Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeno-25 posted:

Socially acceptable schizophrenia.

I like the part where they claim Thundercats is evil because of Hinduism, and also where they claim Smurfette was created by a male Smurf transforming into female (which proves all the Smurfs are gay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I like the part where they claim Thundercats is evil because of Hinduism, and also where they claim Smurfette was created by a male Smurf transforming into female (which proves all the Smurfs are gay).

To be fair, we all wondered what the nightlife was like in there in Smurf village.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

harpomarxist posted:

The most consistent conspiracy stuff I see on FB is 'Marxist' friends claiming that the shooting down of MH17 was a CIA false flag op. This also then gets tied up with NATO grand strategy stuff and of course, the defense of Putin as an anti imperialist fighter. Maybe we'll find out the CIA were behind it, in the meantime I don't want to see your globalresearch.ca links anymore bro.
Russia Today is bastion of truth.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Section 31 posted:

Russia Today is bastion of truth.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/18/another-russia-today-reporter-resigns-every-single-day-were-lying-and-finding-sexier-ways-to-do-it/

Indeed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

twistedmentat posted:

Is that the one where they did a bunch of experiments showing people what happened, but the CTs rebutted by saying "Yea, but that doesn't disprove my theory!".

I watched one yesterday on Netflix by National Geographic where they did a test where they jammed 175 pounds of thermite against a steel beam, ignited it, and when it was done, it had done little to no damage to the steel.

The truthers claimed that it wasn't accurate because 9/11 must have used a "super thermite" which Nat Geo didn't have access to.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I watched one yesterday on Netflix by National Geographic where they did a test where they jammed 175 pounds of thermite against a steel beam, ignited it, and when it was done, it had done little to no damage to the steel.

The truthers claimed that it wasn't accurate because 9/11 must have used a "super thermite" which Nat Geo didn't have access to.

That's actually rather interesting. Did the National Geographic go through why that was the case? Thermite should definitely be able to get hot enough to seriously weaken the steel bean in theory.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Munin posted:

That's actually rather interesting. Did the National Geographic go through why that was the case? Thermite should definitely be able to get hot enough to seriously weaken the steel bean in theory.

Not magic steel beans

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If only they had planted them before building the WTC, then there would've been a steel stalk there to hold the buildings up.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I'm not sure if this counts as a conspiracy theory or just pseudoscience but the USGS had to issue a statement today that, contrary to rumor, Yellowstone is NOT being evacuated, roads in it ARE NOT being closed, and there's no sign of it erupting anywhere in the near future. Apparently an "alternative news site" has been fear mongering again.

link

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

platedlizard posted:

I'm not sure if this counts as a conspiracy theory or just pseudoscience but the USGS had to issue a statement today that, contrary to rumor, Yellowstone is NOT being evacuated, roads in it ARE NOT being closed, and there's no sign of it erupting anywhere in the near future. Apparently an "alternative news site" has been fear mongering again.

link

I was there a few weeks ago, and I was not bathed in hellfire. Though, at the time, there were multiple roads closed, unlike the one the USGS cites, which is just fuel for the loving nut jobs. While we were there, my wife's Facebook was blowing up with :tinfoil: THE ROADS ARE MELTING AND YELLOWSTONE IS OVERDUE FOR AN ERUPTION :tinfoil: bullshit from people who really ought to know better.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wonder what the overlap between those people and the ones who take pictures of the stickers on the back of road signs is.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Munin posted:

Not having seen the clip in question, I would assume because you need some apparatus to concentrate the heat of the thermite directly against the beam rather than allowing it to dissipate into the surrounding environment. Normally you would place thermite on top of an object and let gravity concentrate the heat for you, which is difficult with a vertical structural member. If all you're trying to debunk is 'thermite cut the beams' that would be sufficient. The more advanced claim is that the beams were partially demolished already and rigged for destruction via explosives/thermite but for some reason truthers tend to shy away from the theory that requires lots of really obvious demolition work. It's my estimation that they assume the destructive devices were planted in anonymous duffel bags Tom Clancy-style.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Davros1 posted:

Well, the thing with thermite is you need to either lay it on the metal so gravity drives it down or find a way to contain it so it works in the direction you want.
Kind of like getting an explosion to drive through armor. Just detonating some explosives isn't gonna do much, there's nothing to contain the blast in any spot so it just expands the easiest route. Place the explosives shaped by a containing cup of some sort and it will force the explosive pressure into the armor and through.

Nothing beats the old chicken wire/fencing, concrete slab and kerosene. That will always be the height of physics stupidity.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 10, 2014

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Munin posted:

The problem I believe is that there's no way to properly focus the thermite, it just burns and spreads downwards with gravity.

My brother is a truther and no amount of logic about the physics of how thermite works or how absurd an amount would need to have been covertly concealed in the building to bring it down will sway him.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The dumbest thing about 9/11 truthers is that there was literally a nova documentary like 2 months after the towers collapsed explaining exactly why they failed structurally after being hit by planes. It was an exact engineering breakdown with basically no politics showing that they fell how they should have after being hit by planes.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cnidaria posted:

The dumbest thing about 9/11 truthers is that there was literally a nova documentary like 2 months after the towers collapsed explaining exactly why they failed structurally after being hit by planes. It was an exact engineering breakdown with basically no politics showing that they fell how they should have after being hit by planes.

