Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I started because I was the artist of the 4th grade class at my elementary school and everyone bugged me incessantly all the time to draw their favorite character for them, so I eventually sat down for Toonami one afternoon to figure out who the hell all these weird characters were that I was drawing for everyone all the time. I got hooked pretty much immediately.

Interesting tidbit: Piccolo was by far the most requested character, with Vegeta coming in second. Goku was a rarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Goku was the dude who everone wanted to be but no one really talked about. As the main character, liking him was being Boring and Generic, because of course you like him he's Goku.

I always liked Tien myself, though nowadays I'd say Piccolo and Vegeta are my favorites

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Goku was the dude who everone wanted to be but no one really talked about. As the main character, liking him was being Boring and Generic, because of course you like him he's Goku.

I always liked Tien myself, though nowadays I'd say Piccolo and Vegeta are my favorites

Tien and Piccolo had cool and diverse techniques. Growing extra arms, multi-form, solar flare, telekinesis, and spontaneous creation of matter!

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I totally dig the Ocean dub Zarbon went full on Australian, it's kinda sad TFS never touched on that and went with Zarbon always being a flamboyant :sparkles:. Cell's Ocean Voice is jarring as it's quite monotone at times which I guess goes with the perfect organic killing machine type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3K8kn--v-M

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SirDrone posted:

I totally dig the Ocean dub Zarbon went full on Australian, it's kinda sad TFS never touched on that and went with Zarbon always being a flamboyant :sparkles:. Cell's Ocean Voice is jarring as it's quite monotone at times which I guess goes with the perfect organic killing machine type.

In the UK they switched between dubs whenever they jumped back or moved on to new content so we saw both and I'm completely headfucked because I remember both voices (and soundtracks) simultaneously and I can't really parse them from memory.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SirDrone posted:

He's surprisingly menacing sounding.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's crazy how different the atmosphere is when the presentation is so different.

So wait, if Zarbon's Australian, what's Jeice's gimmick?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HGH posted:

It's crazy how different the atmosphere is when the presentation is so different.

Space Australian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjtwiDm6K2I

Kild fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 10, 2014

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

SirDrone posted:

Watching this feels extra nostalgic; I always have a soft spot for the Ocean dub. Growing up I definitely preferred it to the Funi dub, especially for Vegeta's voice. I also liked the background music more than the weird synth rock stuff Funi added.

As far as when I first started watching DBZ, I remember seeing dragonball as a young kid, and then in middle school catching the first episodes of dbz on either fox or some other station. I was like, "Oh that little kid grew up and had a son?" and just kept watching and enjoying it. Later, once my family got cable I saw dbz on toonami and watched up to the cell saga. I never watched the buu saga since it came out when I was older and stopped watching toonami as much.

I still fondly remember recording dbz episodes and pausing it at cool moments so I could try to draw them. And talking about dbz with kids at school, showing off drawings, talking about who'd beat who in a fight. We all loved Piccolo or Vegeta (I've always been a Piccolo fan).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So whereabouts would the movies fit on a timeline? Someone bought up them probably just being alternative universes where stuff went differently but even then I'm not sure where they would fall and how the events would come to pass.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Testekill posted:

So whereabouts would the movies fit on a timeline? Someone bought up them probably just being alternative universes where stuff went differently but even then I'm not sure where they would fall and how the events would come to pass.

