Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I kinda enjoyed Desktop Dungeons, but not as much as I would have an actual roguelike. Desktop Dungeons is basically a puzzle game, where you have to manage health by exploiting the predictability of enemy attacks and only exploring the dungeon when you need health. But I guess I can always just SSH into crawl.akrasiac.org for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I bought Kinect Void awhile ago but sat on it for a really long time (still sitting on it, actually). Last month I got Space Engineers and SE is scratching the space sandbox/builder itch pretty drat well.

I still don't really understand what kind of game Kinect Void is. I gathered that it also has a ship builder part to the game, but I also saw somewhere that there's exploration of some kind, but I couldn't find any more details.

What I want to know is how similar KV and SE are, and what kind of game KV really is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved the poo poo out of it. The sidequests were a lot of fun even if the rewards weren't great, because they were usually full of fun little references and jokes.

Super easy, though, since it has a combat system made to be broken over your knee.

I played through it fully twice and sat and watched a friend play through the entire thing as well and I still found it funny and engaging. It really was tremendous fun.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
:whatup: steam thread.

Just checking if I'm retarded or not: is there no way to install free-to-play games from Big Picture mode? Trying to install Expendabros and I'm just not seeing an option.

Obviously I can just switch back to normal Steam and do it from there, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks steam thread. PS Broforce is great.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HardDisk posted:

I bought Kinect Void awhile ago but sat on it for a really long time (still sitting on it, actually). Last month I got Space Engineers and SE is scratching the space sandbox/builder itch pretty drat well.

I still don't really understand what kind of game Kinect Void is. I gathered that it also has a ship builder part to the game, but I also saw somewhere that there's exploration of some kind, but I couldn't find any more details.

What I want to know is how similar KV and SE are, and what kind of game KV really is.

KV isn't really a game yet. :shrug: Getting there quicker and quicker, but it still needs a bit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ya'll remember this right? Perhaps all this Sierra business is the precursor for the long-awaited finale to this trilogy...

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I can't believe nobody recommended The Swapper.

It's a pretty great option for what you're looking for, Darkrenown. I can't really remember many time-sensitive platforming sequences, but even if she had trouble with those, the game has an inbuilt slowmotion feature.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OrangeSoda posted:

I can't seem to find the steam tech support thread that used to exist, can anyone help me? Every time I start steam it just closes on it's own in the background. Iv'e tried restarting and deleting clientregistry.blob, which it will not let me delete because apparently steam is still "Running" if I check my task manager. Attempting to kill the process there isn't doing anything.

The only thing out of the ordinary iv'e noticed is that it's been endlessly "unpacking" an update for Payday 2.

EDIT: Starting in offline mode and uninstalling the game worked at last, it didn't crash for once.

This was a few pages back, but how crowded is your harddrive? IME, Steam freaks the hell out if it's trying to do something without enough space.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Ghostlight posted:

The new F2p Royal Quest has to have the single most disappointing trailer ever crafted.

It opens on a generic witch doctor figure in game with sliding 2D art of him over the video, like most MMORPGS introduce their classes. Then it cuts to a giant frog man with a machete, then some kind of dryad, a proto-dragon, mushroom beast, card playing robot and it just goes on and on introducing all these fantastic creatures that get me thinking that even if the game sucks it'd still be fun to run around for a bit as some kind of wolverine centaur.

Just past the halfway mark it goes apeshit on the 2D art slides and pulls in the title screen, immediately ushering in arrival of the actual player characters and for the rest of the trailer you get to watch the most dirt-generic Final Fantasy protagonists ham-handedly attack everything you just finished dreaming about playing as.

I read and understood your full post. Then I clicked the store page link and watched the trailer and just like you said, due to the way they present this exactly like player characters are introduced in every other MMO ever, I found myself going 'whoa I can be a slug that moves using it's knife arms? yeah!' only to have the same disappointment at the halfway mark.

Now, I kinda wish there was an MMO where you were a monster with cool monster abilities and fought parties of adventurers in dungeons.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

KoldPT posted:

It's a pretty great option for what you're looking for, Darkrenown. I can't really remember many time-sensitive platforming sequences, but even if she had trouble with those, the game has an inbuilt slowmotion feature.

The Swapper owns, but she is not sold on the amount of clone-murder. Maybe I can lie and say they are only hardlight holograms or something...

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone, quite few of them look good.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Delusibeta posted:

No, because FM2015 isn't out until November. :v:

The beta is out just yesterday. :coffeepal:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

pandaK posted:

So Steam keeps telling me I have a Dota 2 update to install no matter how many times I update and run it. It's just stuck in the downloading tab at 0% and keeps my Steam userbar icon at a permanent working status. What the hell is going on?
If you are running the beta, they pushed out an update last night that fixed some forced reloading or some poo poo like that.
Try and see if an update might fix it.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Anyone else enjoying Insurgency enough to go in on a 4-pack? I'd like to go in on one... but I wouldn't be the ideal buyer. 4-pack saves you a couple of bucks with this weekend's 50% off.

1. (buyer)
2. Essobie

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Saints Row IV Ultimate Edition worth it at 20 bucks?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Desktop Dungeons is great. The later dungeons/puzzles are brutal though, you really need to start thinking outside the box for them. And there's always more, too.

KoldPT posted:

The Swapper is good but one of the few games where I thought it'd be better as a two hour walking simulator. The puzzles dragged it down for me (they aren't bad, but they do get pretty hard by the end and you need to finish every last one) and I really wanted to just do the exploration and piece together the story.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scyantific posted:

Saints Row IV Ultimate Edition worth it at 20 bucks?
Most of the DLC is just cosmetic, I'd suggest just picking up the base game and season pass and save like 8 bucks.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mr. nobody posted:

Now, I kinda wish there was an MMO where you were a monster with cool monster abilities and fought parties of adventurers in dungeons.

