Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There is one upside to snipers: When GOKU doing a lancer farm, the enemy snipers give medics like me something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

zeal posted:

Okay. What's the ideal mid-range upgrade from the Orion for a Heavy Assault, then?

LSW or Polaris. The VS LMGs are more sidegrades than anything depending on how you feel like playing.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

zeal posted:

Okay. What's the ideal mid-range upgrade from the Orion for a Heavy Assault, then?

Flare is cheap and a decent 167 gun but every LMG can hit a target at range with practice--AC regularly engages dudes at 200m with the orion. The key is burst fire and getting used to the recoil and adjusting for it.

Realistically you dont want to be shooting at targets beyond 150m, equip an IRNV and its drop off is the best range. You can shoot at targets beyond that range but its pure luck on whether or not you kill them. I regularly kill dudes at 200m+ with my polaris but thats because their being idiots and standing still.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

pakman posted:

LSW or Polaris. The VS LMGs are more sidegrades than anything depending on how you feel like playing.

Is there any particular reason I should avoid the Eidolon? I don't play that often, having the credits to buy any new guns is a rare experience for my mediocre pubbie rear end.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Eidolon has kinda crappy DPS but I love it. Plus you can get hilarious CQB kills with it if you spam and aim for the head. It's just that you're better served with an LMG most of the time. Good options are the Flare (high damage but it kinda rattles), the SVA-88 (The Orion with less raw DPS but better attachment options and a larger magazine), and the Polaris (very versatile and has a very high uptime, but low lethality compared to other LMGs)

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 10, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Flare was my second choice, guess I'll go for it. Thanks all.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Heaven Spacey posted:

The Eidolon has kinda crappy DPS but I love it. Plus you can get hilarious CQB kills with it if you spam and aim for the head. It's just that you're better served with an LMG most of the time. Good options are the Flare (high damage but it kinda rattles), the SVA-88 (The Orion with less raw DPS but better attachment options and a larger magazine), and the Polaris (very versatile and has a very high uptime, but low lethality compared to other LMGs)
I can't even use LMGs anymore. Battle Rifles or SMGs all the way for HA. Just pretend the Eidolon is a giant pistol.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

zeal posted:

The Flare was my second choice, guess I'll go for it. Thanks all.

In both instances make sure to trial them in VR, and then give them a live trial (be alive, go to the depot, click to buy a thing then at the bottom click to trial, you can only do this once a day, every 30 days for the same item, it's bone stock and you only get 30 min so do it when you expect to use it). It might not give you the best idea of how good they can be once kitted out/learned to handle, but it will tell you if you immediately hate a thing.

I say it because I like the Flare but am meh on the Eidolon, but both are somewhat polarizing to people.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, someone auraxed the Spiker. Masochism is real! REAL!

http://www.np.reddit.com/r/Briggs/comments/2d252f/spiker_auraxium_it_wasnt_worth_it/

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 10, 2014

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
Hi. I used to play this game a bit and I had the most fun as a Light Assault with a shotgun using slug ammo. Sniping people from trees and dropping C4 on stuff makes me happy. I recently re-installed and it seems like my slug shotgun is really inaccurate? Is there any way to re-capture the experience or is it gone forever?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
If you want to snipe from trees grab an AC-X11. If you aren't NC you should reroll NC and grab an AC-X11.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Westy543 posted:

Kind of like flying aircraft

At least air can sometimes kill sunderers. Sniping is literally killing one dude at a time while a medic revives them faster.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

magic mountain posted:

If you want to snipe from trees grab an AC-X11. If you aren't NC you should reroll NC and grab an AC-X11.

The Pulsar C is just as, if not more effective.

gently caress the TR though. :smuggo:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

A Tartan Tory posted:

If you're TR ditch the jump jets and grab a TORQ :v:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

magic mountain posted:

If you're TR ditch the jump jets and grab a TORQ :v:

If you're TR punch yourself in the dick until you realize that you are a bad person.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
The Polaris and Flare are both cheap upgrades to the Orion, which I find is only good at hip-firing at point blank range so I upgraded as soon as I could. Like most LMG they take a little getting used to but I regularly counter-snipe with the Polaris. Save up for the Ursa or NS-15 which both have very little recoil so you can just walk into a room and swing them back and forth at head level and hope a medic is kind enough to toss in a revive grenade so you can kill everybody again.

