Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can use it as a heavy thing to press tortillas or squeeze the water out of tofu or otherwise weigh stuff down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Paninis maybe. Mine is collecting dust in the garage.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nwin posted:

I have these currently and they're great but the 10" is losing it's non-stick properties

losing their non-stick properties? I've only had mine a couple years but they look basically new. you aren't using metal utensils in them are you? :(

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mindphlux posted:

losing their non-stick properties? I've only had mine a couple years but they look basically new. you aren't using metal utensils in them are you? :(

Nope. Nothing is flaking off or anything, but I find myself needing a lot to cool with more fat than before, especially for eggs. I made some scrambled eggs this weekend and a lot of them stuck to the pan.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If they are losing their non-stick property iteans the surface is "damages" this can sometimes happen from heating and cooling too rapidly, or heating too high. However, quality pans should not do that.
I gave my sister a ceramic coated pan for her birthday (some swedish brand) and she loves it. Maybe try that. Alternatively there are also pans made from a cast alloy that are nonstick. But they are very heavy, on par wirh cast iron. I'll check mine when I get home to see what it is made of exactly. Brand won't help as it is a German only small manufacturer.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

mindphlux posted:

someone gifted me these, and they're really good. completely happy with them. http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon-unison-nonstick-2-pc-8-10-omelette-pan-set/332589

I don't use them much, but when I need a nonstick, they're nicely weighted, heat evenly, etc.

I think that's what I'll get. My mom had a set from BBB, but they started flaking after a couple years. She walked into BBB with the pans and they gave her a 100% store credit, so I'll just bank on that. I do remember them being pretty awesome. Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hed posted:

While my wife was cleaning out old crap she found a 14" enameled cast iron pan with those ridges for grill marks. I think back in college I thought it was cool so my mom gave it to me but now years later I have to ask: what is this type of pan useful for? Right now it just looks like the answer is "a lot of cleaning if you cook with it".

I have a Lodge with grooves but I can never get it to clean as easily as my other pans. Then again I don't use it much and maybe I just need to sentence it to the BBQ grill and then bring it in the house and make oven bacon a few times with it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Hed posted:

While my wife was cleaning out old crap she found a 14" enameled cast iron pan with those ridges for grill marks. I think back in college I thought it was cool so my mom gave it to me but now years later I have to ask: what is this type of pan useful for? Right now it just looks like the answer is "a lot of cleaning if you cook with it".

My parents had/have a pan like that, it came with weight with a handle to heat along side it and make paninis.

Zhundult
Apr 4, 2013
My wife has finally hit the jackpot with our vegetable garden, after many years trying, we have enough vegetables to can some. So far she's been filling the jars and boiling them in a big pot for 3 hours, following some instructions she found on the internet, but I'm thinking we may want to look into a pressure cooker to aid in the process, especially if she's going to be able to repeat her success this year in the future.

So, any recommendations for a pressure cooker that will likely be used for canning veggies in the summer, and then not used much again after that? Neither of us have ever used one, so we really don't know what we should be looking for in it.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Zhundult posted:

My wife has finally hit the jackpot with our vegetable garden, after many years trying, we have enough vegetables to can some. So far she's been filling the jars and boiling them in a big pot for 3 hours, following some instructions she found on the internet, but I'm thinking we may want to look into a pressure cooker to aid in the process, especially if she's going to be able to repeat her success this year in the future.

So, any recommendations for a pressure cooker that will likely be used for canning veggies in the summer, and then not used much again after that? Neither of us have ever used one, so we really don't know what we should be looking for in it.

With pressure canners bigger is better - it's much easier to maintain even heating/pressure on a larger volume of water. Also reduces the amount of time you're working in a hot kitchen in August. Something big enough to hold 4 quart jars is considered the minimum. Pressure canners are sold based on their liquid volume, not necessarily the number of jars they hold, so you have to read carefully. Consider the size of your stove and ambition when buying.

American Standard is my favourite: http://www.amazon.com/All-American-921-2-Quart-Pressure/dp/B00004S88Z/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407257809&sr=8-2&keywords=pressure+canner

The 10.5 quart model is so cute! Small enough you can use it for cooking in the off season, and you will literally be handing it down to your kids.

Presto is the other commonly available brand: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-1755-16-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure/dp/B000QJJ9NY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407256147&sr=8-3&keywords=pressure+canner

Much cheaper, but very lightly built. Should work fine for light duty as long as you don't knock it about and make sure you replace the seals regularly.

