can decide if I like it for it or not. Everything in the first few levels feel barren. Like hardly any enemies, but I guess its a decent change from shooting up armies of helghast.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I apologise if this has been asked already but how is the co-op for Killzone?

I've been really wanting a good co-op game, I've been dabbling in Warframe but wouldn't mind more options.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

X_ThePerfect posted:

I apologise if this has been asked already but how is the co-op for Killzone?

I've been really wanting a good co-op game, I've been dabbling in Warframe but wouldn't mind more options.

Its quite honestly poo poo. Skip it. Its unbalanced as hell. But they may have changed some stuff. Last time I played was, unlock jetpacks, win.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I liked Wolfenstein, but not as much as some here. The boss fights were not that good and while the gunplay in general was really good I felt like there were to many of the "harder" enemies and the max ammo cap was to low to really go into a room and start blasting poo poo while dual wielding assault rifles. Basically I felt like I had to play way more careful than I wanted. I think if you either had more ammo or slightly less of the "harder" enemies (replacing them with more normal enemies) it would have been okay.

I was also annoyed by how often I lost all my weapons (seriously this loving sucked), I wish they had done more with the moon and the ending was unsatisfying.

Game was fun though, just not great. I'd say 6.5 out of 10

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Are there capture cards that can capture in 1080p60?

At the consumer level there are three, two by a Japanese company called Micomsoft and one by AVerMedia.

AVerMedia's solution, the ExtremeCap U3, requires USB3 and can use either component+RCA or HDMI to capture, and is just shy of $200. No passthrough.

From Micomsoft there's the XCAPTURE-1 which is a USB 3 (USB 3 is required) breakout box of sorts, and the SC-512N1-L/DVI which is a Gen2 PCIe-x1 card that takes up two slots (only one PCIe-x1 connector, but it has a "riser" board for the second set of connectors). Price depends on how you get it but each solution is around $350 + getting it from Japan. Both these solutions offer passthrough and are designed with retro systems in mind so they will accept pretty much any type of connection from composite and up, including VGA (and DVI in the case of the SC-512N1-L/DVI), although if you want SCART RGB connectivity you'll need another complementary box which is another $100ish.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

univbee posted:

At the consumer level there are three, two by a Japanese company called Micomsoft and one by AVerMedia.

AVerMedia's solution, the ExtremeCap U3, requires USB3 and can use either component+RCA or HDMI to capture, and is just shy of $200. No passthrough.

From Micomsoft there's the XCAPTURE-1 which is a USB 3 (USB 3 is required) breakout box of sorts, and the SC-512N1-L/DVI which is a Gen2 PCIe-x1 card that takes up two slots (only one PCIe-x1 connector, but it has a "riser" board for the second set of connectors). Price depends on how you get it but each solution is around $350 + getting it from Japan. Both these solutions offer passthrough and are designed with retro systems in mind so they will accept pretty much any type of connection from composite and up, including VGA (and DVI in the case of the SC-512N1-L/DVI), although if you want SCART RGB connectivity you'll need another complementary box which is another $100ish.
I personally have a XCAPTURE-1 and it works great for 1080p60 capture from the PS4, though I ended up buying a USB 3.0 expansion card because as it turns out, my motherboard's USB 3.0 support is lovely, and would constantly break until reboot when capturing.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2014

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Its quite honestly poo poo. Skip it. Its unbalanced as hell. But they may have changed some stuff. Last time I played was, unlock jetpacks, win.

That's a bit disappointing. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll give it a pass.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

blackguy32 posted:

Shadow Fall becomes much more corridor and shooter oriented after about the first 2 levels. But the game just feels off and I can decide if I like it for it or not. Everything in the first few levels feel barren. Like hardly any enemies, but I guess its a decent change from shooting up armies of helghast.

Oh hey, wait for the end of chapter 7 if you want armies of helghasts.

I loved the second part of chapter 4 train mission and the second part of chapter 6 where you have to escape east berlin with the help of the daughter of stalin, but the end of chapter 7 is pure, unalterated bullshit with a topping of rushed ending. If I can't finish it off at easy mode I won't touch the single player anymore, and that's a pity because mercenary's single player was balanced way better and is actually replayable.

The multiplayer in Shadowfall is just way better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The beginning of chapter 8 is even more bullshit and the difficulty can't be turned down (the fall onto Helghan) so you choose a good place to quit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

barren_sky posted:

The impressions goons had from the beta on PC for the Crew were not at all positive. The game seems to have a lot of serious issues.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

The impressions goons had from the beta on PC for the Crew were not at all positive. The game seems to have a lot of serious issues.

Like what? Genuinely curious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

Like what? Genuinely curious.

Serious technical issues such as the performance of your car being tied to frame rate and input controllers, so multiple controllers actually somehow manages to make your car go slower. Then there's been feedback about just how terrible the cars handle and feel. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653071

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I said come in! posted:

Serious technical issues such as the performance of your car being tied to frame rate and input controllers, so multiple controllers actually somehow manages to make your car go slower. Then there's been feedback about just how terrible the cars handle and feel. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653071

drat, that sucks. I was actually really looking forward to this game.

I want to be hopeful that Ubisoft can iron out the flaws before release, but I won't kid myself. :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JordanKai posted:

drat, that sucks. I was actually really looking forward to this game. :smith:

I was too, the whole thing looked really awesome. We have Drive Club and Project Cars though, but no good open world racing games on PS4.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I haven't tried The Crew's beta, but I did enjoy Test Drive Unlimited 2 even though the cars handled like poo poo.
I just liked driving around and exploring...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aishan posted:

The Crew is due out in November, it's an open-world driving game in the vein of Burnout Paradise, where you can cruise around the entire USA (scaled down naturally, but they claim it still takes like 2 hours to drive across) and sign up for various races or do on-the-road challenges at your leisure.

Giant Bomb ran an Unfinished of the PC beta a couple of weeks ago: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-the-crew-07-22-2014/2300-9254/

I know people are saying that the beta sucked, but Ubisoft must have me pegged -- when I thought it was just "the racing game without a drum'n'bass soundtrack" I had no interest in it, but when the Giant Bomb folks were making fun of the story mode where you have to rise through the ranks of an underground racing and smuggling ring to avenge your brother's murder which you got framed for, I was all "OK now I have to play this"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I said come in! posted:

I was too, the whole thing looked really awesome. We have Drive Club and Project Cars though, but no good open world racing games on PS4.

I'm definitely excited for Drive Club, but at the end of the day I'm way more into open world racing games than regular ones. I was really hoping that The Crew was going to be one that struck a next gen home run right off the bat. I guess we'll have to wait a little while longer for that. :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

limaCAT posted:

Oh hey, wait for the end of chapter 7 if you want armies of helghasts.

I loved the second part of chapter 4 train mission and the second part of chapter 6 where you have to escape east berlin with the help of the daughter of stalin, but the end of chapter 7 is pure, unalterated bullshit with a topping of rushed ending. If I can't finish it off at easy mode I won't touch the single player anymore, and that's a pity because mercenary's single player was balanced way better and is actually replayable.

The multiplayer in Shadowfall is just way better.

Well, the very last section of the game is full of bullshit that rivals that of Killzone 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You know; it just dawned on me that I will be able to play GTA5 on the shitter with remote play. This is amazing.

• Locked thread