Don't think I've ever seen a Heavy use a battle rifle but I do like the Eidolon on my Engineer, plop down a turret to hide behind, toss down an ammo kit and start picking off snipers out to render distance. It doesn't hit too hard so do a body shot or two to start and they will think it's just random small fire and probably not even bother to move then pop two to their head for the kill and wait for the angry tell.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Sniping has its place but we dissuade newbies from doing it because it takes some experience to know when and how to do it effectively. Play with the no sway bolt actions (Ghost, TSAR, SAS-R) if you want to try it.

Arghy posted:

AC regularly engages dudes at 200m with the orion.

:arghysay: :allears:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

The Pulsar C is a pea shooter that is a bit more accurate. As someone who uses both guns as my LA's primary, I cannot emphasize enough how much more fun the X11 is overall and how utterly it demolishes anyone you get above and land some headshots on

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Epic High Five posted:

The Pulsar C is a pea shooter that is a bit more accurate. As someone who uses both guns as my LA's primary, I cannot emphasize enough how much more fun the X11 is overall and how utterly it demolishes anyone you get above and land some headshots on

"A bit more accurate" he says, it's only the most accurate gun in the game and that's including NS weapons.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Klowns posted:

The Polaris and Flare are both cheap upgrades to the Orion, which I find is only good at hip-firing at point blank range so I upgraded as soon as I could. Like most LMG they take a little getting used to but I regularly counter-snipe with the Polaris. Save up for the Ursa or NS-15 which both have very little recoil so you can just walk into a room and swing them back and forth at head level and hope a medic is kind enough to toss in a revive grenade so you can kill everybody again.

Don't think I've ever seen a Heavy use a battle rifle but I do like the Eidolon on my Engineer, plop down a turret to hide behind, toss down an ammo kit and start picking off snipers out to render distance. It doesn't hit too hard so do a body shot or two to start and they will think it's just random small fire and probably not even bother to move then pop two to their head for the kill and wait for the angry tell.

*LSW

The polaris costs 1000 certs the flare 250.

wei posted:

Sniping has its place but we dissuade newbies from doing it because it takes some experience to know when and how to do it effectively. Play with the no sway bolt actions (Ghost, TSAR, SAS-R) if you want to try it.

:arghysay: :allears:
You think thats silly but they have loving videos, the guy casually loving headshots a dude at 230m with a goddamn orion and you can tell the way he shoots is all reflex from using the same gun for so long.

AAAAAAA holy poo poo love ya browser history this is the video http://www.twitch.tv/mkeyckor/b/536144020?t=3h50m50s sinsterlordofmatherson is in there also. *This is the one where he totally tracks a dude through a wall, it could just be a good prediction or something else.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

"A bit more accurate" he says, it's only the most accurate gun in the game and that's including NS weapons.

The Pulsar sustains bursts better, but the X11 doesn't need to. The X11 starting out with a perfect 0-deviation means it's putting more shots on target than the Pulsar for at least the first 4-5 shots, and it's another 3-4 before the Pulsar really takes a substantial lead.

Oh, and those shots hit like glorious freedom bricks from hell :911:

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Arghy posted:

*LSW

They are both 250 cert guns. Only the Ursa and NS-15 costs 1000 certs, but just get the Nanite package when it goes on sale again and you get all the Nanite System guns for $30.

E:

V V

Yeah, when I started kitting out my Heavy I was playing around in VR with all the LMG, everybody had told me the SVA-88 was great and I should get it but I noticed the prices and figured I'd get the Polaris and Flare for the same price and it'd keep me busy for twice as long.

Klowns fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 10, 2014

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Klowns posted:

They are both 250 cert guns. Only the Ursa and NS-15 costs 1000 certs, but just get the Nanite package when it goes on sale again and you get all the Nanite System guns for $30.

What?? how the hell did i miss this i looked at the gun since loving beta and its always been 1000 certs thats why i saved it for last. I was complaining for loving YEARS that it wasn't worth 1000 certs.

If the matrix has messed up and now its only 250 certs totally loving get it as its an awesome gun but your all figments of my imagination because its 1000 certs and i'm going to catch you slipping up trying to change it to 250 certs now just like you made the PPA/lolpods automatic on me.

I'm loving on to you.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Arghy posted:

*LSW

You think thats silly but they have loving videos, the guy casually loving headshots a dude at 230m with a goddamn orion and you can tell the way he shoots is all reflex from using the same gun for so long.

AAAAAAA holy poo poo love ya browser history this is the video http://www.twitch.tv/mkeyckor/b/536144020?t=3h50m50s sinsterlordofmatherson is in there also. *This is the one where he totally tracks a dude through a wall, it could just be a good prediction or something else.