I'm not sure about the safety of processing low acid vegetables in a boiling water bath. I think you might be in "things people say they've gotten away with on the Internet" territory. Make sure you develop the home canner habit when opening a jar of checking for lid bulging and listening for the pop of vacuum release (rather than a pressurized outgassing hiss) when you open a jar. Lightly tapping the lid with the edge of a spoon should always produce a nice, tight, ping.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
When's the last time we talked about chopping boards? I feel like we should talk about chopping boards.

Currently have a lovely bamboo board that is eating my knives. I'll probably pick up one of these because don't really have access to anything else at the moment: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15591/Lakeland-Oak-Chopping-Board
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15590/Beech-Chopping-Block

Recommendations on non-lovely boards, best wood type, etc?

Zhundult
Apr 4, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm not sure about the safety of processing low acid vegetables in a boiling water bath. I think you might be in "things people say they've gotten away with on the Internet" territory. Make sure you develop the home canner habit when opening a jar of checking for lid bulging and listening for the pop of vacuum release (rather than a pressurized outgassing hiss) when you open a jar. Lightly tapping the lid with the edge of a spoon should always produce a nice, tight, ping.

Thanks for the suggestions. So far she's done only green beans, and has had good success getting all of her lids to seal properly, save one. We decided to have that jar for dinner. We will make sure they all still have a proper seal before using them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angor posted:

When's the last time we talked about chopping boards? I feel like we should talk about chopping boards.

Currently have a lovely bamboo board that is eating my knives. I'll probably pick up one of these because don't really have access to anything else at the moment: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15591/Lakeland-Oak-Chopping-Board
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15590/Beech-Chopping-Block

Recommendations on non-lovely boards, best wood type, etc?

That looks way too small to be useful, but you're on the right track. End grain, hardwood boards are what you want. Walnut and maple seem to be the most coveted, although I would think most hardwoods would do just fine.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That looks way too small to be useful, but you're on the right track. End grain, hardwood boards are what you want. Walnut and maple seem to be the most coveted, although I would think most hardwoods would do just fine.

Any suggestions for raw meat? I have a nice end-grain one but I don't want to cut raw meat (especially Poultry) on it. Should I just pick up any cheap dishwasher safe plastic one?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sportman posted:

Any suggestions for raw meat? I have a nice end-grain one but I don't want to cut raw meat (especially Poultry) on it. Should I just pick up any cheap dishwasher safe plastic one?

Why don't you want to cut raw meat on it? It's fine. Just keep it properly oiled and hand wash it after use.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Sportman posted:

You might be interested in this research from UC Davis: http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

tl;dr: Wood is antibacterial, plastic carries way more bacteria.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
But you can put your plastic/other synthetic surface cutting board in a washing machine which, I assume, will sanitize it pretty dang well. Can't really do that with wood

I mean if you have a dishwasher.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

FishBulb posted:

But you can put your plastic/other synthetic surface cutting board in a washing machine which, I assume, will sanitize it pretty dang well. Can't really do that with wood

I mean if you have a dishwasher.

The surface maybe, but subsurface will be ripe with crap, which is why wood makes good cutting boards.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use both wood and plastic, they're both fine. It's convenient that you can throw plastic in the dishwasher, but from a safety standpoint bacteria on wood has never been an issue; a lazy scrub with soap is more than enough.

I'm pretty sure plastic is plenty safe as well up until it starts getting enough gashes to look like sandpaper, but at that point you should just replace them anyways because they look so ugly and you should be ashamed of having such an ugly cutting board.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 6, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

I use both wood and plastic, they're both fine. It's convenient that you can throw plastic in the dishwasher, but from a safety standpoint bacteria on wood has never been an issue; a lazy scrub with soap is more than enough.

I'm pretty sure plastic is plenty safe as well up until it starts getting enough gashes to look like sandpaper, but at that point you should just replace them anyways because they look so ugly and you should be ashamed of having such an ugly cutting board.

Except Sani-Tuff, you just sand Sani-Tuff.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

deimos posted:

The surface maybe, but subsurface will be ripe with crap, which is why wood makes good cutting boards.
Not unless your dishwasher is malfunctioning.

This is a dumb argument. Do not make this argument. Do not rely on magical antimicrobial properties of wood for food safety. Avoid cross-contamination and clean prep surfaces thoroughly regardless of what they're made of.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Zhundult posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. So far she's done only green beans, and has had good success getting all of her lids to seal properly, save one. We decided to have that jar for dinner. We will make sure they all still have a proper seal before using them.