Dead Zone is at the very beginning because Gohan is still a little kid with no training and Goku and Piccolo are still enemies.
World's Strongest and Tree of Might are very nebulous, I think they're meant to be scenarios where Goku wasn't killed by Piccolo during the Raditz fight but they're still waiting for Vegeta and Nappa.
Lord Slug is after Vegeta but before Namek, which couldn't have happened because Goku was laid up until Gohan and the others were on Namek already.
Cooler's Revenge is directly after Namek, but Goku doesn't seem to have control of his SSJ transformation yet, which he learned while in space, so I guess it's a version where he got teleported back to Earth and left Frieza for dead? Also Gohan has a tail for some reason.
Return of Cooler is set some point after that. Dende is apparently the guardian already so Piccolo fused with Kami, but Vegeta hasn't learned ASSJ and Trunks isn't there, so....??????
Super Android 13 is I guess like a day later because Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks are all there and SSJ but Gohan isn't. This stretch of movies is really just where Toei said "gently caress IT" in terms of trying to justify timeline placement.
Legendary Super Saiyan is during the 10 day rest before the Cell Games, which seems like kind of a big ordeal to happen in such a small window before another huge battle but whatever.
Bojack Unbound is like the only one that completely fits. Few weeks/months after the Cell Games, Goku's dead, Trunks is still palling around, Vegeta's semi-retired from fighting, Mr. Satan is the hottest poo poo in the world, no real contradictions here.
Broly Second Coming I believe is meant to happen while Gohan and the others are training for the World Martial Arts Tournament, but Vegeta doesn't bother showing up for some reason.
Bio-Broly I guess is meant to be a Goten/Trunks/18/Krillin side story while Goku and the others are in Babidi's ship.
Fusion Reborn is all kinds of impossible but it's great so everyone just sort of ignores that part. Goku and Vegeta are both dead but the only time that happens is while Earth is being ravaged by Buu and Goku's hanging out with Gohan and the Kais before reviving.
Wrath of the Dragon is after Kid Buu's defeat.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 10, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Testekill posted:

He's surprisingly menacing sounding.

The voice of Ocean Zabon was Paul Dobson. He's one of Ocean's greatest stars and a truly underrated giant in anime dubbing. He deserves all the fan appeal Freeman or Yong-Bosch or Blum or any of them get.

Of course I'll always associate him with Naraku. He had the best villain voice.

Testekill posted:

Tree of Might in my opinion takes place in an AU where everyone dies against Vegeta and Nappa so the gang goes to namek like planned. The difference is there's no Freeza so they revive everyone just as they originally wanted to do and head back home. This accounts for increased power levels and the fact Yamcha has King Kai's symbol on his gi in the movie.

Movie 8 seems to be an AU after Vegeta and Trunks enter the Hyperbolic Time Chamber/Room of Spirit and Time. (see: long-haired Trunks) However Goku and Gohan aren't always Super Saiyans so I can only assume the movie takes place in an AU where Super Vegeta kills Cell or maybe the group decides to have a picnic after Vegeta and Trunks get out of the room instead of Goku and Gohan going in immediately.

The rest, I got nothing.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Since Zarbon's Australian voice has come up, is there a reason why Funimation (maybe anime dubs in general, DBZ was the only I watched besides Gundam Wing, which I don't recall doing what I'm about to explain) resorts to whacky accents for some of their characters? Zarbon and Jeice had Australian accents out of nowhere (Jeice's being amazingly annoyingly), and that Sauza/Salza henchman of Cooler had a really bad French accent. Did Japan do this as well, was Funimation just trying to be quirky, or what? I always hated those accents.

e: oh yeah and 13 had the southern accent, but at least that made sense with his character design.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The only reason I can think of this is the generic Texan/Hic accent, which pops up whenever someone in the Japanese version speaks with a...Kansai dialect I think? In which case, there's probably regional accents/dialects that simply don't translate well, or maybe even the way a character talks.

Alternatively they're having fun with wacky voices and international representation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It seems to me that quite a few dubs back in the day added accents. I think part of why Funimation did it was because half of their DBZ voice cast was Christopher Sabat so he had to mix it up the best he could. However in the much more diverse Yu Yu Hakusho dub we still had Jin and Chu with their crazy accents out of nowhere. To this day nobody seems to know what the hell Jin is saying but people like it that way because YYH's dub had more character than the original series. (or so I've been told)

But in this day and age it's gotten to the point that inserting an accent is pretty much looked down on by everyone. A modern dub that gives a prominent character an accent "for no reason" is bound to be scorned absolutely by a lot of people online.

However DBZ gave us Dub Killa who was amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HGH posted:

There's some source which says Jeice and Zarbon were cousins. I also recall Jeice's character profile from one of the games (fairly sure it was whichever one had the story mode change and play out movie plots or alternate universes on every replay) commenting on his "sexy Euro features". Just thought I'd mention it.

