Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

All the fuckery with going through screens and overworlds and such in Mario games each time you die is infuriating.

Learn from Rayman Origins/Legends, Nintendo. You have died- ZOOM back at level start. Hotline Miami also respawns you in a blink. I want that. Not 3D World's big red screen and TOK...TOK....TOK...TOK...Let's Go!

This seems really minor but Champion's Road :argh: and lives just add another extended loss screen so loving get rid of those since they don't do anything

Super Mario 3D World literally does exactly that. The red 3-second character select screen only happens when you first enter a level.

I do wish they would do away with the lives system like Rayman has, but I guess that doesn't feel Mario enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

I'm in full belief that the New series only exists to please people who want a classic Mario sidescroller. In a perfect world, Nintendo would make a sidescroller like SMB 3 with All-Star sprites, but we don't always get what we want, do we.

I think they can make a NSMB game that differentiates itself from the rest of the series without needing to go back to sprite animation, they just need to pull more stuff from SM3DW. Orchestrated music, being able to store an extra item SMW style, more visually distinct levels, etc. Make it feel like an upgrade that brings something new to the series. Maybe bring back honest-to-god flight items, none of this acorn/newschool tanooki gliding poo poo. (I know about the complaint with skipping whole levels by flying over them, but it wouldn't be an issue if they designed the levels around it. Treat it like the cat suit - an item that less-skilled players can use to get through the game easier.) Characters with the SMB2-style differences would be ok, but I'm also fine with them leaving that as a 3D series thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Super Mario 3D World literally does exactly that. The red 3-second character select screen only happens when you first enter a level.

I do wish they would do away with the lives system like Rayman has, but I guess that doesn't feel Mario enough.

I wish all games would get rid of the lives system, I don't understand why any game still does it. Cause I'm just gonna find ways to give myself infinite lives anyway. Tropical Freeze for instance shits out lives at you constantly to the point where it's weird there's lives in the game at all. Then 3D World has a level where they intentionally put a thing in there to get like 1000 lives and you never have to worry about 1-UPs again

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

What even happens in 3D World if you run out of lives? Game over, wipe the save file? I progressed through it much like I did in 3D Land, that is, made it to the last grip of levels with hundreds of lives.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

enojy posted:

What even happens in 3D World if you run out of lives? Game over, wipe the save file? I progressed through it much like I did in 3D Land, that is, made it to the last grip of levels with hundreds of lives.

You lose the checkpoint of the level you Game Overed on :v:

Seriously it saves after every level you beat (which is awesome. Every game please do this) so if you Game Over you'll just start back up at the level you were at, just at the beginning. The lives system is pointless!!!!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

enojy posted:

You just have to start the level all over and you get 5 lives per character.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Macaluso posted:

You lose the checkpoint of the level you Game Overed on :v:

Seriously it saves after every level you beat (which is awesome. Every game please do this) so if you Game Over you'll just start back up at the level you were at, just at the beginning. The lives system is pointless!!!!

Oh man... I get the whole argument against having lives in modern Mario games, now. That's not punishing in the least. It's more demeaning.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Those NSMBU videos make the game look pretty entertaining. I already have been playing a physical copy of 3D World I bought on a friend's Wii U but I intend to have NSMBU when I get that bundle for myself later this month.

I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the NSMB games (except the first one which I thought was kind of boring) though none of them have been really amazing. What I've never understood about that series is why they tried to focus on the feel of SMB 1 when SMW was a better game and really refined the feel of the 2d Mario experience.

3D World is absolutely amazing and is probably the first Mario game that I've enjoyed more than Super Mario World. Others have been really good but 3d World feels like something I could play many times and find something new, even if it's just something small like some background detail I didn't notice before. It has this really magical feeling to it, and is one of the biggest reasons I'm interested in the Wii U.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Lives are actually kinda relevant if you're playing co-op with someone who's really horseshit at games in general. I was playing NSMBU with :siren:my girlfriend:siren: who's never played a Mario game in her life, and she would run out of lives in virtually every stage. So she has to sit there, frustrated, while I finish the level solo as fast as I can. Then she gets another installment of lives for the next level.

It turns out that NSMBU is actually really quite difficult for someone who is very new to platforming.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

enojy posted:

Oh man... I get the whole argument against having lives in modern Mario games, now. That's not punishing in the least. It's more demeaning.

Which is why it owns you nerds.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I wish they'd use the NSMBU engine and give us Mario Megamix already. All the powerups and suits, levels copied from/based on the best levels from the rest of the series, and multiple playable characters (that actually play differently like SMB2 & 3D World).

Sure, it'd be more of the same, but the best parts of it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mario lives are just another score/points system really.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mario lives are just another score/points system really.

Super Meat boy tracks deaths without having a life system. SM3DW tracks deaths and lives. Death totals are one thing, life systems are stupid, redundant, archaic bullshit left over from arcade token days.

TVs Ian posted:

I wish they'd use the NSMBU engine and give us Mario Megamix already. All the powerups and suits, levels copied from/based on the best levels from the rest of the series, and multiple playable characters (that actually play differently like SMB2 & 3D World).