Pick up the Ball Blue Book. It's a comprehensive guide on how to safely can/freeze/dehydrate pretty much anything.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

Not unless your dishwasher is malfunctioning.

This is a dumb argument. Do not make this argument. Do not rely on magical antimicrobial properties of wood for food safety. Avoid cross-contamination and clean prep surfaces thoroughly regardless of what they're made of.

Yeah, basically I want something I can throw in the dishwasher and just not worry about it. I clean and oil my wood cutting board, but sometimes I'm lazy. Wiping it clean after cutting some peppers is one thing. Scrubbing it every time I cut chicken is a pain in the rear end. I bought a cheap plastic one and will just replace it as needed.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if scrubbing down a wood cutting board is too much cleanup work, you probably shouldn't be cooking. just get some takeout and microwave it - way faster.

my favorite cutting boards have come from ikea. I think I have this (without the hole, maybe they don't make it anymore) : http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30252379/ and this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30087148/

I own about 10 other cutting boards, but those two (and another small cheese board) are what I use 90% of the time.

like I literally own this http://www.brooklynbutcherblocks.com/collections/frontpage/products/dark-board $150 end grain cutting board, and I use my $6 ikea one more, because it's not noticeably smaller, weighs 1/4th as much, and is easier to maneuver when scraping poo poo into pots/cleaning/whatever.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
s'up IKEA cutting board buddy...

I also have the second one you posted, and I also use it turned upside down, covering my stovetop and "hooked" to the edge of the counter by means of the small vertical part to knead dough on top of it.
I regularly rub it down with olive oil and after cleaning and it works a treat

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mindphlux posted:

like I literally own this http://www.brooklynbutcherblocks.com/collections/frontpage/products/dark-board $150 end grain cutting board, and I use my $6 ikea one more, because it's not noticeably smaller, weighs 1/4th as much, and is easier to maneuver when scraping poo poo into pots/cleaning/whatever.

Sup Brooklyn Butcher Block bro :respek:

I agree though. Unless I'm doing a whole lotta prep work and need the extra space, I'll always just grab my much lighter plastic boards.

That said, there's something very satisfying about chopping on a huge hunk of wood that just isn't found with a plastic board.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Hey, I'm looking to buy an electric grill and would like some recommendations for good brands (sorry if it's been discussed before, thread is really long). I looked around a bit and the Cuisinart grill seems interesting since it can do both meat and vegetables on one side and pancakes and eggs on the other.

Any other thoughts?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Use your oven, it's a much bigger and more powerful electric grill than anything you can plug in outside.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I use a crummy Ikea wooden cutting board for raw meat and only raw meat.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I got an KitchenAid mixer for a little over $200 at Target. Looks like they're still on sale - I assume it's an older model: http://www.target.com/p/kitchenaid-classic-4-5-qt-stand-mixer/-/A-14830664#prodSlot=_1_2

I used it to make some banana bread a couple days ago and it's pretty awesome.

I also just accidentally posted this in a Diablo 3 thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

various cheeses posted:

I got an KitchenAid mixer for a little over $200 at Target. Looks like they're still on sale - I assume it's an older model: http://www.target.com/p/kitchenaid-classic-4-5-qt-stand-mixer/-/A-14830664#prodSlot=_1_2

I used it to make some banana bread a couple days ago and it's pretty awesome.

I also just accidentally posted this in a Diablo 3 thread.

Nah, that's the Classic which is their budget model. It does say that it's an all-metal drive system so that's a plus.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I ended up getting the beech wood one because it's a good size. I'll be in Brussels next week, so I can try and pick up a nicer end-grain one there. It'll be nice getting away from my lovely bamboo one.

Also picked up a ceramic knife for the bar! :chef:

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
wow there is definitely some great information in this thread, but can it please be edited and written into the OP? It's unreasonable to expect everyone to read 150 (one hundred and fifty) pages of discussion to learn the results of that discussion. :coolfish:

the GWS wiki would be a great place for working on this sort of thing, if it weren't dead (apparently).

Also on cutting boards: I read Cooks Illustrated for equipment reviews, and they claim nothing beats Teak. It oils itself (it's a very oily and tuff wood!), it "heals" knife cuts, poo poo is amazing, as long as you don't throw it in the dishwasher. Also the oil is possibly antimicrobial if that's your thing. The block they tested was $80. Granted, I did read that in a year old magazine, which I can't find, but do a little gum shoein' if you want that exact board, I guess.