It's just part of big brother's conspiracy, man. I swear if one of my relatives were a 9/11 nut I'd start sending tinfoil hats in the mail once a month just to piss'em off.
I mean, my old man was into some stupid poo poo, but it never dropped down into JFK or 9/11 levels of insanity

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Hahaha, I was in a Facebook comment argument and someone linked Globalresearch.ca. When I called them on it, they linked a loving PressTV article as backup. For people who rail about government lies all the time, conspiracy theorists sure are willing to drink them up when it's a government saying a lie they want to be true.

Oh poo poo globalresearch isn't on the level? Because my dad just emailed me these:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/russia-tests-u-s-nuclear-defenses-to-prepare-for-war/5395157

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/07/30/pers-j30.html

Along with a comment "just sharing this fine article. Can you say Cuban missile crisis?"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

Well, the thing with thermite is you need to either lay it on the metal so gravity drives it down or find a way to contain it so it works in the direction you want.
Kind of like getting an explosion to drive through armor. Just detonating some explosives isn't gonna do much, there's nothing to contain the blast in any spot so it just expands the easiest route. Place the explosives shaped by a containing cup of some sort and it will force the explosive pressure into the armor and through.

Nothing beats the old chicken wire/fencing, concrete slab and kerosene. That will always be the height of physics stupidity.

You obviously haven't seen the YouTube with a fat guy karate chopping a stack of plastic file trays.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Execu-speak posted:

My brother is a truther and no amount of logic about the physics of how thermite works or how absurd an amount would need to have been covertly concealed in the building to bring it down will sway him.

It's like any conspiracy. You can't change their mind until they're ready, no evidence will ever suffice.

Like with JFK. Seems like Oswald was the only shooter and there was no action on the grassy knoll, but no way in hell will most people accept it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

Like with JFK. Seems like Oswald was the only shooter and there was no action on the grassy knoll, but no way in hell will most people accept it.

Even if they did it's also never Oswald acting on his own - he was being paid off/brainwashed/etc by the Soviets or the Cubans or the Mafia or something.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
And Weird Al comes through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

gradenko_2000 posted:

Even if they did it's also never Oswald acting on his own - he was being paid off/brainwashed/etc by the Soviets or the Cubans or the Mafia or something.

Clearly.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/november-22-1963,10584/

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Cnidaria posted:

Clearly you're very young because back in my day the Rand Corporation was much more open about their funding of Nova and This Old House and everyone knows that they're in league with the reverse vampires. "And Viewers Like You"? More like step up to the trough before we suck your blood/global warming.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It was posted a bit earlier but it's still equally amazing.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"The government is hiding Giant Faces on Mars! :histdowns:" - "Ancient Aliens", History (Channel)

Seriously, this is basically mainstream Info Wars.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

"The government is hiding Giant Faces on Mars! :histdowns:" - "Ancient Aliens", History (Channel)

Seriously, this is basically mainstream Info Wars.

There's certain conspiracy theories I kind of wish were true.

"The Face on Mars" is one of them. I know it's bullshit, I know it's the work of shadows, but how amazing would such a thing be if it were in fact remotely true?

Really a lot of space based conspiracy theories are pretty interesting. The lone exception? "DA MOON LANDING WAS FIXED!!!!!!!!!" Boring, and not even remotely interesting to give a read to.

e: Example? "Lost Cosmonauts"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cosmonauts

Cnidaria posted:

"Hey, uh you should try to read this popular mechanics special on why the towers fell. It was written with the help of engineers, architects, and..."

"YOU SHUT UP RIGHT NOW! THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION FUNDED THAT MAGAZINE, THUS IT'S A COVER UP!"

I've literally stumbled upon that reaction several times.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think by far the dumbest 9/11-related thing I heard was from a supervisor at a place where I was doing odd jobs. He said that he had watched a documentary that proved that Bush set up the strike on the World Trade Towers so he could get at some gold that was hidden under the base of one of the structures. As crappy a president Bush was, I refuse to believe that he was puppy-kickingly evil as to throw away hundreds of American lives just to make a grab at someone's gold. That's besides all the other ridiculous stuff (stealing is illegal, attacking the towers above ground to get at the base/foundation, storing gold underground like goblins from a fantasy novel, etc.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think by far the dumbest 9/11-related thing I heard was from a supervisor at a place where I was doing odd jobs. He said that he had watched a documentary that proved that Bush set up the strike on the World Trade Towers so he could get at some gold that was hidden under the base of one of the structures. As crappy a president Bush was, I refuse to believe that he was puppy-kickingly evil as to throw away hundreds of American lives just to make a grab at someone's gold. That's besides all the other ridiculous stuff (stealing is illegal, attacking the towers above ground to get at the base/foundation, storing gold underground like goblins from a fantasy novel, etc.)