LOTRO has "Monster play" which I hope and assume is like that, but I've not actually tried it myself.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone try out Rise of Incarnates? It has an open beta even going on right now, it's kind of fun but I haven't been able to actually get a match with a real person yet which kind of sucks.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

ookiimarukochan posted:

LOTRO has "Monster play" which I hope and assume is like that, but I've not actually tried it myself.

Sadly, LOTRO Monster Play is just their way of PVP because the Tolkien estate doesn't want Light races killing each other. Nowhere near as cool as you'd think.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SilverMike posted:

Sadly, LOTRO Monster Play is just their way of PVP because the Tolkien estate doesn't want Light races killing each other. Nowhere near as cool as you'd think.

Didn't I kill a number of evil dwarves in that game?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

I was totally excited back when Quantum Conundrum was coming out. It seemed pretty neat; more Portal, but different.

And then I played the demo and it was such a silly piece of poo poo. I feel like you're better off weatching the trailer and going away than actually playing it. The puzzles were not interesting mechanically, instead relying on the 'cuteness' of the visuals. The story was dumb and uninterestingly portrayed.

I don't know. Stay away from it.

Quantum Conundrum was one of the bigger disappointments for me recently for games. Everything about it fell flat for me, the puzzles weren't fun and it was aggressively boring when it tried to be funny. It was nice looking but I couldn't even get into the aesthetic. Such a bummer.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Wendell posted:

Didn't I kill a number of evil dwarves in that game?

Probably, I never said the Tolkien estate was consistent about their views. And that's just what I remember third-hand from a long time back, it could be bullshit.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I'm not sure if it's related, but after I started using the Steam Beta, SAM stopped working. It just errors out whenever I try to start a game. Anyone else have this problem?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I've been using the steam beta client for some time and can confirm that SAM.picker.exe runs fine, and properly idles games when I double click them from that list.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

yegods posted:

I'm not sure if it's related, but after I started using the Steam Beta, SAM stopped working. It just errors out whenever I try to start a game. Anyone else have this problem?
You might need to reinstall SAM. SAM had an update a little while ago that made older versions not work anymore.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Accordion Man posted:

You might need to reinstall SAM. SAM had an update a little while ago that made older versions not work anymore.

That was it, thanks!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey since search is down, are there threads / Goon Communities for the following StarForge and Unturned?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

mr. nobody posted:

Everquest had this briefly but had to get rid of it when people started figuring out ways to grief people even harder than you would imagine with a premise like that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Couldn't GMs in Everquest just take over random monsters without any obvious tell? I seem to recall some interesting stories surrounding that.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Couldn't GMs in Everquest just take over random monsters without any obvious tell? I seem to recall some interesting stories surrounding that.

There was a /command to change into anything we wanted basically, and specialty mobs were created for events and such. It was pretty cool. No specific mob hijack that I was aware of though.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 9, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a thread for Robocraft? It's pretty fun tearing apart tanks and lovely hovercraft that all look like they fell out of a space version of Mad Max.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Everquest had this briefly but had to get rid of it when people started figuring out ways to grief people even harder than you would imagine with a premise like that.

Haha yeah I remember that, if I remember right you could keep relogging for the monster-play until you ended up as an orc in east commonlands and you were not restricted to any area of the zone so you could hit the north ro tunnel and newbie areas it was awesome.

What I was hoping for would be more that you play as a monster in a PVE MMO. The NPCs would be the 'adventurer parties' and you'd start out having to kill one on one 'adventurers' (NPCs) and by max level the content would be you (and monster friends (player characters)) trying not to die to the raids of adventurers assembled to kill you.

But you'd be the boss(es) with the cool AE abilities and fire breaths and what not!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Holy poo poo Nosgoth is really fun. First match and I already have enough cash to buy some abilities, it seems. Founder Packs are 50% off so there's no better moment to jump in; I'd do so but my ping is 240ms when I play, and while the netcode is still pretty good, it feels weird. :v:

One cool thing: the Soul Reaver games never depicted the Razielim (the clan from which the main character descends), but this game does.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

After several people said good things about The Room a few pages back I recommended it to my girlfriend. She really enjoyed it, but it was pretty short, so what other similar games are out there and good?

Mind: The Path To Thalamus is probably what you want.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Looks interesting!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Looks interesting!

And if she likes that, Ether One is pretty decent as well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo Nosgoth is really fun. First match and I already have enough cash to buy some abilities, it seems. Founder Packs are 50% off so there's no better moment to jump in; I'd do so but my ping is 240ms when I play, and while the netcode is still pretty good, it feels weird. :v:

One cool thing: the Soul Reaver games never depicted the Razielim (the clan from which the main character descends), but this game does.

I came here to make almost this exact post. Nosgoth is really really fun, it has like a 2.5gb install and its free this weekend. Try it ya'll.

Add me for casual Nosgothin'. I wont be using voice chat or anything
http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 9, 2014

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
My only beef with Nosgoth is that you're forced to play humans, vampires are way more fun :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Accordion Man posted:

Most of the DLC is just cosmetic, I'd suggest just picking up the base game and season pass and save like 8 bucks.

Enter the Dominatrix and Saint's Save Christmas. :colbert:

Can't. loving. Read. :derp:

Malek fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 10, 2014

• Locked thread