I plan on buying a teak board on my next move (a month away). Will inform as to how terribly it goes.

Knowing wood types can be very helpful! Knowing exotic woods, which are worth paying for, which will hold up, will save you time and $$ when picking out &/ building furniture. Strongly advise you to murder anyone who tries to sell you a bamboo board, with the board they're trying to sell.

How many cutting boards do you guys have? I have three: plastic, oak slab (literally planed from woodshop scraps) and some unknown hardwood I inherited.

EDIT: GWS wiki was 404ing for me before; it's not now. :marc:

froward fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 10, 2014

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

froward posted:

wow there is definitely some great information in this thread, but can it please be edited and written into the OP? It's unreasonable to expect everyone to read 150 (one hundred and fifty) pages of discussion to learn the results of that discussion. :coolfish:

the GWS wiki would be a great place for working on this sort of thing, if it weren't dead (apparently).

I plan on buying a teak board on my next move (a month away). Will inform as to how terribly it goes.

The GWS wiki is still working. People just need to add articles. That's kind of sort of the point of a wiki.

As far as teak, I have a huge teak cutting board. I never use it. It dulls knives almost as fast as glass. But apparently this differs hugely from region to region, the silica content of the wood depends on the soil the tree grows in. So your teak board might be fine. I just hate dulling my knives, so right now the board is used as a giant coaster.

Dane fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 10, 2014

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Dane posted:

The GWS wiki is still working. People just need to add articles. That's kind of sort of the point of a wiki.

As far as teak, I have a huge teak cutting board. I never use it. It dulls knives almost as fast as glass. But apparently this differs hugely from region to region, the silica content of the wood depends on the soil the tree grows in. So your teak board might be fine. I just hate dulling my knives, so right now the board is used as a giant coaster.

wow I wasn't aware of silica content even being a thing that gets measured! I searched up some articles on the topic and was so overcome that I am literally going the hell home! see ya next time! :coolfish:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Doom Rooster posted:

Just made my first batch of rice, and holy poo poo. For years I've been saying that my $35 Aroma rice cooker made perfect rice. I didn't know what perfect rice WAS until just now.

At the rate that I gently caress up rice (~100% of the time) I really should get one of these. Thanks for the recommendation!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

froward posted:

How many cutting boards do you guys have? I have three: plastic, oak slab (literally planed from woodshop scraps) and some unknown hardwood I inherited.
I have two wooden cutting boards---one regular use and one that gets used mostly as a serving platter---and like a half a dozen poly boards of various sizes. Because they're only a couple bucks so why the gently caress not and gently caress having to worry about whether or not I can lay hands on a clean board if I'm in the middle of something.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

At the rate that I gently caress up rice (~100% of the time) I really should get one of these. Thanks for the recommendation!

If you're looking for something slightly more reasonable price wise, I recently bought a Hitachi RZ-VMC18Y.

It comes in 1 and 1.8L sizes, you can buy variants for any part of the world it seems, and it comes with a steamer.

After having had it for a few weeks, I'm just as in love with it as Doom Roster is with his/hers. The rice is just perfect, even if I use the long-term timer. ( Waking up to newly cooked rice, or coming home to it after work? :neckbeard: )

I also.. *cough* made pizza in it, and it ended up ok for what it was.
( Don't blame me, I saw the recipe in the cookbook that came with it and was deathly curious how it would end up )

All in all, it's amazing to be able to just dump rice and water into the cooker, and have it come out perfect every drat time.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

SubNat posted:

The rice is just perfect, even if I use the long-term timer. ( Waking up to newly cooked rice, or coming home to it after work? :neckbeard: )

Four years on with our rice cooker and I still find this amazing. I really don't understand how these machines can soak rice all day and still cook it perfectly in time for dinner. :magical:

I'm not a big fan of small electrical kitchen appliances but the rice cooker and the Zojirushi water boiler are two that will be replaced the moment they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I have tried search and found nothing, so hopefully this hasn't been asked about before -

I am looking for a stock pot and have read the guide, but can't find anything about this type of cookware.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woll-Tita...=item2ed3648c1d

It's thick aluminum but with a titanium coating. They also make diamond coated versions which I have heard are not as durable.

Does anyone have experience with this type of pot? Is the titanium coating actually durable enough to make this meaningfully different than normal non-stick? It's about the same price as a tri-ply (except I can't find good tri - ply for 50% off normal retail price). Or would I be better off just getting tri ply?

Thanks for any input or experience you have.

• Locked thread