Actually, one other thing I remember about Jeice was him describing Goku as "the strongest bloody Saiyan we've ever seen". You don't get much more Australian than that.

As for how I got into DBZ, I remember it starting around the same time we got Sky Digital. I can't remember how it jumped around channels - it started on the main Cartoon Network, then jumped to the short-lived CNX channel, which was anime, adult animation, East Asian martial arts films in the evenings, and other miscellaneous stuff (has anyone ever heard of this French cartoon called Chris Colorado? Because it's the only one I can really remember), then over to Toonami when it started (I'm not sure what stage this would have been at in the series). I honestly don't remember the series looping around after the Ginyu fight.

One really striking thing I remember was when the Cell Game sub-saga started, Toonami ran this ad which had "DBZ" stylised in jagged white letters with a red underline like the WWF logo. I thought that was pretty cool.

DBZ was, of course, the first anime I was into. Pokémon might have been first, but it was so ubiquitous that, at the time, I didn't really think of it as a "real" anime as much as a permutation of this vast franchise where the trading cards and video games were where the real action was. It was a lot like the toy-driven 1980s cartoons that I remember Cartoon Network re-running a lot in the 1990s (and Digimon was kind of the same), whereas DBZ was this kind of distinct entity as far as design and content were concerned. The thing is, I was about 10 and a bit of a prat.

I got into some of the anime the other channels snapped up to try and replicate DBZ's success, but a lot of them were questionable choices (Fox Kids had Sailor Moon and Nickelodeon had Cardcaptor Sakura, and they both tried to market them as shonen action adventures; Fox Kids also had Vision of Escaflowne, which I do recall enjoying a lot but have no idea how I'd respond if I saw it again today 10+ years later). There was one called Shinzo as well, which I thought was a bit naff.

My favourite anime series from that late-1990s era, which I got into well after the fact, is Slayers.

Edit: Good grief, this turned into a long post.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 10, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

But in this day and age it's gotten to the point that inserting an accent is pretty much looked down on by everyone. A modern dub that gives a prominent character an accent "for no reason" is bound to be scorned absolutely by a lot of people online.

This is one of the things I dislike about anime dubbing currently. Sure if you got a serious show you don't want accents unless they're appropriate, but if it's some silly action show they should go hog wild with the voices. Chu in YYH being randomly Australian, and the non-understandable Irish demon are two of the most memorable parts of the show for me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Loaf posted:

Fox Kids also had Vision of Escaflowne, which I do recall enjoying a lot but have no idea how I'd respond if I saw it again today 10+ years later).

I remember that show, like all Fox anime it was edited to hell and back and had all the music replaced, but they had at least enough sense to license the best song in the OST. The original show is, naturally, a lot better, with some fantastic animation.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 10, 2014

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Metal Loaf posted:

There's some source which says Jeice and Zarbon were cousins. I also recall Jeice's character profile from one of the games (fairly sure it was whichever one had the story mode change and play out movie plots or alternate universes on every replay) commenting on his "sexy Euro features". Just thought I'd mention it.

Actually, one other thing I remember about Jeice was him describing Goku as "the strongest bloody Saiyan we've ever seen". You don't get much more Australian than that.

As for how I got into DBZ, I remember it starting around the same time we got Sky Digital. I can't remember how it jumped around channels - it started on the main Cartoon Network, then jumped to the short-lived CNX channel, which was anime, adult animation, East Asian martial arts films in the evenings, and other miscellaneous stuff (has anyone ever heard of this French cartoon called Chris Colorado? Because it's the only one I can really remember), then over to Toonami when it started (I'm not sure what stage this would have been at in the series). I honestly don't remember the series looping around after the Ginyu fight.

One really striking thing I remember was when the Cell Game sub-saga started, Toonami ran this ad which had "DBZ" stylised in jagged white letters with a red underline like the WWF logo. I thought that was pretty cool.

DBZ was, of course, the first anime I was into. Pokémon might have been first, but it was so ubiquitous that, at the time, I didn't really think of it as a "real" anime as much as a permutation of this vast franchise where the trading cards and video games were where the real action was. It was a lot like the toy-driven 1980s cartoons that I remember Cartoon Network re-running a lot in the 1990s (and Digimon was kind of the same), whereas DBZ was this kind of distinct entity as far as design and content were concerned. The thing is, I was about 10 and a bit of a prat.