That is the most boring loving video I have ever watched about Planetside 2. These guys fight like old people gently caress.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

I prefer the NS-11C to the Pulsar C and the X-11 to all of them, how does this make you feel? gently caress the pulsar C.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

simsense cumshots posted:

I prefer the NS-11C to the Pulsar C and the X-11 to all of them, how does this make you feel? gently caress the pulsar C.
He wasn't stating an opinion of preference, he was stating a fact, and that fact is true: The Pulsar C is the most accurate automatic in the game. That doesn't mean you have to like it. Some people like the TAR, which is more or less the least accurate gun in the game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

simsense cumshots posted:

The NS11c is pretty sweet cause you can put a suppressor on it and pretend youre a space navy seal

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

That is the most boring loving video I have ever watched about Planetside 2. These guys fight like old people gently caress.

Thats not the one i thought it was also thats how you pad your stats, small fights against poo poo people. I killed 14 dudes in a row and the highest BR was 60, i was able to survive multiple flankings because everyone was bad.

There was one where hes got the waypoint down on a sundy and he shoots at a dude just spawning at the sundy and gets 2 head shots and kills him at 230m with a loving orion.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gotcha bitch.

Away all Goats posted:

The NS11c is pretty sweet cause you can put a suppressor on it and pretend youre a space navy seal

Up until your toe touches the water on hossin and you die like a bitch, then yeah this works.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

No automatic is more accurate than the SAW/Reaper/Tross/X11, not in the entire game, because everything else starts at a deficit.

The only thing the pretenders to that particular throne can claim is that they have better accuracy for shots fired long after the True Damage Tier Guns have already killed their targets :smugdog:

Edit - I will TK any NC I see using an NS primary and if it's an 11A I'll also burn their house down

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Epic High Five posted:

No automatic is more accurate than the SAW/Reaper/Tross/X11, not in the entire game, because everything else starts at a deficit.
If you're not moving, sure. Why aren't you always moving? Too fat off all your freedom? :smaug:

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...

Nakar posted:

If you're not moving, sure. Why aren't you always moving? Too fat off all your freedom? :smaug:

Sorry you can't handle the Double McFreedom with Pheonix. Not everyone can handle what NC is serving up.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Epic High Five posted:

The only thing the pretenders to that particular throne can claim is that they have better accuracy for shots fired long after the True Damage Tier Guns have already killed their targets :smugdog:

Edit - I will TK any NC I see using an NS primary and if it's an 11A I'll also burn their house down

Long after? No, it was at the same time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nakar posted:

Psh, if you want to move grab a Cyclone. It's a great 1.0 ADS strafe gun and it has the added benefit of making Arghy cry.

For being a perch and snipe LA rear end in a top hat or a general purpose close-mid weapon for engie the X11 is second to none.

But yeah I mean we are too fat from this freedom buffet but that's not a factor here

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Klowns posted:

:psyboom: haha what why are are you hip-firing the Orion? It's a .75 ADS with a small mag size you should be ADSing always with it and insta-gibbing whatever happens to get in your sights.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you want to train yourself not to hipfire 75% ADS guns, get the SVA-88 and put a Compensator on it. You will learn very quickly not to lean on hipfire. Then go back to the Orion and you'll get it. Eventually you can get the NS-15M and unlearn that when it's needed.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

zeal posted:

The correct answer to that is Polaris btw, the flare and the LSW are poo poo bad at range.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gonkish posted:

Oh my god, someone auraxed the Spiker. Masochism is real! REAL!

http://www.np.reddit.com/r/Briggs/comments/2d252f/spiker_auraxium_it_wasnt_worth_it/

Holy poo poo man. Just...holy poo poo. How do people aurax weapons so fast? Let alone Aurax weapons that are so painfully bad?

Seriously, the Spiker is the most painful weapon I have ever had the "honor" of trying out in VR. Slow as gently caress burst fire (because of the charge fire you have to wait so loving long between shots), slower as gently caress charge, and the charge isn't even a guaranteed kill on a VR dummy.

The guy is not kidding when he says it would be better used as a bludgeon.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
GODSAW trip report: Disappointing. I was doing better with the Anchor. It is pretty nice having 100% uptime due to never having to reload, though, so you can go on a mad spree here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

Arghy posted:

Wow I didn't know AC were such homophobic shitters, not reviving them anymore.

• Locked thread