Gold was stored under the WTC - at building 4, the low rise building that housed the New York Board of Trade (a set of commodities market trading floors and associated offices), Deutsche Bank (obivously, a major bank) and the main entrance to the WTC mall concourse. They weren't secret vaults though, just ones where you needed a good reason to be on that floor.

It wasn't very much gold though! And even after the twin towers and collapsed and WTC 7 caught fire and burned, 4 WTC was actually still standing pretty much ok. It was only 9 stories tall, and it was the southeast corner of the WTC site which put it about as far from any damage as you could get in the WTC complex. It was damaged beyond repair with a honking huge hole in the roof and going out a top floor after the twin towers collapsed and the occupants had been evacuated.

So yes, they did store gold at the WTC, but it was under the building that was intact and standing structurally sound after 9/11 happened. So if Bush really did want to rob the vaults, he hosed up his targeting big time. Interestingly, the replacement tower for 4 WTC? A whole loving 74 stories tall. Now that's an upgrade from 9 (and I assume part of ensuring that the replacement facilities all around can hold about the same amount of office and retail leasable space as on 9/10/01)!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, I think he was under the impression that it was just a hollowed-out pile o' coins, Smaug-style.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, I think he was under the impression that it was just a hollowed-out pile o' coins, Smaug-style.

Yeah that's at several buildings on and near Wall Street that together are holding gold reserves under the administration of the New York Federal Reserve Bank, with the actual owners being something like 60 countries including the US.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
If Bush was really after gold, why wouldn't he target Fort Knox and the base nearby instead? Surely that would be more worth the lives, effort, and cost than to take some piddly stashes from somewhere in New York with the most witnesses being the most populated city in the US

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It makes total sense to destroy a building and steal all of the very heavy gold out of the basement in the nick of time rather than a scheme that, you know, doesn't involve creating a massive catastrophe directly over your target. Bank robbers are well known for completely destroying the bank with explosives after they rob it, to remove evidence.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think a better question is why the goddamn president of the United States would need to orchestrate such a ridiculous and risky plot for what is basically a robbery, whose costs would greatly exceed the worth of the gold he was stealing. Wouldn't standard corruption, bribery, etc be much easier for someone with that amount of power to do?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

ponzicar posted:

I think a better question is why the goddamn president of the United States would need to orchestrate such a ridiculous and risky plot for what is basically a robbery, whose costs would greatly exceed the worth of the gold he was stealing. Wouldn't standard corruption, bribery, etc be much easier for someone with that amount of power to do?

Turns out people have serious trouble visualizing the amount of perfectly legal bribe money that goes through political coffers. A giant :smaug: is a lot simpler and isn't unknown in popular media.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It makes total sense to destroy a building and steal all of the very heavy gold out of the basement in the nick of time rather than a scheme that, you know, doesn't involve creating a massive catastrophe directly over your target. Bank robbers are well known for completely destroying the bank with explosives after they rob it, to remove evidence.

Not to mention the fact that carrying out the most spectacular terrorist attack in history would attract every single police officer in the city to the scene, which is exactly what you want when you're trying to pull off a heist.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

watho posted:

It was posted a bit earlier but it's still equally amazing.

Indeed it was, but a time to look at the latest top comments!

quote:

More proof Weird Al is a puppet for the ILLUMINATI he released 8 videos in 7 days the number 3 and 4 coupled together is a mystical number representing his ties to the Freemasons. This is why the letter "G" is the 7th letter of the alphabet and is displayed in the temple square of the ILLUMINATI - Weird Al is 54 years old, there's 5 points on a pentagram with 4 points reflecting downwards, that is his tribute to Lucifer and his followers. None of his videos are funny which is another tribute to the all seeing owl. The all seeing owl has an inverted hairline which shockingly resembles Weird Al's unusual resemblance of a woman. Uses of the number 6 pop up numerous times in this video, it is a signal of Weird Al transitioning from a born man to becoming a whore of the Devil. He wants to look like a woman to confuse the masses. Wake up world. And if you still don't believe me I have proof on my channel that Weird Al is a puppetless soul on the chessboard of the Kings of Seeds.

Actually, that's just clickbait. Nothing in the Top Comments I could find was really anything about the Illumnati being real. That somehow makes me feel good. :unsmith:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
The King of Seeds sound like an agricultural deity I wouldn't want to gently caress with :ohdear:

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

So if Bush really did want to rob the vaults, he hosed up his targeting big time.

Well, poo poo, that is his MO.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Not to mention the fact that carrying out the most spectacular terrorist attack in history would attract every single police officer in the city to the scene, which is exactly what you want when you're trying to pull off a heist.

It's like no one has seen Die Hard: With A Vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah that's at several buildings on and near Wall Street that together are holding gold reserves under the administration of the New York Federal Reserve Bank, with the actual owners being something like 60 countries including the US.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

How has no-one put THESE two and two together yet?

• Locked thread