I got into some of the anime the other channels snapped up to try and replicate DBZ's success, but a lot of them were questionable choices (Fox Kids had Sailor Moon and Nickelodeon had Cardcaptor Sakura, and they both tried to market them as shonen action adventures; Fox Kids also had Vision of Escaflowne, which I do recall enjoying a lot but have no idea how I'd respond if I saw it again today 10+ years later). There was one called Shinzo as well, which I thought was a bit naff.

My favourite anime series from that late-1990s era, which I got into well after the fact, is Slayers.

Edit: Good grief, this turned into a long post.

Yeah I'm mostly the same, though I got into DBZ on the ground floor I remember seeing the trailers and waiting for the premier. I liked Digimon a lot when the first series was running, I was young then, Fox Kids also had Medibots, which I also recall liking. Toonami over here had less shows than in the US. I remember Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing being there other major anime they showed in the prime afternoon time, and you might occasionally catch some cowboy bebop or outlaw star late at night.

CNX didn't come out until a bit into DBZs life I think. I know we repeated the series a few times though I think the breaks were different. I remember one such stopping point was when Goku started fighting Freeza. The big thing about DBZ I recall was that a new episode was on every weekday at 5pm, so we got 2 and a half hours of new DBZ a week! I was around 11 or 12 and had just started high school and I met a whole lot of my best friends in high school through mutual love of DBZ. Three or four of us would spend our entire registration period discussing the latest developments of Goku and pals, arguing over power levels and one of us (often me, since only two of us owned a computer) dispensing hard researched, half understood arcane spoilers for the future gleaned from Planet Namek. My best friend and I got split up in Geography because we spent half of one period pretending to have a beam-duel. :downs:

The big thing I remember is we were always behind America when it came to episodes, and then one glorious day, we kept getting episodes after fat buu was released, and for once we were on top! It seemed such a big deal at the time.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

HGH posted:

In the Ocean Dub, Jeice was voice by Scott McNeil and he had a 'Brummie,' accent. That means he sounded like someone from Birmingham, UK (not Alabama) or possibly someone from Wolverhampton. I remember it distinctly because I was bemused by why a Canadian voice actor was using that accent. If you want a reference for that particular British accent, Ozzy Osbourne has it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah I'm mostly the same, though I got into DBZ on the ground floor I remember seeing the trailers and waiting for the premier. I liked Digimon a lot when the first series was running, I was young then, Fox Kids also had Medibots, which I also recall liking. Toonami over here had less shows than in the US. I remember Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing being there other major anime they showed in the prime afternoon time, and you might occasionally catch some cowboy bebop or outlaw star late at night.

Oh, yeah, the Tenchi franchise. I wasn't really into any of that. There's probably a whole ton that were on that I never saw or don't remember. DBZ was the only one I was really into and made a point of watching, to be honest.

I distinctly remember DBZ getting a ton of advertising which, like the original opening, mostly used footage from the movies. It looked pretty different from anything else I'd seen before and I wasn't sure what to expect, so I thought I'd give it a try, and tuned in for the first episode. "Rock the Dragon" comes on. Nine-year old mind blown.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I remember that show, like all Fox anime it was edited to hell and back and had all the music replaced, but they had at least enough sense to license the best song in the OST. The original show is, naturally, a lot better, with some fantastic animation.

That doesn't look half bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Genocyber posted:

This is one of the things I dislike about anime dubbing currently. Sure if you got a serious show you don't want accents unless they're appropriate, but if it's some silly action show they should go hog wild with the voices. Chu in YYH being randomly Australian, and the non-understandable Irish demon are two of the most memorable parts of the show for me.

I agree, especially since Chu was already a pretty silly character to begin with. (BLUE MOHAWKS!) Why not give him a silly accent too?

Prison Warden posted:

I remember Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing being there other major anime they showed in the prime afternoon time, and you might occasionally catch some cowboy bebop or outlaw star late at night.