Sure, it'd be more of the same, but the best parts of it.

This would be amazing.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I think they're really still only there for nostalgia's sake, at this point. It's not like there being some number that counts down how many times you've died hurts anything.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ah nostalgia. Not really holding us back, but also holding us back.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Take out lives, add regenerating health.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
There's one reason lives still exist in Mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Tlv7h9I3Y

That sound.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
What I never get about these discussions is if lives are so unimportant then why care either way

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

What I never get about these discussions is if lives are so unimportant then why care either way
Its not like they have any other lives to care about.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

homeless snail posted:

Its not like they have any other lives to care about.

:iceburn:

Just have more than 1 life and don't suck at video games.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Yeah that's what I meant.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

Good point, the thing I see people upset by is the fanfare surrounding the deaths and reset. Seconds at a time add up, man. To minutes. Of my REAL life. Man.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

elf help book posted:

Those are the important parts though.

What about the story????

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

O__O posted:

What about the story????

David Cage had other projects going on.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Lives are actually kinda relevant if you're playing co-op with someone who's really horseshit at games in general. I was playing NSMBU with :siren:my girlfriend:siren: who's never played a Mario game in her life, and she would run out of lives in virtually every stage. So she has to sit there, frustrated, while I finish the level solo as fast as I can. Then she gets another installment of lives for the next level.

It turns out that NSMBU is actually really quite difficult for someone who is very new to platforming.
I think you share a pool of lives in 3D World so maybe co-op in that instead (and maybe start with farming lives for a few minutes).

I found that the lives do have a minor impact in multi cause if you're killing each other enough (need that crown dammit) the lives can run down quick, when the lives get low it's like a subtle reminder to actually work together at some point. Particularly for Plessie levels where your nephew is much too amused with sabotaging the group :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

japtor posted:

I think you share a pool of lives in 3D World so maybe co-op in that instead (and maybe start with farming lives for a few minutes).

I found that the lives do have a minor impact in multi cause if you're killing each other enough (need that crown dammit) the lives can run down quick, when the lives get low it's like a subtle reminder to actually work together at some point. Particularly for Plessie levels where your nephew is much too amused with sabotaging the group :argh:

Yeah, multiplayer is the only time I think the lives mechanics gets weight again. You're all dicking around in the level with the platforms that flip when you jump and suddenly Johnny Jerkface isn't back, now it's up to the other three, oops, just two people standing, all the eyes on hte last character alive that has to beat the rest of the level or be a chump.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mercury Crusader posted:

David Cage had other projects going on.

David Cage's Mario was alright, up until Peach's awkward shower scene and the part where even getting hit by the Goombas didn't kill you because game overs are a failure of the developer.

I did like the noble, homeless Koopa Troopa that explained Mario's mystical fire powers, though.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

O__O posted:

What about the story????

No, but you see, back in MIYAMOTO'S DAY you didn't NEED any gol-durn story! There was just a princess and some big monster and by gosh you needed to kill it! None-a this "interesting backstory" stuff you see in today's video games!

As a reminder, Miyamoto literally told them to ignore the story in Super Mario Galaxy 2 because he wanted it to be like old Mario games. That still bothers me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Real talk, why doesn't Bowser ever die despite falling into lava at the end of every game

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
He gets melted pretty brutally and turned into a :krad: skeleton in New Super Mario Bros. Bowser Jr. revives him as Dry Bowser before he gets revived fully by Kamek at the end.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Probe 17 posted:

No, but you see, back in MIYAMOTO'S DAY you didn't NEED any gol-durn story! There was just a princess and some big monster and by gosh you needed to kill it! None-a this "interesting backstory" stuff you see in today's video games!

As a reminder, Miyamoto literally told them to ignore the story in Super Mario Galaxy 2 because he wanted it to be like old Mario games. That still bothers me.

He's right.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Probe 17 posted:

I want a good game before a story.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Probe 17 posted:

Here's a story:

Suck my dick you loving nerd.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

SM64Guy posted:

I want a good game before a story.

Yes, but Super Mario Galaxy 1 was a great game, which also had a great story. Also, you can't look me in the eye and tell me that purple gently caress was better than Rosalina.

I mean, I don't care, it's a wonderful game either way, but that still kinda rubs me the wrong way is all.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Getting a game over on Champion's Road was an unsubtle suggestion to go outside for a bit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Probe 17 posted:

Yes, but Super Mario Galaxy 1 was a great game, which also had a great story. Also, you can't look me in the eye and tell me that purple gently caress was better than Rosalina.

I mean, I don't care, it's a wonderful game either way, but that still kinda rubs me the wrong way is all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcLlL6hRQ74

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Probe 17 posted:

Super Mario Galaxy's story was literally "The Princess was kidnapped by Bowser... in space" and some minor backstory about Rosalina.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Oh Jesus, I forgot about that.

Consider my complaint rescinded everyone, sorry about wasting your time.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 loving owned and this nerd is crying over the lack of story in a children's video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm on my rooftop and I'm screaming as loud as I can.

Miyamoto is right!

• Locked thread