I wonder if TM is one of those shows Toonami ran because they were paid to. It just doesn't seem to fit with what Toonami was going for. It wasn't even the OVAs was it? It was one of the even more RomCom spinoffs like Tenchi in Love or Tenchi in Tokyo right?

Tenchi is....man, the guy made it is insane. He designed this elaborate sci-fi universe with things like Light Hawk Wings and the backstory for the first villain being a hermaphrodite and different dimensional overlords and yet he squanders all of it on a lovely, completely unfunny harem show. Tenchi is emblematic of why I despise harem enemies - the main "hero" is never likable or relatable. The fact he turned out to be God just soured me on him even more.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if TM is one of those shows Toonami ran because they were paid to. It just doesn't seem to fit with what Toonami was going for. It wasn't even the OVAs was it? It was one of the even more RomCom spinoffs like Tenchi in Love or Tenchi in Tokyo right?

They actually ran the OVAs, then Universe, and then Tenchi in Tokyo.

E: poo poo, my first non-broadcast anime was Tenchi in Love (which was about his dead mom being a bigger badass than he'll ever be).

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 10, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, like I mentioned, after Cartoon Network had this roaring success with DBZ, Fox Kids and Nickelodeon played follow the leader with Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, which are both shojo (?) series, but were advertised as though they were action series like DBZ.

I'm not sure what else they could have used to compete with DBZ in that era. YuYu Hakusho is probably closest, and I think its target audience might skew a tiny bit older than DBZ, maybe?

Fox Kids had Shaman King as well, except as I recall it never had a regular schedule.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rudoku posted:

They actually ran the OVAs, then Universe, and then Tenchi in Tokyo.

E: poo poo, my first non-broadcast anime was Tenchi in Love (which was about his dead mom being a bigger badass than he'll ever be).

Hm, maybe I need to check it (Tenchi in Love) out sometime. And I totally forgot about Tenchi Universe.

I guess it's the motto of every disgruntled nerd but "I don't understand the appeal" perfectly sums up Tenchi Muyo for me. Why the hell did it get so many spinoffs?

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, like I mentioned, after Cartoon Network had this roaring success with DBZ, Fox Kids and Nickelodeon played follow the leader with Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, which are both shojo (?) series, but were advertised as though they were action series like DBZ.

I'm not sure what else they could have used to compete with DBZ in that era. YuYu Hakusho is probably closest, and I think its target audience might skew a tiny bit older than DBZ, maybe?

Fox Kids had Shaman King as well, except as I recall it never had a regular schedule.

Sakura and Sailor Moon are definitely shojo. Also SM at least is the most successful shojo in the West I'm pretty sure. As for why I have no idea. Timing probably. Others like FushigI Yuugi seems to have been pretty big overseas (most people I see talking about it on YT are from Spain, the Philippines and so-on) and of course in Japan but I don't think Watase ever took off here as much as she did in her home country or abroad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

Hm, maybe I need to check it (Tenchi in Love) out sometime. And I totally forgot about Tenchi Universe.

I guess it's the motto of every disgruntled nerd but "I don't understand the appeal" perfectly sums up Tenchi Muyo for me. Why the hell did it get so many spinoffs?

It's weird to me how I remember virtually every show Toonami has ever shown, except for Tenchi. It's just this big blind spot in my childhood memories.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's probably for the best you don't remember anything about Tenchi Muyo.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

It's pretty easy to understand Tenchi Muyo's popularity. It's about this outwardly boring normal person who on the inside is super special, lives in giant financially secure house surrounded by attractive foreign women whom all want his dick, his home life while punctuated by sci-fi action and adventure (where he lets out his special side) is relatively stable. The whole thing is pretty much the perfect nerd fantasy.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 10, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

It's weird to me how I remember virtually every show Toonami has ever shown, except for Tenchi. It's just this big blind spot in my childhood memories.

Same here. Tenchi is something I was only vaguely aware of. I remember trying to watch it and not really getting it; whichever one I saw, I remember thinking it must have been ripping off Star Wars or something because the main character had a laser sword, his mentor was essentially Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the bad guy bragged about how he'd be waiting for them in the finale on the throne of whatever the villain empire was called (I had a pretty narrow frame of refernece then). Never got into it at all, though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I liked Tenchi Muyo, actually. Universe was alright, but Tenchi in Tokyo was really bad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I liked Tenchi before I knew harem anime was actually a thing. I still can't understand how that's an entire genre, but I don't think I ever want to see that show again.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I manage to watch both, and In Universe was slightly better.

Tenchi in Tokyo was utter crap though. Yeesh.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Ranma 1/2 was my first foreigner cartoon so by the time Tenchi Muyo came along I recognized it for the derivative garage it was. That harem poo poo was everywhere in the late 90s.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I suppose very technically my first anime were Pokemon and DBZ. However I don't count them as such because they wee both heavily Americanized and almost turned into whole new shows. It almost be like counting Robotech as your first anime. (Fans of Robotech certainly don't seem to think of it in that way) To me, Pokemon and DBZ wee just cartoons like any other and little me didn't give them any thought.

So I don't consider myself an anime fan until Adult Swim came along. There the anime were more...genuine and I begun to recognize the distinctly foreign style.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aside from minor(in the grand scheme of things) edits, they were still the same show.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I really hope there's a steelbook release of Battle of Gods and whatever the next one is so that my DBZ movie collection will look right...

That or they just release Dragon Box The Movies in america. That would work too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Aside from minor(in the grand scheme of things) edits, they were still the same show.

Ehhh, I watched Kai kinda recently and people weren't kidding then whey said Faulconer's score alone really shifted the overall mood of the show. It's great music mind you but it just gives you an entirely different feeling.

And while the overall plot remains the same, I can show you a lot of DBZ fans who feel the Funi dub's representation of the characters have little in common with their actual characters. Goku tends to get it the worst with them hating his "heroic speeches." And God knows I couldn't take Freeza seriously with Linda Young voicing him. She's a great voice-actress, it's simply a case of being miscast because all the Funi voices from that time were brought in to "copy" Ocean voices.

I hope this doesn't come off like I'm a dub hater as I am anything but. However, in my humble opinion, the DBZ we got, with its replaced soundtrack and a script with only tangential resemblance to the original, provided a very different feel for the show compared to an anime that is less altered.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmhbMDFSveQ

Man I remember that Monster Truck Guy doing Ginyu and the Narrator. I don't know if I'm happy or sad he was replaced by a better voice-actor in Brice Armstrong. (same guy did the Narrator for Dragon Ball. He's great)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 11, 2014

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

NikkolasKing posted:

And while the overall plot remains the same, I can show you a lot of DBZ fans who feel the Funi dub's representation of the characters have little in common with their actual characters. Goku tends to get it the worst with them hating his "heroic speeches." And God knows I couldn't take Freeza seriously with Linda Young voicing him. She's a great voice-actress, it's simply a case of being miscast because all the Funi voices from that time were brought in to "copy" Ocean voices.

As much as I'm generally pro-Funimation for just about everything they do (with the licenses I care about anyway) I've never liked Linda Young as the voice of Frieza, and it took all of about 5 seconds for Chris Ayres to click for me in that role. I either preferred or was neutral toward all the cast changes they made a few years back but to me the biggest improvements were Frieza, Jeice, and 18.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I agree with all of that except Eighteen. I love Colleen Clinkenbeard but she just used a really generic voice for her and I didn't like it. She has this great "strong badass woman" voice she uses for other characters like Erza but her 18 just sounded so...plain. Meredith McCoy, the original Funi 18, had a great dry wit to her character as she always sounded bored with the world to contrast with what an over-excited child 17 was. Plus she just naturally sounded tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

WhiffleballDude posted:

As much as I'm generally pro-Funimation for just about everything they do (with the licenses I care about anyway) I've never liked Linda Young as the voice of Frieza, and it took all of about 5 seconds for Chris Ayres to click for me in that role. I either preferred or was neutral toward all the cast changes they made a few years back but to me the biggest improvements were Frieza, Jeice, and 18.

Chris Ayers Freeza is really the best Freeza.

• Locked thread